PVP Map and Medals Feedback

Shabir_Dhillon

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Stop trying to police my posts. If I want to ask the BioWare team a question, I have every right to.

You certainly do.  And i have every right to correct you.  But correcting you isn't "police'ing" you.

So stop being hyperbolic & melodramatic and just use the intel  i provided you and move on.

Everything else you replied with is classic deflecting projectionism and won't be indulged.

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: she gonna add-ignore me soon i bet lol

10 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Just wanna make sure i'm understanding you properly here, since i had thought  PVP wz's & arenas were coded "capped" at 332 iRating ( or did that jump to 334 now with 7.2 update?  i forget )  ...  Are you saying the  *reverse bolster* code  just simply isn't working again?  Or are you saying there's something else  certain players have discovered?

I339 gear has about 400 more overall stats than i336 gear. Just inspect someone with i339 next time you see one. Do I have screen shots yes.  Will I post them no.  It is there for everyone to see in game. I almost exclusively pvp I see it all the time all day every day. 

Edited by Enomars
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Samcuu said:

A 339 rating gear set simply does not give you thousands more to ur stat pool. If so prove it and let's get it fixed. This is why I asked for a screen shot lol. 

I don't run 332 gear with gold Augs i run i336 gear with Gold Augs. there is a ~400 point gap between i339 and i336. Go inspect someone in a pvp match and do math yourself. It is so obvious that I don't need to post screen shots. 

There is a HUGE difference in i328 and no augs and i339 gold augs.  Go do the math. I don't need to post screen shots EVERYONE can inspect in a match. EVERYONE can see it. Simple addition. 

item rating affects Medals. 

2 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Wrong again.  They read, they listen, they understand, they care.  However, THEY own the game (with EA) .  We just rent server time.

Nee, hard disagree, it is a known fact that for the longest time they have not be listening to people in this forum or any of their other outlets like Reddit for many things in regards to PVP. Don't sit there and pretend that they have.

Consequently, they will always care far more about what THEY want, how THEY prefer the game to run, doing what THEY believe is "best" , 

You're right, they will always do what THEY want to do, even if it is the wrong thing to do.

Once players accept that as a given reality, while still maintaining some level of controlled 'customer' outrage (when justified) , it makes adapting & playing the game much much easier.

The consumers do have a role and power in controlling this game, it's just that any people don't realize it or other players choose to act contradictory to the method that works. In a ideal world, 1 player = 1 vote, but that is not how companies often look at things or the reality. If player Z is spending $300 in Swtor that's essentially 20 subs, which is 20 votes and 20 players. If 20 players use their power and stop paying sub, stop spending money, vote with their wallets, their only meaningful impact is being ignored/ cancelled out by mr. $300, which means another 20 would have to cancel to make an impact. But wait, Mr. Whale decided to drop $1000+ because he decided he wants to collect some Hypercrates. Then that $1000 becomes 66 Subs/ players/ votes or more that no longer matter, again cancelling out any meaningful impact. The only way to win the game is not to play, but of course some players will not accept that and will just smooch up to Bioware and all their decisions.

Edited by Weswhitebore
Had to specifiy PVP

On 1/19/2023 at 5:53 AM, LadyAdmiral said:

Here is the list of medals for reference for anyone posting. Sorry about the formatting, just copy pasting it over.

---

Some medals are specific to certain match types, while others are general medals.

