The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do u burn the disk with bootcamp drivers

Here's a link to the Boot Camp guide for OS X 10.6 (it's also listed in the 'useful links' section of the OP):

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

Starting on page 11, follow the instructions for installing drivers. You don't need to burn a separate disk for the drivers, but some people find this makes it simpler.

Once you have the sound driver installed and working, take a look at the section on 'updating drivers'.

Apple has released Boot Camp 3.3 fairly recently, so software update should ask you to upgrade to that version. Just be aware I've read some people are having issues with keyboard shortcuts not working under 3.3.

If you eventually upgrade to Lion, then follow the instructions in the OP for Boot Camp 4.0.

Edited by daemian

Can anyone give me some advice? My Windows 7 is crashing non stop, and isn't repairing itself when I try to download or run SWTOR.

I'm running:

Late 2007, imac 2.4 ghz core 2 duo (7,1)

4 gigs of ram

ATI hd2600 vid card with 256mb

I'm running bootcamp 3.3 with Windows 7 at 32 bit setting. It shows the ram as running at 2.98 in Bootcamp on the Windows side.

I'm frustrated and discouraged after waiting 2 years for this game. Here's the scoop: I used the snow leopard disc to install Bootcamp and the drivers after making a 100gig partition. I also fully updated Windows 7. Everything runs very smoothly, until I tried to download SWTOR for the pre-release. The first time I did, it crashed 4 times while installing, but I was able to get the game running. After an hour I had a horrible crash-- the screen had squiggly colorful lines on it and everything stopped. Windows was unable to repair from safe mode or the install disc, and unable to restore to an earlier point! After hours of re-installing everything, I had the same issue again-- after downloading and running the game, same crash. I WAS able to do a system restore and try playing again, but the game crashed several more times as I tried to play.

I decided to do a complete wipe of the partition with Bootcamp. I erased the partition with 0's, restored the partition on the mac side, and then REMADE the partition a second time. I again installed windows 7 and the snow leopard drivers. I updated everything. This time, I was unable to even get the game to fully download. It won't finish installation, it halts at 78% and crashes. At times while installing, I get a screen freeze and an alert that says my windows essentials security has turned off, and my system crashes and takes a long time to repair/restore. The Geek Squad guys at Best Buy suggested turning off security for the install, thinking perhaps that there was a conflict. This didn't help get the game installed. I can't get the download to finish insalling. To make matters WORSE, I actually received my hard copy of the game in the mail today from Amazon.com, but I can't get the discs to load past the second disc. It crashes every time an hour into the install.

Guys, I really want this game to work. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've never experienced so many crashes. I just bought a backup hard drive to make a system image so I don't have to restart this again. I don't understand how I don't have enough power to run this game on low graphics, or even to finish a complete install of the game. I've ordered two ramjet sticks (a 4 gig and 2 gig) specifically designed for my computer, which at the (7,1) version can evidently run 6 gigs of ram. My reason for purchasing new ram is that I fear my kingston ram from 4 years ago may be a problem. Can anyone please help me figure out why the online download AND the disc won't finish a complete install?

Thank you.

Hello!

In case no-one's mentioned it, I've found this runs just fine on the latest MacBookPro 2011 15" Base Model under 32bit Windows 7.

All graphics settings on high, no problems.

Yay! :D

QS :D

Can you post your driver settings and your in game settings?

I'm running on a 64 bit Windows 7 and I'm at around 30-40 FPS with all graphics on LOW

Can anyone give me some advice? My Windows 7 is crashing non stop, and isn't repairing itself when I try to download or run SWTOR.

I'm running:

4 gigs of ram

I'm running bootcamp 3.3 with Windows 7 at 32 bit setting. It shows the ram as running at 2.98 in Bootcamp on the Windows side.

I'm frustrated and discouraged after waiting 2 years for this game. Here's the scoop: I used the snow leopard disc to install Bootcamp and the drivers after making a 100gig partition. I also fully updated Windows 7. Everything runs very smoothly, until I tried to download SWTOR for the pre-release. The first time I did, it crashed 4 times while installing, but I was able to get the game running. After an hour I had a horrible crash-- the screen had squiggly colorful lines on it and everything stopped. Windows was unable to repair from safe mode or the install disc, and unable to restore to an earlier point! After hours of re-installing everything, I had the same issue again-- after downloading and running the game, same crash. I WAS able to do a system restore and try playing again, but the game crashed several more times as I tried to play.

