Jedi Guardian Feedback

JackieKo

Does this feel like a Jedi Guardian?

No, the removal of combat focus/ aoe taunt/ intercede/ two of (enure/saber reflect/mad dash) makes vigilance feel like watchman sentinel but with no raid buff or force camo.

Is there anything that feels missing or out of place in the combat rotation?

Yep, Saber throw is a great filler and great for when the MANY anti-melee mechanics force you out of 4m range.

Force clarity is our only ONLY offensive cooldown and its gone. Why?

What are your initial thoughts with the effectiveness of the Jedi Guardian against enemies?

Too early to comment tbh, It killed open world enemies on onderon, anything can do that. The solos matches are 4 juggs vs 4 juggs what are you even supposed to do or compare it too. (cant install pts net sucks)

How are you enjoying or not enjoying this class?

Class has 0 identity so it feels terrible

If you have feedback on the different disciplines and ability paths, please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it.

Don't fix what isn't broken, I was excited for loadouts thinking they were simple saved spec was devastated to find out you were completely reworking the wheel

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I would like to thank you guys for all the work you put into making SWToR a great game, which is why I believe this criticism is warranted to keep the game as great as it has been for quite some time now.

Does this feel like a Jedi Guardian? Please explain why or why not.

Sadly, it does not feel like the Jedi Guardian that we have got in live. I don't know to what extent this is due to the lack of customisation and having to rely on pre-built setups but the setups do feel like a level 20-25 Guardian rather than the peak of the Guardian class that you would come to expect at level 75.

Yes, most notably the removal of Saber Throw which helps build Focus and deals some damage. Its absence is greatly felt.

What are your initial thoughts with the effectiveness of the Jedi Guardian against enemies?

Overall, I don't really have complaints; however, taking on some standard NPCs on Onderon while running around questing is not the same as defeating flashpoint or operation bosses and while I haven't actually tested it out, I feel like Guardian wouldn't feel the same in those engagements.

I sadly found myself not really enjoying the class. Guardian feels incomplete now that base abilities that had previously been shared have effectively been locked away/removed (I would assume in exchange for others). Overall, I think this is the wrong way (and most people here seem to agree) to give us more customisation.

Why would we want the new Combat Styles if it implies losing access to some of the abilities we already have? This approach to provide us with more customisation is incorrect from my point of view. We don't want to lose access to existing abilities and utilities, we want new options when it comes to abilities and utilities which expand upon the existing ones.

On the one hand you guys say that you want to give us more options but on the other hand these options come at the cost of choosing between abilities that we already have got access to in live and can choose on our own whether or not to use them. Please, reconsider this approach.

• Does this feel like a Jedi Guardian? Please explain why or why not.

Tried the Focus discipline and for STORY / SOLO content nothing has changed. However, with all the missing abilities, this would be utterly useless for endgame content at this stage.

• Is there anything that feels missing or out of place in the combat rotation?

Not for STORY / SOLO content, but yes for everything else we're missing our utilities that make us survivable and useful.

• What are your initial thoughts with the effectiveness of the Jedi Guardian against enemies?

For STORY / SOLO content nothing has changed. I have serious doubts though that at this stage it's utterly ineffective beyond the basic rotation of a Focus guardian.

• How are you enjoying or not enjoying this class?

Again - it's becoming repetitive - for STORY / SOLO content nothing has changed. I wouldn't want to take this toon into a real fight though (PVP, Nim raid etc.). Trying out a real fight without all my legacy and QOL stuff though I don't really want to go there at all. Stopped playing on the PTS for now as I'm running faster than my speeder takes me and can't assign any utility points after the first two.

was a good build but:confused:at times but all in al in was good i jump to falllen emper and only a litel trober in the dream part but i look frowd to the next buils im going go back and and try diff builds later was faun be a god on frist world lol and hope next bulbs are as good

My main was sith jugg (back in 2011-12) and jedi guard (since they are mirrored) and i faced maaaaany changes. But what happens now i...just cant explain without bad words. All you have to do is to finally balance classes, not to get rid of bunch of important skills. I know you wanna kinda "refresh" the old game, make classes a bit flexible but It seems like SWTOR just gonna be released on mobile...or for meta-nolifers like in other MMO's.

