(Unofficial) WARNING - SPOILERS ALLOWED - Talk about Onslaught story thread - SPOILER

ZionHalcyon

Onderon is nice, Mek-Sha is nice. Outside of these, the only interesting aspect of the expansion is the Kira/Scourge epilogue. I'm honestly stunned at just how creatively bankrupt, banal, unintriguing and boring the story of Onslaught was. "Fleet going to defend/take Corellia". That's literally it. All headlined by same-old-same-old Malgus. Half of the time playing the expansion I had deja vu of vanilla content I already beat 8 years ago.

Say what you want about the execution of KOTFEET, the Valkorion part in particular, but in comparsion to Onslaught, that story was a tsunami of fresh ideas, massive cast of surprising characters, new cultures & civilizations, unexpected developements, twists & turns, intrigues, mysteries, etc.

Seriously Bioware? "Rehashed Malgus Imp vs Rep plot of the day" is your idea of SWTOR's story going forward? You CANNOT blame me for expecting more from professional writers

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

The Republic side especially felt like an AI wrote it after running a few database inquiries on all Pub stories and Iokath. You've got generic Sith A to redeem after a tepid, unconvincing conversation. You've got wavering Jedi whose faith you have to reinforce--- as a gunslinger :p You've got the Iokath-level contemptuous offers extended to you by the powers-that-be. They may be more flowery, but they're still a massive demotion and they still show that the head honchos really have no respect for any of your toon's accomplishments. And aside from a few Empire or Republic phrasings, the rest is copy-pasted from the other side's dialog.

You've got a flashpoint that's boring Corellia assets tacked on to a Star Fortress layout. You have virtually no plot or story inside it. Just endless waves of boring trash, all without having some sense of larger meaning.

The Empire side was slightly more interesting, but that's because the big names you interact with have a little personality. That said, even the quests occurred in the same instances. The maps were identical. Rep-side, I'd been wondering about closed-off exits and explosive barrels placed in empty corridors in the Onderon palace. Saw them later on my Imp toon and used the barrels :D

I wish the writers would take as much care in storycrafting as the world design artists take in their creations. The difference feels glaring.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I sat for a moment, slightly stunned by Vowrawn's offer, so much so that I pushed ESC before committing, and now I can't decide. At first blush it's preposterous to suggest that I, the most powerful Sith in the galaxy, relinquish my independence to serve as another man's lackey, no matter how highly placed. But the Imperial Throne is a substantially more powerful position than any Alliance command; in which case, what is more prudent: to maintain the status quo, working sub-contractually as some sort of galactic junior partner oranization? Or make the implausible attempt to seize the Throne in an against-all-odds military assault upon the heart of the Empire and take it by force? (I can do almost anything, after all.) Or, remaining true to Sith principles, do I secretly scheme to usurp the top spot as positioned from the second most senior spot? A true Sith, bent on total power, would burn his alliance in an instant and all who were loyal to it to leverage his way to the Imperial Throne, and the Emperor's Hand is just one seat away from that aim. I've reached Dark V and have always considered myself extremely Sithy. I think Palpatine, for all his flaws, was a reasonably cool guy who had his dark, soulless heart more or less in the right place. That said, I don't think the writers at BioWare will ever let us become the Imperial Emperor, so I'm probably gonna tell Vowrawn to stick it and continue to swim as a big fish in a small pond as the Alliance Commander. But a part of me really wants to rejoin the Imperial banner to see what dark secrets may be revealed. Very conflicted.

TL;DR: Do I go Empire or Alliance?

With my ds sw I picked Alliance (even though at the start I was intending to pick Empire). The loss of power was too large to go back to Wrath again after being the leader of the Alliance.