I decided to do a complete wipe of the partition with Bootcamp. I erased the partition with 0's, restored the partition on the mac side, and then REMADE the partition a second time. I again installed windows 7 and the snow leopard drivers. I updated everything. This time, I was unable to even get the game to fully download. It won't finish installation, it halts at 78% and crashes. At times while installing, I get a screen freeze and an alert that says my windows essentials security has turned off, and my system crashes and takes a long time to repair/restore. The Geek Squad guys at Best Buy suggested turning off security for the install, thinking perhaps that there was a conflict. This didn't help get the game installed. I can't get the download to finish insalling. To make matters WORSE, I actually received my hard copy of the game in the mail today from Amazon.com, but I can't get the discs to load past the second disc. It crashes every time an hour into the install.

Guys, I really want this game to work. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've never experienced so many crashes. I just bought a backup hard drive to make a system image so I don't have to restart this again. I don't understand how I don't have enough power to run this game on low graphics, or even to finish a complete install of the game. I've ordered two ramjet sticks (a 4 gig and 2 gig) specifically designed for my computer, which at the (7,1) version can evidently run 6 gigs of ram. My reason for purchasing new ram is that I fear my kingston ram from 4 years ago may be a problem. Can anyone please help me figure out why the online download AND the disc won't finish a complete install?

Thank you.

I'm running:

4 gigs of ram

Well, your RAM is showing as 2.98 GB because that's the max you'll be able to see in Windows 7 32-bit. You'll need to install 64 bit Windows to use all 6 GB, and that will probably help a bit with performance, if you manage to get the game to install.

How big is your Windows partition?

edit: I just noticed that your model is not on the list of 'officially' supported Macs for Windows 64-bit, I'm not sure why.

Edited by daemian

Anyone else losing network connection randomly on their win 7 boot camp partition? I have a 27" 2011 iMac but can't find nic drivers for it

Can you grab the latest Boot Camp drivers using Apple Software Update?

Edited by daemian

I'm having terribad FPS on inside areas on my macbook pro 2010 thats weird.

On outside areas it goes flawless on inside it's unplayable.. even at 800x600 res...

can u help me fixing this?

MAchine config:

Macbook Pro 15" 2010

Proc: Intel i5 2,4 ghz

ram: 8gb

video: Nvidia Gt 330 M, nvidia drivers vers. 285.62

Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1

Hd: SSD OCZ vertex 3

This is impossible with this specs it should run good!

Please help!

Hello,

I am using an iMac 27", i5 3.1 GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI RADEON HD6970 1GB, Windows 7 32bit Bootcamp.

I am experiencing continuous frame rate spikes especially in populated places like Imperial Fleet or even worse when I am traveling on a taxi service.

Note that I have deactivated AA, AF and Catalyst A.I. through Catalyst Control Center but problem is still there. Also I am running the game in 1920x1080 in high settings (also tried medium with V-sync on/off... no luck).

Also my game latancy is about 100ms (if this helps somewhere)

Does anyone has any idea how this problem can be solved? I suppose a machine with the above spec should run the game smoothly in any settings

I would be much gratful for a suggestion! Thanks in advance!

Well, your RAM is showing as 2.98 GB because that's the max you'll be able to see in Windows 7 32-bit. You'll need to install 64 bit Windows to use all 6 GB, and that will probably help a bit with performance, if you manage to get the game to install.

After reading this, I wiped my 32-bit Windows 7 partition and reinstalled it as 64-bit, only to put in my OS X disc to install the Bootcamp Assistant, and be told that 64x is not supported on my computer model. :confused: Is there any way around this? The 64-bit Windows is working wonderfully.

I have a late 2008 24" iMac, 4GB RAM, 3.06GHz processor, NVidia GeForce 8800 graphics card.

I know I'm not going to get stellar frame rate no matter what I do, but I had hoped that at least having access to that last 1GB of RAM would give me some improvement. Even with totally up-to-date Nvidia drivers, AA/AF off, all the other settings switched to Performance (over Quality), I'm still getting between 8 and 20 fps consistently in game (when I was on the 32-bit OS). Still installing for 64-bit.