Type Medal Description
  PvP Demolisher Medal Damage - Deal 30,000 damage in a single hit
  PvP Annihilator Medal Damage - Deal 60,000 damage in a single hit
  PvP Paladin Medal Tank - Preventing 150,000 damage to your allies in 1 life
  PvP Protector Medal Tank - Preventing 350,000 damage to your allies
  PvP Medic Medal Heal 30,000 damage in a single heal
  PvP Trauma Surgeon Heal 60,000 damage in a single heal
  PvP Healer Medal Healer - Healing 1,500,000 damage
  PvP Reinforcer You joined the match after it started
  Huttball Running Back Score the Huttball
  Huttball Safety Intercept the Huttball
  Odessen Wargames Powered Up Apply Powerup to a Point
  Odessen Wargames Hold the Line Capture a Control Point
  Ancient Hypergates Energized Gather an Orb
  Ancient Hypergates Nexus Capture the Pylon
  Voidstar Primed Plant a bomb in Voidstar
  Voidstar Bomb Squad Defuse a bomb
  Warzones Offense Basic Gain 1 attacker point
  Warzones Offense Bronze Gain 2,500 attacker points
  Warzones Offense Silver Gain 5,000 attacker points
  Warzones Offense Gold Gain 7,500 attacker points
  Warzones Offense Platinum Gain 10,000 attacker points
  Warzones Offense Master Gain 12,500 attacker points
  Warzones Offense Diamond Gain 15,000 attacker points
  Warzones Defense Basic Gain 1 defender point
  Warzones Defense Bronze Gain 2,500 defender points
  Warzones Defense Silver Gain 5,000 defender points
  Warzones Defense Gold Gain 7,500 defender points
  Warzones Defense Platinum Gain 10,000 defender points
  Warzones Defense Master Gain 12,500 defender points
  Warzones Defense Diamond Gain 15,000 defender points
  Nodes Superiority Capture a node on Novare, Civil War or Yavin
  Warzones Dauntless 1 10 minute victory
  Warzones Dauntless 2 9 minute victory
  Warzones Dauntless 3 8 minute victory
  Warzones Dauntless 4 7 minute victory
  Warzones Dauntless 5 6 minute victory
  Warzones Dauntless 6 5 minute victory
  Voidstar Dauntless 1 5:30 minute download
  Voidstar Dauntless 2 5 minute download
  Voidstar Dauntless 3 4:30 minute download
  Voidstar Dauntless 4 4 minute download
  Voidstar Dauntless 5 3:30 minute download
  Voidstar Dauntless 6 3 minute download
  Arenas Swiftness Round 1 Winning round 1 in the first minute
  Arenas Swiftness Round 2 Winning round 2 in the first minute
  Arenas Solider Medal Get 4 kills in an arena match
  Arenas Commando Medal Get 8 kills in an arena match
  Arenas Champion Medal Win an arena match
  Arenas First Blood Round 1 Get first blood in round 1 (your team kills an enemy first)
  Arenas First Blood Round 2 Get first blood in round 2 (your team kills an enemy first)
  Arenas First Blood Round 3 Get first blood in round 3 (your team kills an enemy first)
  Arenas Winning Round 1 Win round 1
  Arenas Winning Round 2 Win round 2
  Arenas Survivor Medal Survive a round
  Arenas Quick Draw Get a killing blow in an arena match
  Arenas Destroyer Deal 1,000,000 damage

In Warzones, there is a specific set of medal called “Offense” and “Defense”, earned by gaining “attacker” and “defender” points. These points are earned very specific ways in each match type, and are unrelated to simply doing damage, healing, or tanking. Here is how these medals are earned for each match type.

Type Description
  Huttball Catching a pass from a teamate +250 Attacker Points
  Huttball Passing the ball to a teammate +500 Attacker Points
  Huttball Defeating the ball carrier +500 Defender Points
  Huttball Throwing for a Score +2250 Attacker Points
  Huttball No points for picking up the ball from the center.
  Huttball No points for killing other players offensively or defensively (unless they are the ball carrier.)
  Huttball killing in your endzone??? someone told me this but I didn't get any messages in chat when I tried doing it
  Huttball intercepting a pass??? i havent done this myself yet
  Huttball Scoring with the Hutball [sic] +2500 Attacker Points
  Yavin 4 / Alderaan Civil War / Novare Coast Defending a Controlled Turret +500 Defender Points
  Yavin 4 / Alderaan Civil War / Novare Coast No points for stopping an enemy from attempting to capture your team's turret.
  Yavin 4 / Alderaan Civil War / Novare Coast Capturing a Node +1000 Attacker Points (Yavin for sure, Alderaan for sure, Novare?)
  Yavin 4 / Alderaan Civil War / Novare Coast No points for killing other players offensively or defensively.
  Ancient Hypergates Guarding a Defensive Objective: +500 Defender Points
  Ancient Hypergates Retrieving an Energy Orb +1000 Attacker Points
  Ancient Hypergates No points for capturing a pylon? (You do get the 'Nexus' medal.)
  Ancient Hypergates No points for delivering an orb after you pick it up from the center. (You do get the 'Energized' medal.)
  Ancient Hypergates No points for killing other players (though this will contribute to your team's Ancient Hypergates score.)
  Voidstar Guarding a Defensive Objective: +500 Defender Points
  Voidstar Planting a bomb in Voidstar +2500 Attacker Points
  Voidstar Downloading the Datacore +1000 Attacker Points
  Voidstar No points for trying to arm or defuse the bomb, but not succeeding.
  Voidstar No points for stopping an enemy from arming or defusing the bomb.
  Voidstar No points for getting the blue terminals to open the forcefields or bridges.
  Voidstar No points for strategically killing players from the center between the fences.
  Voidstar No points for killing other players offensively or defensively.
  Odessen Wargames *** I think the Offensive and Defensive points are maybe not tracked in chat on Odessan warzones. I could be wrong,

Are these confirmed by BioWare or someone data mining as being all the medals available? Just wondering if there could be any missing? I’d love to see an official list to compare if you have a link?

