The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian

Hey everyone,

I use Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro, and from what I have been reading, SWTOR should be running just fine. But for some reason, the game is only playable when it is on the lowest graphics settings (800 x 600), and even then it runs pretty bad. I have very low FPS and lots of lag. Of course it gets worse when there are more people around. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run it on a Retina MacBook Pro and it runs really well, though I installed it on a 32bit Windows 7 and I really should dig up a copy of Windows 7 64 Bit as I think that would allow the use of more RAM. Right now I'm suffering from the PC memory leak issue and that causes me to Crash to Desktop every few hours.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I want some help making everything run faster than it currently is. It's playable, but not to the level that I'd like it to be.

I'm Bootcamping with Windows 7 32-bit. I've got a 75 gig partition, and most of it is used. (4 gigs left? I can change that though by deleting Guild Wars 2.) Here are my specs.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 G.

My graphics card is a GeForce 320M.

Currently, it runs 'okay' on the LOWEST settings graphical settings possible. I'd like to optimize it for the best quality possible.

Problems:

- Generally low FPS in many places. Gets worse when there's more people in the area.

- Planet loading times take over 5 minutes. I don't think this is normal. What can I do? I'm getting sick of getting up and finding something to do within those 5 minutes. (Could this be my RAM or lack thereof?)

- I'm on the lowest graphical settings possible, and I think my computer can handle more. I've played WoW on medium to high settings, as well as other games on higher settings.

- After every two hours or so of playing, no matter what I'm doing, the game will crash right to my desktop. I don't think this is normal, and is there something I could to fix this?

What can I do to completely optimize my performance?

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are looking for latest AMD drivers, but cant install them due to "incompatible graphics card":

- 64 bit version for Vista, 7 and 8

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

- 32 bit version for Vista, 7 and 8

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/13-1_mobility_vista_win7_win8_32_dd_ccc_whql.exe

Hi I have a 2010 macbook pro 13'

spec are 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo

4gb 1067 MHz DDR3

graphics - NVIDA Geforce 320M 256 MB

can i run swtor on my mac before i go out an waste money buying windows 7?

On lowest settings you will be able to play.

I run it on a Retina MacBook Pro and it runs really well, though I installed it on a 32bit Windows 7 and I really should dig up a copy of Windows 7 64 Bit as I think that would allow the use of more RAM. Right now I'm suffering from the PC memory leak issue and that causes me to Crash to Desktop every few hours.

You will benefit a lot if you install 64 bit Windows.

Hey everyone,

I use Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro, and from what I have been reading, SWTOR should be running just fine. But for some reason, the game is only playable when it is on the lowest graphics settings (800 x 600), and even then it runs pretty bad. I have very low FPS and lots of lag. Of course it gets worse when there are more people around. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Depends on your hardware. If you are having MBP 2010, thats normal.

Just checking the nvidia drivers a poster mentioned above in the thread. Are they still necessary?

I've downloaded bootcamp drivers via apple bootcamp assistant and its installed on my Retina Macbook Pro.

It also said it installed the nvidia drivers but I'm unsure if they are the "right" ones or just a generic holdover for now.

Just wanted to check if I still need to do whats suggested regarding nvidia drivers.

Updating NVIDIA drivers is a good idea.

Direct download link for Windows Vista, 7 and 8 64 bit: http://uk.download.nvidia.com/Windows/310.90/310.90-notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

Edited by EspanZeTTo

Just to make it more clear

If you are having...

Nvidia GT 9400m and Core 2 Duo - Dont bother running SWTOR on this hardware (2009 Macbook Pro 13', 15', 17')

Nvidia GT 9600m and Core 2 Duo - Expect very poor performance (2009 Macbook Pro 15', 17')

Nvidia GT 320m and Core 2 Duo - Will run at lowest settings with low fps (2010 Macbook Pro 13')

Nvidia GT 330m and Core i7 - Playable at lowest settings with decent fps (2010 Macbook Pro 15', 17')

AMD Radeon HD 6490M and Core i7 - Playable at lowest settings with decent fps (Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15', 17')

Intel HD 3000 and Core i5/i7 - Will run at lowest settings with low fps (2011 Macbook Pro 13')

Intel HD 4000 and Core i5/i7 - Playable at lowest settings with medium fps (2012 Macbook Pro 13')

AMD Radeon HD 6750M/6770M and Core i7 - Playable at medium settings with ok [30-60] fps (2011 Macbook Pro 15')

Nvidia GT 650m and Core i7 - Playable at high setting with high [40-60] fps (2012 Macbook Pro 15', Retina)

Edited by EspanZeTTo

• 3 months later...

Bootcamp, like the OP mentioned, is not emulation, virtual machine or anything of the sort. It is installing Windows natively on your Mac. Macs can run windows as well as any other computer out there (better in some circumstances).

I can confirm that SWTOR runs FLAWLESSLY on Bootcamp. However, the existance of Bootcamp is both a gift and a curse. It does mean we can use our Macs just like any other Windows system and run any game out there (providing our hardware can handle it) but it is also likely to make game devs more lazy. Why develop an OSX version or even a port when Mac users can just install Windows anyway? The problem with this mentality is that many Mac users, myself included, only run Windows on our Macs because we have no other choice if we want to run particular games. If I had my own way i wouldn't touch Windows. It's not a terrible OS, it's actually gotten far more interesting with Windows 8 but I still prefer OSX on a Mac.

