Bug hunt XP Nerf?

Ordealis

I never did this, as I always interpreted this as essentially skipping the leveling process by mass killing things in 1 spot?

If that's the case...

How can anyone possibly think this is good for the integrity of the game world? BioWare did a great thing here. People need to utilize the in game systems: WZ's, FP's, & missions to level to allow quicker queue times and a chance for players to actually socialize and group.

You guys outta wipe out everything that players exploit. Stuff like this makes new players lose faith and doesn't help bring people to the game. And we don't need an explanation. Just do it, ignore these other people that don't have half a sense as to how bad something like this is in the grand scheme of things.

It is NOT an exploit in any way, shape, or form. Keith makes an obvious damage-control post, and you're here posting untruths. Just because you don't level this way during doublexp, doesn't mean it's "bad" or "wrong" or an exploit.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are all missing the point. Since they tied Conquest Points to XP this COULD NOT CONTINUE. It was kinda lame that people took such severe advantage of it in the first place, but I would not classify it as an "exploit". You want a level 70 in under 3 hours? Buy a Master's Datacron.

You guys have been abusing the bug hunt for all it's worth for 3 years now, first to quickly level CXP while not really having to play the game, then to level up alts during 2x XP weeks, and now I'm certain people were likely planning on abusing the heck out of it for conquest points. Massive groups of people farming this while virtually AFK instead of actually playing the game... it's no surprise they changed the ability to do that.

The reason it got priority? Look no further than the addition of the Conquest Points per kill. He is probably being semi-truthful when he said that it was originally planned for 6.0, but the "semi" part comes in when they realized they couldn't wait that long due to the amount of Conquest Points it was generating and they pulled the trigger early.

Edited to add: Although it is also possible that it "snuck into" the patch to fix the conquest window bug, because it isn't the first time they have built things into a patch version that they weren't planning on releasing. Remember the "new" set bonuses that made it onto live before they were ready? They are sloppy sometimes, and that might be what happened here too... but I doubt it. I think they knew they couldn't let the conquest points become yet another reason people were doing nothing but sitting on Balmorra.

Yes, there are a lot of bugs in the game that need fixing (including the HORRIFIC lag they introduced with this conquest points per kill shenanigans). But if you haven't learned by now that they fix things more quickly if it gives an advantage to the player base in some way that they don't want you to have - then I don't know what to tell you.

This comes as no surprise to me, and honestly I am glad to see it changed. You want a short cut to a level 70 character, buy a MD token. Or... level up in a matter of days instead of a matter of hours. I'm not sure you have any right to really complain though. You had it easier than you should have for 3 years. Take some solace in that fact as you cry in your Cheerios about how you actually have to put a little more effort into leveling now (but not much more, mind you... leveling in this game is DEAD EASY).

Edited by PennyAnn

You guys are all missing the point. Since they tied Conquest Points to XP this COULD NOT CONTINUE. It was kinda lame that people took such severe advantage of it in the first place, but I would not classify it as an "exploit". You want a level 70 in under 3 hours? Buy a Master's Datacron.

You guys have been abusing the bug hunt for all it's worth for 3 years now, first to quickly level CXP while not really having to play the game, then to level up alts during 2x XP weeks, and now I'm certain people were likely planning on abusing the heck out of it for conquest points. Massive groups of people farming this while virtually AFK instead of actually playing the game... it's no surprise they changed the ability to do that.

The reason it got priority? Look no further than the addition of the Conquest Points per kill. He is probably being semi-truthful when he said that it was originally planned for 6.0, but the "semi" part comes in when they realized they couldn't wait that long due to the amount of Conquest Points it was generating and they pulled the trigger early.

Edited to add: Although it is also possible that it "snuck into" the patch to fix the conquest window bug, because it isn't the first time they have built things into a patch version that they weren't planning on releasing. Remember the "new" set bonuses that made it onto live before they were ready? They are sloppy sometimes, and that might be what happened here too... but I doubt it. I think they knew they couldn't let the conquest points become yet another reason people were doing nothing but sitting on Balmorra.