What else BW? Get rid of assassin's force cloak? Nonsense.

So I specifically wanted to give some feedback on the way choices were being handled in the explanation of the new system. Don't force player to choose between two abilities they currently already have in live, ESPECIALLY utility focused abilities. Damaging abilities can be swapped out and the like, but abilities that offer a utility should be available without forcing a player to lose an aspect of the character that is currently in live.

I think if the devs want to do this right, they focus first on making sure that you can have the same exact guardian as live through some path of the choices. Once that is put in place, then you make it so players can chose to lose abilities for the sake of either brand new abilities, or brand new passives. In this respect I liked what I saw on PTS, or more specifically the PTS breakdown on the forums. Things like making blade blits deal more yellow damage or you can have blade storm be an AoE slow. These things are cool, and making it so you can put more into your damage potential at the cost of things like reflect could work. The option between reflect and enure is BAD. Instead it should be an option between reflect, or passives that buff enure even more. Or the option between enure and buffing reflect.

And going to reiterate. Saber throw is not on the table for any of these. It is a utility ability that is just too valuable to get rid of. Make a buff for saber throw be the choice, or make it so base saber throw gives no resource and requires a passive on the selection to have it do that. It would be like if operative lost fragmentation grenade. It is an ability that isn't "core" to any of the specs, but each spec has opportunities where it is useful as a filler.

So to sum up. Good ideas, bad execution. Players hate getting things taken away, and you might actually drive people to drop the game if you get rid of their basics. Make it so players can keep their old skills, but the choices being "Current guardian's build" and "New passive/ability that offers something different". Offer new damage oriented passives/abilities for getting rid of ONE defensive, or new defensives/defensive passives for getting rid of offensive abilities and passives.

I admit I have not tried Jedi Guardian on the PTS, because I haven’t played as that class so I do not feel I can give good feedback in that regard. But I am a subscriber and want to voice my concern over this potential change.

This combat update was marketed to give the player *more* choices and customisability…I honestly don’t see how limiting what abilities we have can give us more options even if it does open us up to other classes. It was announced as though force/tech classes could swap with other classes in the same category… with *all* the abilities the classes have right now. With 2/3 of the abilities being removed I honestly cannot see how this would help me build the character I want. Removing options makes things more restrictive even if it opens us up to other classes…we would just have the option to choose other newly stripped/restricted classes.

That said, I do recognise that this is just the first test…but if it is any sort of representation of what their idea is, making us choose between abilities that we normally would have all of…I am not hopeful or excited. I mainly play as the Sith Inquisitor Assassin - I like that class *a lot*. I cannot imagine having to choose between an ability like Wither or two passives that help me tank better or allow me to do any sort of damage. Especially if that choice could break another ability down the line - for example how Harnessed Darkness is important for Depredating Volts. If I have to choose between something like Wither, Harnessed Darkness, and something else…I just can’t see how that would work as it has a knock-on effect. Maybe you could choose all defensive things you’d need to tank at least sort of efficiently but then I’m sure I’d miss out on some other abilities I love like all my damage lightning/shock abilities.

I never felt the classes I played had too many abilities. Are there abilities I used less? Yes - I am not a great or competitive player. I usually stick to solo content so some things I don’t use much. But I still did sometimes, and I imagine players that do PVP or Operations use a wide range of abilities as the situation requires. That being said, perhaps some abilities could be combined if the devs felt some classes had too much? For example on the Sith Inq Assassin maybe combine Force Cloak (in combat) and Force Stealth (out of combat) so Stealth can be used in combat to Cloak you out? You’d still have the ability to cloak but one less icon?

I’m not sure, I just really hope that this was a *really* poor and broken representation that is not accurate to what is actually going to happen. But I admit I don’t have much faith given that they released it on the PTS. Please please listen to the players and do not remove our abilities after promising us greater customisation.

I was excited to hear about load-outs and the prospect of a year-long 10th anniversary SWTOR celebration, and I see the potential in the new advanced class arrangement. I've been playing since launch and like many others here, I have no doubt been playing more than I would ever admit. But if dumbing today's advanced classes and the gameplay of the last 10 years down to a 1-2-3-4 rotation is the 7.0 future of the game, then I'm afraid the game will no longer be for me.

