Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The D5-Mantis Sucks

Nimmuz

The ship looks bad-***, mean and ugly and ready to fork you up. Messy, rusty and deadly. Fits perfectly with the BH. Looks like a russian helicopter and drives like a miata. The Fetts would be proud. Canderous would be proud. The only thing it's missing is a war basilisk in the cargo bay.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Kuat Drive Yards (KDY) D5-Mantis Patrol Craft

A rare, best-in-class vessel, the D5-Mantis is an alpha predator in the cold depths of space."

from the holonet, what's not to like? Apart from the engine/wings whatever, but other then that I love my mantis.

*makes frantic grabby hands*

Oh man... now that would be the best sidekick ever, plus it doubles as a speeder!

Speeder ? More like artillery shell. The way Ordo described it in the first kotor really stuck with me, dropping from orbit, guns blazing, taking out defense towers and spreading panic and mayhem...ahhh...

I didnt like it at first or the jedi ship either or the trooper ship but after playing since early beta, I love em all. They are quirky, and look exactly like what you think a bh would use.

There is no crap it is all there. Your not a Hutt after all.

mal

I enjoy my mantis, i love the style of it, and when you think of the story, you stole this thing, and everything in hutta is junk so it makes sense.

I am glad the Mantis is my ship. :)

You stole if off Drumons Kass numb-head, so yes it should have been nice and shiny. And as for it being to small, the Mantis is tall and long, it has 2 decks which I like. The fury and Phantom only one 1 deck which I hate, I think all ships have the same amount of rooms, 1 open, hold/work space, crew bunks, capt room, meeting room etc.

"Kuat Drive Yards (KDY) D5-Mantis Patrol Craft

A rare, best-in-class vessel, the D5-Mantis is an alpha predator in the cold depths of space."

from the holonet, what's not to like? Apart from the engine/wings whatever, but other then that I love my mantis.

I actually like how the engines deploy when it is in flight.

The collapseable engines are actually one of my favorite parts... having them pushed out like that has to do wonders for ship agility plus what someone mentioned earlier about them not blowing up under my backside. Now what I don't like is our callsign... just what is a 'Scree'? The battlecry of an angry small monkey? Edited by Nexxa

This is by far my favorite ship in the game. I loved the D-5 Mantis the minute I got it in Beta. It's utilitarian, everything is accessible and easy to get to, and the locations of where everything is makes sense to me. It's a rugged patrol craft; most if not all patrol craft throughout history looked rugged.

I understand the hate though, because not everyone wants an ugly ship. This ship has character, fits the class, and makes sense to me. This ship certainly does not suck.

I really like the Mantis

As many have said it really looks and feels the part and is very easy to get around inside

I was also reminded of a cross between slave 1 and Firefly as others said . It feels like a "working" ship... Heck I dont have time to repaint it - I am too busy on contracts

It also does the rock n'roll "devil horns" thing with its outboard guns when it is landed - which makes me smile when I walk up to it

The D5 is awesome. It does remind me of Serenity/Firefly also, which is fitting. It's very utilitarian made and realistic, unlike the one sith ship that has tunnel vision. The layout inside of it works and is cool. My only gripe is the transporter pad and the carbonite guy is just stuck in a corner.

IMHO the Mantis has the best interior layout of all the Empire ships, if not all the ships in the game. It's straight-forward and doesn't feel like a maze of hallways.

It's shape is a little ungainly, like a giant wedge but the extended engines are pretty awesome.

Edited by iain_b

My feelings is we had to steal the ship to get it so we should have been able to steal ourselves one we liked which for me would be an IA Imperial Phantom lol.

It's military intelligence. You'd never get off-planet with that ship.

The collapseable engines are actually one of my favorite parts... having them pushed out like that has to do wonders for ship agility plus what someone mentioned earlier about them not blowing up under my backside. Now what I don't like is our callsign... just what is a 'Scree'? The battlecry of an angry small monkey?

Scree is a dangerous slope of loose rock.

Scree is not to be messed around with, you could turn your ankle, fall down, roll down the hill of jagged rocks and get perforated.

Its one of those things in nature that you dont think about but can kill you painfully and violently.

Reminds me of Serenity :p

Ugh now I dont like it as much, thanks!!! Freking Joss Weedon, what a fruit.

And why the eff are they letting him direct the new Avengers bah! at least since the story is set from previous films he wont get much say in the story at all.

As a modeler I think the D-5 Mantis, while not the prettiest of the ships, definitely the most interesting. Compared to it the Fury and Wraith are just boring. It took me a little while to get used to the Mantis. But I just love all of the detailing on the hull. The worn dilapidated paint job. The very utilitarian feel to the interior with all its stairs and catwalks (and yeah Firefly comparisons of the interior are unavoidable). Those flexible engine and weapons pods. All of it just screams Star Wars Ship far more than the sterile and plain designs of the Fury or the Wraith. The only other ship even half as interesting is the Jedi one.

When some garage kit manufacturer makes a model of a ship from this game, it will be this ship first and foremost. (with the large split nosed Imperial cruisers being the second model made).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.