Yes, there are a lot of bugs in the game that need fixing (including the HORRIFIC lag they introduced with this conquest points per kill shenanigans). But if you haven't learned by now that they fix things more quickly if it gives an advantage to the player base in some way that they don't want you to have - then I don't know what to tell you.

This comes as no surprise to me, and honestly I am glad to see it changed. You want a short cut to a level 70 character, buy a MD token. Or... level up in a matter of days instead of a matter of hours. I'm not sure you have any right to really complain though. You had it easier than you should have for 3 years. Take some solace in that fact as you cry in your Cheerios about how you actually have to put a little more effort into leveling now (but not much more, mind you... leveling in this game is DEAD EASY).

boohoo. Us raiders want to raid on new toons and this made it easy. Conquest whiners screwed that.

two other ways it could have been done:

1: turn the Bug Hunt area into a phase (yes I know this would have been hard for the imp hunt on Nar Shaddaa) but this would have fixed other issues with "A Question of Motivation"

2: instead of tying conquest points to standard xp have it earned at the same rate as Command XP

Edited by mad-macs
naming the mission asociated with an area

Good post.

Again, I totally get that EA/Bioware would rather have us spend $18 for a shortcut to 70.

As a subscriber I consider it too expensive. Now that bughunt is nerfed maybe 70 tokens will sell more.

I don't want to @#$% on anyone's play style, one of the wonderful things about this game is there are lots of ways to enjoy it. But for someone like me with a lot of alts, only playing endgame content, and literally :rak_03:ZERO:rak_03: interest in story leveling content I've done over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again (yup that's 10x), I just want alts at 70 so I can toss on my legacy 258 gear and raid more and play different classes & builds. It's what keeps me playing.

For people who enjoy story leveling and heroics, I get it, bug hunt is stupid. And maybe it's a moot point and now I'll have to shell out $18 if I want to avoid days of leveling, but I personally think the XP should stay high, just nerf the cq points in that area and everyone's happy.

So you don't level this way, then kindly remove yourself from the conversation. Not sure why you are calling those of us that are pissed off at the ninja nerf cryers -- after 3 years with absolutely nothing in the patch notes, nor any forewarning -- for something that isn't an exploit. :rolleyes: And why would I want to buy a MD on my 54th toon during double xp? Double xp is kind of the point, no?

Dear BW, I'm very sorry that I have DVL armor and use xp buffs during your doublexp event. I'm also very sorry that I would rather mindlessly kill bugs for a couple of hours instead of slogging through one of the same 8 stories for the millionth time because you haven't added any new classes, class stories, specs, nor subclasses in 8 years. /sarcasm

As for Conquest xp, I don't really care. It's still giving way too much, and still needs to be fixed. I got 30k conquests points doing DF the other day.

Addendum: It's posts like yours that keep this topic alive. Had you and others let us vent, this whole thread might have ended 5 pages ago. But you feel the need to poke your head in and call people whiners. :rak_02: Keep posting to bring this thread to the top again, please.

Problem #1 - Yes, we've known about this area (and said nothing about changing it) and had planned to fix it with the expansion (without telling you we planned to do so, or that it had intentionally been changed).

Remember a few months ago, when Eric and Dan were telling everyone how much better, frequent, and open the communication was going to be between your team and the players? FAIL. It really doesn't matter to me that this change was made; it matters that the team did nothing about it until now, then made the changes without informing players in advance or after the changes were made. If this thread had never been posted, would you have said anything at all?

Problem #2 - We typically don't include these types of changes in the Patch Notes...WHY NOT?! It's a change worth noting, is it not? Not sure you've collected data on how many players have used the "Bug Hunt" during double XP to level up fast, but it sure seemed like common knowledge and a relatively popular activity. What possible reason would you have to exclude information like this from notes which have the sole purpose of informing your player base on the changes you've made to the game?!

