Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Obi-Wun

It's true. It's passive. You can search the online playerbase for the type of class you want, and click on their name and pm them to see if they are interested. You can also flag yourself in that list as LFG.

There is no AI forming groups. You are looking through a list and there is choice as to who you invite and don't, and whether or not you want to accept. You can also plainly see if there simply are no people available in the class that you need, so it does reduce the frustration a bit.

Sounds like a better implemented version of the social tab we currently have here. I'm all for this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think it's fair.

I think it is.

MMO communities were good when you were forced to do this.

MMO communities today are hives of scum of villainy BECAUSE of stuff like LFD tools.

I could care less about your enjoyment, I want a good community.

If people can't socialize, they have no business playing an MMO.

This genre was superior when it was a niche genre BECAUSE it only attracted social players.

Now we get everything from console kids to people without the simple skills to spell properly.

We gained better graphics and bigger production values, but we lost the heart of the MMO genre.

Somehow I doubt The Old Republic will become a shining new bastion for MMOs that force players to guild up and socialize to engage in any group content.

Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot are still running. You should go back to those now before TOR disappoints you.

It will not be this way for long. Bioware has a massive investment to recoup and the modern MMO features are on the way. Dual spec in a few months, LFD tool perhaps a year down the line.

Hopefully before we get the tool, we'll also get a global chat channel for LFG.

MMO communities today are hives of scum of villainy BECAUSE of stuff like LFD tools.

I could care less about your enjoyment, I want a good community.

If people can't socialize, they have no business playing an MMO.

This genre was superior when it was a niche genre BECAUSE it only attracted social players.

This is simply not true. To imply the entire game was ruined by something as trivial as a 5 man dungeon is just ridiculous. Saying the community went from awesome to "hives of scum" is equally ridiculous.

People were jerks in EQ too. The game was just a lot harder so fewer made it to the end. That has nothing to do with grouping tools.

Edited by Gohlar

He had a valid point because you can't logically complain about player demographics and there is nothing a developer can really do to correct it (see Blizzard's attempts).

So people who want a LFD because they can't get into a group as DPS don't have a valid point, but people like the ones here who want and LFD because they can't find a group 10 days after official launch do have a valid complaint? Now I'm totally lost.

What was your valid point? Someone else's complaint is invalid if they complain about wait time, but your complaint is valid because you complain about no LFD? Seriously?

No. There is simply nothing that can be done if a person chooses to play a class/role that is very popular. Repercussions of picking a popular class/role fall on the player's shoulders, not Bioware's. Don't try to take what I'm saying out of context. The LFG tool is a quality-of-life issue that creates a better environment for all players involved.

I'll paste this again.

Step 1) Open the Social Window.

Step 2) Click the box that flags you as LFG and set a note saying why you're LFG.

Step 3) Search for 'LFG' in the box at the top. This will present a list of everyone who is flagged as LFG, no matter where they are - in fleet, on a planet, or anywhere else.

Step 4) Whisper any who seem suitable as groupmates and ask them if they would like to group. If they say yes, invite them. Because you've done step 2, you may even receive whispers asking you if you want to group with them. Reply as you see fit.

Step 5) Periodically repeat steps 3 and 4 until your group is complete.

I already know of this. No one uses it. I did an /lfg who last night when my server had a 15-minute queue and I got ten results. I've done eight flashpoint runs and I was unable to grab anyone with an LFG flag up each time. It was all people on the Republic Fleet with no flag up.

Bioware needs to come up with a better system or at least hit the player over the head with it until they realize this is all they have to work with so they better start flagging up.

Except for the people who can't get into groups.

The average time to get into a group is drastically lower when there is an automated tool. I would spend hours in vanilla and TBC trying to get a group with my rogue. I ended up re rolling because of it.

Edited by Gohlar

The average time to get into a group is drastically lower when there is an automated tool.

In other games, maybe. You can't say that about this game because there just isn't enough data yet. The longest I had to wait to get into a group was 15 minutes, and that's as pure DPS in the 30s. Each server is different.

