Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

Its more likely to make it big streaming than athletics, and again there is a strong correlation to popular games and streaming views. Developers are using this data as a vehicle to develop games, and what's worse for this type of game is that the games that are popular are cheaper to develop.

I'm really worried about this type of game because it does not fit the modern model of a successful game, and what the player base that is loudest in this game doesn't understand is that building this game against its intended model is not helping.

I'm with you on the big worry there. Can't say personally how much time of day is given to MMO's, but I know that TBS dedicates hours during primetime on Fridays to televising FPS and SFIV and similar games, and I watch my younger coworkers watching streams during work times and they're definitely not watching MMOs. EA's $$ eyes are definitely not pointed towards SWTOR in this regard.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be stupid, most people don't... LoL.. at least most adults don't... children on the other hand might 😉

So games are marketed to middle age adults? It's not your market anymore once you hit 30 with less time. The player base in that range however is the person who streams.

I'm not saying I like the trend, but this is the reality. I'm all for that trend changing and these games becoming popular but for that to happen in 2017 they need to create a buzz in the streaming community. I think making the worlds more open and impactful will help. Having cities to fight over and an actual side vs side war would really be interesting. A third faction as a support option would be interesting (maybe an optional combat faction that focuses on specialty needs). On GTA roleplaying has become popular, I think finding a way to organically involve RP into the games again. I would love for mmos to feel like a community again where the world feels real and you undertake massive acts.

In SWG we faught over cities, it was great fun. We had organized space battles. The issue with both is it involves alot of community buy-in. Most players that play MMOs are in it for themselves with no care for community involvement. Again the games have encouraged this and it has resulted in massive harm to the games people use to love to play.

I'll be honest, if you haven't played these games since the turn of the century I really don't want to hear your "expert" opinion because you really don't know what these games are about. Most of you have only played these games from an aspect of "ME ME ME" and that is just blasphemy.

This is where the responsibility falls on you KEITH, if you understand these games help the developers understand what they really need. Stop responding to what is not working, again, if you truly understand what its about.

In SWG we faught over cities, it was great fun. We had organized space battles. The issue with both is it involves alot of community buy-in. Most players that play MMOs are in it for themselves with no care for community involvement. Again the games have encouraged this and it has resulted in massive harm to the games people use to love to play.

Ahhh those were the days. But a lot has changed since then and games that require imagination and cooperation are a thing of the past. Now if the game doesn't hold your hand through the narrative and tell when and where to go it flops. So in that regard I agree with you 100%.

i still could care less about streamers though. Seriously, my gf never wears a sports bra and yoga pants while playing but every single female twitcher does. It's a gimmick nothing more. Props to them for finding another way to milk dumb*ss gamers though. i'd say it's a passing fad, but I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't.

I'm with you on the big worry there. Can't say personally how much time of day is given to MMO's, but I know that TBS dedicates hours during primetime on Fridays to televising FPS and SFIV and similar games, and I watch my younger coworkers watching streams during work times and they're definitely not watching MMOs. EA's $$ eyes are definitely not pointed towards SWTOR in this regard.

bingo, these games have to offer something unique and right now they aren't.

Ahhh those were the days. But a lot has changed since then and games that require imagination and cooperation are a thing of the past. Now if the game doesn't hold your hand through the narrative and tell when and where to go it flops. So in that regard I agree with you 100%.

i still could care less about streamers though. Seriously, my gf never wears a sports bra and yoga pants while playing but every single female twitcher does. It's a gimmick nothing more. Props to them for finding another way to milk dumb*ss gamers though. i'd say it's a passing fad, but I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't.

I see where the frustration comes from, and believe me I'm in the same boat brother. I HATE that people don't know how to play these types of games, I HATE that if you don't give people things they will quit, and I HATE the lack of seeking a community!

The only solution I can see to this is game developers being more effective in teaching the player how to play the game. Rather than this quest nonsense get the player into the game and guide them through the challenges here are examples:

- Force the player early into PvP with specific combat objectives (perform an interrupt, CC a target, perform a stun, etc..) guide the player on how to combat another player, if they enjoy it great if they don't well...

- Allow the player to gain Levels through crafting and make the crafting immersive (building a weapon in SWG was FUN! REWARDING! AND INVOLVED!)

- REWARD THE PLAYER FOR JOINING A GUILD WITH MONEY AND EXPERIENCE/PERKS AND MAKE THESE SIGNIFICANT REWARDS. THEN ALLOW THE PLAYER TO GAIN LARGE AMOUNTS OF EXPERIENCE BY COMPLETING TASKS IN THE GAME: INSTANCE CONTENT, ZONE CONTENT, PVP CONTENT, ETC... HOPEFULLY THIS WILL ALLOW COMMUNICATION AND SPREAD OF IDEAS

- LASTLY, ENCOURAGE GROUP CONTENT AND MAKE THE UI SMOOTH AND GUIDING. If the actions can be synced and guided in real time (suggested combat action arrangements ie right buttons on the bar, a simon says flash like we have now, and in combat action prompts ie that combatant looks ready to be hit or stunned whatever...)