Uhhh. Sounds like pretty standard communication to me:

-we found a part of the game that is unintended

-we fixed the unintended issue

There is no need to communicate the change in advance, as it likely wouldve resulted in more people using the unintended feature before its removal. As far as them not communicating it prior to this thread, thats not true. They notified everyone with the actual, obvious change in game.

It's not an exploit to group up with people and utilize a quick respawn rate in a non-instanced heroic area. :rolleyes:

Poor design perhaps.

In 3-ish hours during 2XP? If you know a better spot, send me a PM. I need another 70 on DM and one on SS.

If its just poor game design, as you claim it to be, then they have every right to make it good game design by fixing it.

If its just poor game design, as you claim it to be, then they have every right to make it good game design by fixing it.

*area design

And only if it was unintended. I don't know what the original designers intended with that area, and likely, the current devs don't either.

However, it seems likely this was an unforeseen consequence of making all H4's into H2's, the multiplicative xp bonus effects of grouping with other players, and an incredibly fast mob respawn rate.

But again, it was an unnecessary ninja nerf, which is what we are upset about. I hope they thought to nerf all the other original non-instanced H4's (or not actually). There's a certain area on Nar Shadaa that we also use to farm xp. :p

*area design

And only if it was unintended. I have no idea what the original designers intended with that area, and likely, the current devs don't either.

Considering the old devs are no longer here, it doesnt matter what they intended.

Considering the new devs changed it, its obvious what they intended.

Considering the old devs are no longer here, it doesnt matter what they intended.

Considering the new devs changed it, its obvious what they intended.

What would that be? To be a killjoy? To upset people with another ninja nerf? Or to force people to buy $18 MD's? Something else?

boohoo. Us raiders want to raid on new toons and this made it easy. Conquest whiners screwed that.

It's still easy. Or instant... if you buy a Master's Datacron. And it was the developers that changed this, not the "Conquest whiners". But you are a fantastic example of the pot calling out an imaginary kettle for it's color. I'm also pretty sure "us raiders" would appreciate you not being any kind of spokesperson as well. Calling others "whiners" when it is YOU that is doing the complaining is pretty amusing, but does not make for great spokesperson material.

So you don't level this way, then kindly remove yourself from the conversation. Not sure why you are calling those of us that are pissed off at the ninja nerf cryers -- after 3 years with absolutely nothing in the patch notes, nor any forewarning -- for something that isn't an exploit. :rolleyes: And why would I want to buy a MD on my 54th toon during double xp? Double xp is kind of the point, no?

Dear BW, I'm very sorry that I have DVL armor and use xp buffs during your doublexp event. I'm also very sorry that I would rather mindlessly kill bugs for a couple of hours instead of slogging through one of the same 8 stories for the millionth time because you haven't added any new classes, class stories, specs, nor subclasses in 8 years. /sarcasm

As for Conquest xp, I don't really care. It's still giving way too much, and still needs to be fixed. I got 30k conquests points doing DF the other day.

Addendum: It's posts like yours that keep this topic alive. Had you and others let us vent, this whole thread might have ended 5 pages ago. But you feel the need to poke your head in and call people whiners. :rak_02: Keep posting to bring this thread to the top again, please.

There wasn't anything in the patch notes because it wasn't supposed to go out yet, but Keith posted himself about it on the forums explaining what happened and why. Even if they HAD put it in patch notes, you wouldn't have read about it until right before but instead got a heads up from the Lead Producer himself. "Ninja nerf" would have had to equate to silence from them for me to agree with you about that one. I do agree that double experience events are to assist you in leveling faster (in an already incredibly fast system), but the change wasn't made because you were leveling too fast. I feel like I've already pointed that out though, so I won't repeat what I said before.