I wonder: why make such sweeping and game-breaking changes, and why make them now? Why not make minor adjustments relative to 6.x, implement features we've been asking for for months/years, or even just polish the game by fixing some of the myriad of bugs in abilities/missions/items/gear/etc.? Please don't ruin the game.

Can someone on the development team write a short answer in response to this post?

We just don't understand why the game is being changed so radically.

Another poster commented that it felt almost schizophrenic, given what was in the updates for combat in 6.0/Onslaught.

Why put so many resouces into changing classes and specs that have been in the game in a fairly consistent way for nearly 10 years? Why not expand on what was done for Onslaught, which felt like a natural extension of previous eras of SWTOR, and use development time to improve or fix other aspects of the game?

Unless you plan to simply replace much of the existing playerbase, these changes to classes and what are currently advanced class disciplines are going to go over extermely poorly. I suspect there's a significant portion of players that will simply stop logging into SWTOR.

In no way do I intend this post to be hostile or derogatory towards BW employees. It is sincere and honest feedback.

Can someone on the development team write a short answer in response to this post?

We just don't understand why the game is being changed so radically.

Another poster commented that it felt almost schizophrenic, given what was in the updates for combat in 6.0/Onslaught.

Why put so many resouces into changing classes and specs that have been in the game in a fairly consistent way for nearly 10 years? Why not expand on what was done for Onslaught, which felt like a natural extension of previous eras of SWTOR, and use development time to improve or fix other aspects of the game?

Unless you plan to simply replace much of the existing playerbase, these changes to classes and what are currently advanced class disciplines are going to go over extermely poorly. I suspect there's a significant portion of players that will simply stop logging into SWTOR.

In no way do I intend this post to be hostile or derogatory towards BW employees. It is sincere and honest feedback.

I honestly think they do see this as the natural extension of onslaught. A LOT of the new passives read like tactical ideas that weren't good enough for a tactical, or passives that would be a great 4 piece bonus, but would in turn make a 6-piece bonus on top too good.

Blade storm giving an AoE slow is a great idea for an optional passive, but not at the cost of saber throw.

Also keep in mind the pts also was a bit bugged, to my knowledge interrupts and the like shouldn't have been missing. Like I hit defense and the first time around I didn't have guardian strike at all. But it appeared on the second grab of abilities.

I think the best option is to start with the classes as they are now, and then make NEW options as a choice. The PTS was missing the choice aspect.

With PTS now live, you can help test the Combat Style for the Jedi Guardian.

Please answer the following questions:

• Does this feel like a Jedi Guardian? Please explain why or why not.
  • Is there anything that feels missing or out of place in the combat rotation?
  • What are your initial thoughts with the effectiveness of the Jedi Guardian against enemies?
  • How are you enjoying or not enjoying this class?
  • If you have feedback on the different disciplines and ability paths, please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it.

Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking. Please include the specific Discipline and ability path you chose.

Thank you!

Full Disclosure: I do not play Jedi Guardian on live. But I do dabble in Immortal Juggernaut, and I do play Fury/Concentration, so I figured I'd do some basic playtesting just to see how it feels.

The first thing I noticed is that I was missing some utility-type skills (cc break, interrupt, etc.), but I recognize that this is a very early test phase, and I expect that they'll return. (This feedback is written under the understanding that some abilities have not yet been incorporated into new new Combat Styles.) I also noticed that there's no way to check passives and such in-game--they don't all show up in the powers menu. Again, no big deal. I referred to the forum for details and decided to just "play things out" to see how it all felt.

Defense A/B

I have mixed feelings on this. I've been learning Jugg tank in 6.x as "the DCD tank." You have a million cooldowns and using the right one at the right time is a skill. BUT... there's a lot of bloat. We're at a point in the current expansion where all the story modes can be solo-tanked or no-tanked, in part because of DCD bloat across the classes (in addition to capped/uncapped endgame scaling issues). So something needs to change, but I'm not thrilled about all three Guardian Disciplines picking (1) of (Saber Reflect/Blade Biltz/Enure), especially since saber-reflect is the first thing I think of when I think "jugg/guardian tank."