So I sat for a moment, slightly stunned by Vowrawn's offer, so much so that I pushed ESC before committing, and now I can't decide. At first blush it's preposterous to suggest that I, the most powerful Sith in the galaxy, relinquish my independence to serve as another man's lackey, no matter how highly placed. But the Imperial Throne is a substantially more powerful position than any Alliance command; in which case, what is more prudent: to maintain the status quo, working sub-contractually as some sort of galactic junior partner oranization? Or make the implausible attempt to seize the Throne in an against-all-odds military assault upon the heart of the Empire and take it by force? (I can do almost anything, after all.) Or, remaining true to Sith principles, do I secretly scheme to usurp the top spot as positioned from the second most senior spot? A true Sith, bent on total power, would burn his alliance in an instant and all who were loyal to it to leverage his way to the Imperial Throne, and the Emperor's Hand is just one seat away from that aim. I've reached Dark V and have always considered myself extremely Sithy. I think Palpatine, for all his flaws, was a reasonably cool guy who had his dark, soulless heart more or less in the right place. That said, I don't think the writers at BioWare will ever let us become the Imperial Emperor, so I'm probably gonna tell Vowrawn to stick it and continue to swim as a big fish in a small pond as the Alliance Commander. But a part of me really wants to rejoin the Imperial banner to see what dark secrets may be revealed. Very conflicted.

TL;DR: Do I go Empire or Alliance?

For me … particularly with the Republic LS Commando:

One of the last lines in the offer that was made to him essentially suggested that he would be a part of the "rank and file" of the Republic … even with Odessen having a representation in the Senate. Soooo I chose to remain independent with that character.

The Smuggler was a little different (at least it seemed to be) … soooo We'll see how this turns out ! If the option was for Odessen to remain independent (regardless of who is running it … ) that might be good. That way for the Smuggler at least, he could step away if he so chose and the Alliance would still remain a separate entity !

But … I'm not the one doing the writing. I wish there was one more option … think about the offer ! And really get the chance to think about it !! But …. time will tell.

Over all I do like how this is being handled by the writers.

The other thing that bothered me, was that the choice to blow up the Silencers was considered a dark side choice. I think destroying a weapon that can take out entire starships with thousands of crew members, is probably worth a few lives planetside. It's not really a dark decision to me, it's more militarily sound and made sense. It sucks to be those people, but in taking out those weapons, I'm sure countless more lives were saved..

Few lives? Really? Is that what you tell yourself to make you feel better or did you really not understand the situation?

It was a massive indiscriminate bombardment of civilian targets. Go play Imp side, where they suggest that and your character can stop it. So not a "few lives", but more like "few thousands and more lives" Civilian lives versus lives of military.

Of course it's a DS choice.

Edited by Gelious

I enjoyed the story for the most part. I would have appreciated more moments with Theron, because there can never be enough Theron. ^^ I played it as a Dark Side V JK sympathizing with the Empire.

I liked Indigo the former Mandalorian, and it was a no-brainer to side with him. (Rodians always struck me as being shifty lol).

The worlds were beautiful and interesting, I only wish they were bigger and maybe a bit easier to navigate. There were a couple of places on Mek-Sha that were hard to navigate and it took me a little while to see where I needed to go in order to reach the ambush spot to kill the Rodian.

I do have one quibble, and that's that the story isn't very 'juicy' or 'kind' to a dark side Jedi Knight who sided with the Empire as a saboteur. There was only one flirt and no kiss and with him being angry at the end (that's two kisses missed out on), it left me feeling a bit cold and empty...so I rolled another JK to see how the other half live lol. I do hope in the future though, that the story will be a bit kinder romance wise to us darker souls. Maybe that's the point, but Theron love is like air! :D As it stands right now, only Lana is happy with a saboteur/DSImp/DSPub and I'm not interested in Lana. Sabateur/Dark side/Imp love is dwindling and it kind of sucks. I don't like Theron being mad at me lol.

The other thing that bothered me, was that the choice to blow up the Silencers was considered a dark side choice. I think destroying a weapon that can take out entire starships with thousands of crew members, is probably worth a few lives planetside. It's not really a dark decision to me, it's more militarily sound and made sense. It sucks to be those people, but in taking out those weapons, I'm sure countless more lives were saved.

Damn Malgus is like a roach. His death needs to stick.

I have to chuckle, with my 'help' I seem to be doing more damage to the Empire than actually helping them. It seems absurd that they would be so happy with my services.

