The Unofficial TOR and Boot Camp Discussion Thread

daemian

Make sure you don't have morphological filtering or temporal AA turned on by accident. Both of those gave me weird visual artifacts too.

My settings are as follows (you can get to the page these options are on by right-clicking on the ATT icon in your system tray and then going up to the 3d menu and looking for "settings..."

AA - 4x

Filter - Box

AA Mode - Multi-sample AA

Anisotropic Filtering - Performance

Then under "Performance" bar

Texture Preference - High Quality

MipMap Detail Level - High Performance

Wait for Vertical Sync - Always off

Yeah, I'm running with pretty much the same settings. The problem is when I turn on 'Force MipMap Filter' under the Tweaks menu. It makes all of the glass and metal surfaces extremely reflective, and cranks up the detail so the textures look amazing. The downside is I get a lot of artifacting and 'shimmering' that I can't get rid of. Now that I've seen the game with high res textures I really hope I can figure out how to make it work.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try something out today when I get off work, I'm going to see the previous dungeon I went thru when my framerate was fine, if it starts dropping in thus dungeon I'm going to go out and say the patch may be an issue, but the framerate only drops when I'm in a dungeon or cave

I'm going to try something out today when I get off work, I'm going to see the previous dungeon I went thru when my framerate was fine, if it starts dropping in thus dungeon I'm going to go out and say the patch may be an issue, but the framerate only drops when I'm in a dungeon or cave

Right now a lot of peole are having issues with frame rates dropping in indoor areas, and low frame rates in general. Check out the long discussion going on about it right here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=133037

Bioware has acknowledged there is an issue. Right now the only things I can suggest to improve FPS are the usual tweaks - turning graphics settings down, vsync off, DOF off, lowering your resolution and experimenting with different drivers. You should also make sure to turn off as many processes in Windows as possible to squeeze the maximum performance out of your machine.

More RAM will only help you if you're using 64-bit Windows. I think the command to see your framerate is ctrl-shift-F.

Edited by daemian

installing bootcamp on my 2011 i5 MB Air. hopefully it works :p

Did you ever get TOR installed on the MBA? I'm curious about what settings you're able to play on, and FPS with the SSD + HD3000 @ 1366x768.

Edited by daemian

Hi -

Well I am taking the plunge and bought the game and a copy of Windows 7. I plan to run it on my iMac 2007 24" Model 7,1. I think I meet all of the minimum requirements, but ultimately need to try it to see.

My question is: Do I need to have the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

My computer is using 32-bit native at the moment and it is supposed to be able to run 64-bit as well. I bought the 64-bit version thinking that is what I needed, but wanted to check here to see if anyone knows for sure. (AND before I open the box and pay for potentially the wrong one!!)

A follow-up question: Is there any advantage to using one over the other?

Meaning if say the game can be used in 32-bit mode (which is what my computer is set up for) does it use less RAM or run faster or slower with one version over another?

Thanks in advance to all help!

Scott

Hi -

Well I am taking the plunge and bought the game and a copy of Windows 7. I plan to run it on my iMac 2007 24" Model 7,1. I think I meet all of the minimum requirements, but ultimately need to try it to see.

My question is: Do I need to have the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

My computer is using 32-bit native at the moment and it is supposed to be able to run 64-bit as well. I bought the 64-bit version thinking that is what I needed, but wanted to check here to see if anyone knows for sure. (AND before I open the box and pay for potentially the wrong one!!)

A follow-up question: Is there any advantage to using one over the other?

Meaning if say the game can be used in 32-bit mode (which is what my computer is set up for) does it use less RAM or run faster or slower with one version over another?

Thanks in advance to all help!

Scott

32-bit can only take advantage of around 3 GB of RAM. If you have the 64-bit version it will utilize 4 or more, so you're good. If you're buying a new OS I can't think of a reason to go with 32-bit. You can fit up to 6GB in that iMac.

Edited by daemian

Hey guys

I am having some issues here. I have the macbook pro 2010 model which surpasses all minimum requirements for the game. I have boot camp installed and Windows 7 64 bit on it.

I installed the game fine but whenever I try to play it it says I am not running it in a compatible OS. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks for the quick response. The only reason I was thinking the 64-bit might not be as good, if in fact it could run in the 32-bit version is because that is what my Mac OS runs at. I also should have included the fact that my iMac only has 4Megs of RAM, which i think is all it can have. I noticed you referenced 6, any idea how that would work? I currently have 2-2Meg cards.

