The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian

I created a tutorial for installing the newest Catalyst Drivers in Boot Camp on Windows 7 which GREATLY increased my FPS.

Find Thread Here

Thanks for the link, hopefully that'll help someone who has the same Mac.

I would be more interested in whether people have gotten SWTOR working in WINE. Anyone, anyone?

There were a few people working on it before the forum wipe but I don't know if those threads have been restarted. As far as I know there were still a few problems with it. I'm sure if it's possible someone will have it working soon.

Edited by daemian

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone i just downloaded and set up bootcamp with windows 7. The game finished downloading and when i click play an error comes up that says "error code7, incompatable system, please check to make sure your system is compatable with this game"

Does this mean that the game thinks im still using the mac operating system?

Hey everyone i just downloaded and set up bootcamp with windows 7. The game finished downloading and when i click play an error comes up that says "error code7, incompatable system, please check to make sure your system is compatable with this game"

Does this mean that the game thinks im still using the mac operating system?

Error Code 7 is a common error people are getting when trying to launch the game, it's not a Mac issue. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I would first check to make sure you've installed all available Windows 7 updates.

There's a thread about the error in the customer service forum here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=35738

Error Code 7 is a common error people are getting when trying to launch the game, it's not a Mac issue. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I would first check to make sure you've installed all available Windows 7 updates.

There's a thread about the error in the customer service forum here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=35738

Ok thank you

There's another post here about the sound, you need to d/l some older driver but I got it to work fine on my 2007 iMac.

And the Omega driver totally fixes the stretched toons.

Do you know what the old driver is or where that post is? I've been looking for 3 days and found neither.

The omega drivers won't install on my 2010 imac. or rather, I forced the install cleanly, the drivers updated, but it's showing thes ame old version that I had before in device manager. i'm going to try upgarding to Lion OS and bootcamp 4. At this point, i've tried everything else.

Upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit will give you one advantage - it'll allow you to access more RAM, which should help with performance in TOR.

You've probably already seen this, but just in case:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-2-ATICatalystSuiteDriverXP.aspx

Thanks, i'm not sure I'm ready to spend the money on windows 7 just yet. i'm not having issues with fps or anything. the game just isn't using my screen's resolution for the 3d environments. I have seen that ATI tutorial, and followed it everytime. Strangely, it's like there are still the same old drivers on there and they won't update.

Do you know what the old driver is or where that post is? I've been looking for 3 days and found neither.

The omega drivers won't install on my 2010 imac. or rather, I forced the install cleanly, the drivers updated, but it's showing thes ame old version that I had before in device manager. i'm going to try upgarding to Lion OS and bootcamp 4. At this point, i've tried everything else.

There was a poster early in this thread, but he wasn't sure what he did to finally get it working.

Hopefully Lion solves your sound issues. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the driver and upgrading to Lion will allow you to use the very latest Boot Camp drivers. Also, make sure your Windows install is completely up to date with all Service packs and OS updates.

Good luck, let us know if you get it sorted.

I did a quick Google search for Cirrus Logic+Boot Camp and found some articles on MacRumors.com.

Take poke around that site and see if you can find a resolution for the sound isssue.

Here's a couple of the links I found:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1002561

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mac/83868-solved-imac-bootcamped-win-7-cirrus-logic-audio-not-working-due-hd-audio-driver.html

"in order to fix the sound in your bootcamped xp, go to start and click on control panel. Then select "Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices," from there click on "change the speaker settings." A window with five tabs will pop up, select the "Audio" tab. Under sound playback choose Cirrus Logic HD Audio as the default then apply. Now your sound should be fixed....worked for me "

"GO to system proprieties, device manager, search in Audio devices "ATI HD audio" and disable that device.....

The problem is, windows has two audio output, the audio card output and the audio output from DisplayPort. Windows assume the displayport audio device as de master. Disabling solve the problem "

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=246025

Hope that helps ;).

Edited by daemian

It makes no sense why the hell do i wanna install a virus call window on my mac ??? i want swtor to run on mac OS, not a windows... ( if i wanted windows i have had a pc ) So plz get this to work on mac OS ... gogo or i will stop playing ....

Hey, I just have a question about how much space to partition to the bootcamp side... I partitioned over 60 gigs of space, installed the game, all necessary updates, and have been playing the game fine for over a week now. But now as I check the free space on my HD, I see that I only have about a gig and a half left. Is that right? Does the game and all the essential driver updates really take up that much room? I haven't installed anything on the windows side other than the game and google chrome. I don't have a lot of bootcamp experience, so if someone could enlighten me I would really appreciate it!

Anyone using a 13 inch MBP? Is that even possible? I have the Feb 2011 mbp, 13 inch, specs below.

500gb HD

4GB RAM

2.7 dual core i7

Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I know that the graphics card doesn't meet system minimums, but I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to play this game smoothly, even if it is on lowest settings. Also, Will boot camp give more success than parallels? Any info will help! Thanks!

Hey, I just have a question about how much space to partition to the bootcamp side... I partitioned over 60 gigs of space, installed the game, all necessary updates, and have been playing the game fine for over a week now. But now as I check the free space on my HD, I see that I only have about a gig and a half left. Is that right? Does the game and all the essential driver updates really take up that much room? I haven't installed anything on the windows side other than the game and google chrome. I don't have a lot of bootcamp experience, so if someone could enlighten me I would really appreciate it!

