Bug hunt XP Nerf?

Ordealis

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the appeal of these groups.

Especially when you can complete multiple things while doing them.

Double XP - fast level to 70

Balmorra Rampage this week

Newly added conquest points per kill

I did the heroic in that area last night and even outside of the group that was there, it was fairly easy to get my 15 kills for the bonus mission.

That being said, rather than nerf the xp, they should make every heroic an instance.

There are several with crazy long respawn timers on mobs that should be instances.

There are several with long respawn timers on clickies.

I've just never been a fan of large groups farming mobs in "mission" zones. Heroics, class story, planet chain quests...

I've done it on a few occasions....but I always switched to an ops group and invited everyone who wanders by so they could complete whatever they needed to do.

With the XP/Conquest addition....no one will NEED to farm rampage to get their points again.

asap? do you have any idea how long the bug hunt has been a thing?

non-ping lag is a much bigger deal than people levelling faster, at least for me.

Bug hunt has been a well known thing for years, and a time honored tradition for leveling during 2xp. The asap part referred to the new conquest points that are given based on xp. That went into effect on Tuesday, and was "fixed" the next day. If that does not meet your definition of asap then ok, but in my opinion, they did this much faster than they do when addressing game play issues like those being addressed in this thread.

The bug hunt exp gained do not need to be fixed only the extra conquest points per kills need to be nerf! we need bug hunt during double exp to level our alts! It have always being the case.

Its easy and fast to level alts even without an exploit. Try it sometime.

It's not an exploit to group up with people and utilize a quick respawn rate in a non-instanced heroic area. :rolleyes:

Poor design perhaps.

It's not like it's hard to level in this game.

In 3-ish hours during 2XP? If you know a better spot, send me a PM. I need another 70 on DM and one on SS.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

And such was my point by mentioning that nerfing the bug hunt really wasn't an asap sort of deal.

I wasn't trying to crap on you. I just wanted to highlight the "time honored" bug hunt tradition.

RIP

Bug Hunt Groups

June 2019

A fun way for the dev team to handle Bug Hunt groups would have been to somehow trigger a spawn/summon of like 25 Queens to put down the player exterminators in the colicoid tunnels.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

In 3-ish hours during 2XP? If you know a better spot, send me a PM. I need another 70 on DM and one on SS.

I'm not saying there's a faster way. I'm saying it doesn't need to be that fast. During 2x I can get a toon to 70 in a few days. Compared to launch when it took months to get to 50, though the locusts did it in weeks. Even when it's 1x you can get to 70 in a couple weeks if you try hard enough. I'm sure real tryhards can do it even faster.

Edited by kodrac

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted, but wanted to jump in and say yep, we've known about this area and had planned to fix it with the expansion.

We typically don't include these types of changes in Patch Notes...

Problem #1 - Yes, we've known about this area (and said nothing about changing it) and had planned to fix it with the expansion (without telling you we planned to do so, or that it had intentionally been changed).

Remember a few months ago, when Eric and Dan were telling everyone how much better, frequent, and open the communication was going to be between your team and the players? FAIL. It really doesn't matter to me that this change was made; it matters that the team did nothing about it until now, then made the changes without informing players in advance or after the changes were made. If this thread had never been posted, would you have said anything at all?

Problem #2 - We typically don't include these types of changes in the Patch Notes...WHY NOT?! It's a change worth noting, is it not? Not sure you've collected data on how many players have used the "Bug Hunt" during double XP to level up fast, but it sure seemed like common knowledge and a relatively popular activity. What possible reason would you have to exclude information like this from notes which have the sole purpose of informing your player base on the changes you've made to the game?!

We typically don't include these types of changes in Patch Notes, but tbh, this snuck out with 5.10.3a. Since it's now effectively rolled out, we'll keep it in (...)

It "snuck out"? What does that even mean here? :confused::confused::confused:

I never did this, as I always interpreted this as essentially skipping the leveling process by mass killing things in 1 spot?

If that's the case...

How can anyone possibly think this is good for the integrity of the game world? BioWare did a great thing here. People need to utilize the in game systems: WZ's, FP's, & missions to level to allow quicker queue times and a chance for players to actually socialize and group.

You guys outta wipe out everything that players exploit. Stuff like this makes new players lose faith and doesn't help bring people to the game. And we don't need an explanation. Just do it, ignore these other people that don't have half a sense as to how bad something like this is in the grand scheme of things.

Is it an exploit if it's standard game mechanics being used by a group of players? Do this activity = this much xp, doesn't sound like an exploit at all.

I get that it circumvents the story leveling process, but after doing full story on all classes both factions, and a few more just for the hell of it, I have zero desire to spacebarspam my way through more. I'm looking for alts to keep me engaged in endgame content.

