How to make alts relevant

Icykill_

Ok, this will be controversial and it's not full thought out yet.

How to make alts relevant for pvp and pve

Make CXP legacy bound

Edit : Increase CXP to 400 (or something??)

Make unassembled pieces legacy bound

Allow alts below lvl 70 to acquire CXP and unassembled pieces for your lvl 70 legacy characters.

Increase CXP lvling

Set pvp bolster just above max lvl gear so alts can play with little gear gap.

Zero costs to have all options

There are probably other things to add to this idea, but I can't think of any at the moment

Edited by Icykill_

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really against any of these, but, "Increase CXP to 600 (or something??)" :rak_03: Why would you want this increase right now? Does this include tier 5 and 6 in tems of new armor, or just increase it to 600? Edited by Eshvara

I'm not really against any of these, but, "Increase CXP to 600 (or something??)" :rak_03: Why would you want this increase right now? Does this include tier 5 and 6 in tems of new armor, or just increase it to 600?

I just put that number out there... and yeah.. more tiers too

Edited CXP and tiers

400CXP

Tier 4

Edited by Icykill_

What purpose would the new tiers of armor bring, without any content added for it? Right now 248 gear is NiM armor, so what would 252 and 256 gear be for if things stay as they are? Edited by Eshvara

While I personally am not against making cxp legacy, as someone who regularly plays 3 classes and lots of alts, and the cxp bit came after they basically encouraged alt making, I would question adding more gear while keeping content the same. Also, how would they implement legacy cxp? I have one character at max, 2 others at 230-250ish, like 5 more in the 50ź150 range. Is it fair to just give me max cxp? What if someone has cappend more alts or not capped any alts? Resetting cxp would enrage everyone I'm certain.

In summary, I'd enjoy having more to do with my alts, but how to fairly inplement it I'm not sure.

I really don't see why people keep complaining about alts. I have 7 level 300 characters now. You can just put your 248/246 mods/enhancements in legacy gear and get 230 set pieces from the token vendor. They have made this grind stupid easy now and people keep on complaining. Maybe if players stopped standing around on fleet all day complaining about "how this game is dying" and other non-sense they would have top tier gear. Don't want to play the game on a alt to get levels and gear? Okay, that's why there are legacy command packs; oh wait, you people don't get those because your endgame content is complaining on the forums or in fleet chat.

I really don't see why people keep complaining about alts...

@jagertharn

Because your preferred play style has already been addressed while some other's hasn't been.

@OP

I agree that something should be done about earning CXP while leveling new alts. I would much prefer to run through leveling class quests multiple times than repeating the same flashpoints or Uprising. This game is great because of its story, and whenever I am leveling an alt I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm not earning gear progress. DvL was so much more fun than Galactic Command because of the variety of content we experienced.

The studo have spent so much time developing, implementing and then tinkering with CXp at the cost of subs, players, content and story - Do we want another development cycle aken up by fixing this thing that wasn't even a good idea in the first place?

It is what it is. - Either leave it, or make it legacy and have done with it. Any more tinkering [with cxp] taking up more months is just making a bad situation worse.

You can easily get 200-300 UCs a week if you really *need* them. - and for 95% of the content, gear isn't that important.... just equip your alts the best you can.... There'll be a level increase soon enough, putting everyone back on the treadmill.

@jagertharn

Because your preferred play style has already been addressed while some other's hasn't been.

Nice cherry pick there, and it doesn't actually address his post, does it? I left before CXP was a thing, and while I have 0 maxed toons at this time, I have 6 or 7 toons that are now at 70 and earning it. My Jugg has 5 pieces of 230 gear, and 3 of the rest have at least one piece. As it stands, my alts are feeling pretty relevant. Some of them exist purely to run Heroics for crates, others are advancing through the Iokath content, even though I had to stop, because a low Influence Theron is useless, and so I had to get him ready, on the three toons that I plan to take through the content, anyway.

All this while quite literally spending millions of credits on my crafters/gatherers to make my 228 gear. So I'm not quite sure what playstyle you're referring to? How do alts need to become more relevant? Earning CXP at all levels? Earning it from 65? It needs to stay right where it is. If you want to earn CXP on an alt, level it to 70. It doesn't take all that long, and can be done running Daily and Heroic content, which will also provide crates and, more importantly for some, credits. So how about that instead of "But I want to roll a new toon, and have it capped before it's 50"?

@OP

I agree that something should be done about earning CXP while leveling new alts. I would much prefer to run through leveling class quests multiple times than repeating the same flashpoints or Uprising. This game is great because of its story, and whenever I am leveling an alt I feel like I'm wasting my time because I'm not earning gear progress. DvL was so much more fun than Galactic Command because of the variety of content we experienced.

Since, at level 70, all of the content will provide CXP, what's the problem? Not earning it on a brand new toon? I don't see that as a problem.

Make CXP legacy bound

Increase CXP to 600 (or something??)

Allow alts below lvl 70 to acquire CXP and unassembled pieces for your lvl 70 legacy characters.

Increase CXP lvling

There are probably other things to add to this idea, but I can't think of any at the moment

Icy, if you are going to pursue a thread topic like this... I think it would be very helpful to first define what "how to make alts relevant" means to you.