8 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Are these confirmed by BioWare or someone data mining as being all the medals available? Just wondering if there could be any missing? I’d love to see an official list to compare if you have a link?

Xam Xam also has a list of medals that she spent her time writing up. She was actually the 1st one to write it up and give people an idea of the medals in the WZs. Which is not surprising considering she actually frequents PVP and has done so for quite sometime. Thought this might help you as well Trixxie, better to have two sources than one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JKbnCK4h1BqdAbfjNAdwUQBLZaCofCX4oFa71yitqa8/edit#gid=0

24 minutes ago, Weswhitebore said:

Nee, hard disagree, it is a known fact that for the longest time they have not be listening to people in this forum or any of their other outlets like Reddit for many things in regards to PVP. Don't sit there and pretend that they have.

You make a fair point , but i think i need to elaborate on exactly what i meant by they "listen", because i think either you misunderstood my opinion or i didn't articulate things enough (aka my fault) . ...  What i mean is: They do listen, they do ask for feedback and read it , but the problem is ( perception or real )  is that they never seem to USE any of it.

On that aspect, i tend to agree.   I mean, just look at my forum sig and see me yelling since launch into the brick-wall-void  'suggestion box' forums. :ph_lol:

24 minutes ago, Weswhitebore said:

But wait, Mr. Whale decided to drop $1000+ because he decided he wants to collect some Hypercrates.

Yeah dude, don't even get me started on that whole  "legal"  money grab Cartel Market  racket .:mad:

People always say i'm "defending" BioWare all the time, just cuz i post  official Dev links & intel & info ( to help correct certain inaccuracies ) but the truth is i've been criticising BioWare for YEARS, particularly & especially on the CM. :csw_jabba:

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: these new forums are such a pain to multi-post & reply sometimes

1 minute ago, Nee-Elder said:

What i mean is: They do listen, they do ask for feedback and read it , but the problem is ( perception or real )  is that they never seem to USE any of it.

Sometimes, sometimes. There are many PVP reports that weren't opened but they, they do seem to read some things and never use it.

2 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

Yeah dude, don't even get me started on that whole  "legal"  money grab Cartel Market  racket .

Yep. That's a deep can of worms.

3 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

eople always say i'm "defending" BioWare all the time

Nah, you're not nearly as bad as some of the people around here or in certain guilds that are against speaking anything bad about Bioware at all. You have some moments that's not looking favorably upon you but it's not that bad fam.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Weswhitebore said:

Xam Xam also has a list of medals that she spent her time writing up. She was actually the 1st one to write it up and give people an idea of the medals in the WZs. Which is not surprising considering she actually frequents PVP and has done so for quite sometime. Thought this might help you as well Trixxie, better to have two sources than one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JKbnCK4h1BqdAbfjNAdwUQBLZaCofCX4oFa71yitqa8/edit#gid=0

Thanks for the link. Not sure why BioWare can’t do something like this that’s official. It would save the community a lot of time. Especially when they have the easiest access to the raw info.

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Not sure why BioWare can’t do something like this that’s official.

They sort of  did here (some medals data at least) : https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20221209

( i actually meant to post that ^ link to you earlier , but forgot amidst my other replies )

*Someone else can quote me and re-post  this for Trixxie , since i'm pretty sure she has me on-ignore

3 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

They sort of  did here (some medals data at least) : https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20221209

( i actually meant to post that ^ link to you earlier , but forgot amidst my other replies )

*Someone else can quote me and re-post  this for Trixxie

@TrixxieTriss

3 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

since i'm pretty sure she has me on-ignore

My bad for the off-topic, but: that's good information. Can you please tell me how to add someone to my ignore list on the forum? I can't seem to find this option.

Maybe you can link me to a relevant thread?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, sGroggy said:

My bad for the off-topic, but: that's good information. Can you please tell me how to add someone to my ignore list on the forum? I can't seem to find this option.

Maybe you can link me to a relevant thread?

Yep, here ya go --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925109-the-new-forums-are-here/?do=findComment&comment=9739629

( it still shows you quoted posts  though , but just doesn't show the NAME of who posted the quote -- sorta like how 'ignore' handles emotes in-game  )

Edited by Nee-Elder

12 hours ago, Enomars said:

I339 gear has about 400 more overall stats than i336 gear. Just inspect someone with i339 next time you see one. Do I have screen shots yes.  Will I post them no.  It is there for everyone to see in game. I almost exclusively pvp I see it all the time all day every day. 