After reading this, I wiped my 32-bit Windows 7 partition and reinstalled it as 64-bit, only to put in my OS X disc to install the Bootcamp Assistant, and be told that 64x is not supported on my computer model. :confused: Is there any way around this? The 64-bit Windows is working wonderfully.

I have a late 2008 24" iMac, 4GB RAM, 3.06GHz processor, NVidia GeForce 8800 graphics card.

I know I'm not going to get stellar frame rate no matter what I do, but I had hoped that at least having access to that last 1GB of RAM would give me some improvement. Even with totally up-to-date Nvidia drivers, AA/AF off, all the other settings switched to Performance (over Quality), I'm still getting between 8 and 20 fps consistently in game (when I was on the 32-bit OS). Still installing for 64-bit.

I remember reading somewhere that the 2008 iMac does not come with 64-bit drivers (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). If you have Windows 7 64-bit installed and running properly, and you have done all available graphics/firmware updates, you can try to look for the Boot Camp drivers online or get a hold of a Mac Pro install disc.

For everyone experiencing FPS drops in indoor areas, I'm hoping sometime in the next few days I'll have a chance to sit down and do some more testing with the game. Then at least I can compare to what I'm getting.

In the starter areas I was getting a steady 60+FPS, but that's not saying much. For reference, that's with a 2.8GHz (8-core), 12GB RAM, HD6970 2GB. Windows 7 64-bit and TOR are currently running unpartitioned on a WD Black 1TB. I'll be moving it to an SSD soon.

Edited by daemian

I have problems installing ATI Catalyst, because when I try to do it, it says it does not recognize my Macbook 2011 Early Ati card.

Is there a way to bypass this somehow?

If you're using the auto-detect, try just downloading the driver/catalyst package for your card and installing it manually.

Hey,

I have a problem with Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with Corei7 , Radeon HD6750 HD and 8 GB RAM. Running bootcamp Win 7 Ent. 64bit and performance (fps, latency) is more than ok but every few minutes (random) game just freezes for about 8 seconds... video / audio everything.. and keeps freezeing every few minutes like this :(

Any ideas ?:(

Thanks.

I remember reading somewhere that the 2008 iMac does not come with 64-bit drivers (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). If you have Windows 7 64-bit installed and running properly, and you have done all available graphics/firmware updates, you can try to look for the Boot Camp drivers online or get a hold of a Mac Pro install disc.

Just wanted to post that after some digging, I found a work-around for this. Just have to install the BootCamp Assistant from the command line instead :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6918301&postcount=1

I am having some struggles with the game in boot camp, when I am trying to close/quit the game.

It seems it really is taking too long to actually quit. It can take up till 5 minutes. Do you guys encounter this as well? Any idea what might be causing this?

Can this be a memory thing?

...I am experiencing continuous frame rate spikes especially in populated places like Imperial Fleet or even worse when I am traveling on a taxi service.

I'm having terribad FPS on inside areas on my macbook pro 2010 thats weird.

For all those experiencing serious FPS drops in or near indoor areas in the game, it looks like this problem is widespread, not just affecting computers set up using Boot Camp:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=22835

Hopefully a future patch will help improve performance.

_________

It's important to note that once you have Windows installed and running properly, most problems you encounter are going to be related to Windows or the game itself, and not Boot Camp.

Boot Camp is simply a utility that walks you through installing Windows and the related drivers for your Apple hardware. From that point forward Windows (and TOR) will run exactly as it would on any PC with the same specs.

With this in mind, if you're not having a specific issue with your Boot Camp setup, it's worth taking a look at the general Customer Service Forum as well as posting here to see if others are having the same issues.

Edited by daemian

Hey,

I have a problem with Early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" with Corei7 , Radeon HD6750 HD and 8 GB RAM. Running bootcamp Win 7 Ent. 64bit and performance (fps, latency) is more than ok but every few minutes (random) game just freezes for about 8 seconds... video / audio everything.. and keeps freezeing every few minutes like this :(

Any ideas ?:(

Thanks.

bump please anyone ? :(