Continuing from that paragraph because Windows 8 is different enough to be more enjoyable for me I chose to install Windows 8 (partially via Bootcamp) on my iMac. My Mac's specs are as follows:

iMac late 2010 (or mid?)

Intel Core i3 3.06Ghz (still a fantastic processor)

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB (great mid-range GPU, the GRAM is a slight let down though)

500GB HDD

Bootcamp does not actually support my model of iMac for Windows 8 but the Windows 7 drivers are more than sufficient and performance of Windows 8 is perfect. SWTOR runs perfectly smooth on low (not lowest) settings with no framerate stutters or performance issues whatsoever. Yes, I don't get to run at the highest possible settings but I'm not a graphics whore anyway.

If you have any Mac prior to 2009 I wouldn't bother. You probably wouldn't be able to run it optimally. Otherwise, go for it.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who experienced quite a significant drop in (graphic) performance after the 2.0 patch. I last played in like january on my late 2012 iMac (3ghz i5, 16gb ram, GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB) and I had all settings on max with everything running very smooth. Now I returned yesterday only to find that the game is not playable unless turn it down to medium settings and even so I have like 25-30fps.

Im running boot camp ofcourse and not some virtualization.

So mac-players. Any thoughts? What kind of performance do you get? Any suggestions for how to tweak it? I have the latest nvidia drivers installed.

Birkovic

I have a late 2011 27 imac with 16 GB DDR3 RAM and ATI HD 6970M as a graphics card. Using bootcamp to run the game and until yesterday i had to run it on low settings with 10 to 20 fps, almost freezing on the fleet. It was so painful tbh.

So yesterday i noticed that i was running 32 bit windows 7 and learned that it only allows 2GB of RAM regardless of how much you actually have. SO:

1. I copy pasted my whole electronic arts folder to my mac osx hard drive.

2. Removed the whole partition (windows)

3. Re-installed Windows 7 64 bit (2 CDs included in your pack 1 for 32 bit 1 for 64 bit)

4. Downloaded the latest directx, latest grapchics card drivers and installed them.

5. Copy Electronics Art folder back to windows hard drive (program files x86)

RESULT: Running the game on Very High graphics settings, with every single graphics setting on very high and with 40 to 50 fps on fleet like a boss. Not even a stutter on fleet. The game just came alive. (Sort it out and try pvping again :))

Hope this helps...

• 2 weeks later...

I have SWTOR running great on a 15" macbook pro retina display. But what I'm trying to do is get it running in VMWare so that I don't have to boot into Win 7 all the time (although it helps with 16gb of RAM and SSD). The problem I keep having is that all I get is a black screen when trying to run it virtualized. Assuming this is a result of the crappy VMWare 3D virtual drivers. I've seen some threads about making certain settings in the SWTOR config. Does anyone know for sure? Is it all about the settings? Should I just turn them all to low and see if that works?

Any advice would be helpful!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pardon, but saying that you can run SWTOR on a Mac only if your Mac runs a Windows OS, is like saying

"Hey, can I use my brand new red Ferrari to go biking?"

"Sure! Just take off two wheels"

The correct answer was:

"No. SWTOR doesn't run on Mac OS (or any UNIX-like) systems. If you want, at your own risk, you can install a Windows partition on your Mac and play SWTOR from this partition."

Zakhrim

• 4 months later...

You need a dedicated graphic card. I have a Macbook late 2009 running Boot Camp Win 7. Runs the game great with all settings on low. I'm amazed it does so well.

2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

8 GB RAM (4 GM RAM with USB drive doing readyboost lol)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB

• 1 month later...

I'm running Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp on my late 2013 15" MacBook Pro.

The game boots up fine, and with some craftiness, I can get in the game. So it seems to be fine except for one issue.

Most of the screen space reverts my cursor back to being the "desktop cursor," so whenever I click on anything, it minimizes the game.

It's really weird. I only get the SWTOR cursor when I'm running it along the outside border of the screen space. Anything in the... let's say, "central 90% of the screen" makes it appear as a low resolution, big white Windows cursor.

Anyone have this issue or know how I can fix it? Is it just some kind of strange resolution change problem?

Anyway, thanks for any info on this.

• 6 years later...
Hi! I have been playing swtor through bootcamp for quite a bit of time now, and the xperience has been mostly enjoyable. However, the graphics are pretty bad for me. I play on the low prese settings and i have a late-2013 iMac. Any suggestions on how to improve the graphics/what are the optimal ones for me? Thank u in advance

Hi! I have been playing swtor through bootcamp for quite a bit of time now, and the xperience has been mostly enjoyable. However, the graphics are pretty bad for me. I play on the low prese settings and i have a late-2013 iMac. Any suggestions on how to improve the graphics/what are the optimal ones for me? Thank u in advance

one of the big things for windows installed on bootcamp is be sure to adjust the windows power option to high performance