That said, once I wrapped my head around the Flawless Riposte set bonus... it wasn't horrible. I missed Blade Blitz a lot because I like to use it when pulling, but I can probably figure out how to work around that. It would have been better if I actually had the ability to gear defensively on PTS, instead of running obligatory Skank stats. I got all my "tank stats" on my left side, which put me at 37% shield/33% absorb, with no points in Defense. Kind of weird to test a tank when my stats are that wonky.

Does it feel like my Jugg Tank? Uh... no. It's lacking heft, but that might be animations.

Am I enjoying it? I don't dislike it. It's hard to say under these testing circumstances, though. Tanks don't really "shine" in solo-PvE.

Focus A/B

(Disclaimer, again, that this is not a spec I play on live; I play Concentration Sentinel, not Focus Guardian.)

This felt good. Actually, it felt quite durable in both loadouts. The 6.x rotation seems to remain valid-enough, as I had no issues repeating it for a few minutes on the fleet dummies, and playtesting on Onderon with no companion presented no issues. I have no complaints on effectiveness, and (unlike my mixed feelings on the tank spec), no complaints on DCDs or the lack thereof.

Does this feel like a Guardian? ...I guess?

Am I enjoying it? Yes, though I like my sent more. I may actually swap my tank to rage for a bit to compare on live.

BUG?: Focus B's AoE Force Scream has an rather long range, leading to some accidental pulls.

Conclusion:

For an early, pre-alpha type test, this isn't bad. It's different, but that's not a bad thing. I'm reserving full judgement for later test cycles, but the fact is that we're in desperate need of shake-up, and I'd rather see some new takes and improvements on the classes than "oh here, have YET ANOTHER ability."

Edited by Crystal_Mind
additional thoughts

Kind of? At times I didn't feel as much powerful as in live version of the game. Not having access to all the skills made the experience quite strange.

Lack of access to all the abilities present right now in the live version such as Saber Throw or Blade Blitz which I use very often.

Definitely less powerful than in the live version of the game.

In the current state with lack of some abilities I use regularly? I don't enjoy it as much as I could. Having access to many different skills was integral to me creating my own "playstyle". Now I've lost access to them and it felt like I was playing a character around level 30 rather than level 75.

If you have feedback on the different disciplines and ability paths, please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it.

I played Vigilance A and I described my review of its performance above.

Conclusion

All in all, while streamlining some classes in the game might be necessary from the developers perspective, I do not believe that the way that it is presented on the PTS right now is the one that should be used in live version of 7.0. It feels unnecessarily limited and the lack of some abilities is worrisome.

What is more, I don't like the fact that some abilities are now locked behind a specific route (in this case A or B) for the sake of "choice". This is not how I imagined the combat overhaul to look like after the livestream and if this is a way forward than I am seriously worried about other classes such as Sage or Sniper.

These changes feel as if they were made just for the sake of change. I hope that some modifications can still be made to this system and that it is constantly improved in a way that does not cause players to lose access to their favorite skills that they have become accustomed to over the years.

It does feel like a jedi guardian from another game. But nothing like swtor jedi guardian, when you make us choose between defensives, it is just a no go. Do you even play your game? For real, remove 1 defensive from a guardian and it will make it a useless class in most nim fights.Enure + self cleanse utility on warlords nim is a must, but then we won't have reflect and just wipe on Sunder, because you can't skip "the end". Wanna make it interesting, use your time and energy on passive skills, so we can choose between a more offensive tank for certain fights or a defensive build. But removing skills? What is next, commando choose between reflect or kolto overload? Classes are well balanced as they are now, why change something that is good? Trying to make it better? Backfired, cause as it is right now, it's just a bad idea that i hope will not make it into the game. Are you going to make healers pick between aoe healing skills or solo healing? I assume not, so why make this to tanks? One of the best updates we had was powertech tank with emergency power, all 3 tanking classes feel balanced right now, this update feels like a step back. It will feel like a big nerf on the class and a lot of people will probably start using only one class for raiding. Why not focus on real content and give up on this idea? How about give us more than one operation each 2 years? Another story arc focused on ops like we had with Dread Masters?

