Announcing Legacy of the Sith, the next expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic!

DanielSteed

Sounds good. We're still light on details but the "combat styles" is a lot to absorb all by itself (my sent using a dualsaber or my guardian using dual sabers - I'm looking forward to the variety). If there was an update that just revolved around combat styles I would call that the best update this game has had since SOR. And I'm interested in the "load outs"... I have a lot of characters, will I be able to share gear sets with all of them without having to use my legacy bank every time I log in (and before I log out)?

If you completely change the endgame gearing process again please give us as many details as possible as soon as possible. It takes time for some of us to wrap our heads around those.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I get it. You pick your story, ie: Smuggler then you pick your playstyle, ie: Sniper. You are essentially a sniper on the Republic side with the Smuggler's story. I thought you were changing weapons like say Scrapper with a rifle with whole new animations.

This is what it will be. If you use a assault cannon, you will use Gunnery or Assault Spec, and if you use double blasters, any of the 3 gunslinger specs or any of the 3 current mercenary specs. So you wont get grav round when using a sniper rilfe, you will still be a trooper, but you will be using any of the 3 current sniper specs. (ect ect ect for all classes)

Also in connection with the Galactic Seasons timing. With season 1 it was stated that they would last for 5-6 months, which would mean it would end in September. But in the announcement, it was stated that season 2 will start with 7.0s launch. Does that mean season 1 will last until then or end in September and then we don't have anything for 2-3 months? Because it would give some people some extra time to get levels and some more time to get the rewards from the vendor as they rotate. Thanks in advance :D

Looks promising. Wonder how it works in action.

If I choose my Medicine Operative to use a blaster cannon, will I be using the Combat Medic skills or will I stick to the Medicine skills and the weapon is just a cosmetic change?

Edit: Oh wait, it means everyone in a FP can switch to stealth class, stealth through everything, then switch back to their preferred spec in boss fight? That would be WONDERFUL.

Edited by eabevella

My thoughts exactly. Our Manaan stronghold always felt rushed and half fnished. Now is the time to expand the underwater portion!

Yeah I am glad to see a few others mention this. One of the first things I thought when they mentioned going to Manaan for the story was, "I hope they consider finishing the Manaan stronghold."

We're now at the point where I would rather they finished that stronghold, which has so much potential, than that they make a new one.

And I always felt that the Manaan SH was supposed to be bigger but they ran out of time or something.

Pretty hyped about this. Nice Name of the Expansion, the Story Hooks are compelling to me and I'm already wondering what is going on.

To start, I'd like to point out to the Devs (if they read this) that I'm surprised in a very positive way about combat styles. Trying to innovate some gameplay after 10 years in wasn't something I expected and I sincerely hope it works well for the team and the players alike. I've been around since launch in 2011 and haven't played actively for a while, I just do Role-play with my guild because at some point I felt like I've pretty much seen it all. This expansion announcement makes me want to play actively again.

Now, a few thoughts and "pretty please" requests:

1. Please use this opportunity to include more visual character customization options in the character editor. If you are already planning a new look and feel of the tool, round it up with new hairstyles, accessories, leather bends for lekku or longer lekku for togruta (especially the males) and so on. If you want to get fancy, make Cyborg-Options available to every race (would tie in nicely with the theme of having more choices, *hint hint*), or include a new body type 5 or something. Anything, really.

2. As many other players have pointed out in this thread already: An additional part to the Manaan-SH would be awesome. The option to walk around outside or just something more underwater. Realignment of some hooks would be cool as well, but yeah. It's such a great stronghold in terms of look and feel and atmosphere and so many players love it but at the same time, so many feel like it's pretty unusable at the moment. It's a wasted opportunity.

Make the additional part locked so it can only be bought after one has completed the story part on Manaan which establishes the Foothold of the Faction and unlocks the daily area. Just a thought here.

3. A year ago, Charles had a discussion regarding the official timeline of events (https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9852711#edit9852711) He wanted to check some things internally and confirm what he said in that post via an official blog post or something. Still to this date I and many other role-players are waiting on that. Would be awesome if you could confirm/adjust that stuff so we know where we are at.