I'll paste this again.

Step 1) Open the Social Window.

Step 2) Click the box that flags you as LFG and set a note saying why you're LFG.

Step 3) Search for 'LFG' in the box at the top. This will present a list of everyone who is flagged as LFG, no matter where they are - in fleet, on a planet, or anywhere else.

Step 4) Whisper any who seem suitable as groupmates and ask them if they would like to group. If they say yes, invite them. Because you've done step 2, you may even receive whispers asking you if you want to group with them. Reply as you see fit.

Step 5) Periodically repeat steps 3 and 4 until your group is complete.

Note that this entire process can be done from anywhere, whilst doing anything, as long as you're not already in a group doing something else.

Correct. This is why I said it needs to be made more obvious.

Really? It requires all of your attention at all times to periodically open a window every so often and whisper someone? It doesn't require mine - it only requires that I remember I'm looking for a group, so I pause occasionally to do this.

It not only fails to be well explained, it's not well implemented. It only shows the first 100 results. I often don't even see my own name when I have my tag on. Secondly when you do group, your tag doesn't turn off so often when you see people with a LFG comment by their name they're already grouped or have given up and don't want to any more. You rarely if ever see more than one person who bothers to use it anyhow.

If it were improved then it would be great, not as efficient as something automatic but I'd take it over spamming a chat channel.

But it doesn't solve the problem of there being far more people looking for a group than people who are willing to create one.

Edited by alkanterah

How does it work? I'm actually for a good LFD tool, I just like debating the point.

Basically it's a more in depth tool than what SWTOR has currently.

You "register" a LFG message that gets spammed in a global wide channel (but SWTOR doesn't have a channel like that.) The message has a link that people can click which will then send a whisper to the group leader with 2 more links, one to invite the person and one to decline them. The whisper also comes with the class and level of the person who applied.

That way it makes it easier to setup a group for an instance. But also you can open a window with all the groups currently looking for people so you can see if there's a group already made that you can join.

Here's so screenshots I took a while ago for a different thread.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0038.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0039.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0041.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0042-1.jpg

Also clicking on the link in the global chat shows you the group info. (Last pic).

I already know of this. No one uses it. I did an /lfg who last night when my server had a 15-minute queue and I got ten results. I've done eight flashpoint runs and I was unable to grab anyone with an LFG flag up each time. It was all people on the Republic Fleet with no flag up.

Bioware needs to come up with a better system or at least hit the player over the head with it until they realize this is all they have to work with so they better start flagging up.

Then your complaint should be that people don't use a tool that is already available .. not that another/new/different tool should be put into the game.

Next time start a thread that explains how to use it .. don't whine because your idea for a LFD tool is not in the game.

Somehow I doubt The Old Republic will become a shining new bastion for MMOs that force players to guild up and socialize to engage in any group content.

Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot are still running. You should go back to those now before TOR disappoints you.

It will not be this way for long. Bioware has a massive investment to recoup and the modern MMO features are on the way. Dual spec in a few months, LFD tool perhaps a year down the line.

Hopefully before we get the tool, we'll also get a global chat channel for LFG.

Or, how about I continue to express my distaste for an LFD tool in a hope that Bioware will see that a significant amount of people don't want it and, hopefully, they won't implement it?

My job here isn't to convert your opinion on the matter. What you believe or don't believe is of no consequence.

When you debate someone, you don't try to change their mind, you use them as a tool to express your ideas to the audience so as to persuade them.

The person you're debating is just a target dummy.

You create a pro-LFD post, I create an anti-LFD post so that when the devs read the forums they see that many of us dislike the LFD idea.

You can believe whatever you want on the subject, your individual opinion is of no value in the long run.

Basically it's a more in depth tool than what SWTOR has currently.

You "register" a LFG message that gets spammed in a global wide channel (but SWTOR doesn't have a channel like that.) The message has a link that people can click which will then send a whisper to the group leader with 2 more links, one to invite the person and one to decline them. The whisper also comes with the class and level of the person who applied.