Bughunt is an occasional thing that most new players wouldn't know about, is used mostly by veteran players looking to get more alts to enjoy endgame content. More alts means more time que-ing for content we like. It's obviously the devs choice to 'retune' how this area gives xp, but I for one hope they tune it back up a bit.

I might be cynical, but the argument that devs hope this encourages players to buy $18 insta-70 consumables at least makes sense from a biz perspective.

Hey all,

It's been a while since I posted, but wanted to jump in and say yep, we've known about this area and had planned to fix it with the expansion.

We typically don't include these types of changes in Patch Notes, but tbh, this snuck out with 5.10.3a. Since it's now effectively rolled out, we'll keep it in and will update the /slap message you're receiving when you are killing the poor bugs. What you are seeing isn't the final change, so we'll make additional adjustments in upcoming patches.

Speaking of patches, we have a mid-summer update including the Nar Shaddaa Nightlife event (with new rewards) coming out soon. Most of the team is focused on the expansion and of course, what follows in the winter.

See some of you at the Cantina in San Diego next month!

Keith---

ps...I'm seeing double XP and double CXP in-game on my toons, so you might want to check again. It's typically visible on your experience/CXP bar on your UI.

When game has too many bugs that needs attentiton and you claim you dont have time and resourses to fix them and you have time to fix these kind of things that give a small boost to players.

asap? do you have any idea how long the bug hunt has been a thing?

non-ping lag is a much bigger deal than people levelling faster, at least for me.

Much less than most of the bugs in this game.

When game has too many bugs that needs attentiton and you claim you dont have time and resourses to fix them and you have time to fix these kind of things that give a small boost to players.

This ^^

So many more important things and bugs that need fixing before even looking at this.

The only reason to fix this now were the two reasons I posted earlier. Not that I agree with either one. But you can see the Biowarelogic from their point of view. More money for the game from instant 70 tokens and less content needed for new people before the expansion. (I think they forget that most people still playing aren’t new)

Is it an exploit if it's standard game mechanics being used by a group of players? Do this activity = this much xp, doesn't sound like an exploit at all.

I get that it circumvents the story leveling process, but after doing full story on all classes both factions, and a few more just for the hell of it, I have zero desire to spacebarspam my way through more. I'm looking for alts to keep me engaged in endgame content.

Bughunt is an occasional thing that most new players wouldn't know about, is used mostly by veteran players looking to get more alts to enjoy endgame content. More alts means more time que-ing for content we like. It's obviously the devs choice to 'retune' how this area gives xp, but I for one hope they tune it back up a bit.

I might be cynical, but the argument that devs hope this encourages players to buy $18 insta-70 consumables at least makes sense from a biz perspective.

It makes no sense from a DESIGN perspective. If the game was designed in a way where you could do this 'grind' type of leveling anywhere, then sure- it would make sense. This type of leveling isn't old either(this is how you do it in EQ). I would even prefer this type of leveling if the entire galaxy was converted to allow grind leveling this way. But unfortunately, it's not. This game has a leveling system more similar to WoW, and as such, you detract from that system by exploiting areas that were not designed for this sort of gameplay.

And btw. Grind leveling is much more fun when the mobs are actually hard. They are a joke in this game.

It makes no sense from a DESIGN perspective. If the game was designed in a way where you could do this 'grind' type of leveling anywhere, then sure- it would make sense. This type of leveling isn't old either(this is how you do it in EQ). I would even prefer this type of leveling if the entire galaxy was converted to allow grind leveling this way. But unfortunately, it's not. This game has a leveling system more similar to WoW, and as such, you detract from that system by exploiting areas that were not designed for this sort of gameplay.

And btw. Grind leveling is much more fun when the mobs are actually hard. They are a joke in this game.

SWTOR does not have a "leveling system" any more. If you want to do the story missions, it is almost hard not to over level doing that, but it doesn't matter since over leveling doesn't mean much with level sync. You could just as easily argue that people doing PVP exclusively, or re-running the same FPs over and over is just as bad/broken/counter to the "leveling system"...

There are so many ways to shortcut/circumvent the leveling system, nerfing this one way seems pointless... Especially during a double xp event that is specifically designed to speed up leveling...

I'm ok with them nerfing BH/IMP hunts, what i did not like was them doing it the ninja way, at least let us know BEFORE you do it and why, some people usually make plans for 2x events and doing that ruins the game for them.

And latelly we've been getting INSANE lag with ok ping, that's super wierd and makes the game unplayable, 2~3 sec per skill is WRONG even if you connect from Pluto, it was never like this, wth happened now?