Can't log into DM, World loading. Stuck on character screen

-Ashton-

Okay fixed the problem, did the following from: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/GUIDE-Launcher-Stuck-at-0-or-100-Complete/m-p/5282877#M28

"close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder.

Then start the launcher"

did that and now I'm back in. cooler head also helped, this thinking part is painful

Try this! It worked for me, thanks for this hint <3

Did that also and it had no effect. Can play a toon on the starter world but not any established toon. Can not even travel to any of my strongholds on the new toon.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sareeph

You need to disable the BitRaider.

Ensure the Launcher is NOT running

Go to Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic (Or wherever is stored on your computer) and open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

Change to:

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

and

,"bitraider_disable": false

Change to:

, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes. Delete the BitRaider folder .

Start the launcher. You will have to do an almost a new game download but for now this is the best solution

Edited by Naholen

@Sareeph

"snip"

Unfortunately the above instructions can not help me. I removed bitraider YEARS ago and no longer have it installed on my machine. I use the nonstreaming patcher but I still drop to desktop after hitting "play". What should folks with my problem do? I used the repair option several times and it still happens. I'm very frustrated..

Edited by Hoplop

Deleting Bitraider worked for me. However...

I completely logged out and quit game yesterday and had to delete Bitraider all over again this morning. I thought deleting it once would save the deletion configuration. I was wrong.

I'm fortunate that when it goes through verification process it is just the latest patch and not the entire game.

Problem for me is I sometimes get the 'double overlapping music bug' -- particularly on Alderaan. The only way for me to fix that is to quit game entirely. If I have to DL patch every time I quit the game I will be...

Vexed, and Greatly So.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I did the delete bit raider thing. > nope.

I did the change the streaming text line to 'disable = true' > nope all this did was force a redownload of the entire files and still nothing. I am still downloading and cant update till its over yet the entire library is there. (lame)

@Sareeph

Go to Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic (Or wherever is stored on your computer) and open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line

Change to:

and

Change to:

Start the launcher. You will have to do an almost a new game download but for now this is the best solution

For sure this is a solution but I have done this before in another occasion and would leave as last solution since re-installing the whole game will take a substantial amount of time depending on your ISP. Hopefully, Devs can fix this issue for those who have it. I myself rather wait until they fix it rather than use the nuke option IMO.

So I need to reinstall the entire game to be able to play ?

Doesn't work... and yes , now I remember that I logged in only once last evening after patch and played for a while. Had I quit the game and tried to start again, the problem would have showed ittself like it did today.. Now I cannot play at atll . :mad::mad::mad:

Edited by DavidAtkinson

@Sareeph

Change to:

and

Change to:

Done this 10 times even made the file read only and as soon as the launcher launches Bit raider appears again and the game reverts every thing back that I changed.... Still stuck at 0.00% download and can only play newbie characters..

This game is a freaking virus.

Edited by alphamalebsr

Done this 10 times even made the file read only and as soon as the launcher launches Bit raider appears again and the game reverts every thing back that I changed.... Still stuck at 0.00% download and can only play newbie characters..

This game is a freaking virus.

1) when you make these changes, neither the game nor the launcher can be running

- check OS task manager to be sure

2) do you have multiple game file locations? (ie, manual installation in one location, origin installed in another)

- make sure you are updating the one that is being used

3) even if you have done this in the past, it never hurts to verify your launcher settings as updates have been known to reset user changes /settings and replace files...

Edited by Kaveat

Encouraged by all the helpful folks here, THANK YOU, but nothing works for me. Sad that there is no new update today, would be great if Dev's provided some kind of update. Hopefully Kathleen Kennedy is not working on the solution.

Okay different day same problem, some how after getting it to work last night shutdown the computer it went back to Quick play mode this afternoon. so i am once again deleting Bit Raider folder and re-downloading it. If it works ii hope to a higher power i don't have to do this every day or every computer shutdown.

Time passing

After download

working, so Bit Raider is the problem. and shutting down the PC.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and after the launcher finishes everything I get the same screen where none of my characters are playable until the download finishes but after hours on end just stays at 0% so uninstalling and reinstalling is not a work around

I do NOT use bitraider...haven't for many years, yet I too have problems. After the long patch and hitting "play" the client went on to the loading screen. Then I drop to desktop. I've used the repair option on my 3 additional attempts but without success. The last character I used yesterday was on DM.