On that note: Would be awesome if you could include some specifics regarding the time in LotS, maybe in codex-entries or something. Just makes RP lives easier and has no negative side effects for anybody else.

4. About that Sith Cult. Please include plenty of information about them. Some minor factions of the past felt like a very interesting idea and were not explored in great detail and left to rott afterwards. My best example are the Sixth Line Jedi from Ziost. Such a waste :(

5. Sound-Tuning: Old topic, basically the option to customize the sound effects of a weapon since many of them sound different and more often than not you find something that looks cool but does not sound like you'd hoped and vice versa. Just like normal tunings these could be CC-Market only and provide additional revenue which surely you wouldn't mind, would you? :rak_03:

In any case, can't wait for the add-on and more info about it in the following weeks.

Cheers

Please make specs lock in FPs with no way to respec. I do not want to be constantly respeccing from shadow (stealth) to sentinel (my preferred and best known class) all the time to avoid adds that can be killed in 1 min.

Another heavily Sith themed expansion... Basically the only true neutral content was launch, with class/planet stories, then EV and KP. Even RotHC that started as neutral (Makeb) took a Sith turn with the continuation of the Dread Masters storyline (Oricon was part of RotHC). We had a bit of a break with Revan then it went full Emperor storyline for years.

There was the opportunity to do something with mandos between Shae and her Nemesis and the hype around the Mandalorian series. And don't the Jedi have secrets to unveal too?

Edited by demotivator

Sooo ... a new Expension ....

Story line looks good - always liked Malgus - lets see what he found.

A bit more light theme would also be appreciated - its not like the Republic isnt participating in the war!

New FP and OP where to be expected ... we´ll have to see if they are any good.

The new Playstyle option is actually the big news here.

This fundamentaly changes a lot!

Sadly not only in good ways (at least in my head).

This will be a blow to Class Identity - depending on how far this goes the diffent playstyles per class are obsolete.

You can now play whatever playstyle you want with every Tech/Force class. Why have several Force Characters to explore every Force Sub Class when its all done in one go?

Next would be Balancing in every PvP area. So i will see Troopers with sniper rifles? Troopers with heavy Armour?

How are other stats involved and how is the rest of the gear changed whenn we change Configurations?

This system has a lot of (mostly convinience and some RP) potential - but i dont know if this wont blow up in our face.

Allready seeing people screaming to other players why they are not in *insert-OP-Spec-of-the-day*.

I always hoped for more Classes - more Storylines.

Evene if its just Copy-classes.

I am not saying thie HAS to be bad.

But right now i see a mostly superficial experiance with no actual gameplay benefit, and a lot of questions that will have to be answered in the future.

Kind Regards and keep rocking!

A lot of people have commented that they can't wait to see Operatives with assault cannons, Powertechs with rifles, Guardians shooting lightning, etc. Realistically that's not going to happen.

From what I can tell, we're going to have a split between the Base Class (Jedi Knight, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, etc.) which determines your character's story, and the Advanced Class which determines the gameplay. Example: Imperial Agent Commando – a character following the Imperial Agent storyline, but with all of the abilities and disciplines of the Commando Advanced Class. You won't be rolling around with an assault cannon and stabbing people in an Operative/Commando hybrid – there's not a mix-and-match. Agent is for the story, Commando is for the gameplay.

Note that the devs commented on having a Trooper dual-welding (Rex), or a Bounty Hunter using a rifle (Din) – there is a clear distinction between the Bounty Hunter as a Base Class and the Mercenary/PT Advanced Classes. That means that your Bounty Hunter (Base) could be a Vanguard (Advanced) – sure you can use a rifle, but it would mean using the VG animations.

So a Jedi Knight using lightning – yes, we'll see that with Jedi Knight using the Sorceror combat style. But a Guardian using lightning mixed in with their other abilities – I strongly doubt it.

This is just opening up the possibility to respec between multiple Advanced Classes. That's not a bad thing, but I do worry that some people are getting their hopes up a bit much. :)

Of course, I'm happy to be wrong. Perhaps there will be more flexibility with weapon cosmetics, but with the amount of animation that would be needed to re-work all AC's abilities to play with each type of weapon, I would be very surprised.

