An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

25 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

it says it without really saying it

You know as much as I welcome every opportunity to hone my hermeneutic skills, sometimes a clear statement in black and white would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Whykara
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Most likely the LiveStream will  strictly focus on  7.4  features & such, as well as maybe some semblance of future SWTOR directions over the coming months.

We shall see though.

I think this 100 percent correct. Bioware SWTOR, now Broadsword SWTOR, has always held their cards very close to their vest and not gotten ahead of themselves (to badly mix pithy phrases). We can surmise as to why they don't give extended, longer-term roadmaps like other games do, but speculation on the point is just that -- rank speculation.

I know @Nee-Elder has read this (snicker, he reads Dev posts -- trust me -- I know he does! :tran_wink:) post by @JackieKo

but she typed last week:  

On 9/19/2023 at 2:29 PM, JackieKo said:

Wanted to chime in here and say that in regards to 7.4 proper, we're preparing for the update livestream and will be making a formal date announcement in the coming weeks. We'll be covering a lot of info, for sure. I'll be making a separate thread for the date announce, and will post updates there per usual. So stay tuned! 

The word that stuck out for me is "proper" -- I interpret that to mean that the livestream will focus almost exclusively on 7.4. On one level, I get it. But -- and it's a big ole' Hutt Butt...

There is palpable consternation that 7.4 is the end of our adventures in a galaxy far, far away.

I consider MMORPGs to be a long-term investment for obvious reasons like character development. I have no doubt that I will remain subscribed through 7.4 as I expect it to be good and I have 8 characters caught up on the story all the way through 7.3 / Old Wounds. 

If, however, there is nothing in the upcoming livestream or prior to the release of 7.4 that there is a plan is to have new story content (not just new Galactic Seasons) post-7.4, I will almost certainly just run those 8 characters through the new content and then promptly unsubscribe. I'm not going to invest in game when there is no path forward.

Doing so does nothing to hurt me since I'm invested in other games. And, of course, if by some chance one year after 7.4 is released, there is new content, I'm sure I will resubscribe for that month, but only for that content and not before -- which hurts Broadsword's bottom line.

So, to @JackieKo, as an expert in communications, even if there is some "semblance" to quote @Nee-Elder that there is some form of life for SWTOR after 7.4, I strongly encourage Team SWTOR to convey that message given the inherent DNA of why many people play MMORPGs. Operative term being "semblance" -- it will help keep players like me supporting you financially.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty the Grey Knight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jdast said:

So, to @JackieKo, as an expert in communications, even if there is some "semblance" to quote @Nee-Elder that there is some form of life for SWTOR after 7.4, I strongly encourage Team SWTOR to convey that message given the inherent DNA of why many people play MMORPGs. Operative term being "semblance" -- it will help keep players like me supporting you financially.

And I do hope it’s “Live” and not another prerecorded “Live Stream”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• Dev Post
13 hours ago, ronin_chi_lao said:

I know it was mentioned to be happening shortly by either @JackieKo, @EricMusco or @KeithKanneg, but was the date for the live stream given?

Good morning, 

A date for the stream has not been announced yet. When we do make the announcement, it will be its own thread and pinned in General Discussion as it has been with past announcements. Thanks! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

And I do hope it’s “Live” and not another prerecorded “Live Stream”. 

What do you mean?  Previous livestreams have had pre-recorded portions and the devs were clear and up front about those.  I don't recall a live stream that was entirely prerecorded.  My impression is livestream complaints were more focused on the lack of interaction between the presenting devs and livestream participants.

• Like 5

On 9/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, Jdast said:

We can surmise as to why they don't give extended, longer-term roadmaps like other games do, but speculation on the point is just that -- rank speculation.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that the reason they don't release any more roadmaps is because their last last roadmap (7.0 "10th Anniversary") was an utter, colossal, unmitigated, failure of incompetency. 

That's not "rank speculation." It's called looking at the past. 

Edited by septru
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/25/2023 at 7:20 PM, Whykara said:

it would be great to get an introduction post from Broadsword directly.

And people thought I was crazy! I know it's a rather short introduction, but I really appreciate Rob Denton's statement in the 7.4 article.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• JackieKo unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Unfortunately, EA has always favored the big guilds and Gold Spammers, not so much for the little guys/gals who play the game as a simple outlet in daily life, and to escape today's thoughtless gaming community take overs.  I once loved the game SWTOR, until I realized the gold spammers were never removed, and were hackers within the game, same spam companies with lots of in-game members being paid to rename and continue selling.  So, no real faith left in BIOWARE, EA, and other associates. So I look to see poor STAR WARS venue will remain falling into the red zone, and never moving back into the black is wishful thinking.

56 minutes ago, Atoam said:

until I realized the gold spammers were never removed

What exactly is a "gold spammer"? Do you mean the unsolicited posts in fleet chat? It costs nothing to post those in the fleet chat. So if a spammer was banned for doing so, they make another account and do it again, and again, and again. One easy way to demonstrate this is try adding each of these spammers to your ignore list. Watch as your ignore list grows, but the spam remains constant.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:22 PM, Traceguy said:

What exactly is a "gold spammer"? Do you mean the unsolicited posts in fleet chat? It costs nothing to post those in the fleet chat. So if a spammer was banned for doing so, they make another account and do it again, and again, and again. One easy way to demonstrate this is try adding each of these spammers to your ignore list. Watch as your ignore list grows, but the spam remains constant.

... and what is the reason for limiting how many legacies we can have on our ignore list... hmm?

22 hours ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

... and what is the reason for limiting how many legacies we can have on our ignore list... hmm?

Because that information has to be stored somewhere, and the limitation limits the sheer volume of information that has to be stored.