The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian

In the starter areas I was getting a steady 60+FPS, but that's not saying much. For reference, that's with a 2.8GHz (8-core), 12GB RAM, HD6970 2GB. Windows 7 64-bit and TOR are currently running unpartitioned on a WD Black 1TB. I'll be moving it to an SSD soon.

If your FPS isn't as high as expected, turn off Shadows, Bloom, and V-Sync. My Mac Mini went from 15 FPS in a crowded indoors area to almost 90 with shadows and vsync alone. I had to turn bloom off on the laptop to get decent fps of 30 on my laptop.

I am pretty sure there is a post in the support section on it.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Macbook Pro 2010 i5 Intel / Nvidia 330M GT

Very low FPS in alot of area's, tried all possible settings with no avail.

fps 5-20 :(

Even overclocked the damn thing, perhaps change drivers again but this is not how it should run. Even on the lowest setting its just as slow as ....

If your FPS isn't as high as expected, turn off Shadows, Bloom, and V-Sync. My Mac Mini went from 15 FPS in a crowded indoors area to almost 90 with shadows and vsync alone. I had to turn bloom off on the laptop to get decent fps of 30 on my laptop.

I am pretty sure there is a post in the support section on it.

Well, I have no complaints, my FPS is right where I thought it would be, but a lot of people seem to be struggling to get a decent framerate.

Look up a few posts for the link to the support thread.

Anyone else play on late 2011 15´ macbook pro base model?

i have all settings on low, shadows off and only get 30-40 fps and 20 sometimes.

I dont understand why, because people that have computers with way poorer specs run with more fps then i do.

Ive tried everything, installing drivers and windows over and over again. Because it cant be like this.

anyone else play on the same laptop and have same problem?

cheers

T

Hello, I have a macbook pro 2010 4gb ram, 2.5 procesor, 64 bit windows 7 installed with boot cam. I succesfuly installed the game but it crashes as soon as I open the game, it dosen't give me any notifications of why it crhases. Its wierd because I played the beta without any issues.

Anyone else play on late 2011 15´ macbook pro base model?

i have all settings on low, shadows off and only get 30-40 fps and 20 sometimes.

I dont understand why, because people that have computers with way poorer specs run with more fps then i do.

Ive tried everything, installing drivers and windows over and over again. Because it cant be like this.

anyone else play on the same laptop and have same problem?

Yes, same boat here. Surprising and disappointing. I wasn't expecting blazing speed, but I get choppy performance with a new-model MBP (w. upgraded RAM, playing through bootcamp), even with all settings lower than the standard 'Low.'

I wonder if there's anything to be done.

I finally got my bootcamp installed and was trying to play without the bootcamp driver stuff installed when my friend told me what to do. I only have like 95 gigs left on my partition because I installed both SWTOR and LoL so is there any way I can make my partition bigger? By the way, I am new so what class should I roll as well?

Yes, same boat here. Surprising and disappointing. I wasn't expecting blazing speed, but I get choppy performance with a new-model MBP (w. upgraded RAM, playing through bootcamp), even with all settings lower than the standard 'Low.'

I wonder if there's anything to be done.

Seems odd. On page 3 of this thread somebody posted that they're running with all settings on high with a similar machine. Maybe you guys can compare notes, you should be able to do better than that with those specs.

It almost sounds like the game is using the integrated graphics instead of the card.

The game runs generally perfect for me when everything is on High, though it is slightly laggy depending on the area I'm in when the shadows are set on high. I currently prefer having it set on the Medium preset though, just to ensure I get a really smooth experience.

Here's my setup:

Macbook Pro, 15", late 2011 model with OSX Lion preinstalled.

8 gigs of ram but I only have 32-bit Windows 7

The problems I am noticing are load times though – both when transitioning between new areas (eg. when going to new planets, flashpoints, etc.) and when exiting the game or taking any action where the game window is NOT in focus. If I have the game up and want to open start menu/open a Chrome window/anything, there's a noticeable amont of delay in opening the new window and switch to it from the game. If I'm exiting the game, I have to wait what feels like forever for it to actually close – sometimes I get tired of waiting and just ctrl+alt+delete the process...