Also the revelation of the 'boss' of NR-02 is a bit underwhelming...I had hoped for someone cooler like Vowrawn. In seeing that it's some no-name Sith I've never heard of that seems stuck in just because they needed someone in charge, makes me want to change sides.

I hope that in future stories, we'll get the chance to betray the Empire or act as a double or triple agent lol. It would make sense that a Jedi Knight on the dark side would pretend to go with the Empire in order to find out who is pulling the strings. That and I want to keep Theron's love lol.

I also enjoyed the Scourge/Kira story that came before the 2 minute 'romance' talk. I didn't get much out of the romance talk because I've only played the one knight that romances Theron. I'm grateful though, that we finally, all these years later get a Scourge romance. I have a knight for him too, just have to level her up a bit more.

It seems like Onslaught is the prelude to something bigger and I hope that's the case. Also, the music change after all this time was good, it's a bit jarring when you don't expect it, but it has grown on me.

So there are a few of my thoughts, if anyone cares.

Luna,

Regarding the silencers, yes it may seem like just a few lives being lost but from the dialogue that was going on with my Jedi Sage it was millions of lives (at least what I was getting out of it) and another thing is that when you do the imperial side when my dark side sorceress was doing it they said it would be millions of civilians that they would be bombing so if you put them both together in the context of the story, it seems to be more than just a few lives lost on Corellia and remember Corellia is a large planet so millions would be quite possible on a planet the size of Corellia.

Few lives? Really? Is that what you tell yourself to make you feel better or did you really not understand the situation?

It was a massive indiscriminate bombardment of civilian targets. Go play Imp side, where they suggest that and your character can stop it. So not a "few lives", but more like "few thousands and more lives" Civilian lives versus lives of military.

Somewhat strangely the Empire "saboteur" dialogue choice doesn't stop it. :( Now I know why Theron was mad at the end...

Yeaah I went ahead and refused Vowrawn's offer, maintaining my Alliance as its Commander. Being my own boss all this time, I just can't go back to working for the man. And, ya know, I have a feeling Vowrawn would eventually try to screw me anyway, so...

Recorded if anyone is interested:

I'm not that rotten of a person in real life that I need to do something like that to justify anything or to help myself sleep at night. I haven't played Imp side yet, I've only played through once on my JK, it's all I've had time for. The way it translated to me was that those Silencers could blow up entire capital ships, with require crew compliments of thousands to run properly (37 thousand actually according to this Wookiepedia article's example (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Capital_ship/Legends). To me, that's a lot of lives, and I'll admit, at the point of reaching that stage in the game, I'd been playing for several hours and it was already in the wee hours of the morning. It's entirely possible I somehow missed that it was 'millions' of lives planet side. I may come to feel differently once I've had a chance to play through the other angles/classes of the story.

Luna,

Regarding the silencers, yes it may seem like just a few lives being lost but from the dialogue that was going on with my Jedi Sage it was millions of lives (at least what I was getting out of it) and another thing is that when you do the imperial side when my dark side sorceress was doing it they said it would be millions of civilians that they would be bombing so if you put them both together in the context of the story, it seems to be more than just a few lives lost on Corellia and remember Corellia is a large planet so millions would be quite possible on a planet the size of Corellia.

Oh ok, well, I was playing my Knight and that's the only time through for me so I didn't get that it was millions of civilian lives lost. I haven't seen the other classes parts yet. I was tired by the time I reached that part on Corellia, so it's quite possible like I said to Gelious that I missed that part. I'll have to rewatch my fraps. I was under the impression it was a city (which is bad enough, I know) but faced with the choice of a city and compliments of however many ships in the fleet, the numbers for me at that time seemed to be in favor of saving the ships.

Edited by Lunafox

Somewhat strangely the Empire "saboteur" dialogue choice doesn't stop it. :( Now I know why Theron was mad at the end...

It makes more sense now too. I just didn't get that it was millions on the planet lost. I was kind of ticked off a bit, like, 'why are you so mad Theron? I blew up the Empire's weapons that would take out so many Republic ships/lives'.

