Tank Balance Changes in Game Update 5.9

EricMusco

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This does not help at all. In PvP, even if you reduce the damage that tanks do, it will STILL be better to gear a tank in dps gear than to have proper tanking gear. The problem is that tanking gear doesn't do much, your shield/defense is fairly worthless so all a tank is, is basically a gimped dps. It doesn't matter if you are reducing the overall damage that tanks do, as it will even out from both sides.

Meanwhile, this negatively impacts PvE, because now you are cutting into the overall damage that an OPs group will do.

This is just an example of another knee jerk change done because of PvP that is only going to end up affecting PvE. This change is not going to affect PvP at all, on the other hand, it's just going to cause problems in PvE.

A better solution would be to actually change how tanks work overall in PvP. Make our shield/defense mean something. Or just give us a 'reverse bolster' that reduces the power or other stats in PvP only (if you queue as tank).

Edited by Akushii

How are you planning to offset these changes for PvE Eric? Will you be boosting DPS players damage for PvE since you're cutting tanks so much?

Tanks already sucked for leveling...this destroys them.

i guess the new augments will prolly carry this loss of dps. ofc we are tqalking about more grind, and the issue is: when did the new 236 augments came out?6months?

no, this wasnt well planeed.

nerfing classes, then new augments, now nerfing tanks, then more augments.meh

k, you're obviously just baiting me now. Go get tunneled by a team of competent DPS in a Warzone and see how long you live. Putting you on ignore now.

Man getting triggered by the stupidity of your comments I haven't even mentioned the 30% DR while stunned tanks get. The sad part about this is you actually think I'm trolling you. I guarantee there are no 4 man operatives that can global a jugg tank in 3 secs as you have suggested. You whimsical evidence has been pathetic, please admit you were grossly exaggerating when you made your claim.

Add my voice to the chorus of people who don't think this actually fixes the problem. If tanking stats were more useful in pvp, then there would not be a compelling reason to wear dps gear. Since threat generation means nothing in pvp, won't these nerfs actually promote more skank tanks?

I have a single question for game developers. Do you realize, that non-skank tanks are worse @ PvP as of now, your change does NOTHING to address that fact, and, on the contrary, makes non-skanks borderline unplayable in PvP?

So im one of the endgame PvE tanks using proper tank gear ... and i cant even start saying how disappointed i am about this. I worked really hard to be a decent tank and to support my team. I love playing tanks cause it has a good feel and balance to it - and i dint feel i have to much damage output. I have some, but its not near to a DPS build..

I like to feel useful and meaningful in my role. But with this nerf now ... . I mean, why am i degraded to a target dummy? Now i cant even support the DPS when its needed in a weaker OPS team or take out individual mobs to save time (like in TFB). Im just flat out nerfed, with zero benefit, and i don't think i contributed anything to get to this Skank problem (because i didn't).

And after reading this hole thread (thanks guys) the saddest part seems to be that this nerf doesn't even address the real issue of Tanks wearing DPS gear in PvP.

So please, just don't.

How are tanks supposed to do solo content now? Like the Star Fortress heroics? Do you have any idea how long it takes already? And you want to reduce tank dps even more?

What about group content? Tanks don't do a lot of dmg but they contribute... if that is less, how do you compensate?

Nerfing the dmg is not the right way to go about it. Actual tanks in proper tank gear are still next to useless in PvP. I play a defense guardian and honestly, it's not much fun because my defenses simply don't work against most dmg. Oh, and I have less health than the dps.

People wear dps gear for the added health and the higher dps. Nerfing one doesn't invalidate the other, overall it's still better than a pure tank. Your "balance change" changes nothing, except that tanks will do less dps across the board.

If you want people to play tanks in PvP, then make it more attractive. Like, make our defenses work properly. Give tanks more endurance with their gear. Anything. Especially for the Vanguard/PT tanks, who have the worst defenses in exchange for... nothing really.

Yes, that would change TTK for tanks but honestly... first all roles need to function properly before you start to balance that. You can't have a system where one role doesn't work so everything is "balanced". As you can see, people will work around that.

Along with many other posters in this thread, I don't usually reply on the forums. However:

As someone who PvPs as a Tank in Tank gear, these changes might make me start to skank tank just to remain competitive. This feels like a completely contradictory outcome to what you set out to do.

Wouldn't a better change to make defense more effective against critical attacks (possibly even internal ones) - to make the gear more attractive?

Fighting through star fortresses on a kinetic combat shadow has already been an exercise in tediousness; please don't makeit worse.

I have no interest in PVP.