That way it makes it easier to setup a group for an instance. But also you can open a window with all the groups currently looking for people so you can see if there's a group already made that you can join.

Here's so screenshots I took a while ago for a different thread.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0038.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0039.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0041.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/intank31/Aion0042-1.jpg

Also clicking on the link in the global chat shows you the group info. (Last pic).

Ok, that looks pretty cool. Reminds me of WAR's group interface a bit, that seemed to work pretty well when there was a lot of people playing it.

What this game really needs at this point...is a Dungeon Finder. It was a huge success in other MMO's, no reason for it not to be in this game.

Pros:

1. Can continue questing while waiting for group to form.

2. Prevents trolls from sitting there ruining General Chat while they are bored trying to fill a group.

3. Proves that BioWare can do something like this. Buys street creds.

Cons:

1. Some people think it ruins the community...but I think they are wrong. They obviously have not sat for an hour trying to fill a Flashpoint group.

2. People who think like that are probably in a huge guild and have no trouble filling groups. We're usually filling 2-3 of 4 and just need that last role.

Dungeon Finder like WoW? NO ABSOULTELY NOT

LFG and LFM feature like DDO and EQ2 where groups can set up if they need more people and what class? YES ABSOLUTELY!

In other games, maybe. You can't say that about this game because there just isn't enough data yet. The longest I had to wait to get into a group was 15 minutes, and that's as pure DPS in the 30s. Each server is different.

A tool would still help I bet. You could quest while looking for a group too which is very nice.

Does not having an LFG tool change that? Your argument is so stupid. What about having an LFG tool makes it less likely for an overcrowded class to get into a group?

I'm just debating the points you raised, it's not my argument that is stupid. You are generalizing and extrapolating your own personal experiences and desires onto the rest of the community.

Or, how about I continue to express my distaste for an LFD tool in a hope that Bioware will see that a significant amount of people don't want it and, hopefully, they won't implement it?

My job here isn't to convert your opinion on the matter. What you believe or don't believe is of no consequence.

When you debate someone, you don't try to change their mind, you use them as a tool to express your ideas to the audience so as to persuade them.

The person you're debating is just a target dummy.

You create a pro-LFD post, I create an anti-LFD post so that when the devs read the forums they see that many of us dislike the LFD idea.

You can believe whatever you want on the subject, your individual opinion is of no value in the long run.

You must be Amish.

A tool would still help I bet. You could quest while looking for a group too which is very nice.

Yep, I have to agree with you on this. As I said, I'm for a good tool, I just debate some of the arguments that people make when they clamor for one.

Then your complaint should be that people don't use a tool that is already available .. not that another/new/different tool should be put into the game.

Next time start a thread that explains how to use it .. don't whine because your idea for a LFD tool is not in the game.

The tool would suck even if everyone did use it. It's garbage from 2003.

And no, I will not start a thread explaining how to use it.

You guys who love the current awful LFG system better buckle up and get to work explaining it to everyone you can find.

Otherwise, people will continue to not know this terrible LFG 'system' even exists, and we'll get our LFG tool all the earlier.

I been a little against this in my past, but after spending hours after hours getting group or make a group for flashpoints I would actually say it is okay.

So how it is now I have outleveled 2 of my flashpoints which I haven't done yet. I am not guilded neither so of course that doesn't help me much but then again I am not in a rush to join one just for the sake of joining.

I hope they fix this, but I also understand people who are against it. But for now I will talk from a selfish part which means I actually want to complete some of them without spending several hours get one up and running.

To be honest I don't mind if a LFD tool is added, it really just makes things easier for people. The only thing I will say is it shouldn't be cross server due to the fact that it would harm a server. Lets face it, the current way to find a group isn't the best and Bioware has slacked on it. Although what I will say is if you're in a guild, finding a group for things becomes a lot easier, at least in my experience.

Now I'm off to go and play the game rather than sit on the forums.