Rotation itself, not much. But by making us choose defensives, we'll probably die faster in ops/pvp

Will die like flies

Not enjoying. I'm a tank main on my raiding team, been raiding since 5.x and i love jugg/guardian tank. Making me choose between this or that defensive is just the worst idea you've ever had since i've been playing this game, and i've seen a lot of bad ideas coming from you. I love the game, don't get me wrong, thing will not always be as i want, i know that. But gosh darn it, this is just too much of a step back with class balance. It is not broken right now, i play all 3 classes when i raid and all of them feel good, why **** things up like this? I'm scared to see what i'm gonna have to choose on shadow tank or vanguard. Resilience or deflection? lol This will either be the best update this game ever had or the worst, no in between. Listen to the community and people will love it, do as you please and people will hate. Ez pz.

Edited by csilvajonas

It seems to me like in Jedi Guardian Vigilance A is missing some basic ability's or just missing from the ability's menu, Saber Reflect, Focus Defense, Blade blitz, Saber throw, and many more. Blade blitz is missing to help get to or away from sticky situations the basic saber throw is missing from the rotation (my opinion it was a good ability to have when you wanted to keep pressure on a distant target.) but those are just 2 out of the many that made the character feel like a solid character.

When it came to passives, actives, melee, and force the character always felt like a solid character. The only downside that I ever had was that some of the dots from vigilance never really felt like they ticked long enough and now it seems like they tick even quicker. It might just be me I didn't look at a comparison yet or try to. I did notice that the burn on Blade Storm (DoT via the Burning Blade passive.) Ticked off once another dot via the same passive was finished with its active count down. Might have been a fluke but would like someone to take a closer look at it.

oh and one last thing is that the Ability (Vigilant Thrust and the ability Force Sweep are both given to the character and stay with the ability's window when looked through.

So yeah thats my little rant on the Vigilance A side of things and hope to see more improvements. THANKS FOR THE PREVIEW!!!

the fact is that we're in desperate need of shake-up, .

We are? Says who?

That's news to me.

cuz everyone i talk to in-game and on the forums for the past 10 years has always clamored for more CONTENT (story, ops, quests, crafting, exploration, immersion, etc. etc. ) .

I've never heard 1 single player (not even a troll) say to me: "Hey you know what this game really needs? A big combat simplification shake-up like the NGE did to SWG!!" :rolleyes:

---

These changes feel as if they were made just for the sake of change..

Bingo. ^

I have great respect for Developers & Coders , especially while on-staff at 'SWGEmu' (the original) , but one of their biggest flaws imo is how much they always fall into the same numbers trap of "okay our team is gonna be the team to really FIX combat this time!" :(

Make tweaks? Give options? Force choices? Sure, np.

But addition by subtraction?! meh, no thanks.

Hopefully 1 of 2 things are happening here: Either all of "us" are overreacting since we haven't barely seen the full extent of this update & revamp. Or....BioWare is just going to the extreme (on purpose) for this 1st PTS pass and that way , when they dial things back a bit, it will seem like a big "PHEW!" rather than a massive "SHEESH?!" :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder

According to this article https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20210709 [emphasis added]:

"To achieve these goals, we are identifying key aspects of the Jedi Guardian, and understanding how players both perceive and utilize the class's abilities. Our focus is to equip the player with knowledge and understanding of these abilities so they can make impactful choices when it comes to ability upgrades and customizations. To make the class feel less encumbered and customization more concise, we are working to reduce the quantity of abilities but ensuring that the class remains distinct and unique."

Hence, the goal of the devs seems to be facilitating to play a class. However, in my opinion this goal cannot be achieved.

First: the quantity of abilities is not reduced but only the quantity of abilities available to a player at the same time; hence, the player is still confronted with the same number of total skills theoretically available to the class; the difference is that he/she now has to select before a fight which skill to use instead of being able to select the appropriate skill as occasion demands;

Second: the player is forced to choose between abilities which are currently all available to him/her and whereof two or even all three are useful in a fight; thus, unexperienced players are as likely to select the wrong ability/passive as they are now when selecting utilities; However, with the current 7.0 plan, an incorrect selection will be even more severe;

Third: the potential of a class is significantly reduced; although not each and every skill has a use in each fight, a DPS Guardian able to stun adds with Awe can be an asset in a fight; however, with 7.0, selecting Awe sacrifices DPS; hence, the group utility of a class (and this will apply to any class, since the number of available skills at the same time will accordingly be reduced) is severely reduced;

