Why is so much missing from patch notes?

TrixxieTriss

It’s obvious after reading a few threads to do with changes with this patch, that there are quite a few changes that never made it into the patch notes.

Mr Musco, what is the reason for this? In the past you have stated that any changes to the game that aren’t in the patch notes are bugs.

Besides the actual bugs, of which there are many, the omission of so much from the notes would mean this patch is the buggiest patch you guys have ever released in the history of the game.

Is there a reason you guys didn’t do the patch notes properly? Are all these changes intended, how are we to know what’s a bug and what’s not?

Can you please update them or add them into the 5.8a patch notes on Monday.

But things always get found out. Transparency is better than secrecy because loyalty and secrecy breeds distrust.

A small handful finding out is better than, everyone who reads the patch notes sees the change and immediately causes a firestorm. also not everyone reads the patch notes either. most don't even frequent the forums, so whatever they see in game, they take it as if its just how its supposed to be. gamers will game.

Edited by ThomasStarWars

You always need to look at both short term and long term.

Even the two main points in the patch were over hyped.

Izax was beaten on vet mode within several hours after launch and ridiculed with links of the achievement to prove they beat it. If you make this uber operation boss and act like the most elite guilds may not even beat him in a month then allowing people to beat him in less than half a day means it's a failure.

Conquest was a joke even if not bugged on all sides. And there's people defending it saying it's good practice to break it and then slowly fix it over the course of a year so to the new players then it looks like you added something new. NONSENSE! Even if such theory made sense it would be terrible short term and leave lasting damage. For now (and the foreseeable future) it's unplayable.

Take those failures and add lies on top of that. "Only a handful will notice" believe that is you want, it still hurts reputation. Think that this goes on for years, those handfuls add up quickly, and word of mouth spreads. And it's not just this game, how many people will play Anthem and how many would have? You can't be certain, I know I won't be touching Anthem though, and they are losing my subscription here.

Edited by Lyshar

But things always get found out. Transparency is better than secrecy because loyalty and secrecy breeds distrust.

Indeed.

Then again, throughout this whole Conquest-fiasco, I've had the feeling Eric has no clue about the exact content either. Which is inexcusable, but would at least explain why some changes didn't make the patch notes and why he wasn't able to immediately address some of the concerns people had/have about the Conquest changes.

....on the other hand, I think we've been asking for exact and complete patch notes for years now. I doubt they'll start anytime soon.

A small handful finding out is better than, everyone who reads the patch notes sees the change and immediately causes a firestorm. also not everyone reads the patch notes either. most don't even frequent the forums, so whatever they see in game, they take it as if its just how its supposed to be. gamers will game.

I disagree, if something changes after a patch and I didn't see it mentioned in the patch notes, I'm filling out a bug report. So if it was an undisclosed change, I'm wasting my time and theirs.

Seriously, uh ... that's the whole reason for patch notes in the first place.

I disagree, if something changes after a patch and I didn't see it mentioned in the patch notes, I'm filling out a bug report. So if it was an undisclosed change, I'm wasting my time and theirs.

Seriously, uh ... that's the whole reason for patch notes in the first place.

Every game has hidden changes not added to patch notes.

The issue that I have is that the devs like to keep things secret. They often say that the reason that they do that is the don't want to spoil content from us before we have the chance to experience it for ourselves, and that make sense when you are talkin about story specific information, however, it makes no sense when they are making changes like the ones that they made in patch 5.8.

They want us to believe as Keith wrote in the 2017 roadmap that was published on May 31, 2017 http://www.swtor.com/blog/star-wars™-old-republic™-road-map-2017:

"We want to improve our cadence of releasing information to you. It is important to us that you know your opinions count and you have a serious stake in whatever changes we make to the game. To do this, we must chat with you on a regular basis and with a specific focus in mind – that’s our plan."

At this point, it is hard for me to tell if Keith believed what he said, and truly intended on following through on this statement, or if he was just telling us what he thought we would want him to say in order to get him off of his back and leave him alone for awhile.

Since then however the studio has proven through their actions that they haven't and probably never will make improvements to their communication process, and that they don't want to know our opinions when considering changes in the game. I say that, because, if they did, we would have been told in advance what changes were coming, and they would have listened to our feedback before releasing such a mean spirited patch as the one that they just did.

