Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

The first merges were prefaced with voluntary transfers. I don't count those as merges but in that case you lost your name.

What's your point?

Voluntary transfers can be done now. They have always been vastly different from forced mergers.

The first round of server merges may have been prefaced with voluntary transfers, but even after those voluntary transfers, the players who were forced to merge also lost their names, in the event of any naming conflict, with the naming priority going to the player on the "destination" server.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. RP players should stay on their own server. Stop trying to push them onto a server with non RPers. List should be doubled at least. 1 server for RPers on the west, east, EU English, EU french and EU German. Total of 10 down from the current 17.

5 dedicated RP servers?!

Why would RP'ers need so many it's not liike they do any activities that require having a low ping. Operations, Veteran Flashpoints, Ranked PVP, GSF, etc. You can do fashion and fleet chat with a 300 ping and be fine.

RP would best be an instance like PVP. Although it's safe space wouldn't be an island of isolation that a dedicated server would be it would still be a deterrent making it inconvenient for normal gamers to venture into. Normal being defined as the MMO player looking to be in a melting pot of any and all kinds of gamers.

5 dedicated RP servers?!

Why would RP'ers need so many it's not liike they do any activities that require having a low ping. Operations, Veteran Flashpoints, Ranked PVP, GSF, etc. You can do fashion and fleet chat with a 300 ping and be fine.

RP would best be an instance like PVP. Although it's safe space wouldn't be an island of isolation that a dedicated server would be it would still be a deterrent making it inconvenient for normal gamers to venture into. Normal being defined as the MMO player looking to be in a melting pot of any and all kinds of gamers.

Are you even reading the posts here? RP instance wouldn't work because it's too easy for the trolls and griefers to just switch instances. They wouldn't even need to ever switch OUT of the RP instance, cause they could still queue for the PvP from there.

Are you even reading the posts here? RP instance wouldn't work because it's too easy for the trolls and griefers to just switch instances. They wouldn't even need to ever switch OUT of the RP instance, cause they could still queue for the PvP from there.

Some of these people don't care Crazy. 9 times out of 10 they are on Harbinger and they have an agenda they want everyone on that server. They don't care if servers like Ebon Hawk are doing fine. They want everyone on their server.

Some of these people don't care Crazy. 9 times out of 10 they are on Harbinger and they have an agenda they want everyone on that server. They don't care if servers like Ebon Hawk are doing fine. They want everyone on their server.

That's half the problem here. I don't mind discussions about possible problems, to try to come to some sort of compromise, but to have your point of view completely ignored doesn't help things.

Why is it some people are happy to ignor what RPers say about the issues they have with any potential merger like what we do isn't important? We pay a sub too. As has been said multiple times a seperete instance just won't help, It is far to easy for trolls and griefers to change instances to interfere with us if everyone ends up on one megaserver.

Attention Moderator:

The pattern of a new person posting their opinion followed by the instant rebuttal of the same 3 people is going to deteriorate this thread just like the other threads were.

Had to quote myself from page 4 of this thread...........

first point, I am not pro merger, I dont pvp. Why would we need 5 rp servers, could 1 or 2 do the job? maybe one eu rp server with 3 instances, english, french and german? That would cut down cost and allow the rp community to be on 1 server for things they might be doing other than rp, yet still give them their own language instances. I still dont see what is stopping a troll from rolling a toon on the rp server and griefing you. Trolls have no life anyway, its not like they are there to play the game.

first point, I am not pro merger, I dont pvp. Why would we need 5 rp servers, could 1 or 2 do the job? maybe one eu rp server with 3 instances, english, french and german? That would cut down cost and allow the rp community to be on 1 server for things they might be doing other than rp, yet still give them their own language instances. I still dont see what is stopping a troll from rolling a toon on the rp server and griefing you. Trolls have no life anyway, its not like they are there to play the game.

Go back and read the posts. Sure, they can roll a character on a different server just to troll, but if they are just on a different instance, they can sit in the RP instance griefing, but still be in the queue for PvP, or talk to the rest of the guys in their guild.

Edited by CrazyCT

People are pretending that everything will be sunshine and roses IF BW merges servers, and we do NOT know that is the case.

The only thing we KNOW is what happened in the past, and we have no reason to believe that things will be different in the future.

At this point, it's not "sunshine and roses" that's the goal. Population is in a really bad place and SOMETHING needs to be done. If the Devs are going to dismiss cross-server out of hand for technical reasons and it becomes "merge or do nothing", I'm fine pulling the trigger on a merge despite issues. One should not have to plan one's schedule (to the point it's possible) around peak queuing times. Either multiple time zones need to be on a server, or all servers need to be accessible via queue. They need to have a population plan by the end of Gods or sooner.