Fourth: this results in that classes being less viable in a fight than others become even less viable; for example, the Guardian DPS suffers from the fact that all other DPS classes currently have a permanent 30% AoE-damage reduction (with the respective utility), whereas the Guardian only temporary has 60% AoE-damage reduction for 15 sec all 45 sec; in nearly every bossfight there is continous AoE-damage, not only at intervals of 45 sec, which results in the Guardian taking more damage therefrom in case not using defs; since the available defs are significantly reduced (only one of Blade Blitz, Enure and Saber Reflect), the Guardian DPS even becomes less viable;

Thus, changing classes before each bossfight to a more viable class for the respective fight becomes even more relevant.

In case you simply want to expel nim-raiders, or players doing more difficult HC, you will achieve your goal.

But, playing a class will not be facilitated. So please drop this plan at once.

In case you nevertheless deem the current plan necessary, please add the possibility to use the current style of skills and utilities in nim operations and ranked pvp. In particular, do not reduce the total number of abilities available at the same time in these instances.

I played the Vigilance Guardian A. (I do play it on the live servers from time to time as well)

Yes, it still feels very much like the normal, live version of it. I still have all of the core abilities, (except saber throw, but we were told we could choose that later on, it just wasn't included in the ability paths you provided us with for this PTS cycle), and the fighting is also still the same, at least for PVE.

missing: stun/cc-break & interrupt (bug?)

out of place:

force push - still a rather useless ability for PVE, the only time I can see myself using that is if i need to interrupt a channel of an enemy, in case you dont add the normal interrupt again. For PVP, this ability might still have some use.

Slash - I get that this is a basic, core ability. Every Jedi needs to have a saber slash of sorts, but after you have your full rotation, there simply is no need to ever use this ability. It still becomes very redundant in the higher levels. I would like to see this ability be replaced by another ability once you reach a certain level (like force swing gets replaced by Vigilant thrust) (edit: this is also the case on the live server, very useless ability at lvl 75)

possible bug 1:

In the abilities window, i had both force swing and vigilant thrust available to use, even though the latter should replace the former. I was therefore able to use both abilites, even though they shared a cooldown.

possible bug 2:

the new passive abilities didn't show in the abilities window.

possible bug 3:

zealouse leap wasn't available to me, even though in your description of the pre-set abilities it said that I should have had it

The damage dealt still feels pretty much the same to me, however, I would be able to give a more precise answer if I had my full gear.

BUT: the survivability feels down a looooooooot, i even struggled against the silver enemies on Onderon (also my companion was weak af, and therefore always dead after 2 or three enemies, which might factor into that - also, better gear might change survivability)

I am overall still enjoying this class, as I said, it still feels very much the same, despite some utilites missing. Fighting with a lightsaber is still very enjoyable.

I would also like to add, that I kind of understand the comments, saying that this feels like a dumbed-down version of the Guardian, because the PTS version might have a very hard time being useful in PVP, there are very few defensive abilites left for the non-tank classes.

I play a fair amount of defense and vigilance on my guardian in primarily mmfp's, and normal and hard mode ops. What we got is a stripped down, pruned version of the live specs. It's not just missing abilities, and pruning of "fluff" or something like that. It is KEY abilities, KEY skills that are vital to the core performance of class.

My main question is WHY??? I assume this is the theory behind the whole system, and we will see this across all classes, to have KEY ability pruning to try to introduce more choice into the game. WHY does this game need massive changes like this to all classes? This game doesn't need to be dumbed down, it needs more complexity, such as an additional class entirely.

I am now extremely worried and annoyed by this idea of combat styles, which initially sounded great. The idea that you could potentially pick multiple different advanced classes, however this is what we got?? If this is the idea behind fighting styles, I would rather the whole idea be scrapped and eliminated.

Major pruning of all classes may not affect things too drastically for SM ops and maybe SM and Vet FP's and solo content. But this is going to be highly game changing for all harder content (hard MMFP's, HM OPS). If this is your intention, you will need to adjust future and current content in the game to allow for this pruning. And if this is not done, then I fear this having to "choose" will lead to more frustration than reward.