Alliance VS Empire. I actually had to sleep on this one with my main SI. Then I went back and listened to the dialogue again. I had Acina as Empress and she said something like she will form a Hand that will report directly to her. The same Empress that sat on her...ahm..., signed a treaty with Zakuul, and was doing...what, exactly? While my main was out there, fighting Arcann, then Vaylin, then having Valkorion try to take over my body. For what? To listen to Acina's orders? Even when you meet the king of Onderon one of the dialogue options is "I rule my own planet, too". Ok, I get it. Alliance isn't as powerful as it used to be what with the members leaving but, in my opinion, still better to rule in Hell than serve in Haven.

I am Empire loyalist to the core and I would love to be a part of the Empire again. But I am not Darth Nox anymore and the idea of answering to someone who hasn't lifted a finger against Zakuul is just baffling. If we get the chance again to rejoin the Empire again, this time I would want it as an Empress.

They won't. This is to put a bow on it.

Do you have inside information? If so, please tell us.

SW these days is all about resurrecting long dead characters. Malgus, Sidious... I think one epic last chapter about how to make 100% sure that Tenebrae is gone for good and for all eternity would be cool. Who knows whether Valkorion isn't trapped in my char's brain just like the char was him-/herself? I never fully understood what happened in this mental chapter. And I don't want to take any risks. :p

As for Onslaught:

(Note: I didn't read through all the pages here, because I haven't finished the Corellia flashpoint on republic side yet. If my question has been answered already, please link the post.)

Do we have two different states of the galaxy now?

The republic version seems (so far) to indicate a completely different scenario as the imperial version.

If this is the case, is this a good idea? Seems very complicated to me.

I liked e. g. what they did with Makeb. At the end, it was one timeline for both sides. I think the game should continue being in one universe. They started on Iokath with having different versions, but now this seems to getting out of hand. Am I missing something?

Do you have inside information? If so, please tell us.

SW these days is all about resurrecting long dead characters. Malgus, Sidious... I think one epic last chapter about how to make 100% sure that Tenebrae is gone for good and for all eternity would be cool. Who knows whether Valkorion isn't trapped in my char's brain just like the char was him-/herself? I never fully understood what happened in this mental chapter. And I don't want to take any risks. :p

As for Onslaught:

(Note: I didn't read through all the pages here, because I haven't finished the Corellia flashpoint on republic side yet. If my question has been answered already, please link the post.)

Do we have two different states of the galaxy now?

The republic version seems (so far) to indicate a completely different scenario as the imperial version.

If this is the case, is this a good idea? Seems very complicated to me.

I liked e. g. what they did with Makeb. At the end, it was one timeline for both sides. I think the game should continue being in one universe. They started on Iokath with having different versions, but now this seems to getting out of hand. Am I missing something?

It's not really inside information. Charles said it himself I believe in one of the twitch streams.

I am so Psyched by the story I can't even begin to express it. I love the Saboteur storylines and my Knight

HAS KIRA BACK

I do wish we had more planet missions and more Companion interactions but I have hope BLOODY BRILLIANT JOB DEVS!:D

PS. Mr. Boyd you do have a Borg fetish.

Malgus did say you're resistance is impressive but futile.

Alliance VS Empire. I actually had to sleep on this one with my main SI. Then I went back and listened to the dialogue again. I had Acina as Empress and she said something like she will form a Hand that will report directly to her. The same Empress that sat on her...ahm..., signed a treaty with Zakuul, and was doing...what, exactly? While my main was out there, fighting Arcann, then Vaylin, then having Valkorion try to take over my body. For what? To listen to Acina's orders? Even when you meet the king of Onderon one of the dialogue options is "I rule my own planet, too". Ok, I get it. Alliance isn't as powerful as it used to be what with the members leaving but, in my opinion, still better to rule in Hell than serve in Haven.

I am Empire loyalist to the core and I would love to be a part of the Empire again. But I am not Darth Nox anymore and the idea of answering to someone who hasn't lifted a finger against Zakuul is just baffling. If we get the chance again to rejoin the Empire again, this time I would want it as an Empress.

To be fair, Acina did lift a finger vs Zakuul. She openly supported the Alliance at risk to her Empire. The Republic sure didn't.