Ya know I've tested out 332 vs 336 gear personally and I use 332 gear because my stats went down when I put the 336 gear on. For whatever reason as you said the endurance stat gets boosted but you actually lose power/mastery iirc. So it's totally not worth it to wear the 336 gear btw.

I get that medal count is tied to PVP season progression now, but there's already a weekly limit on points. It's not like people are going to gobble up all the rewards if they consistently earn 14 medals - the game literally won't let them. Gimping medals just adds insult to injury by making you feel like you're doing worse when you're not. And that, over time, discourages people from playing the game.

8 medals per match has been "the average" for as long as most PVPers can remember. Now, you might see 6 or even 4 with little to no change in your strategies or gear. Getting even 9 medals feels rare, and 14 makes you feel like a superstar until you remember that's only because of arbitrary manipulation and not actual performance.

Was this the intention of 7.2? To make it look and feel like you're doing worse? Because if it wasn't, I'd strongly suggest reverting the medal rate to what it was before. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:08 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

I had lots of people submit them from playing in-game and did my best to cross-check them. I had hoped for an official list but none was posted. I don't think any are missing (except lots of missing Attacker/Defender points info). I also shared my info/findings with Xamxam who has a great list that you got shared as well earlier.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:44 AM, LadyAdmiral said:

. I had hoped for an official list but none was posted.

As far as i'm aware, all BioWare posted ( officially ) was this: https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20221209

My guess is they wanted for either players to discover the rest on their own in-game as they played , or from PTS intel  just like you & XamXam & others provided. :ph_thank_you:

----

As a side note, and data for this thread:  i ran about 50+ PVP matches yesterday/sunday ( roughly 2 wz weeklys & 2 arena weeklys , both on my healer mains )  and my best 'healing per' so far is 17k.

*i still have yet to see ANY players ( teammates nor opponents ) with a final  20k 'healing per' in the match records.  So if any of you have a screenshot , please post or PM.  Thanks.

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: still waiting for someone ANYONE to post 20k 'healing per' proof

@Shabir_Dhillon @JackieKo - Ty for the opportunity to provide feedback regarding medals.

I didn't play a lot of WZ's prior to 7.2, but have played close to 200 matches as a Corruption Sorceror/ Heals since 7.2.

I've also taken numerous screenshots, partially to help one of the SWTOR content creators confirm the medals people were receiving in every War Zone.

While I'm not an expert in PvP in that I'm not the highest scoring or the best at my class, I've seen where some of the deficits in medals or difficulties come into play.

In WZs that have bunkers or Turrets like Yavin, Novare, & Odessan the best way is to acquire 8 medals is to combine Defending with your class (for damage or heals or protection), along with capturing a node. Defending alone doesn't do it, as at best I've seen people get perhaps 5 medals from Defending. Even if more are possible, the general tactic that is NECESSARY for conquering a bunker or turret and taking it is to -keep the enemy away for as long as possible-. 

So the very necessity of knocking back, stunning, harrying to get an opponent to chase you, grabbling/ yanking them to you -away- from the bunker is going to actively impair anyone from acquiring defender points. Everyone invariably will be continuously and IS continuously pushed away from the zone in which applies for "Defender", since it seems that the amount of time spent successively in close proximity without interruptions (WHICH ALSO INCLUDES DYING), tends to disrupt getting the medals.

You add this into the fact that I only see the better players who have most of their gear achieving any 60K medals within my guild or team, leaving it down to the medals we -actually- DO receive from these three WZs mostly on:  #1 - first medal (30K) for heals, dps, protection. Then if we aren't dying a lot, the #2 most common medal - 1.5 million reward. From there -if- you fight within the given area for a turret, bunker, node --- #3 most common are the Defender Medals UP TO 5,000 points for Defending.

There is also the objective where you take a node/ turret. 

So on average most of us are doing anywhere from 3 - 5 medals, with 6 or 7 being possible if we manage to cap a node AND get the elusive 60K (heals, dps, protection). 

I've noticed that I don't always get "Basic Attack" and "Basic Defense" medals. So that even if I do attack or do defend, those aren't always guaranteed in every WZ. 

With the best tactics in any game being to stop enemy players one at time as they traverse the field or prevent them from getting close to the objective, and just keep preventing them from achieving their objective through interruptions, stuns, and killing them (which isn't even all that necessary sometimes) is that it creates a system where players who aren't in ideal situations with extensive gear & class knowledge aren't getting any more than those basic 2-3 medals centered around their class, leaving them to have to make up for it through other objectives. But when you can't actually stay at a bunker and defend it or successfully cap a node, then you won't ever have enough remaining medals to make up for the extra 5-6 that you need to receive 8. 