Thanks again for your help. Without this thread I doubt I would even try this - given how many issues people seem to have.

Scott

Thanks for the quick response. The only reason I was thinking the 64-bit might not be as good, if in fact it could run in the 32-bit version is because that is what my Mac OS runs at. I also should have included the fact that my iMac only has 4Megs of RAM, which i think is all it can have. I noticed you referenced 6, any idea how that would work? I currently have 2-2Meg cards.

Thanks again for your help. Without this thread I doubt I would even try this - given how many issues people seem to have.

Scott

4 MB is fine, but you can technically fit 2 more if you wanted to. According to Everymac.com, for your model:

"*Apple officially supports 4 GB of RAM, but third-parties have been able to upgrade the system to 6 GB of RAM using one 2 GB and one 4 GB memory module."

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-24-inch-aluminum-specs.html

Good luck, let us know how it goes. ;)

Edited by daemian

Will do! So to make sure I have my facts straight. I could run the game using a version of Windows 7 at 32-bit, but your recommendation is to try using 64-bit. The reason is because that would allow the game to use more RAM - is that right?

I am assuming that I will be able to find the 64-bit drivers I need once I install bootcamp and Windows 7, despite that my system runs at 32-bit speed. Gosh I wish I understood what I am actually saying...lol.

Thanks again,

Scott

I can't wait to see if this is actually going to work.

Will do! So to make sure I have my facts straight. I could run the game using a version of Windows 7 at 32-bit, but your recommendation is to try using 64-bit. The reason is because that would allow the game to use more RAM - is that right?

I am assuming that I will be able to find the 64-bit drivers I need once I install bootcamp and Windows 7, despite that my system runs at 32-bit speed. Gosh I wish I understood what I am actually saying...lol.

Thanks again,

Scott

I can't wait to see if this is actually going to work.

edit: OK, I just did a google search and found this list of systems compatible with Windows 7 64-bit:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846

Your system isn't listed, so now I'm not sure. It does look like you might need a workaround to get it to install on a 2007 iMac, although this info might be outdated.

Other methods for installing x64 came up in the search as well, so it can be done:

http://www.gopulls.com/blog/2009.08.26/install-windows-7-x64-on-a-mac-beat-the-select-cd-rom-boot-type-error/

The hardware is fine, Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor. There may be a compatibility issue that prevents the 64-bit Windows installer disc from being able to boot without a workaround. You may find it easier to just stick with 32-bit.

Regardless of which OS you use, Boot Camp has all the necessary drivers to get you started, you can update them later if you like. Just read through the instructions carefully and make sure to leave yourself at least 100 GB for the Windows partition.

Edited by daemian

Right now a lot of peole are having issues with frame rates dropping in indoor areas, and low frame rates in general. Check out the long discussion going on about it right here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=133037

Bioware has acknowledged there is an issue. Right now the only things I can suggest to improve FPS are the usual tweaks - turning graphics settings down, vsync off, DOF off, lowering your resolution and experimenting with different drivers. You should also make sure to turn off as many processes in Windows as possible to squeeze the maximum performance out of your machine.

More RAM will only help you if you're using 64-bit Windows. I think the command to see your framerate is ctrl-shift-F.

what would be the ideal resolution

DOF OFF?

evperimenting with other drivers? :eek:

Edited by xCable

daemian - Thank you so much for all your help. The link you posted earlier was the same one where they indicated that I could use a 64-bit version with my computer.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-24-inch-aluminum-specs.html

I am still unsure of whether to try the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or go back and get the 32-bit version. Is the only difference the amount of ram that it can leverage? If so, given the age and specs of my iMac - do you think it would help me to have more ram available for Windows 7 and the game? I am thinking the answer is yes, but wanted to ask your opinion.

Thanks as always,

Scott

what would be the ideal resolution

DOF OFF?

evperimenting with other drivers? :eek:

Ideal resolution is really whatever you can live with. If you're running at 1920x1200, try reducing it until you get the performance you want at a resolution you're happy with. Try 1680x1050, then 1440x900 etc.

DOF is conversation Depth of Field, an option in the game graphic settings. It really only applies to cutscenes, but others have said it helps to keep it off.