To be fair, Acina did lift a finger vs Zakuul. She openly supported the Alliance at risk to her Empire. The Republic sure didn't.

And to be fair she also invaded Iokath and went against the agreement she had with the alliance as well. While my sorceress took her seat back that doesn't mean she is going to agree with everything. My sorceress already stepped on some feet in the story and will not hesitate to do it again and she remembers everything.

So far I've played through Onslaught with my LS Knight who has Theron romanced, and my 'gray' Warrior who's romancing Arcann.

Overall I found the quests and story plenty enjoyable. Onderon is absolutely gorgeous, I did take my time there to explore a bit. As a Jedi, I really enjoyed Lana's banter toward uh... cyber Padawan dude whose name I've forgotten... as well as Tau and with Gnost. I actually found all quips throughout the story very enjoyable, some really good one liners in there. That King dude is laughable, as are his cousins, woulda gladly left them in the dirt and handed Onderon back to the Untamed but oh well. :p Glad to have Jakarro and Deefour back, they crack me up.

Mek Sha is decent story-wise and I freaked with joy when the 'Mysterious' dude attacked my Knight on my very first playthrough because I instantly suspected who it was and, hell yeah. ♥ Not overly fond of the navigation on Mek Sha, gave me a bit of a runaround. Loved that my Sith Warrior got to flirt with Vowrawn though, I missed him and it was nice getting to work with him again, couldn't even fault him for scheming. Love Indigo as a simple quest NPC, he stood out way more than that bug guy and think his quest is more fun.

Corellia made me a little nostalgic and I like how they played with our character's history a bit. Only thing missing for me personally was Praven, that woulda been the cherry on top, especially with all these other throwbacks. On my Warrior I had a good laugh at Tharan's line about the 'other Theron' spelling the name the stupid way.

Cried on my Knight when on the fleet, post Corellia, Kira and Scourge walk into the scene even if I suspected it. It feels like I've waited for that moment for so long so finally seeing them again and reuniting meant the world to me. Absolutely loved the story that explains their absence and the trouble going on now with Satele and her Jedi, and seeing how every class gets that story from them it makes me hopeful for future content involving either or both of them. On my Warrior it was a thrill for the old and less-old Wrath to finally meet face to face and while it's taking some getting used to, I really enjoyed Scourge's banter. Couldn't lock his romance on that specific Jedi Knight because she's married to Theron but I already have another one who's about to start Onslaught so, yay.

Haven't tried Lana's flirts/romance but was very happy to flirt and kiss Theron after Corellia, and loved the look on his face and his tone of voice when you suggest skipping the party or something. I'd been worried we'd see less of Lana/Theron now with the new expansion so it was a relief to get this at all, and I like that they're still by our side.

I'm really happy so far. Also glad we had the option of keeping our Alliance since my Knight wasn't in the mood to 'serve' another Chancellor and my Warrior wasn't gonna play puppet to Acina. Seems the best option for now is to remain independent. Downside is the lack of LI interaction/letters if you have anyone other than Theron or Lana romanced, and aren't romancing the people who returned in this update.

That King dude is laughable

Yes, several of my favorite moments in the Imperial story came courtesy of this character. The deadpan sarcastic seeming-compliments of the mocking conversation options were wonderful. But what really broke me laughing was a sound effect. When I heard the clink-clink of the king's ornamental armour as he comes in "ready to fight," I just lost it. :D Whoever implemented that deserves a raise! :)

Yes, several of my favorite moments in the Imperial story came courtesy of this character. The deadpan sarcastic seeming-compliments of the mocking conversation options were wonderful. But what really broke me laughing was a sound effect. When I heard the clink-clink of the king's ornamental armour as he comes in "ready to fight," I just lost it. :D Whoever implemented that deserves a raise! :)

Yes! Dealing with him on an Imperial character and constantly mocking him is absolutely glorious, and I laughed so much when he came in with that armor! Was actually surprised he could even keep himself standing with that stuff on, he's a scrawny nothing, but it's a level of ridiculousness that I really enjoy woven in with all the other stuff.