Given that I seldom see any of those matches get won so quickly that the game ends abruptly, if any Dauntless medals apply. 

In most of those I range from 5-7, and never more than 8 or 9. When I get the 6+ for medals, what happens, is rather than me going to where the group is constantly harried, as a healer, I am safe guarding the East or West Bunkers with someone else, where all I do is spam lightning to break stealth and heal myself periodically when an enemy comes around looking for an opportunity to steal the bunker. It's ONLY in those WZ matches where I don't die a lot and camp in the "Safe" bunker that I get the points I need. Otherwise, tbh, I'm never CLOSE enough to a bunker to get Defender medals, because when I heal people, I need to be out of the massive melee AoE effects which means standing outside of their range making myself less of target, and by default out of the range of any Defender medals because I cant' afford to also be caught in any melee AoE stun/ slow effects, when my stun breaks to are necessary to save when I need to resume healing asap.

Voidstar ------------------

Voidstar is nearly identically with the one exception being the time mechanic that works in favor of teams with stealth or extremely good dps. For Voidstar, again, the best way to farm for 8 medals is Defending. But also like the other three zones, the best way to TAKE A DOOR or ANY defense point, is to get the Defenders -away- from the door. The further away they are the more time you buy for your team to plant the bomb. 

So while I can get medals for the 30K, 1.5 million, 2,500 defender, Defense, Attack, and usually I can also snag 1-2 more Defender medals in the process of standing at the doors. But given that the most ideal thing to do is to keep interrupting defending players trying to remove bombs, or stun/dps you and getting them away from the door, getting your 60K heals and higher is hard in some classes.

UNLESS we are either better off than our opponents by a huge amount in terms of dps or heals, where we either create a stalemate of defending at the door for the FULL FIVE MINUTES (and thus 2-3 more Defender medals), or you get that Stealth / DPS ideal combo going that you keep the enemy busy enough and you zoom through the doors faster they the enemy team thus automatically getting you DAUNTLESS medals (if you attack first or second, doesn't matter as much as long as you get far in the first two minutes you're nearly guaranteed the win WITH extra medals for beating the team). It's really a combination of FAST or LONG DEFENSE, in conjunction with class-oriented medals that seems to get me the most for VS. In fact VS when I get both Dauntless and Defender medals along with a few heals is the ONE WZ I've gotten 12 medals on. (12 being my personal highest). But again that 12 was based on speed which isn't possible without strong stealth or really strong tanks on your team. 

--------------------------------

As for Huttball. Well most of us throw our hands up because with Huttball, a lot of people seem to get confused as to how much kills matter and what the best tactics are. We do the poorest in Huttball because it's a MANDATORY RUN ALL THE TIME. 

In the other WZs you have times you run, and times where you're going to be at a Defending point. But with Huttball, if you're not moving the ball, and moving around to get the ball, or heal / protect the ball player, you're going to lose the match. So Defense? Unless you manage to keep the ball in the middle-zone where it spawns, you're out of luck. 

A majority of the medals Iv'e gotten and others have got amount to 1-2 for Class (heals, damage, protection) and MAYBE a scoring medal or interception medal. I often average 3 medals in Huttball, because I'm spending most of my time -running- with limited heals available while moving, the healing someone, which means I can't adequately be running through to intercept the ball, or kill the ball handler, and it also means I'm smack in the middle of all the damage, stuns, etc. So I spend more time dying, trying to avoid melee/ranged dps attacks, and trying to figure out where the heck the ball went to when I respawn after dying, than actually healing and getting medals. In fact, most people end up fighting in the Pit or outside of the mid zone where you're going all out to stop that one last throw the enemy team needs to make to get it past your defensive line which is NOT your in zone. Defending IN the actual zone = their instant win, because all they have to do is catch the ball for one second longer than it takes for you to knock them back/ stun them and it's an immediate score for them.

8 medals in Huttball basically means a team that has excellent DPS/ Defense, and knows what they're doing to score constantly. Where they capture and control the mid-zone, keeping the enemy team too busy running back from dying, or being knocked away from the ball handler, to actually make an attempt to steal the ball. Then having 1-2 escort the ballhandler, toss it back and forth, with someone already waiting (often stealthed) in the in zone.  About the best times for anyone to get 8+ in that is to literally take time throwing the ball back and forth in mid, with 5-6 members of your team (I've even seen all 6 and play medal farming via ball passing), then make a rush with 3-4 players to score. It seems popular in some games to just give up on scoring numerous times, over just passing the ball, and keeping it to your team and winning with a 1 point lead in a like 1 or 3 point total game.