I would however like to point out that you can absolutely STILL stand there and mindlessly kill bugs to level up. It will take you days instead of hours, but it's still the only MMO out there where you can go from level 1 to end game in a matter of days without playing 24/7. You can also do a host of other content besides just the class stories, but you know that if you have 54 characters and I suspect were just taking the opportunity to have another swipe at the developers that you are mad at because they made it slightly (but not much) harder to level your 55th character.

You may not care about conquest points and it being fair, but they obviously do and that's quite likely the reason they fixed this and will continue to fix things that will have people in an uproar all over the forums until it is more balanced. And that is why I posted my response. Not to call you whiners (though you are being kinda whiny about it), but rather because no one was talking about what I suspect is the REAL reason it got changed, and got fixed quickly.

Could they be better at communicating these changes? Yes. But I feel like in this instance, the lead producer's message in the thread within 24 hours of the change happening is pretty sufficient. It isn't always that way, but this time it's not so "ninja".

Could they be better at fixing ALL bugs and not just those that give players some advantage? Absolutely yes. But in many ways, this code and this engine work against them and the people they have left running the show.

I'm all for calling out Bioware when they do something that deserves it. I'm just not sure this is it when there are still so many options to level extremely quickly (and more quickly than in any other game). You absolutely have the right to point out your displeasure, just as I have the right to tell you when you are missing the point.

It isn't some tin foil hat thing where they want to force you to buy a Master's Datacron, it's much more reasonable to look at the actual reason this is happening and understand why. It will likely have the benefit of people buying a Master's Datacron more often, but that isn't really even necessary as it will still only take you a few days to level in full. There is still candy out there mate, I'm sorry it isn't your favorite flavor... but it's there when you are done grousing over this.

Addendum:

What would that be? To be a killjoy? To upset people with another ninja nerf? Or to force people to buy $18 MD's? Something else?

Because they had to fix conquest point accumulation now that it is tied to XP. I know you are upset about this, but seriously? Typically I find your posts to be more even-handed, especially when the "something else" is pointed out. I'm not trying to be a shill, I honestly pointed out why I feel they had to make this change to try and assuage your anger over it. I guess I failed at that, but hopefully you will eventually come to see that it couldn't continue that way with this new system and that you can still level up faster than anywhere else in the gaming world without having to spend a dime.

Edited by PennyAnn

It's funny, where, in a game where you can level to cap in a couple of days of some dedicated FPs, even in solo mode, that we're reading all about how a group area's nerf is killing the leveling. It's so ironic, in fact, that it leaves me believing it's more about "I can't get carried to cap, and may have to get some gear to level" than anything else.

"But they want us to buy the MDs" is sort of buried in the fact that just running the story gives you free XP boosts. So many in fact that I tend to just have one running all the time, whether I'm doing anything besides loitering in my SH or ship, rather than actually doing anything. I can get enough from my mail and doing the starter world that if I started running one and started doing SM FPs, I could get to 50 in an hour/hour and a half or so. That leaves me with at least a half hour on the first one, and I know I can have at least 2. So 70 seems pretty easy, unless I'm relying on being carried to 70 by a group?

It's funny, where, in a game where you can level to cap in a couple of days of some dedicated FPs, even in solo mode, that we're reading all about how a group area's nerf is killing the leveling. It's so ironic, in fact, that it leaves me believing it's more about "I can't get carried to cap, and may have to get some gear to level" than anything else.

"But they want us to buy the MDs" is sort of buried in the fact that just running the story gives you free XP boosts. So many in fact that I tend to just have one running all the time, whether I'm doing anything besides loitering in my SH or ship, rather than actually doing anything. I can get enough from my mail and doing the starter world that if I started running one and started doing SM FPs, I could get to 50 in an hour/hour and a half or so. That leaves me with at least a half hour on the first one, and I know I can have at least 2. So 70 seems pretty easy, unless I'm relying on being carried to 70 by a group?