New drivers are out for AMD and Nvidia constantly, I know AMD has something new in beta pretty much every month or so. I'm always trying out new ones and going backwards to whichever one gets me the best results.

Edited by daemian

daemian - Thank you so much for all your help. The link you posted earlier was the same one where they indicated that I could use a 64-bit version with my computer.

I am still unsure of whether to try the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or go back and get the 32-bit version. Is the only difference the amount of ram that it can leverage? If so, given the age and specs of my iMac - do you think it would help me to have more ram available for Windows 7 and the game? I am thinking the answer is yes, but wanted to ask your opinion.

Thanks as always,

Scott

Does your Windows disk have both 32-bit and 64 on it? If so I would try the 64-bit first. I would personally go with 64-bit no matter what, but I'm not afraid to spend hours trying to figure something like that out.

Also, because it's an older machine, I would want to be able to access as many resources as possible to maximize performance, and that includes RAM. But that is basically the only difference that matters here.

Your machine is technically capable of running a 64-bit OS, but it may not be as straightforward as installing 32-bit. I honestly don't know.

So... not sure if that helps you. :o It can be done, but I don't have direct experience with it. Someone had created a great post in the old thread before the forum wipe about pre-2008 Macs and installing Windows 7 64-bit, but that's gone now.

No it is an 64-bit OEM version of Windows7. I was trying to save a little money that way. So if it doesn't work I think I am out of luck and would have to buy another copy. Not sure if it would "technically" work on another Mac, but I don't think I could return it and get the other one.

I don't mind spending time to look around and try to find the right drivers, although I am not 100% of what all that entails. I guess I could treat it as a meta-game before the real one. :)

Scott

I'm running the game on a iMac (early 2009) 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB of RAM and the Nvidia GeForce 9400 graphic card. I'm using windows 7 32bit with bootcamp.

Everything on low expect for the textures detail on high (I can't stand having to watch low res textures). I have the depth of field on conversation On and I play at the native resolution of the screen (1680/1050).

Fps are ok-ish outside in open areas but fall down pretty hard inside buildings, to the point of being nearly unplayable. Dunno why (it was the exact opposite when I played WoW with less RAM).

For those familiar with the Smuggler starting location.. I had less fps drop inside the big separatist base by the volcano, in those big caverns. In the normal rooms the loss of fps was again bad.

I remember from the beta that the only warzone I could play kinda normally was Alderaan.

I'm running the game on a iMac (early 2009) 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo with 8GB of RAM and the Nvidia GeForce 9400 graphic card. I'm using windows 7 32bit with bootcamp.

Everything on low expect for the textures detail on high (I can't stand having to watch low res textures). I have the depth of field on conversation On and I play at the native resolution of the screen (1680/1050).

Fps are ok-ish outside in open areas but fall down pretty hard inside buildings, to the point of being nearly unplayable. Dunno why (it was the exact opposite when I played WoW with less RAM).

For those familiar with the Smuggler starting location.. I had less fps drop inside the big separatist base by the volcano, in those big caverns. In the normal rooms the loss of fps was again bad.

I remember from the beta that the only warzone I could play kinda normally was Alderaan.

The FPS drop issue is widespread. Check out the big threads in the Customer Service forum. I guess they're looking into it. You're probably at least the 6th or 7th poster I've seen mention that video card specifically on the forums this week though.

Edited by daemian

Thanks as always,

Scott

By the way, I did some more reading, and I found this thread from 2010.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2607872?start=0&tstart=0

So it looks like the only challenge is hunting down the drivers, and I can't see that being a huge problem.

Well I started the bootcamp process and ran into a snag before being able to even partition my hard drive and now am in the middle of defraging it in hopes of getting rid of the error. More to come.

Scott

Edited by sd_fuller

Ok, I will and hope I have enough space... I have 138 GB free of my 300GB hard drive. Is the game that big? :)

Completed defragmenting my hard drive and still having the issue where is says "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." any ideas? I am going to check the Apple community forums as well.

Thanks, Scott

Edited by sd_fuller

Hm, not sure. Macrumors forums are a good resource too.

The game is about 20GB, plus Windows, but you need room to store temp files, and the game will grow with every update. Before I deleted it my previous TOR folder was up to 38 GB. It just saves you having to repartition again later, which is a huge hassle.

Edited by daemian