What do people think of the dumbed down gameplay?

kamikazepanda

Quick travel is good but in my opinion went too far. Quick travel to the quest giver and having to pick it up there and travel to the location bring the game more alive. IF you wanted a quick "gain the mission" effect, putting an option in the conversation to "skip conversation" would have been better though that would likely have needed more programming than just teleport to start.

And you can STILL do that.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you can STILL do that.

I definitely do. In fact I normally don't use quick travel to go anywhere on a planet. (even to turn in missions). I used it a lot when I first fully unlocked it in legacy but now I find that the game is much more enjoyable for me to actually travel to the locations. Since there is so little new content, enjoying the scenery has become the center of the game for me.

I definitely do. In fact I normally don't use quick travel to go anywhere on a planet. (even to turn in missions). I used it a lot when I first fully unlocked it in legacy but now I find that the game is much more enjoyable for me to actually travel to the locations. Since there is so little new content, enjoying the scenery has become the center of the game for me.

OK good...sorry I assumed you didn't. I'm glad to see you're still able to play how you like. Choices are always better.

Then why the hell are you using it??? If it disrupts your "belief", why the hell use it? You're not forced to QT anywhere...so how on Earth can you claim it impacts you in any way when YOU elect to use it?

Seriously...what the hell lol?!

Simple: my compulsive optimization tendencies often overrule it!**

Simply put: when something is there, there is temptation to use it. And you may enjoy its benefits, while still having a sense of ambivalence.

It's the same reason people here complain about GC "forcing" (really "coercing", or BW's view: "incentivizing") them to do certain activities, rather than what they'd prefer. Hell, the whole GC gear grind hamster wheel is like that.

Or people saying content is too easy, and not listening to the "helpful" suggestions (like take off your gear or turn off your companion").

** [Not always. First time through story with a character/class, I'll stop and smell the roses most often. And "benefit" of making a new account ... I had a 26 min QT cooldown ;)]

Edited by NSevven

There were 1 million freaking players dude...to compare that to what we have now is silly.

I actually enjoy helping new players out...it's healthier than mocking them and we're damn lucky they started playing this game...without them, you'd have no one to gasp in awe at how awesome of a player you are.

Wow, all your assumptions are wrong right here- I help players all the time when they ask questions, not at all the behavior I was talking about btw, I definitely do not mock anyone in game for being new, and Ive never been a great player- maybe above average, but not great. Your opinions have been noted though, thanks.

I hate it.

It's tragic how stupid-easy the game is now.

Just wait. If some get their way, there's going to be [sOLO] Operations.

The game is stupidly easy now. The only challenging content is pvp

And just wait some more. If those same people have their way, we'll have [sOLO] Warzones.

Let's hear it for the soloists who want to do end-game stuff but refuse to group! Hip-hip-oy-vay. :rolleyes:

That's great that you think so but my point that there were far superior players in endgame back in those days stands, I hope you're having fun with the much more toxic general community and wadding through the sea of inexperienced rubes that have flooded endgame in the last 3 years but some of us miss the days when there were attention span deterrents from getting there.

so you think running around doing errands on balmorra teaches people to be raiders? you dont even get the powers for your rotation until higher level.Fact: some people are good players and others are not. we all play our own way, you or I dont get to set the standard. As long as they are having fun and not violating the TOS, they are fine. Leveling has never been some sort of basic training to provide you with trained saber fodder.

"Good" and "easy" are subjective. Not everyone who plays this game is aiming to be an endgame raider, and not everyone is experienced with other games. IMHO there are still places to find more challenge if you want it - doing higher level chapters in KOTFE/KOTET, MM flaspoints, Ops, regular content with your companion sent away, etc.

But not everyone hops into the game and finds it easy - what is easy for you might be very hard for someone else for all sorts of reasons. When I first started playing I think I died every two seconds until I figured things out.

Some Quality of Life decisions (like quick travel and so) and that we can use whatever companion we want now and that they level automatically I really like.

The fights aren't that challenging anymore but I mean we do have more difficult content that we can do if we like - even challenging for solo players (like eternal championship or the star fortress FPs in veteran mode).

But it allows players to play this game and enjoy the story without struggling - so I think it is good because we have

even more players. And even if you don't group with them they may stay and support this game.

Well I just took my lvl 17 Jedi Knight from Tython (where he has not yet finished the planet) to Coruscant. He is not maxed in any ability and is wearing Tython level gear (only the gear gained from the Tython planetary missions) and he has a Health of 2097, Armor Rating of 599, Mastery of 174, Endurance of 163, power of 26, and critical of 8. It is the only character I have on Darth Malgus so it has basically 0 achievements complete in legacy (other than the ones I have come across so far on Tython). That means the difference between your character and mine is almost 2000 health. Level, Gear and Achievements make a huge difference.

Of course they do. But in the case I highlighted, nothing (other than my level) made any difference to my health. Full 230 unaugmented gear? 4010. Remove relics, ear, and implants? 4010. Remove armour? 4010. Remove generator offhand? 4010. Remove weapon and have the character stand there unarmed in her skivvies? 4010.