Edited by JarenWelen

Unless I'm understanding it wrong, it just seems weird to me. A Bounty Hunter with a sniper rifle using sniper skills? An Agent with an Assault Cannon using Commando skills? Healing Powertechs and Juggs?

I wanted to have a Mercenary wielding a blaster rifle instead of two pistols but it seems you still won't be able to use a blaster rifle with Mercenary skills (which is what I think people were really asking for).

Although, I'll now definitely be making a dark side Madness Consular now.

Does this mean we'll be able to make a single Jedi character who can fight in all the ways Obi-Wan Kenobi does?

• Single lightsaber (Guardian)
  • Two lightsabers (Sentinel)
  • Force Crush (Warrior)
  • Blaster Pistol (BH/SM)
  • Sniper Rifle (Sniper)

It means its going to be a broken mess. Just picture a marauder rolling vengeance spec. Basically a vengeance jugg having access to force speed, force camo, unyielding rage etc.....The entire concept sounds awful to me.

Healing Powertechs and Juggs?

If I understand correctly, we won't have healing Powertechs and Juggs. I'm going to use the format Base Class (Advanced Class). If you have a Bounty Hunter (Powertech) who respecs to a Bounty Hunter (Mercenary) or Bounty Hunter (Operative) to select the healing discipline, they'll cease to be a Powertech. You will still be playing the Bounty Hunter story and using the Bounty Hunter ship/companions, but you're no longer a Powertech. I agree, it's weird.

It means its going to be a broken mess. Just picture a marauder rolling vengeance spec. Basically a vengeance jugg having access to force speed, force camo, unyielding rage etc.....The entire concept sounds awful to me.

Again, this is just not going to happen – it won't be a mix-and-match. You won't be picking Vengeance as Marauder, you'll need to respec to Juggernaut. From then on, you're playing a Juggernaut with Juggernaut abilities, defensives, animations, etc. It won't matter that you used to be a Marauder. If you then respec to Sorceror, you lose all your Juggernaut abilities and you are now just playing a Sorceror.

I was VERY excited until I have seen 5 new levels... I say no new character levels. Please leave our level as is. At the end game level, so many people are crying everything is too hard. Its because they are not prepared for higher levels. Plus I just don't want to grind for higher gear again...

Welcome to MMO's....Gear resets with a level cap increase are necessary.

I think I get it. You pick your story, ie: Smuggler then you pick your playstyle, ie: Sniper. You are essentially a sniper on the Republic side with the Smuggler's story. I thought you were changing weapons like say Scrapper with a rifle with whole new animations.

I am pretty sure this is exactly what they mean. THe idea of mixing and match different advanced class abilities is ludicrous. Would be great, but common sense says that is not the case. I am pretty confident that weapon types are still tied to the advanced classes because all the advanced class animations are tied to the type of weapon(s) you are using. I would not get your hopes up of being a rifle using powertech unless you intend on choosing the current operative or vanguard advanced classes.

Its pretty obvious that they thought about this. They mentioned they would rework where abilities come from. Today, we get part of our abilities from our base class but most from the advanced class. Obviously they will make changes to where all abilities come from the advanced class. As they mentioned in the live stream the reason for the change is to separate story from gameplay. The only thing that is going to be tied to the base class is the story. All combat and other stuff will be tied to the combat style. You want have a force speed vengence. force speed will still be tied to the

12 playstyles represented by the current 4 advanced classes of counselor/inquistor.

Please make specs lock in FPs with no way to respec. I do not want to be constantly respeccing from shadow (stealth) to sentinel (my preferred and best known class) all the time to avoid adds that can be killed in 1 min.

Well it really shouldn't be an issue. They already stated that you'll be able to make multiple loadouts. So you can stamp all your gear, your bars, and utilities and then just switch with a click of a button. And locking people out from doing this in a FP is an insane idea (or in any content besides maybe pvp once the match has started). But thankfully you wouldn't be forced to switch specs if you truly didn't wnt to

Edited by CrazyScruffy