-----------

As for Hypergates, a person -can- get 8, but again, it requires defending the pylon. So if you can get your attack, defense, and basic class medals, PLUS at least gathering an orb or capturing a pylon, your best bet for a full 8 (at least as a healer that cant' get more than 5 millino heals in a match), is to defend the pylon. That tends to be when I get the most. When it's a combination of the three categories of: Class (heals, damage, protection), Objectives (orbs/ pylons), and Defending. But, if I'm trying to follow the group to help them control / keep the enemy from thier pylon or from the orbs? I can't get enough heals in because  Im' stunned/ dying a lot and am not capable of earning those Defender/ Objective medals. Since I need to be focused more on keeping my team mates alive and using CC effectively to keep the enemy from interrupting my team mates from capturing the pylon as a Sorc Healer. 

------------

I'm lucky with all the running back and forth healing people, to be able to actually FOCUS on objectives by the very nature of having a healing class with good CC abilities. It's that CC support that I -have- to use in teams that have a large mix of skills from beginner to advance that gives my teammates the best advantage, and at the same time by the very nature of these WZs, the necessary use of CC adds to the focus being pulled away from the big +60K damage/ heals (over over 3 /5 million heals, damage, protection) because you're NEVER in a perfect team when you queue randomly as solo or with just a few guild members than than an entire team of 8. It's just that some of those medals aren't feasible with so many new or returning players still trying to gear, relearn their class, and relearn (or learn) the war zone now that other medals they USED to get have been removed.

---

My apologies for writing a book. I dont' know how to give concise feedback. -_-

• Like 2

I know I'm super late to the party (I’ve been busy). But here goes!

My experience as a healer echoes other responses in this thread. Getting 8 medals feels like a chore. 

Before I get into specific map feedback, there are a couple of things that factor into most matches (that affect getting medals) that I believe need to be addressed. Of course, this is all from my personal experience but I’ve found generally that most of my Twitch viewers feel the same or have had similar experiences.

There is a TLDR at the end for those who don’t want to read the full post.

Defender and Attacker Points/Medals

I would like to see some clarification on how attacker and defender points (and therefore medals) are earned. What pace are they meant to tick? How much do kills factor in?

Points (attacker and defender) can tick faster if you are killing enemy players within the vicinity of an objective. However, points tick much slower (if at all) if neither team owns the objective they are fighting over.

Across the majority of maps, attacker medals are hard to get (except Huttball–kind of…). Again, understanding how attacker points are rewarded would perhaps help in understanding why attacker medals are very rare. 

The only scenario outside of Huttball where I have reliably earned attacker points is when the enemy team has capped a node in a semi-stalemate situation (Yavin Ruins) but my team is out-DPSing the enemy team. So, in other words, the enemy team is trickling in just enough to stop us from capping the node but we keep killing them hence the attacker points.

Competitive/Tied/Stalemate Matches

In competitive matches where neither team can get the key node (on node maps) and the match is more or less tied, it is significantly harder to get medals for both teams. There are pretty much zero attacker and defender medals/points being earned and dauntless medals are highly unlikely the longer the match goes on.

This is also the same for Voidstar stalemate matches where no one is dying and the attacking team can’t cap the door. The defending team is earning defender medals at a slower pace (because of the lack of kills) and the attacking team doesn’t really get any attacker points.

This scenario needs to be addressed. In most matches like this, both teams are ultimately trying to get the objective they are fighting at (more or less). Prior to 7.2, combat medals generally made up for the lack of attacker/defender medals so you could still get to 8 medals in stalemate scenarios. Most of these were of course removed when 7.2 launched.

Stalling

Another situation I’ve experienced a couple of times is, my teammates have gotten two nodes (in say Yavin/Novare/Civil) and I, and (at least) one other teammate, have managed to prevent the enemy team from capping the third node for the majority of a match. What are we rewarded with? Nothing. Yes, you might get a couple of dauntless at the end but there’s no way you’re getting 8 medals. So helping your team win the match by stalling earns you little.

8 Medals

Getting 8 medals a match has been a part of PvP for many years as a key mechanic for gaining maximum rewards. Conquest objectives, maximum Valor potential and even the new PvP Seasons objectives are all tied to gaining 8 medals a match. This is the benchmark that has been set. If you get your 8 medals, you get all your potential rewards. Up until 7.2, all players who put in some effort would be able to get 8 medals for the majority of matches.  