I don't have anywhere near a full set of datacrons, and they are the only "achievement-like" thing that affects stats other than Presence. So that particular aspect of things - what are my stats clipped to? - is so tight on Coruscant that a level 70's "base" stats get clipped.

That's all I was trying to say. But yes, you're quite right: there's a big huge difference between a level 70 and a level 17 on Coruscant, even with Level Sync.

I really don't get all the angst about a game designed to appeal to a broad range of players being simple at the base level to play and progress on. It's not that hard to seek and pursue more challenging content in an MMO, without the need to make it steep and difficult for the more novice players who like the IP but are not veteran expert leet MMO players. Edited by Andryah

Hi, I am a long time SWTOR player whose main area of interest within the game has been around the eight class stories, as I really enjoy star wars and the lore that came with KOTOR and also what they have now created with SWTOR.

Usually when I play I do so solo however this time I have come back predominantly because a friend has got into SWTOR so I am doing an Operative, and he is doing a Sith Assassin. What I have noticed however both from the previous times I’ve been back after the level sync is how easy the game has become.

Now I am very much a fan of the streamlined level experience and that characters can progress through a story by just doing the planet story arc and personal story arc, and I also really like the fact that players no matter the level can be rewarded no matter whether they are lvl 70 doing Korriban heroics or even just level 45 starting Nar Shadaa in their story.

I think the choice of how to approach the game has been really improved by level sync. One problem however is the game has become so easy it feels like I am playing on god mode and cannot die. As someone who has played more or less from the beginning it still feels strange to me when I solo the Heroics without really breaking a sweat, I remember when I used to have to hang around shouting “LFM 1H 1DPS Heroic 4” so that I could do them.

The reason I want to see what others think however and the reason I am concerned that the game has become too easy is because myself and my friend have been doing the flashpoints in their now veteran mode duo with only dying once on the last boss of Hammer Station.

I’m fairly certain veteran mode is meant for four players but my friend and myself while following our story have done The Black Talon, Hammer Station and Athiss just the two of us with our companions in heal mode, and I think there must be something wrong with that? I mean to be honest the speed and ease with which we have done the flashpoints together makes them easier than the old Heroic 2’s.

And people are STILL calling for SM Ops to be dumbed down, and pretty much all the 'story' content. So, what you and I consider blazingly easy is apparently STILL too hard for some folks who scream on the forums for more dumbing down.

I really don't get all the angst about a game designed to appeal to a broad range of players being simple at the base level to play and progress on. It's not that hard to seek and pursue more challenging content in an MMO, without the need to make it steep and difficult for the more novice players who like the IP but are not veteran expert leet MMO players.

It's indicative of the "unless they play the game the way I play the game it doesn't really count as playing the game" crowd.

I really don't get all the angst about a game designed to appeal to a broad range of players being simple at the base level to play and progress on. It's not that hard to seek and pursue more challenging content in an MMO, without the need to make it steep and difficult for the more novice players who like the IP but are not veteran expert leet MMO players.

This.

that they will keep dumbing down there game and people will get stupider and cry this to hard i have to do "mechanics" I have to pay "attention" , i cant pull without a "care"

I still dont know how groups manage to fail and WIPE on story mode ev puzzle plyon. and they nefed that to point it actual automated. puzzle boss is kp in story mode was nerfed too. and the amount people that go in to HM and have no clue how the puzzle works or that your not supposed stand in fire or stay away from where stun droid spawn or for that matter kill them. is astounding.

Want to dumb down solo content go for but group content they need to stop nerfing and making accept if they want to do that stuff then need to learn.

The amount of groups that would out right wipe and fail on EV/KP HM/NIM as they WERE back when the came out. would be 99% of population at this point and mechanics have not changed for most part.

Edited by Kyuuu

I still dont know how groups manage to fail and WIPE on story mode ev puzzle plyon..

I had quite some difficulties in understanding that, and I blame my slight Dyscalculia for that. Now I do understand it a little bit, but it's still hard for me. I normally let others do this puzzle because of that. I just don't want to be the reason why we wipe. :D

so you think running around doing errands on balmorra teaches people to be raiders? you dont even get the powers for your rotation until higher level.Fact: some people are good players and others are not. we all play our own way, you or I dont get to set the standard. As long as they are having fun and not violating the TOS, they are fine. Leveling has never been some sort of basic training to provide you with trained saber fodder.

Story missions/ combat doesnt teach anyone to be anything, but it was a slog the average moron couldnt get through, so in the end there was less morons in endgame.

Since everyone gets sidetracked by certain words so easily, Im not talking about endgame raiding, Im just talking about how back when you had to actually think your way through missions (even just a little bit i.e. 'use your ship to travel to X') less made their way to the end.

Edited by Monumenta

I have to say, I agree with this. It is easy to make the game harder for yourself. People kit out their characters for maximum effect and then complain that things are too easy. They really want to be able to dictate the difficulty of others game experience. Let people that arent elite players have their fun, there is plenty of difficulty for those that are willing to seek it.