The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian

Alright so, I have just about tried everything mentioned in this thread and I'm still getting error code: 7 machine is not compatible blah blah

I am on a 27 inch iMac quad core i5. ATI Radeon HD 5750.

Bootcamp is running Windows 7 Ultimate and I gave it 200Gbs

2.8 GHz Processor Speed

DirectX 11

4GB RAM

According to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/, I pass on everything except CPU speed. Said my gfx card was above the minimum required specs which is what I thought may have been the issue all along.

I'm really stuck, I have no idea what else I can do.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by JMacishere

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so, I have just about tried everything mentioned in this thread and I'm still getting error code: 7 machine is not compatible blah blah

I am on a 27 inch iMac quad core i5. ATI Radeon HD 5750.

Bootcamp is running Windows 7 Ultimate and I gave it 200Gbs

2.8 GHz Processor Speed

DirectX 11

4GB RAM

According to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/, I pass on everything except CPU speed. Said my gfx card was above the minimum required specs which is what I thought may have been the issue all along.

I'm really stuck, I have no idea what else I can do.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Your machine is way above minimum spec, including your CPU, so that's not the problem.

Error Code 7 is a Windows error and it's a very common error people are running into with TOR's launcher, not just with Boot Camp users. Check the thread in the customer service forum under the Hot Issues sticky. Bioware is looking for a solution to this problem, I have no idea what's causing it, and it looks like they don't either.

Sup guys, pretty new to the forums here. Installed Windows Xp Pro with service pack 3. Partitioned at 90 gbs. At the launch screen its saying can't write patch due to insufficient disk space. Please help

Got a 2010 15" macbook pro with i5

Check your hd space, how much does it say you have available? Remember, while installing you need enough room to download the files and install them, so you need some extra space during the install. The final install folder should be around 20 GB.

XP shouldn't be using up that much room though, so I'd check to see what else is taking up the space.

NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT

Low Settings in EV 20 FPS.....

WHAT IS WRONG?! Please help:)

If your drivers are up to date, and all of your enhancements are turned off in the nvidia control panel, I'm not sure. Have you compared to others with the same specs to see what fps they're getting? There's a thread in the customer service forum under the Hot Issues sticky that talks about common problems people are having with low FPS. You might find some more info there.

Edited by daemian

Your machine is way above minimum spec, including your CPU, so that's not the problem.

Error Code 7 is a Windows error and it's a very common error people are running into with TOR's launcher, not just with Boot Camp users. Check the thread in the customer service forum under the Hot Issues sticky. Bioware is looking for a solution to this problem, I have no idea what's causing it, and it looks like they don't either.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help :) I'll check that out.

I know this forum is riddled with "will my computer work" questions. But, before I drop $120 on Windows 7, I'd like to make sure my Mac will run SWTOR decently.

Your help is appreciated :)

Here are my specs:

2011 MacBook Pro 13" (February 2011)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel Graphics 384 MB

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

Edited by frostyable

I know this forum is riddled with "will my computer work" questions. But, before I drop $120 on Windows 7, I'd like to make sure my Mac will run SWTOR decently.

Your help is appreciated :)

Here are my specs:

2011 MacBook Pro 13" (February 2011)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel Graphics 384 MB

Thanks for your help.

:confused:

It will run, but due to the integrated Intel HD graphics you'll have to keep the settings fairly low. Make sure you get the 64-bit version to take advantage of all of your RAM.

Hi guys.

I have a mid 2011 iMac that runs SWTOR fairly well with most settings on high but shadows and bloom turned off. My FPS are always changing between as high as 115 and as low as 30 and are never around the same number for over a few seconds. it is still playable but i was wondering if there is something i can do to stop it going from really high to rally low (its not in a certain place, it happened everywhere.

I am using windows 7 x64 via bootcamp and my specs are.

2.5ghz intel core i5

4gb 1333 mhz ddr3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Is there anything i can do to make it better thats on the actual computer and not in the game settings? I here people saying stuff like change the AA but i can't see it in the games settings and i am new to pc gaming so i don't know if there is a program on the computer itself.

Also i have a 2010 Macbook pro and that can only run on everything on low or off and i get a constant 25-30 FPS. like the last question is there anything i can do to get higher FPS and run it on higher settings?

Here are the MBP specs

2.3 ghz i5

4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

If you are using an ati card you must get the newest Catalyst software and update the drivers from it. You may have everything working fine on the mac side but your Windows version needs the new drivers NOT your graphic card.

Took me days during beta to figure why my screen was stretched out.

Search for the Catalyst software on ATI, install it and run/tweak it. I am on an old 2x2.8 quad core with 6Gigs and it run fine with no fps issues whatsoever. I also removed the Loadingscreen.jpg image so that the 10 seconds load screens are less boring

is mine an ATI?

I have gone into windows and check for updates to my card and it says it is up to date.

do i still need to download the catalyst thing?

thanks

I run this on a old 27" 09 iMac. You should be fine =) Same settings infact...though my character resolution is beyond bad...weird because every other texture is good.

If you are using an ati card you must get the newest Catalyst software and update the drivers from it. You may have everything working fine on the mac side but your Windows version needs the new drivers NOT your graphic card.

Took me days during beta to figure why my screen was stretched out.