I'm not sure if that's because of the game or because I'm on 32-bit windows... I asked some native Windows PC friends if the loading times between places are long for them too and they said yes, but I don't know if we're suffering the same amount of "slow"... :confused:

OK, I am on an ancient mid-2007 24" iMac 2.4GHz on 10.6.8 and running Bootcamp with XP. XP runs fine but the game has been giving me fits:

First it would display the game as if it were stretched beyond the screen, all the toons looked fat and the lanscape was missing - it was like having your widescreen TV set to zoom or panorama while watching std def shows and then chopping off a few inches on either side.

After reading this thread start to finish I d/l the Omega drivers and viola! no more stretching, everything looks like it should - except now I have single digit FPS in Coruscant which essentially makes the game unplayable.

I do have all the game graphics stuff set to the lowest possible options.

Now, Steve Jobs owns my soul - I know NOTHING about Windows and drivers and stuff like that so my question is this: are there settings I can mess with in the Omega ATI tools to improve performance? I read something about overclocking but I have literally no clue how to set that up.

Help?

So I'm running a MBP version 5,5 - 13 inch... I am having hit or miss FPS. I've done all the high low settings tricks, optimizing windows for max performance and anything else I could find to help get better results.

I have run the game for a few hours straight with totally playable fps (25-30) on low settings of course, but playable and kind of fun. Problem is I would come back to play the next day and be unable to get fps above 10. Only to re-start the program a few times, and get workable fps, play for about 10 minutes and the bottom drops out again.

I have been following a lot of the fps threads, and I think MY problem is just my GPU. NVidia GeForce 9400m. I'm new to PC gaming and only got into this because I'm a SW fan, so I was a bit ignorant on Graphics cards. That said, I didn't really do the proper research before bootcamping my machine and buying the game because I didn't realize it is actually a pretty low end card. So I'm not sure what to do at this point, because I'm not going to buy a new PC, but I do really like the game.

I guess I'm hoping there is going to be some fix they do that will allow my mac to play the game, but I'm not really holding my breath. Either way, please let me know if anyone else has the same machine as I have and is having better results.

I have a late 2009 iMac 27 with an i7, 8Gb of ram and a ATI 4850 with 512Mb. I've installed Windows 7 x64, installed bootcamp, update the videocard drivers to the latest version.

And the game runs really bad, like 15-20 fps in low settings. I've tried different resolutions as well as windowed mode. I've tried different driver versions, the bootcamp one as well, and different catalyst center settings (default, turn everything off).

The most important thing would like to know is, should my hardware be able to run this game smoothly on low/medium/high settings?

If yes then I at least know that the problem is with my setup and if someone could point me in the right direction that would be most excellent ;) Thanks!

I have an early 2011 17" Macbook Pro, running Windows 7 Ultimate 32.

Continuously getting the "Appcrash" error.

I've tried running in windowed, running as administrator, updated everything for my windows, bootcamp is updated to 3.3

I don't know how to upgrade my video drivers.. The newest one I could find that works is from January 2011, which I know is a few behind.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm getting pretty frustrated with scratching my head here.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I have a 2011 MBP with 8 Gb RAM, Core i7, and 6750m with 1 gb ram. My performance is horrible - no background apps, stripped windows to the bare necessities, etc.

I am running Windows 32bit. I know I should switch to 64 - but I really think there is something wrong with the memory management.

Check out this - it doesn't make sense. Why only 2gb for Windows? I have a dedicated video card, so no stealing there.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7158/6559686895_0bcbc91185_c.jpg

Other than "upgrade to 64", any other tips on this memory problem? I'm convinced this is the only problem - otherwise my comp should be great for this game.

I'm on a late 2008 27" iMac, the one with the nVidia GeForce 8800 GS card.