I do agree these games need more community but they also need a way to make the player more competent and interested in community engagement because they feel confident.

bingo, these games have to offer something unique and right now they aren't.

Well SWTOR used to offer great story as its "something unique" but you now claim they shouldn't do that.

You really can't managed joined up thinking, or a coherent argument, can you?

These "other people" that pay for your subscription - is it mommy and daddy?

All The Best

The only solution I can see to this is game developers being more effective in teaching the player how to play the game. Rather than this quest nonsense get the player into the game and guide them through the challenges here are examples:

- Force the player early into PvP

And watch subscription numbers enter free fall.

75% of MMORPG players never regularly play PvP - because they just don't want to.

All The Best

Prove it.

I know roughly 80+ gamers across the different games I play, none of us watch streams of games.

All The Best

80 people huh... my god that's a hell of cross-section you got going

http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/twitch-stats/

(10 million active users daily) / 100 million accounts with 22k active streamers... times are changing and your MMO solo player games are going away.

Edited by dontbeswg

And watch subscription numbers enter free fall.

75% of MMORPG players never regularly play PvP - because they just don't want to.

All The Best

Do it early and make it quick, give them a chance to experience it and learn whether they like it rather than old man river mahhhhhhhhhhh pvp is horrible.

If you don't do PvP or PvE what the hell are you doing?!

Well SWTOR used to offer great story as its "something unique" but you now claim they shouldn't do that.

You really can't managed joined up thinking, or a coherent argument, can you?

These "other people" that pay for your subscription - is it mommy and daddy?

All The Best

I really upset you it seems...

I've made my points very clear and I'm equally frustrated with the state of the game and people like you. The difference is that my solutions would actually help.

I really upset you it seems...

I've made my points very clear and I'm equally frustrated with the state of the game and people like you. The difference is that my solutions would actually help.

No.

You "think" they would help - the evidence points to the contrary.

The solutions you offer might work for a different game, I honestly do not think they'll work for SWTOR. Because SWTOR wasn't a traditional MMORPG, and it didn't cater to traditional MMORPG players; ergo offering traditional MMORPG solutions is not likely to help.

Why be frustrated with me? What have I done except challenge your views?

All The Best

Do it early and make it quick, give them a chance to experience it and learn whether they like it rather than old man river mahhhhhhhhhhh pvp is horrible.

If you don't do PvP or PvE what the hell are you doing?!

I don't do pvp. I hate the attitude of pvp players. I have played it once (to get the companion) which I played with my boyfriend, because the attitudes of some of the pvp players are horrible. I have to deal with people that act like jerks in real life, I am sure not in hell going to deal with them on a game that I pay a sub for.

Pve, I play with my guild and friends. I don't do group pickups and there is no reason why I should when I have a guild and friends that play together.

Edited by casirabit

No.

You "think" they would help - the evidence points to the contrary.

The solutions you offer might work for a different game, I honestly do not think they'll work for SWTOR. Because SWTOR wasn't a traditional MMORPG, and it didn't cater to traditional MMORPG players; ergo offering traditional MMORPG solutions is not likely to help.

Why be frustrated with me? What have I done except challenge your views?

All The Best

so the solution to an MMO is to make it a single player? please tell me more...

I don't do pvp. I hate the attitude of pvp players. I have played it once (to get the companion) which I played with my boyfriend, because the attitudes of some of the pvp players are horrible. I have to deal with people that act like jerks in real life, I am sure not in hell going to deal with them on a game that I pay a sub for.

Pve, I play with my guild and friends. I don't do group pickups and there is no reason why I should when I have a guild and friends that play together.

I don't know what to say, I mean sounds like a lot of you just don't like playing mmos.

The implication from the info they have released so far is that the FP will be the story. So I would guess it will basically be we meet with a quest giver, have a conversation, do the FP, and have another conversation with the quest giver. I don't think it will be anywhere near as expansive as Rishi was.

Thanks for the info dude!!!

so your mmo can't have:

-raids

-open world pvp

-random community interaction...

which mmo is this ?

This MMO has all of that ... which is why I've lost track of what you're ************ about (I think so did you long ago).

Normally it's "too long didn't read" but your posts seem to be more "too nonsensical didn't read".

http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/twitch-stats/

(10 million active users daily) / 100 million accounts with 22k active streamers

Which proves what exactly? What are those active users watching, because it isn't just gamers streams available to watch on Twitch?

I'll watch something on Twitch if it interests me enough to do so, but it's extremely rare that I'll watch anyone "playing a game", because it's quite honestly baf.

Hey but we have a raid that is not even half complete... they are focusing on raid content... :cool::D

Oh well maybe Anthem won't be terrible...

If they ever want a real raiding community back its very simple. They need to get on a schedule where they drop a raid with an expansion and then flesh another one out over a year. The current system is an improvement but doesn't go far enough, and there's no evidence saying that bioware will even keep to the current schedule, which offers no margin for error.