I play all but about 8 dormant alts on my account, across multiple servers, and honestly none of them are irrelevant due to 5.0. In fact, I found it easier to gear the active alts up to reasonable levels for end game was easier and faster in 5.0 then 4.0 (for reasons I have outlined in prior threads, so no need to repeat myself). So please.. define specifically what the problem is (why they are irrelevant to you) as I think that would make for more productive discussion.

Please note: I am 100% with you on a fixed high end bolster for PvP if the studio insists not taking gear out of the equation entirely for PvP. PvP is it's own MMO within an MMO, and should be 100% focused on PvP for PvP sake in my view.

Edited by Andryah

I'd be more for 6.0 removing the CXP system and returning to comms and their vendors. Leave GC there for a bonus for players to get gear/rewards through playing different activities.

They tried something and IMO, it didn't work. They can tweak it to make it bearable until it can be scrapped at the next major development release with 6.0.

Leave GC b/c it does provide a nice supplemental system. But this convulated way to turn in gear and the UC system are just frankly worse than what was there before which is why I think it should be scrapped. Earn WZ comms for playing through wzs and use those comms to buy unassembled pieces. WZ comms back to being a legacy currency. Comm vendors return (can give them more clear namings this go around Bronze/Silver/Gold to avoid any confusion.

I personally have geared my alts faster in 5.0 than I ever have before. I have two characters at GC 300, an Assassin and an Operative, and with every GC box dropping some sort of viable gear, I've gotten most of my alts to full 240+ gear.

Sure most of them are only in 230 armorings for set bonus, but that's better than in 4.0 where even my main character had a piece of PvP armoring because he was god awfully unlucky with rolls in pick up raids.

Unassembled components should be Legacy wide, I'll agree for sure there. But overall, I'll take optimized set bonus 230 pieces for GC tokens over unoptimized commendation gear any day. And with ease of getting endgame mats and the number of level 50 companions out there, buying 240/246 crafted gear is dirt cheap.

While I personally am not against making cxp legacy, as someone who regularly plays 3 classes and lots of alts, and the cxp bit came after they basically encouraged alt making, I would question adding more gear while keeping content the same. Also, how would they implement legacy cxp? I have one character at max, 2 others at 230-250ish, like 5 more in the 50ź150 range. Is it fair to just give me max cxp? What if someone has cappend more alts or not capped any alts? Resetting cxp would enrage everyone I'm certain.

In summary, I'd enjoy having more to do with my alts, but how to fairly inplement it I'm not sure.

Techically this is easy, if they raised the max to 100000000 there would be no problems.

Make CXP legacy bound

Increase CXP lvling

I would like them to make CXP LEVEL legacy bound, ilke legacy level. This way you can play all your 70's and each would gain towards 300, once you hit 300 all characters would be able to each pop/upgrade BiS.

The situation when 5.0 was new (and for new players now) for alts is they cannot play alts. Its that simple. But now that most people have their main to 300 the situation changes a bit for alts. If you like to spend loads of credits you can hand-me-down the 246's and 248's right side to alts (or craft/buy 246), leaving the left side to be upgraded. Which seems ok, but some people have alts at legacy level 1 with full 246/248's and they'll probably never be able to upgrade the left side items because they'll never hit 300 on those chars, much less do another 200 levels on each to get the pops. This may seem like a minor issue really, but the point is for you to max out ALL of your alts before playing them you end up having to play your main for even longer.

So really, if we could do something to fix it so that playing an alt or main would have the same amount of chance producing BiS gear that solution would be the way to go. The idea of legacy CXP LEVEL should help big-time.

No thanks. No more ranks and no more tiers of gear. Seriously.

I think the nerfs we are getting (and how hard they are ) are in part due to the increase from 242 to 248 we had not so long ago. If we get another tier of gear what happens with this infamous "dps target" , "hps target" ? If those target numbers aren't changed then even bigger nerfs should be done. Or if they do change them then they should also tune again all flashpoints and operations.... Not gonna happen, not before the next expansion imo.

Make CXP legacy bound

Increase CXP lvling

Totally agree! If you level CXP on any character it levels it account wide. Disagree with increasing CXP to 600 (yet). I do think the next tier of gear will move us into 400 range.

If they don't Legacy bound the CXP then they should at least change One of Two items:

1) Personal 2%-10% Unlock ($2.5m) changed to reflect 10%-50% instead having 10% per unlock instead of 2%

2) The legacy wide buff doubled in cost and moved to 100% buff instead of the 25% it is today or add 3 more 25%.

I might be motivated to actually play the game again if all of those suggestions (except increasing CXP levels) were implemented in the game. I might even be motivated into regrinding the same content for the 100th time again. Edited by YungDemon

Of everything, I rather want a Legacy Stronghold Bank first.

I rather wish they could remove the alignment requirements on DvL legacy weapons or make the tokens legacy wide (to the point of uselessness on my neutral toons) Or just remove the bloody thing altogether since nobody is doing it. And Legacy weapons are a hassle to use now until 5.4 because of the crystals and tunings restrictions (you can't resell these things, its not an exploit, just cosmetics). Do you really need to make legacy weapons a credit sink now?