It also seems to me that the devs really don't consider us important enough to communicate things like this to us. They don't respect us enough to give us the full details of upcoming changes, and they will continue to keep secret changes like this in the future because the just don't see any need to communicate with us in advance, or to want to bother listening to us when we respond to those changes with our feedback.

Edited by Exly

They don't want any form of spoilers to leak. - Even though you can read most of them on other websites freely. - Along with endless discussion over them. - So there's precious little info on story developments.

The PTS was shut down years ago, so they can't test it in the open - with real players.

The PTS feedback was usually quite critical. - Which probably doesn't do much for studio morale - or indeed impress their bosses higher up.

And there is a lack of staff, budget and community communication which means that they push stuff that hasn't been in demand, and can't rigorously test it and adjust it before going live.

Most of the complaints about conquest was over bigger guilds buying their way onto the leaderboards with 100s of players farming mats and guild-running all the content that gave max points. - Squeezing out the little guilds.

A complete revamp with a whole load of bugs and lack of clarity didn't address this issue whatsoever - and no playtesting and feedback left us with the dogs-dinner of a mess that 5.8 was- hence the emergency patch tomorrow.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

They want us to believe as Keith wrote in the 2017 roadmap that was published on May 31, 2017 http://www.swtor.com/blog/star-wars™-old-republic™-road-map-2017:

"We want to improve our cadence of releasing information to you. It is important to us that you know your opinions count and you have a serious stake in whatever changes we make to the game. To do this, we must chat with you on a regular basis and with a specific focus in mind – that’s our plan."

That was all before they hit the big button. They just never bothered to tell anybody as usual.

It could be possible they keep some things undisclosed because of potential backlash right out the gate.

Thats a definite.

However, I think it's also two fold for something like the mats in the last patch.

bioware didn't want you using the old recipes for those mats with the lower cost. So bioware willfully didn't tell you to stop you from making them using the old mats and wanted to hide it so you would have to use the newer, more grindy and costly recipes.

Thats a definite.

However, I think it's also two fold for something like the mats in the last patch.

bioware didn't want you using the old recipes for those mats with the lower cost. So bioware willfully didn't tell you to stop you from making them using the old mats and wanted to hide it so you would have to use the newer, more grindy and costly recipes.

Not only that, but they screwed over the lower level crafters in the process, and they definitely didn't want that info put out there.

• Dev Post

We definitely try to ensure you know everything that is changing in each Game Update. If something is missing from patch notes it will typically qualify in one of three categories:

• It is part of a large system revamp - In these cases we will generalize the overall changes that occured but will not list every specific change.
  • It is a change that was intended but was missed during the patch note process.*
  • It was an unintended change, or it is a bug.*
    • *In both of these cases the best bet is report them in the bug report forum so we can look into and see if it is intended or not.

Even outside of Conquests I know there have been a variety of reports of things changing with 5.8. My advice is to continue letting us know of anything you see like that (in the bug report forum, in its own thread) and I will continue sending it on to the team for investigation.

Thanks!

-eric

We definitely try to ensure you know everything that is changing in each Game Update. If something is missing from patch notes it will typically qualify in one of three categories:

• It is part of a large system revamp - In these cases we will generalize the overall changes that occured but will not list every specific change.
  • It is a change that was intended but was missed during the patch note process.*
    • *In both of these cases the best bet is report them in the bug report forum so we can look into and see if it is intended or not.

Even outside of Conquests I know there have been a variety of reports of things changing with 5.8. My advice is to continue letting us know of anything you see like that (in the bug report forum, in its own thread) and I will continue sending it on to the team for investigation.

Thanks!

-eric

There ya go, trix.:)

Thanks!

-eric

So with the crafting changes, they were just going for "Generally" screwing it up instead of "Specifically" screwing it up. Gotcha.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

So with the crafting changes, they were just going for "Generally" screwing it up instead of "Specifically" screwing it up. Gotcha.

I'm also trying to figure out which large system revamp the increased costs of pulling mods from shells fell into...

Thanks!

-eric

Hey, thanks for skipping over and not talking about how increasing the mats were not so important and just a general change that clearly meant nothing to you and bioware.

Even if it was important to your players and directly affects how they craft in the conquest system you screwed up.

*pastes 5000 gold star stickers on PorsaLindahl* There you go, you're getting it. Now back to waiting for vague 5.8a patch notes we go.