They essentially nerfed all the old non-instanced Heroic 4's so that you can't group up past 8 people now. It's not about carrying people, but that XP is multiplicative the larger the group. These huge 24-man groups also mean you can kill the enemies faster than they can respawn. So in effect, it is an endless stream of XP, increased by the double xp event, xp boosts, and dvl armor.

It's actually kind of funny that they nerfed GROUPING UP with other players. I have even seen guilds recruiting from Bug Hunt groups. But now the only other time you'll find a 24-man group is to kill the Ossus WB's. Bug Hunt and Imp Hunt were actually kind of fun and mindless (for the first 30-45 mins at least): no loading screens, no phases, no quests, no mounts needed, no NPC's to talk to, etc.

Had the devs actually waited til 6.0 to nerf grouping, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye because we would have been too busy with new content. I still don't get why CXP gain % isn't reduced by group side rather than.... whatever this nerf is. I guess we'll never know, or will have to wait til 6.0 to understand it.

It's still easy. Or instant... if you buy a Master's Datacron. And it was the developers that changed this, not the "Conquest whiners". But you are a fantastic example of the pot calling out an imaginary kettle for it's color. I'm also pretty sure "us raiders" would appreciate you not being any kind of spokesperson as well. Calling others "whiners" when it is YOU that is doing the complaining is pretty amusing, but does not make for great spokesperson material.

There wasn't anything in the patch notes because it wasn't supposed to go out yet, but Keith posted himself about it on the forums explaining what happened and why. Even if they HAD put it in patch notes, you wouldn't have read about it until right before but instead got a heads up from the Lead Producer himself. "Ninja nerf" would have had to equate to silence from them for me to agree with you about that one. I do agree that double experience events are to assist you in leveling faster (in an already incredibly fast system), but the change wasn't made because you were leveling too fast. I feel like I've already pointed that out though, so I won't repeat what I said before.

I would however like to point out that you can absolutely STILL stand there and mindlessly kill bugs to level up. It will take you days instead of hours, but it's still the only MMO out there where you can go from level 1 to end game in a matter of days without playing 24/7. You can also do a host of other content besides just the class stories, but you know that if you have 54 characters and I suspect were just taking the opportunity to have another swipe at the developers that you are mad at because they made it slightly (but not much) harder to level your 55th character.

You may not care about conquest points and it being fair, but they obviously do and that's quite likely the reason they fixed this and will continue to fix things that will have people in an uproar all over the forums until it is more balanced. And that is why I posted my response. Not to call you whiners (though you are being kinda whiny about it), but rather because no one was talking about what I suspect is the REAL reason it got changed, and got fixed quickly.

Could they be better at communicating these changes? Yes. But I feel like in this instance, the lead producer's message in the thread within 24 hours of the change happening is pretty sufficient. It isn't always that way, but this time it's not so "ninja".

Could they be better at fixing ALL bugs and not just those that give players some advantage? Absolutely yes. But in many ways, this code and this engine work against them and the people they have left running the show.

I'm all for calling out Bioware when they do something that deserves it. I'm just not sure this is it when there are still so many options to level extremely quickly (and more quickly than in any other game). You absolutely have the right to point out your displeasure, just as I have the right to tell you when you are missing the point.

It isn't some tin foil hat thing where they want to force you to buy a Master's Datacron, it's much more reasonable to look at the actual reason this is happening and understand why. It will likely have the benefit of people buying a Master's Datacron more often, but that isn't really even necessary as it will still only take you a few days to level in full. There is still candy out there mate, I'm sorry it isn't your favorite flavor... but it's there when you are done grousing over this.

Addendum:

Because they had to fix conquest point accumulation now that it is tied to XP. I know you are upset about this, but seriously? Typically I find your posts to be more even-handed, especially when the "something else" is pointed out. I'm not trying to be a shill, I honestly pointed out why I feel they had to make this change to try and assuage your anger over it. I guess I failed at that, but hopefully you will eventually come to see that it couldn't continue that way with this new system and that you can still level up faster than anywhere else in the gaming world without having to spend a dime.

