An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

• Dev Post

Hi all , 

No doubt you’ve read the reports that Electronic Arts is evaluating opportunities to give the game and the team a new home, which includes conversations with Broadsword. Unfortunately, we can't answer any questions you may have at this time.

Game Update 7.3’s June release will remain unchanged and patch notes will be released a day before per usual. 

All future content updates are also moving forward as planned, including 7.3.1 and 7.4. We are looking forward to the future of Star Wars: The Old Republic and its continued growth.

–Keith

• Like 8
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 26

So it's true, otherwise I suppose this would be a post denying it?

Broadsword seems to be working primarily as a studio that "maintains" games in a status quo, looking at their other titles and how they phrase their recruiting, I suppose this would mean the same for swtor.

hello maintenance mode

Edited by RikuvonDrake
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, KeithKanneg said:

Hi all , 

No doubt you’ve read the reports that Electronic Arts is evaluating opportunities to give the game and the team a new home, which includes conversations with Broadsword. Unfortunately, we can't answer any questions you may have at this time.

Game Update 7.3’s June release will remain unchanged and patch notes will be released a day before per usual. 

All future content updates are also moving forward as planned, including 7.3.1 and 7.4. We are looking forward to the future of Star Wars: The Old Republic and its continued growth.

–Keith

I figured it was a matter of time before you chimed in, Keith. Hopefully this all works out, and TOR stays around as long as Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot.

TOR survived the Dark time of 2012 before FTP, Lucasfilm being bought by Disney, the EU becoming Legends, the "disappointments" of Anthem and Andromeda, and 2020 as a whole, if those events didn't lead to "Maintenance Mode", I highly doubt this will.

And if my 15 minutes of googling has told me anything about Broadsword Studio, it's that they actively support and update the two games they support, so I see no reason to start saying the sky (Or Star Fortress) is falling.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

This game has been mistreated for years now, I can't see it getting any worse to be honest. If anything, a new studio would probably be a good thing. 

I just hope that if EA goes through with this it all goes smoothly and without lay offs. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JowyyKazza said:

After several moments of mildly freaking out, I am going to remain calm, and hope that this is a positive thing going forward. I just hope people don’t end up out of work over this. Do the right thing BioWare. 

Currently, roughly 70-80 people are part of the core development team of The Old Republic, more than half of whom are expected to move to Broadsword. Those remaining with EA would have an opportunity to look for roles elsewhere within the company, but may otherwise face layoffs.

Sounds like layoffs

• Thanks 1

Broadsword was originally Mythic Entertainment, who got their start making the MUSH I played all through college (Dragon's Gate).  They abandoned the MUSH for more lucrative ventures (DAOC), but wouldn't let the playerbase take over running it because of proprietary code, so one of their execs took the server home and ran it out of his basement until it died.

So... on the one hand, they made something I truly loved.  On the other hand, they abandoned it when it was no longer profitable.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, xxSHOONYxx said:

Sounds like layoffs

Also important to note that broadsword has their own dev team at their studio so I think it likely swtor will have the same amount or close to it of devs as they do now. However we can only speculate at this point in time whether it will be good or bad for swtor. Personally I have been very unhappy since 7.0, so I will hope for the best.

• Like 2

For my personal take on this as someone who has dislike the direction of the game since 7.0, I think it's overreaction to say the game is ending. it will be a big change for the game, and from what we currently know, there are no plans to shutdown or but the game on maintenance mode for a couple of reasons.

1. According to IGN there moving over half of the swtor team there, and according to them swtor has 60-80 devs which will be about 40 devs transferred to that studio. If they were done with the game they would of just fired them.

2. They would just shutdown the game or cancel all development if they were done with the game like they did with Anthem, they would not move it to another studio. Also since EA exclusive contract with Disney on star wars games ended this year, they probably have to pay Disney to keep the game in service, which is something EA would not do if it wasn't worth it imo.

However the arguments if this will mean more or less content, will it be good or bad for the game will have to be a wait and see. I really hope for the best.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

I cant believe this, I mean on one hand it makes sense that  after years of mis-management and ill treatment on the part of bioware/E.A. executives that with the chances for more star wars multiplayer games this one would be put on maintenance mode, but it still feels like a horrible dream, despite the games rocky foundation, i was hoping against logic that this game would turn around and be saved, that the fan support would save it, but i suppose that was a pipe dream. I'll continue to play it, but if what i am reading about it being put on a second indefinite maintenance mode is true, i will be sorry to see it dwindle.

• Like 1

I will be here until the end. My love for the devs and everyone that has worked on this project. I'm 28 now and the past 12+ years (including alpha and beta testing) has had TOR be a part of my life. It got me through some really tough times and I made some wonderful friends. I hope the game continues to be worked on, not just for me but for the passionate developers who want to continue to tell a great Star Wars story in this unique format. This news triggered some emotionsssss ❤️

• Like 20

Change can be scary, but change =/= bad. For all we know they might actually do some good to the game. Will reserve judgement till i see facts and just be hopeful till then; rather than sink in doomsayer mood.

Edited by InfernalShinobi
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, InfernalShinobi said:

Change can be scary, but change =/= bad. For all we know they might actually do some good to the game. Will reserve judgement till i see facts and be just be hopeful till then; rather than sink in doomsayer mood.

The studio in question is known of running games in maintenance mode and doing little to no updates on any game. But to be honest that's been this games lifespan since roughly KotFE sooo ?

1 hour ago, RikuvonDrake said:

So it's true, otherwise I suppose this would be a post denying it?

Broadsword seems to be working primarily as a studio that "maintains" games in a status quo, looking at their other titles and how they phrase their recruiting, I suppose this would mean the same for swtor.

hello maintenance mode

God i hope not, seems like a sad way to leave the game with an unfinished story and held in a perpetual state of undeath, 

• Like 2

Just now, ThanderSnB said:

At this point, I will be happy if they can just keep doing new seasons. I'd love to have proper expansions, but if that's not possible, I want the game to continue so I can keep playing through the existing stories.

I hope they at least give the story a proper ending, to some degree, i know MMO stories don't usually get a conclusion other than "that's all folks" but i would like a proper "and they ride off into the sunset" style ending.

• Like 3

In any case ...  I appreciate the response from Keith!  Some might have chosen a different path.  I think perhaps many of us had figured out that the team was in a difficult position.  I understand what that is like in past personal RL experiences.

Maintenance mode?  

Future games released?

Tons of questions will now flood the internet.  And no doubt some that simply have a microphone in front of them (with several thousand subscribers) will become experts to offer their worthless two cents worth of wisdom to the vast emptiness of the great void! 

For whatever it's worth ... I do hope the best for those that are caught up in this within BW.  

EDIT  ... I suppose I should have my son disconnect the links with my models today as well!  (Kind of sad really).

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

At this point, I will be happy if they can just keep doing new seasons. I'd love to have proper expansions, but if that's not possible, I want the game to continue so I can keep playing through the existing stories.

And yes, Please more galactic seasons, ❤️ 

So, 7.3 is on track, so? It does not even continue on the main story. 

All this Malgus sh*t since ossus, a new CGI trailer and you can't even conclude the aniversary story?

The new management may be better, may be worst. But BW not concluding themselves the story they started... that is sad, really really sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1