How do the devs feel about this benchmark? Is it intentional that it is harder to reach 8 medals than it used to be? 

The removal of the more combat-oriented medals has definitely made an impact on some match types more than others. 

Now to go into specific map feedback.

Novare/Civil/Yavin

In my experience, for the most part, these maps seem to be the easiest to get 8 medals on. Although when your team is losing, it’s harder…

Hypergate

There are a few issues with Hypergate.

Firstly, in maps like Novare/Civil/Yavin, all players in the vicinity of a node get credit if a teammate caps the node. This is not the case in Hypergate. Only the person who actually caps gets a medal (but no attacker or defender points?). Again, everyone else close by gets nothing. 

Hypergate, in general, is a problematic map in terms of design. It is a node map like Novare/Civil/Yavin. But, there is also a central area where engagement is encouraged to get orbs or prevent the enemy team from getting orbs (from an objective standpoint) and to periodically take shelter. No objective points are rewarded for preventing orb caps either (food for thought). 

Most players treat Hypergate like any other 3-node map even though there is no node at mid. The pylons are played as off nodes with mid being considered a key area to keep control of. Hypergate has always been played like this, to be fair, but we used to have other medals we could get to make up for lack of objective medals (again, combat medals most of which were removed when 7.2 launched). 

Yes, post 7.2 it is becoming a little more common to have Hypergates where fighting is more concentrated Pylons... But in my experience at least, it is still much more common to have most engagements happen at mid for most of a match. Again, I believe this is a product of the way the map is designed. 

And finally, another key mechanic of Hypergate to consider (and one that is mostly unique). Killing other players affects the score. 

With this in mind, I believe the developers have two options. 

Change the map mechanics to further encourage primary engagement at the pylons.

• Discourage players from going into mid (except during explosion) by removing orbs?
  • Increase objective points gained at pylons

Or simply bring back some of the combat medals that were taken away just for Hypergate ONLY. Especially given that killing players affect the score. Here are some examples of medals to bring back.   

• Killing Blow
  • Destroyer - Deal 1,000,000 damage
  • Soldier - get x number of kills (should be higher than arenas)
  • Commando - get x number of kills (also should be higher than arenas)
  • Perhaps also consider bringing back more role-specific medals?

Huttball

Players who assist with scoring ie. pass the ball to a teammate who then scores, no longer get any attacker points. Pre-7.2, passing the ball to someone who then scored would get you some attacker points. This is leading to players being increasingly selfish when it comes to scoring and being less likely to pass so that they can guarantee themselves a medal or two. 

Voidstar

I've had a very mixed experience with Voidstar. In some matches, I get defender medals for staying near the door when defending and in some, I don't. I haven’t yet been able to figure out why this is the case. I tend to stick near the poles/posts rather than being right at the door which could be a factor sometimes. But beyond that, I don’t understand why it’s inconsistent.

Odessen

Is working pretty much the same as it did pre-7.2 as far as I can tell (although this map pops far less than all the others, so it’s hard to know for sure).

Medal Suggestions

I don't think it would hurt to bring in the Destroyer Medal (Deal 1,000,000 damage) to warzones. This doesn’t really encourage number farming at all as any player that number farms will blow this amount of damage out of the water anyway. It’s a good benchmark for newer players to aspire to and easily achievable for most players without putting too much effort in! 

I would also love to see maybe one or two more medals brought back for the other roles too!

Increase the ‘radius’ for earning attacker/defender points medals around objectives. Especially the doors in Voidstar.

Reduce the requirements for the following medals

• Annihilator Medal - Deal 60,000 damage in a single hit
  • Trauma Surgeon - Heal 60,000 damage in a single heal

The 60k single heal and single hit are not achievable for all classes. I believe they should be reduced a little bit. Perhaps the Demolisher and Medic Medals will need to be adjusted as well to accommodate changing the higher ones? Either way, adjustments are needed!

Reinforcer Medal - I have had at least one Voidstar match where I was not rewarded a reinforcer medal when joining the match after it started. I’m not sure how often this happens or if it happens with other maps. Perhaps it was a one-off glitch?

Okay, I think that’s about all my feedback for the time being. Thank you for your time. :)

Here’s the TLDR for those who didn’t want to read the whole post.

• Attacker medals need to be addressed across all maps.
  • Look at attacker medals in Huttball in regard to passing and assisting with scoring.
  • Give everyone in the proximity of the pylon cap in Hypergate credit for the cap!
  • Add combat-oriented medals back to Hypergate ONLY (that were removed prior to 7.2).
  • Reduce requirements for the Annihilator and Trauma surgeon medals.
  • Bring back some role-specific medals, especially Destroyer (1 mill dmg).