Pretty sure you quit the game over Conquest being too difficult which is sad. RIP Blood Bads and Beyond

There's a certain area on Nar Shadaa that we also use to farm xp. :p

Please tell me they didn’t nerf it too?

Anyone know of another Imp one some where?

Also, if you are high enough, the bug hunt on Alderaan at the 4 man heroic and outside it have tonnes of gold star bugs that respawn in fast enough that you can run a circle.

Lets look at this with a bigger picture. Many of us have already completed our class stories a long long time ago. This game is suppose to be alt friendly as it should encourage players to try advanced classes right? Since there are 8 classes, they are also 16 advanced classes to play. Bug hunt experience allows us to quickly level our alts to 70 under 3 hours, we don't want to do the repetitive same stories again. Our purpose to level 70 is to play level 70 content such as pvp / ops straight away. Many of us don't have the luxury of time to slowly level each alt to 70. Please consider to return us back the bug hunt experience. Don't ask us to buy 16 master datacrons, because it is just ridiculous.

Lets look at this with a bigger picture. Many of us have already completed our class stories a long long time ago. This game is suppose to be alt friendly as it should encourage players to try advanced classes right? Since there are 8 classes, they are also 16 advanced classes to play. Bug hunt experience allows us to quickly level our alts to 70 under 3 hours, we don't want to do the repetitive same stories again. Our purpose to level 70 is to play level 70 content such as pvp / ops straight away. Many of us don't have the luxury of time to slowly level each alt to 70. Please consider to return us back the bug hunt experience. Don't ask us to buy 16 master datacrons, because it is just ridiculous.

It still does allow what you're saying it did before.

Edited by olagatonjedi

They essentially nerfed all the old non-instanced Heroic 4's so that you can't group up past 8 people now. It's not about carrying people, but that XP is multiplicative the larger the group. These huge 24-man groups also mean you can kill the enemies faster than they can respawn. So in effect, it is an endless stream of XP, increased by the double xp event, xp boosts, and dvl armor.

It's actually kind of funny that they nerfed GROUPING UP with other players. I have even seen guilds recruiting from Bug Hunt groups. But now the only other time you'll find a 24-man group is to kill the Ossus WB's. Bug Hunt and Imp Hunt were actually kind of fun and mindless (for the first 30-45 mins at least): no loading screens, no phases, no quests, no mounts needed, no NPC's to talk to, etc.

Had the devs actually waited til 6.0 to nerf grouping, I doubt anyone would have batted an eye because we would have been too busy with new content. I still don't get why CXP gain % isn't reduced by group side rather than.... whatever this nerf is. I guess we'll never know, or will have to wait til 6.0 to understand it.

Irony? I can kill them faster than they respawn solo, on a healer spec'd sage, I didn't know people had a problem with that? "But the group xp bonuis". Yeah, that's a thing, but how's that not being carried? Is everyone taking a break every 10 or so levels to upgrade gear, or are ya'll "runnin' what ya' brung" until you cap out?

Nicely put and all true! :)

Irony? I can kill them faster than they respawn solo, on a healer spec'd sage, I didn't know people had a problem with that? "But the group xp bonuis". Yeah, that's a thing, but how's that not being carried? Is everyone taking a break every 10 or so levels to upgrade gear, or are ya'll "runnin' what ya' brung" until you cap out?

No no, there are 6 group mobs of champion level bugs in one room, plus the group you can drag into the room, and the Queen respawns periodically as well.

Please tell me they didn’t nerf it too?

Anyone know of another Imp one some where?

Also, if you are high enough, the bug hunt on Alderaan at the 4 man heroic and outside it have tonnes of gold star bugs that respawn in fast enough that you can run a circle.

They nerfed grouping and killing the same enemies over and over, so I imagine Imp Hunt is nerfed as well. At least, there weren't any groups when I asked.