Search for the Catalyst software on ATI, install it and run/tweak it. I am on an old 2x2.8 quad core with 6Gigs and it run fine with no fps issues whatsoever. I also removed the Loadingscreen.jpg image so that the 10 seconds load screens are less boring

Do you have a direct link because i searched google and there are a load of different files called catayst and are all different sizes and i dont know which is the right one

EDIT: i am now level 10 and the areas i am going to and the heroic quests (if i do them solo or group) have a really low FPS less than 20. also what does the number in brackets mean? in one place my FPS was 15-20 but in brackets its like 5 FPS.

im still on the starting planet and the first area i am getting 50-100 FPS but the later on missins on the starting planet puts mt FPS right down

Edited by lewys

Wow. I'm rather surprised that you all would release a game that doesn't work on Macs since there is such a growing population of Mac users out there... Plus when the major competitor to this game, WoW, works on both systems.... Seems like business suicide to me!

To those of you who are thinking about setting up bootcamp on your macs, a word of warning: it does take up a significant amount of space and will cause your computer to be slower.

Wow. I'm rather surprised that you all would release a game that doesn't work on Macs since there is such a growing population of Mac users out there... Plus when the major competitor to this game, WoW, works on both systems.... Seems like business suicide to me!

I know a lot of Mac users, but most of them don't play games. I'm sure they have statistics about Mac users probability of buying TOR. I doubt they would do it if they didn't make any money.

Also, WoW didn't have it for a while.

i have downloaded it but when it runs it says

AMD catalyst cant be downloaded due to incompatable hardware/software on your computer

your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter

Can anyone help me with this??

To those of you who are thinking about setting up bootcamp on your macs, a word of warning: it does take up a significant amount of space and will cause your computer to be slower.

I'm not going to get into the discussion about a Mac version, that's best left for another thread. But I will address this comment: using Boot Camp to install Windows will not make your machine run slower.

When set up properly, Windows will run on on a Mac identically as it would on any computer with the same specs. So if you have an i5, 4GB RAM, 6750m, etc. the performance will be exactly the same. OS X will not run slower unless you're completely out of hard drive space or your drive is severely fragmented.

Windows does take up some room, a 100 GB partition is recommended (by me) for Windows + TOR. I guess people will have to decide if it's worth it to them to have 2 operating systems on one machine.

Also, WoW didn't have it for a while.

WoW was Mac-compatible out of the box on launch day, but that's, like I said, a topic for another thread. Until there's an OS X client for TOR, everyone will have to install Windows to play, hopefully this thread helps with that.

Edited by daemian

Running flawlessly on high settings after installing it on a new full optioned imac27 just the other day.

But as usual prepare for your comp to get hot on warmer days.

Real hot!

You can use a free app called SMC fan control in OS X, when you reboot it should keep the fan settings in Windows. Another option is to use a program like MSI afterburner (also free, that's what I use) in Windows to set a custom fan profile. Every little bit of cooling helps.

Just wanted to add that I was experiencing the low FPS bit on a new iMac 27" with the HD6770 graphics unit, Win7 64 Bit, and 16GB of RAM. I tried all the lower setting and dumping the resolution way down, all to no avail.

I found that 2 things really changed all the issues I was having.

1. I was playing in windowed full screen mode. I first made sure that the desktop resolution matched my game resolution. I don't know why this made a difference, but it did. My FPS jumped up by about 12 frames. I recall this happening to me in WoW a long time ago, so I tried it, and sure enough it made a difference.

2. I saw it posted either in this thread, or one of the many other threads to try the Catalyst 12.1 beta drivers. I did a full removal of the old catalyst suite, ran ccleaner to clean up any of the junk kicking around, and rebooted. Once I was back on the system I deleted every ATI/AMD folder I could find. Ran ccleaner again in the registry, and removed anything related to ATI. I then went in device manager, and removed the video card. Rebooted. When I came back into windows, it did the auto install, but this time it just called it a generic VGA adapter. I then proceeded to install the 12.1 beta, and BOOM FPS through the roof. I did turn vertical sync back on because I had read some other discussions about the GPU load/heat when it was off. I don't have any monitoring software installed currently, so I didn't want to risk running it too hot. The 60FPS that the system is basically pinned at now, is so much better than the 12-15 FPS I would get in many areas.

Anyway, thanks to the person who posted the 12.1 beta drivers (wherever that was), and hope this info helps some others.

Can anyone help me with this??

Seems like a common issue, I don't know why it works for some people and not for others. Here's a related discussion on Macrumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194369

"ATI Catalyst Mobility driver (iMac and Macbook use mobile version of ATI GPU) is only a reference driver with limited support for system vendor.The installation software include a verification to prevent driver download and installation on some products (including Apple iMac and Macbook) to protect against disabling features or functionality provided by the system manufacturer (Apple).

Sure Catalyst Control Center can be installed, but the driver isn't updated.

But ATI beta drivers don't include the software verification and so can be installed on a iMac or Macbook. Latest 12.1 (12/12/2011) preview driver (which should install fine): http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121Previewdriver.aspx"

Note: if this doesn't work you'll have to reinstall the Boot Camp driver.

edit: thanks Zal_Max, looks like you solved this in the same way, nice to have some verification (no pun intended). Hopefully it works. ;)

Lewys, check the OP for links to Driver Sweeper and CCleaner.

Edited by daemian

Hi,

i run a mac mini late 2009

Intel Core 2 Duo 2,26 GHz

4 GB RAM

GeForce 9400

with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit version.

my fps are to low to really enjoy the game. Have you guys got any ideas to help me get this game to run?