I don't even get as far as the server select screen before I crash. Everything was fine before this patch. What's going on?

* UPDATE *

I'm able to log on now after patching the TESTSERVER. Somehow doing that added or fixed whatever it was that was making me crash off the production servers.

Edited by Hoplop

I had opened a ticket concerning this issue and actually got an email back. The steps to follow (copied from said email) are:

>Close the SW:TOR launcher.

>Download the launcher repair file here : http://cdn-patch.swtor.com/patch/LauncherRepairUtilityD2020.0.6.exe

>When you’re asked, choose to Save the file.

>Copy or move the downloaded file to your SW:TOR game folder:

32-bit Windows - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

64-bit Windows - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

>Once you’ve copied the file, double-click on it to run it.

>Choose Install, and let it run.

>When it’s finished running, it opens the launcher. Try logging in and patching again.

However, I solved the issue for me by finally reinstalling the game and deactivating streaming mode. I suppose it doesn't matter if you uninstall the game or not, deactivating streaming mode is always followed by downloading the whole game (~40GB according to my game folder) ... however, after doing that everything worked fine.

Deactivating Streaming mode:

- Go to the SWTOR directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic)

- Open the file "launcher.settings" using notepad or notpad++ (any texteditor will do)

- change "bitraider_disable": false to "bitraider_disable": true

- save the file

- start the launcher

Good luck, may the downloadrate be with you ... :-)

The Launch Repair file didn't work. It didn't restart the download.

I'm trying the modify bitraider disable false/true thing, now. It's downloading "English Video 1." Strange, but let's see how that turns out.

EDIT:

Well, the result of doing that bitraider disable false/true thing is that it's downloading the entire game....

I woke up this morning to look see if it was done. It wasn't. I think it's a mess. I stopped the process, uninstalled it, and am now downloading from scratch.

I don't recommend using the above method to fix it. It just results in a whole long re installation or reorganization of your game install.

Just wait for Bioware to patch the game.

EDIT 2:

After a clean re-install, problem persisted.

I tried this Link:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/GUIDE-Launcher-Stuck-at-0-or-100-Complete/m-p/5282877#M28

But it did not work for me. Be careful, there are quite a few details in the instructions. If you're one of them "speed readers," you might miss some important steps.

In any case, it didn't work for me.

I guess I'll just play another game.... Who knows how long before Bioware fixes this?

Maybe I'll start Skyrim? I bought it years ago, but never played it....

Edited by WorldSmasher

I don’t use bitraider and get so close to my game loading to play. I can select my character but the load screen just sits there after the bar loads near the end. Been like this for 2 days now. Uninstalled, reinstalled, all that Jazz and same result.

Anyone else with this issue?

* UPDATE *

I'm able to log on now after patching the TESTSERVER. Somehow doing that added or fixed whatever it was that was making me crash off the production servers.

That’s is weird as the game files are seperate. I can’t think of what could cause that.

yes im on SS

Damn :mad:

I know this is no help to people, but my wife and I have had no issues and I use bit raider and she doesn’t.

The one thing that I can confirm is that we haven’t done any recent Windows 10 updates in the last 3 months as we have it semi permanently disabled because I know recent updates have been breaking Windows 10 PCs.

Of course this probably has nothing to do with Windows update, but stranger things have happened and it’s so weird that it seems random. So I wouldn’t rule it out.

What might help Bioware is if people here listed hardware and driver versions as well as versions + build of Windows, including security software (as these can cause issue too).

AND BIOWARE SHOULD BE HERE COMMUNICATING WITH THE PLAYERS TO GET THIS FIXED!

BIOWARE, WHERE ARE YOU?

If it helps for comparisons :

Windows 10 pro. Version 1709, build 16299.1087

Norton internet security

Intel i7 5770k & i7 4790k

G.Skill Ram

Asus Motherboards

Nvidia graphics cards (gtx 1080, gtx 1660) driver version 26.21.14.4219

Samsung NVMe 960 pro