I'm having trouble updating my graphics drivers, any ideas? I'm using Lion/Bootcamp 4.0 with Windows 7 32-bit, so I have the most recent drivers Apple supplies, but there's a bug fixed in the latest ones from nVidia that I'm having issues with. (Periodically the display adaptor crashes to black screen and I have to reboot. SUPER annoying, fixed in current drivers)

My problem is when I go to the nVidia website and run the installer I downloaded for the drivers, I get the following error:

"The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

I'm positive I'm downloading the correct drivers for my card, I used nVidia's Java applet on their site to do the auto detection to confirm.

Is there any way to force this manually from a command line / do an end run around the installer? Would it break anything if I did?

Everything other than that works great, although I've got graphics settings turned down to low because of the age of the machine and the limited memory available.

I'm on a late 2008 27" iMac, the one with the nVidia GeForce 8800 GS card.

I'm having trouble updating my graphics drivers, any ideas? I'm using Lion/Bootcamp 4.0 with Windows 7 32-bit, so I have the most recent drivers Apple supplies, but there's a bug fixed in the latest ones from nVidia that I'm having issues with. (Periodically the display adaptor crashes to black screen and I have to reboot. SUPER annoying, fixed in current drivers)

My problem is when I go to the nVidia website and run the installer I downloaded for the drivers, I get the following error:

"The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"

I'm positive I'm downloading the correct drivers for my card, I used nVidia's Java applet on their site to do the auto detection to confirm.

Is there any way to force this manually from a command line / do an end run around the installer? Would it break anything if I did?

Everything other than that works great, although I've got graphics settings turned down to low because of the age of the machine and the limited memory available.

Did you try just extracting the drivers and manually changing the driver within the device manager?

Did you try just extracting the drivers and manually changing the driver within the device manager?

How do I do that? I've been searching the Apple support site and googling all morning looking for instructions, but the only things I found were a) from 2008 and b) looked seriously sketchy.

Any instructions would be VERY appreciated.

EDIT:

Actually, let me clarify that. I think what you're suggesting is one of the things I already tried to do. When I ran the installer, it did extract files and install them to disk before running the system compatibility check and aborting.

I have tried going to the device manager, selecting my display adaptor/the graphics card, right clicking properties, selecting Drivers, and clicking update drivers. I told it to look for drivers in the folder nVidia created with the new drivers. I get a message that my drivers are up to date, even though they are patently not.

Is there something else I should be trying?

Edited by Kadriya

I recently installed TOR on my bootcamp and I am experiencing low FPS, usually in the range of 5-15 with V-sync off and all settings on the lowest possible.

15" Mid 2010 Macbook Pro

Nvidia GeForce GT 330M (512 MB)

500 GB 7200 rpm Storage

4 GB Ram 1066 MHz DDR3

Intel Core i7

2.66 GHz Dual-Core

1680 x 1050 Resolution

I always run the most updated Bootcamp, though I have never updated (and never to be updated) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

My bootcamp partition is 50 GB, with TOR installed I have 7.15 GB left.

I recently played Rift on this bootcamp and also experienced lower then expected performance (though not as severe).

If anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Edited by Switchshot

hey guys, just got the game and was wondering what FPS i should be getting on a medium setting.

My specs are as follows.

mid 2011 iMac

2.5ghz intel core i5

4gb 1333 mhz ddr3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

i am using windows 7 ultimate x64 through bootcamp.

Kadriya, that's exactly what i meant.

Could someone answer my question on page 7? I would really like to know if my system should be able to run SW:TOR. Thanks in advance!

I have a 2007 iMac 2.4GHz core duo with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 256MB & 4GB ram. I am running XP and the Omega drivers mentioned earlier in the thread and with all the settings set to the lowest and am actually enjoying the game. If your machine is newer than 2007 then yes, you can run it.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I have just finished installing TOR on my mcbook. I'm running windows vista on bootcamp with 2G of ram. Running TOR off my external hard drive. I open the program up and it went through the updates however, when I hit 'PLAY' it starts to open but then puts me back at my desktop. No error messages or anything. As I said I'm running this on my Macbook (not pro) its a late 2007 model. Can some one help me with this. I really wish to start playing.