And to be fair she also invaded Iokath and went against the agreement she had with the alliance as well. While my sorceress took her seat back that doesn't mean she is going to agree with everything. My sorceress already stepped on some feet in the story and will not hesitate to do it again and she remembers everything.

Didn't suggest that she hadn't done that? The person I was replying to said she hadn't done anything vs Zakuul, I was simply reminding them that she in fact had offered assistance. To Reps and Imps both. What she did afterwards wasn't relevant to what they were referring to

Haven't tried Lana's flirts/romance but was very happy to flirt and kiss Theron after Corellia, and loved the look on his face and his tone of voice when you suggest skipping the party or something. I'd been worried we'd see less of Lana/Theron now with the new expansion so it was a relief to get this at all, and I like that they're still by our side.

I'm really happy so far. Also glad we had the option of keeping our Alliance since my Knight wasn't in the mood to 'serve' another Chancellor and my Warrior wasn't gonna play puppet to Acina. Seems the best option for now is to remain independent. Downside is the lack of LI interaction/letters if you have anyone other than Theron or Lana romanced, and aren't romancing the people who returned in this update.

Maybe this is just me, but my SI romanced and married Lana but didn't have any flirt options or special interaction with her whatsoever? It wasn't a problem for me though, not like I haven't been treated to enough of Lana over the years, so it's hard to complain. She did say if I was skipping the party she would be too, though. But I don't know if that is something she says regardless of romance yet.

Maybe this is just me, but my SI romanced and married Lana but didn't have any flirt options or special interaction with her whatsoever? It wasn't a problem for me though, not like I haven't been treated to enough of Lana over the years, so it's hard to complain. She did say if I was skipping the party she would be too, though. But I don't know if that is something she says regardless of romance yet.

A friend of mine just said she didn't get any Lana flirt/kiss either. Loyal Imperial. Not sure if it's related to choices or what? I've seen videos of Republic characters getting their kiss but it seems, even if you do say you'll attend the party, Anri shows up for a chat before you ever get to party and Lana just walks off after giving you a little wave. It's odd. There are issues with Imperial Theron-romancers too.

That was strange... With Imp double agent I sabotaged the empire at every step. And yet Theron was incredibly angry in the end about some people, which I did not save. Then he left and proceed in the conversation as an invisible character. I mean... What?

That was strange... With Imp double agent I sabotaged the empire at every step. And yet Theron was incredibly angry in the end about some people, which I did not save. Then he left and proceed in the conversation as an invisible character. I mean... What?

Happened on my Warrior too, the disappearing yet I could still hear him huff in a distance?

Also seems the actual saboteur option screws you over since it doesn't actually save any of those people. In order to avoid Theron's anger you actually need to make the LS choice, not the sab choice. Bit messed up.

Happened on my Warrior too, the disappearing yet I could still hear him huff in a distance?

Also seems the actual saboteur option screws you over since it doesn't actually save any of those people. In order to avoid Theron's anger you actually need to make the LS choice, not the sab choice. Bit messed up.

What LS choice? Where?

P. S. I see more people had the same issue. I guess it was a bug. He does know, that Im a saboteur. I tried to save rep. lives at every step... The rep. agent is also incredibly happy with my results... I really dont understand it. Well.. If its not a bug. Btw my agent is romancing him.

Edited by Lukas_H

What LS choice? Where?

The one about targeting Corellia. You can successfully divert the strikes away from civilians if you choose the LS option, regardless of saboteur status. Saboteur option in that conversation is not actually the best at saving lives. It's the one time during my saboteur run that I didn't choose the saboteur option.

I can understand people being annoyed. But, at the same time, it makes an amount of sense. In the LS branch, in response to the PC's outrage at civilians being targeted, the Empress or Emperor comments that the Republic has plenty of civilians, and would actually be hit harder logistically with strikes to supplies and infrastructure. And that's what they go on to do. Depending on your viewpoint, it could be better for the Republic as a whole to go with the saboteur branch. I personally don't think so. I think the most valuable "resources," if I must use such distasteful language, will always be people. Buildings can be built again, but every single person is unique and irreplaceable. But I can see how some people might argue otherwise. Theron just clearly isn't one of them.

Edited by Estelindis