I play solo flash points with my Darkness Assassin. I know DPS spec is more optimal in solo but I like the challenge and I like my spec. With this nerf you are forcing me to no longer play my favorite spec.

Please find another solution for the PVP problem the game is having.

Jesus fart balls you folks are pretty gosh darn stupid. Does anyone at BW play the game anymore or are you the lvl 70's running around Korriban , Ord Mantell, Hutta and Typhon will those big mounts RP'ing?

You could have taken my monthly sub and by now, could have actually bought a ' clue ' and yet here sit, reading once again, that you just cant fix stupid

Couldn't have put it better myself. Those devs dont understand this game...not even a little bit. Those changes doesn't fix anything. Nerf the dmg sure, but ... Make defense, shield and absorb worth it in pvp...adjust pve tank roles accordingly. But no hurr durr new augments...

Edited by ExarSun

How are you planning to offset these changes for PvE Eric? Will you be boosting DPS players damage for PvE since you're cutting tanks so much?

Tanks already sucked for leveling...this destroys them.

No, silly. That's what the new augments are for. ;)

Man getting triggered by the stupidity of your comments I haven't even mentioned the 30% DR while stunned tanks get. The sad part about this is you actually think I'm trolling you. I guarantee there are no 4 man operatives that can global a jugg tank in 3 secs as you have suggested. You whimsical evidence has been pathetic, please admit you were grossly exaggerating when you made your claim.

Yes, he was probably exaggerating. So why did you call out an obvious exaggeration?

For forum pvp?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Can someone explain to me how reducing damage output in a context that's ultimately all about damage is supposed to dis-incentivise the use of damager gear?

Yeah, I'm just not seeing the connection, here.

Even by BioWare's utterly laughable standard, this seems just a little....short-sighted.

Can someone explain to me how reducing damage output in a context that's ultimately all about damage is supposed to dis-incentivise the use of damager gear?

Yeah, I'm just not seeing the connection, here.

Even by BioWare's utterly laughable standard, this seems just a little....short-sighted.

BioWare's objective is to reduce damage output of tanks, pure and simple. Read Eric Musco's statement again. At no point did he state BioWare's goal is to eliminate skank tanking. That is what many are misunderstanding here. Per BioWare all tank classes are exceeding their intended target ranges for damage so they're nerfing them. For me the irritating thing is that it's taken way too long to make this kind of adjustment.

This is totally NOT what I was hoping for. Decrease the number of Skank Tanks by increasing the number of Tanks. Since my defense/shield/Absorb are still practically meaningless in PvP, I will not be changing my mods/enhancements around for PvP.

What I want to see as a tank in PvP......

Let my taunt actually taunt.

Let my defense actually work.

Let me be infreakingvincible for bursts of time.

I don't have to do a ton of damage... I don't have to kill people... but IF I CAN'T kill people... i need to be able to survive.

There is more to it, but the absence of these 4 things is why I skank tank.....

What i want to see as a tank in pvp......

I don't have to do a ton of damage... I don't have to kill people... But if i can't kill people... I need to be able to survive.

There is more to it, but the absence of these 4 things is why i skank tank.....

^^^

this!!!

Edited by _Miriya_

After having read most of this thread, I feel like there have been some really good suggestions for how to crack down on skank tanks AND provide a reason to use a tank in PVP. I apologize for not quoting the people with these ideas directly, but I don’t have time to go back and search for them.

1. Cap the benefits of dps stats like power and crit for tank specs. This would remove skank tanks without negatively impacting PVE.

2. Reduce the base effectiveness of taunt/guard against other players. Then, say, have taunts damage reduction scale up with defense and guards scale up with shield/absorb. The max for this may only be a little higher than the default is now. This would create a reason to bring a tank into pvp and won’t create a crisis with heal/tank combos being too strong.

What I want to see as a tank in PvP......

I don't have to do a ton of damage... I don't have to kill people... but IF I CAN'T kill people... i need to be able to survive.

This is reasonable and logical so obviously BW will do the opposite :D

Reducing damage combine with reduction of cooldowns associated with abilities used for peeling would have been fairly interesting if they didn’t want to take on issues associated with tank gear. The DPS classes could have used something like that and half the skanks would have jumped to their DPS class. They left little to no choice for a tank. Go Merc or Marauder or continue to skank but there is no viability of an actual tank or switching to a PT/SIN/JUGG dps class. Why go vigilance if you can give gear to your fury marauder.....

It appears based on what I see in the wzs those tanks may be playing their lightning sorcs to prepare for the changes

Edited by Glocko