I usually recommend a minimum of 100GB for a Windows partition, but you should make it as big as you can. Windows 7 64-bit uses at least 20 GB, and TOR will use around 20GB. Ultimate, Professional and Enterprise require an additional 15 GB. If you've been installing over the beta client, the SWTOR folder will be much bigger (mine was 37 GB before I wiped it). On top of that you have installer files and other applications, drivers, browsers, etc... it all adds up.

Unfortunately, with only 1.5 GB left, you're going to run into trouble as soon as you need to download an update or patch for TOR, and you'll probably find Windows isn't running as smoothly as it could. Do what you can to free up some space right now, but 60 GB doesn't leave you much room to work with.

The other reason I recommend a big partition is that when you run out of space, reformatting your drive to create a bigger partition is a huge pain. You want to make it as big as possible, just in case you need the room at some point in the future (which you do).

Edited by daemian

Anyone using a 13 inch MBP? Is that even possible? I have the Feb 2011 mbp, 13 inch, specs below.

500gb HD

4GB RAM

2.7 dual core i7

Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I know that the graphics card doesn't meet system minimums, but I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to play this game smoothly, even if it is on lowest settings. Also, Will boot camp give more success than parallels? Any info will help! Thanks!

That Mac does meet the minimum spec, barely, so you should be able to play on pretty low settings. I've talked to others with similar specs who are playing.

You'll get much better performance running Windows natively than using something like Parallels. I wouldn't even recommend it with a high end Mac. With your machine, you'll want to squeeze as much performance out of it as possible.

Edited by daemian

I just purchased Windows Vista Business for Bootcamp to play the game. I know, I know, Vista. I didn't wanna pay $200 for 7 if I'm only using Bootcamp for TOR.

Intel i7 2.7GHz

4GB RAM

Intel HD 3000

Will I be able to run it well? I guess I'm more concerned about the Vista aspect. I understand that I meet minimum requirements for my graphics card.

I just purchased Windows Vista Business for Bootcamp to play the game. I know, I know, Vista. I didn't wanna pay $200 for 7 if I'm only using Bootcamp for TOR.

Intel i7 2.7GHz

4GB RAM

Intel HD 3000

Will I be able to run it well? I guess I'm more concerned about the Vista aspect. I understand that I meet minimum requirements for my graphics card.

You'll be able to run it but you'll be limited to very low settings with that GPU. Which Mac is this, is there a discrete GPU as well?

You'll be able to run it but you'll be limited to very low settings with that GPU. Which Mac is this, is there a discrete GPU as well?

I'm technology stupid. I had to Google what GPU was... but I digress.

It's a 2011 Macbook Pro. It runs WoW very smoothly. Is TOR anything like WoW in that form? I apologize for the silly questions. hahaha

I'm technology stupid. I had to Google what GPU was... but I digress.

It's a 2011 Macbook Pro. It runs WoW very smoothly. Is TOR anything like WoW in that form? I apologize for the silly questions. hahaha

OK, sounds like you're using an early 2011 13" Macbook pro (8,1), in which case, no, there is only the integrated GPU. The 15" & 17" laptops also have separate graphics cards, which would give you better performance.

TOR is a bit more demanding than WoW when it comes to graphics. You'll run it smoothly but don't expect medium or high settings.

edit: FYI, you can upgrade your RAM if you want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of it (Apple 'officially' supports up to 8GB but you can actually fit 16GB in that machine).

Edited by daemian

OK, sounds like you're using an early 2011 13" Macbook pro (8,1), in which case, no, there is only the integrated GPU. The 15" & 17" laptops also have separate graphics cards, which would give you better performance.

TOR is a bit more demanding than WoW when it comes to graphics. You'll run it smoothly but don't expect medium or high settings.

Thanks so much for letting me know! :)

Thanks so much for letting me know! :)

No problem. Hopefully you have the 64-bit version of Vista, otherwise you won't be able to access all of your RAM. Also, make sure to leave as much room as you can spare for Windows, I suggest 100 GB minimum.

Edited by daemian

No problem. Hopefully you have the 64-bit version of Vista, otherwise you won't be able to access all of your RAM. Also, make sure to leave as much room as you can spare for Windows, I suggest 100 GB minimum.

I got the 32-bit version. Will that just totally screw me over? :confused:

I was gonna use 115 GBs for Windows.

I got the 32-bit version. Will that just totally screw me over? :confused:

I was gonna use 115 GBs for Windows.

No, it won't screw you over. You'll be limited to just over 3 GB of RAM though, and TOR definitely runs a lot smoother with 4+ GB. 115 GB partition for Windows is good. If you think there's even a slight chance you might want to install more than just TOR down the road, leave yourself some more room. You'll be glad you did.

Edited by daemian

No, it won't screw you over. You'll be limited to just over 3 GB of RAM though, and TOR definitely runs a lot smoother with 4+ GB. 115 GB partition for Windows is good. If you think there's even a slight chance you might want to install more than just TOR down the road, leave yourself some more room. You'll be glad you did.

Great, thanks for helping me! :)

Sup guys, pretty new to the forums here. Installed Windows Xp Pro with service pack 3. Partitioned at 90 gbs. At the launch screen its saying can't write patch due to insufficient disk space. Please help

Got a 2010 15" macbook pro with i5

Edited by jopetrn