Again it brings me back to the question of WHY??? Why does the game need this? Why implement class pruning and therefore need changes to all current and future harder content?. I would rather not have combat styles and keep the current system, if this is what combat styles means - That I have access to multiple combat styles, but they are all gutted and pruned combat styles of the currently available specs.

I would rather just continue to play my multiple characters of different classes, the way they are on live.

I am hoping this is just a very primitive PTS version of this, and that there will not actually be pruning like this, but time will tell I suppose

Edited by Farcolder

So I have never played Guardian dps so haven't bothered testing but have tried both Guardian Tank builds in flashpoints and on planets, reading a lot of comments on the forum I do personally feel people are over reacting slightly or haven't read BW initial post. I do think that we should have received a breakdown of ability path for each discipline as it was extremely hard to work out what each one was for Tanking builds.

I don't think ability paths are a bad idea in general but since we are so restricted and limited, not being able to pick our own path has probably thrown a lot of people off. Removing abilities has scared a lot of people but maybe its to make way for new abilities not ready for release?

I have answered the questions below.

Please answer the following questions:

Tanking wise, this still feels like a Guardian but very restricted to melee range, its hard to fully compare to a Guardian on live server since its not possible to tank an Operation but in flashpoints. Didn't have an issue surviving on either builds but struggled to tank adds which spawned on multiple sides due to only having Force leap as a closer and no saber throw or blade blitz, Its doable but extremely slow

Also missing abilities but will make a list below

Some abilities seem to be missing that I don't believe were options on the ability paths:

• Stun Break
  • Interrupt
  • Disptach
  • Force Clarity

I think because these abilities are missing it makes the ability dumbing down look worse than it actually is, with these added in I don't think it would seem that bad.

Build A

This Build I actually enjoyed, it felt a lot more powerful for a Guardian and I could keep aggro easy without using taunts at all. New Blade Burst was a big improvement for the class although currently bugged ( was pulling mobs up to 75m infront of me) and do think passives are an upgrade for the class in areas it was struggling on Live , like aoe add control.

I didn't actually notice the difference when not having enure equipped, wasn't taking huge amounts of damage and if needed focused defence was more than enough but can't say if it would be a massive hinderance in progression ops , all depends if scaling is done correctly.

Major negatives was the class felt so limited and slow due to missing blade blitz and saber throw, if these are going to be optional abilities then I would recommend putting some sort of speed increase as getting to adds after using using Force leap is just stupidly slow and you'd never keep aggro of ranged dps.

Also it felt kinda wrong not having saber throw as an opener, its a waste using a taunt to start the fight and again if you use leap and then another mechanic happens your just far to slow to respond.

Build B

This Build was harder to test due to some abilities that went with the path weren't made available (Dispatch is one), was still a strong build and had some great passive defences and felt very similar to a Guardian on Live now if not stronger. I didn't actually need to use enure at all in flashpoints, didn't even use it once. Survivability was easy and again focused defence was more than enough but can't speak for progression

Negatives are the same as previous build.

Tanking effectiveness is still pretty high and can do their job as a tank but restrictions to full melee range and move ability equal to 0 , you'd heavily if not fully have to rely on team members in fast paced environments or you just wouldn't be taken as this class

Touching on some points other people have mentioned on the forum

Loss of Abilities

I feel like the way progression ops are scaled atm , a lot of people feel they need every ability given to them especially defensives. If content gets scaled correctly and not all abilities are needed then its more suggestable for people to understand

Again I don't think its as bad as people are making out, although it seems like you are making us have multiple load outs for a certain discipline depending on what sort of bosses you are doing , if this is the intention then fair enough. Not picking your own ability path aswell has put a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths.

PvP based

Kinda like the idea people don't have so much survivability and cooldowns, a lot of matches get boring as no one dies.

A vigilance: Combat proficiencies window highlighted but not opening. This would be useful personally cause I find it easier to view in that window to figure out the rotation.

Jedi Force Might ability not working

Force Sweep AND Vigilant Thrust abilities available though the latter replaces the former.

Other traits still present boosting abilities no longer present on this version of guardian.

I appear to be missing two parts of the DOT burn rotation still referenced on traits.

Feels really pared down.

On Onderon as an edit: companion feels pretty weak, does not feel like a heavily DOT discipline.

Edited by Antonine