Go back and read the posts. Sure, they can roll a character on a different server just to troll, but if they are just on a different instance, they can sit in the RP instance griefing, but still be in the queue for PvP, or talk to the rest of the guys in their guild.

Who would sit in an RP instance griefing players it's to much effort but if they do then Bioware should take the action that is required against that player and put the foot down hard because the entire game is filled with it and until Bioware decides to treat in game trolls and toxic behaviour serious no player is safe in the galaxy.

But to be honest they don't need more than one RP server in NA it's clear because JM,BC isn't healthy and Ebon Hawk should be the main and only RP shard.

Population is in a bad place according to your opinion. Your queues aren't popping fast enough, so a chunk of the players have to stop playing the game they want to cater to you? Even if the servers DO get merged, you're still going to have to queue at peak times, because the people you are trying to force onto your server probably won't join your queue - that is, if they stick around after losing their names, their stuff, their whole gameplay. With the discounted transfers, the people on these quieter servers are choosing to be there, not on the same server as you and the trolls.

But again, that doesn't matter to you. You've decided that this game needs server merges, and you don't care what else happens. And instead of discussing it with us, to try to find a way to work around the problems, you just come here, and demand Bioware tell you their plan, and that it has to happen before whenever "Gods" was supposed to be. You're not that important that you can make demands like that.

At this point, it's not "sunshine and roses" that's the goal. Population is in a really bad place and SOMETHING needs to be done. If the Devs are going to dismiss cross-server out of hand for technical reasons and it becomes "merge or do nothing", I'm fine pulling the trigger on a merge despite issues. One should not have to plan one's schedule (to the point it's possible) around peak queuing times. Either multiple time zones need to be on a server, or all servers need to be accessible via queue. They need to have a population plan by the end of Gods or sooner.

Concur. Cross-server is more of a pipe dream than a reality. Meanwhile the servers that were once lakes are now small pools. Someone popping in to check on the games health will most likely arrive on a server with a very light population and right then and there know it's not worth re-subbing.

We hear a lot from the RP'ers on this thread but at one time there were other types like Progression Raiders and PVP Guilds. It would be a shame to think that their voice has gone out in the SWTOR Universe and that we are only making accommodations for the remaining subset.

Who would sit in an RP instance griefing players it's to much effort but if they do then Bioware should take the action that is required against that player and put the foot down hard because the entire game is filled with it and until Bioware decides to treat in game trolls and toxic behaviour serious no player is safe in the galaxy.

But to be honest they don't need more than one RP server in NA it's clear because JM,BC isn't healthy and Ebon Hawk should be the main and only RP shard.

{Yeah, Bioware are renowned for dealing with people quickly}

Once again, the trolls and griefers think what they do is funny, but if they can queue for PvP or GF while doing it, it makes it that much easier, which means more people will do it. Having to switch servers to grief, while not advancing your char, is usually too much effort, which is why RP needs to be on a seperate server.

Population is in a bad place according to your opinion. Your queues aren't popping fast enough, so a chunk of the players have to stop playing the game they want to cater to you? Even if the servers DO get merged, you're still going to have to queue at peak times, because the people you are trying to force onto your server probably won't join your queue - that is, if they stick around after losing their names, their stuff, their whole gameplay. With the discounted transfers, the people on these quieter servers are choosing to be there, not on the same server as you and the trolls.

But again, that doesn't matter to you. You've decided that this game needs server merges, and you don't care what else happens. And instead of discussing it with us, to try to find a way to work around the problems, you just come here, and demand Bioware tell you their plan, and that it has to happen before whenever "Gods" was supposed to be. You're not that important that you can make demands like that.

Umm isn't that exactly what you and your fellow anti-merge posters are doing? You're dismissing the concerns of people as if it's all about queue times, not even considering that most hardcore raiders don't even use the queue, they want a server with active NiM and HM communities. Same for Ranked, we don't just want queues to pop, we need them to pop and actually work with the matchmaking, which requires a decent population size.

What exactly is the difference between them demanding Bioware cater to them by merging, and you demanding they cater to you by not merging?

I understand that you have concerns about trolling, griefers, asset loss, etc with merges. But don't complain that others are ignoring your concerns and that's unfair when you do the exact same thing with your assumptions that no one will join the queues after a merge, (which is flat out incorrect if you look at past server mergers) and your assumptions that all we want are faster queue times (when we want larger communities that give us better matchmaking and competition).