Oh and for medal references, here's my list: - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JKbnCK4h1BqdAbfjNAdwUQBLZaCofCX4oFa71yitqa8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Pandoras_Jar
fixed spacing and added medals list link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Some final thoughts...

Removing the combat medals, while making seemingly minimal adjustments to objective medals, has led to it being much more difficult for players to get 8 medals for most matches and in most scenarios.

In stalemate scenarios or in losing scenarios in particular, the combat medals provided the chance to get some more medals given that objective medals are harder to get in both scenarios.

That is the key take away for me at least thinking about the state of Warzone gameplay and earning medals. There's always flow on affects for removing a thing/s from an ecosystem. :)

Edited by Pandoras_Jar
Typo
  • Like 1

Some final thoughts here as well...

It's impossible to get 8 medals in most matches that are losses. Some exceptions are Odessen: I haven't really paid attention to what the medals come from there but there are more objective-based medals there, or at least the objective points there that count towards medals fill up much quicker. 8 medals while still losing is not uncommon there.

This is very strange compared to wins: there are many, many medals just from being on the winning team, win in less than 1 minute (arena), win in less than 10 minutes (warzone), win in less than 9 minutes (warzone), and so on, i think there's for 8 minutes and 7 minutes as well, why?

Finally (and this is important), I like to level Valor faster (I still like the battlemaster/war hero shells and titles!), so until 7.2 I purchased a lot of Major Valor Boosts from the Cartel Market. But lately I've saved my money there by not buying more since I don't get 8 medals in every match, making it a worse deal since I don't get the full amount I did before 7.2. Before 7.2 I thought I got a good deal because with a boost it gives me around 3k-4k points, with just a couple hundred points less if I lost. At least I got something even being on the losing team. Now I feel like I'm getting less reward for my queuing than I did in 6.0, 5.0, 4.0, and even 3.0 (that's when I started playing). A loss now give me ~1200 points. If getting less than 8 medals is the new norm going forward, consider just untieing the Valor gains from medals and just from how long the warzone/arenas lasted (2500 as the minimum, if arena lasts more than 3-4 minutes per round gradually increase it towards 3-4k, same with warzone, if it goes past 12 minutes, gradually increase the gains), just a suggestion. Maybe I'll consider purchasing more boosts (and I like to fill the GTN up with them also). Or just make 8 medals easy to obtain for everyone again, in every warzone AND arena.

• Like 1

Medals are pointless.

Someone peels and stuns two node guards while a stealther caps the node. Who should get the medal? Do two people guarding one node deserve more medals than the 6 trying to cap another? A healer pocket healing their fluff damage farming premade will run more numbers than one trying to do the right thing by their entire team. Who should get more medals?

Remove medals, stop wasting dev time on them

• Thanks 3

On 1/18/2023 at 9:44 PM, Shabir_Dhillon said:

Hi everyone, 

We wanted to follow up on the discussion regarding PvP Medals, and we’re looking into feedback in relation to  their difficulty of being obtained. We would like your feedback on which maps do you feel are the toughest to reach 8 medals on and why. We would really like feedback on both Warzones and Arenas. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

This guys are legends, so guys give us your feedback about pvp medals but unlike any other real dev-community team we wont give you the list of medals we want feedback. Unless a hero player gives a list noone will have any idea about medals they will give feedback. What a joke. So do you expect feedback but dont even give a clue how they work. This alone shows you dont give a sh.t about feedbacks you just pretend like you care. 

Edited by omeru

I'm not sure if anyone on the dev team still wants feedback on this issue, and to be honest I have stayed away from pvp for the past couple of weeks because I it is a total joy kill for me when I am unable to reasonably advance pvp season or conquest points for competing in a match.

Nonetheless, I just did a Voidstar.  I was on the losing team and only got 6 medals.  My total damage done for the match was the third most at about 6.5MM points, and I got the usuals 30k and 60k medals and etc.

For that I got 625 conquest points, and 1 pvp season point.  That is pathetic, and not worth the effort that I put into the match.  Pvp just isn't that fun when compared to other parts of the game to make it worth doing when I get so little out of it.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 7:52 PM, Exly said:

I'm not sure if anyone on the dev team still wants feedback on this issue,

They do --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927605-content-from-game-update-721-on-the-pts/

*Very curious to hear from players whether or not the part about  "Matchmaking has been adjusted to make it more likely that large groups are matched up against each other. "  is gonna help with the whole premades situation?