Ivan,

I don't have a problem with one RP server, Ebon Hawk would do for that. I can only answer that not all servers have a population problem, like some want to say. Some tend to want everyone on Harbinger and ignore that some servers are doing fine. Does some need merged-Yea they do but do they all ? No they do not. It just some do not listen no matter what you say. I am not sure how if they did transfer some of the others to Ebon Hawk how that would do on their connections. Unlike some (idiots) say roleplayers do play the content, just we do it differently than non rp and some have a problem with that.

The problem is how each would be able to play due to the region they are in. I am not saying all RP should come to Ebon Hawk, but Ebon Hawk would welcome them, but their connections is something that needs to be taken into account as well. Not to mention, losing their strongholds, guild ships, outfits, and even their commands tokens and ranks. I do not want to see anyone lose any of that. I would have a problem if I had to do that as well and understand their points.

Edited by casirabit

5 dedicated RP servers?!

No because they will get griefers. It's bad enough on servers like Harbinger now. RPers have their own server to avoid this. Right now there are currently 6 RP servers. Two East, West, EU English, EU french, EU German. Combine two east RP servers onto one server, leave the rest. There is absolutely no reason to push them onto a server with Non RP. RP instance won't help.

Will not having RP players really bother you that much? Will it really make that much of a difference in population for you or be a make or break thing to not have them on your server and that they stay on their own server?

Also another reason why I say 5 RP servers instead of 6 is because of location. If you make just 1 RP server on the west coast, you are now affecting connection and lag for those on the east coast. And Vice versa for those on the west coast.

You have to take I to account player location. There are RPers outside of both NA and EU like Australia for example. So there needs to be RP servers kept in their current location. The only change I can see would be combining the two east RP servers I to one.

But if RPers feel they should be combined with a non RP server or even have a server just on the West or East they would know best.

Either way they should still be kept on their own server no matter what. No an instance won't help and not having them will not make much of a difference for non RPers on queue pops.

Umm isn't that exactly what you and your fellow anti-merge posters are doing? You're dismissing the concerns of people as if it's all about queue times, not even considering that most hardcore raiders don't even use the queue, they want a server with active NiM and HM communities. Same for Ranked, we don't just want queues to pop, we need them to pop and actually work with the matchmaking, which requires a decent population size.

Great point. You rarely if ever hear from the ranked players let alone see any of that cool gear and mounts on fleet. That used to be a sizable group on any given server. The other day I was watching a top 10 Star Wars games of all time. SWTOR was listed number 4 but the narrator spoke about the game in past tense....

RP servers really shouldn't be in this discussion, because no way would an "RP instance" be a deterrent to grief-ers and trolls, and any whom think that are just naive and underestimate the lengths trolls will go to. As someone whom plays a female character as their main, I too have received whispers, oh people trying to get into my character's virtual pants. I shudder at the thought about all the crap Harbinger RPers have to put up with, from what I have heard on the forums.

That's fine, I'll leave at this point. It's not a negotiation.

And it doesn't have to be onto Harb, merge Harb onto another server, I'm fine with that.

What exactly is the difference between them demanding Bioware cater to them by merging, and you demanding they cater to you by not merging?

I understand that you have concerns about trolling, griefers, asset loss, etc with merges. But don't complain that others are ignoring your concerns and that's unfair when you do the exact same thing with your assumptions that no one will join the queues after a merge, (which is flat out incorrect if you look at past server mergers) and your assumptions that all we want are faster queue times (when we want larger communities that give us better matchmaking and competition).

Then after 2+ years of asking for server mergers have none of you just come to the forums and say anyone really into all the things you mention in your post move to server X. What ever server is at present the most active?

2+ years. Reason is because then it be you losing items, names, guilds etc. etc.

There will of cause be players on low population servers who do want to move for the much larger communities you mention for the reasons you mention. So why are they still on the low population servers? :confused:

While I can see why you and others do want higher pop servers you don't get to make that choice for everyone else.

The difference is BTW, you lot are the ones doing the asking. Every single thread except this by BW on mergers have been started by pro-mergers. While there are names in this thread that I have not seen in the other merge threads, it still not a lot of players. In-fact if you add up every player who has posted both for and against, it still is not a huge proportion of the players who play this game. That's before you even brake them down into for and against. That's also not counting players who post under more than one name. I have 3 sub accounts, but still only counts as 1 player, not 3 as an example.

As BW have started this thread, mergers may well happen sometime soon. Which also means BW are giving you lot the keys to my account. Moving my account to suit you and not me. Which will also be the day I boycott this game and every other game by BW/EA. If they can do that for SWTOR they would do so with any other game they bring out or under there franchise.