Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

This would affect bad players much more than it would affect toxic ones. If ignore lists respected who you were on a team with, there are a few players I would make sure are never on my team again. If a player has a reputation for being terrible at pvp, he is going to be on a lot of people's ignore lists and not ever able to get a queue pop. This becomes a bigger issue in solo ranked as it is a smaller pool of people queuing, and a bigger incentive to not have terrible players on your team to protect your rating.

Also at a certain point queues would just shut down because the system could not resolve ignore list conflicts.

Its a total non-issue as it is now as you still can't see chat from someone you are ignoring. If you can't handle someone on your ignore list being on your team, thats your problem.

So why is it okay for /ignore to block players out of PvE group finder groups, but not PvP group finder groups? Doesn't seem all that fair to me. It should block both or neither. There's positives and negatives to both options, I'd just like to see some consistency.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why is it okay for /ignore to block players out of PvE group finder groups, but not PvP group finder groups? Doesn't seem all that fair to me. It should block both or neither. There's positives and negatives to both options, I'd just like to see some consistency.

I agree. I've never thought the ignore list should affect PVE queues. Maybe it's because PVE can be done outside of random queues, where PVP cannot.

Edited by kvandertulip

"It's ok for ignore lists to work for PVE content, but as a PVP'er, no one should be able to prevent me from being grouped with them, no matter how toxic (or bad) I am, If they can't handle me, that's their problem."

I think the problem here is that someone may think another is bad simply because of a single game and ignore them. Or ignore you because you play a class they deem inferior to others.

Imagine, people ignoring mercs/mandos prior to the 5.0 patch because they sucked.

An ignore list should not be used to keep others from playing... it is meant to not see their spam/profanity/verbal attacks. Not to keep someone from playing/enjoying content.

I see more problems with this than just "ignore because bad."

I think the problem here is that someone may think another is bad simply because of a single game and ignore them. Or ignore you because you play a class they deem inferior to others.

Imagine, people ignoring mercs/mandos prior to the 5.0 patch because they sucked.

An ignore list should not be used to keep others from playing... it is meant to not see their spam/profanity/verbal attacks. Not to keep someone from playing/enjoying content.

I see more problems with this than just "ignore because bad."

The ignore list is not solely "meant to not see their spam/profanity/verbal attacks." That is one of the functions of the ignore list, but the only one.

The ignore list is also intended to ensure that players can choose not to be randomly grouped with players with whom they do not wish to be grouped.

The ignore list is not solely "meant to not see their spam/profanity/verbal attacks." That is one of the functions of the ignore list, but the only one.

The ignore list is also intended to ensure that players can choose not to be randomly grouped with players with whom they do not wish to be grouped.

What has this got to do with Server merge i honestly thought this thread was about " Server Merge Discussion "

What has this got to do with Server merge i honestly thought this thread was about " Server Merge Discussion "

That it is.

Another one of those "non-technical" concerns regarding server merges, however, is an individual player's option to avoid being grouped with other players he/she may find "less than desirable". Hence, the ignore list comes into play.

Those would be two of those "other non-technical issues", right there.

I guess you may have missed all the threads asking for many of the non-instanced heroics to be changed, SPECIFICALLY because of "objective stealing" and other issues with over population and limited quest objectives in the open world environments.

Unfortunately, it is my understanding (and I may be incorrect) that BW has indicated that they have no plans to make any changes to the 1-50 content.

Right so issues identified next logical step in a constructive discussion is discussing possible solutions. More instances would be a start, also addressing the 1-50 content because what BWA said in the past doesn't neccessarily need to ring true now especially now it's not under Ben Irving's watch.

Latency not really an issue from my opinion because I'm not talking about merging different geographic locations.

Ok thats fine that this particular MMO wasn't designed for such, but 6 years later here we are low pop servers etc..., so what should we do in order to ensure the majority of people are happy? I think the biggest problem here is if a merge does occur there needs to be some sort of compensation for those of us who don't want the merge to happen in the first place. Again I ask what can they do in order to appease those of us with specific names, or have dropped alot of money for strong holds?

Compensation? No, the problems should be sorted so people aren't put out via losses. Compensation just because "I didn't want to merge" though is just silly.

And as far as your solution for preventing node stealing, that's putting ALOT of faith in the coders to be able to properly code, without breaking anything either mind you, and make sure mobs tied to a node actually works. Sorry but after all these years and all those nasty little bugs that still haven't been addressed let alone squashed I'm hesitant on believing they have the capability to fix this. Maybe I'm being pessimitically naive but given their track record lately I'm skeptical. Hey if they can by all means do it, it would make my day to have a failsafe system in place to prevent people from stealing objectives from others. But I doubt they will devote their time and limited resources to this when there are other things they wish to do, that frankly are a bit more important >.>. Anyway I just hope they can figure this out without pissing too many people off *sigh*. As it stands though I'm perfectly happy where I'm at right now.

I don't think bringing BWA's ability to be able to fix issues or not should really come into this as we have no idea what they can or can't do. Once you go down that alley you might as well say they should never do anything ever because it might break something else.

A lot of good discussions going on here. Keep it up! :D

1. If guilds cannot keep their Guild Ship, then merging servers shouldn't happen.

SOLUTION(S)?

A. Transfer Guild Ship but warn that all decorations need to be taken down or they will be lost.

B. Guild Bank should also be completely empty. Anything left will be lost.

C. Guilds will have to re-form at the destination server.

Having to reform the guild on the destination server will be a lot of work, but with the amount of information involved I believe that it is a fair compromise as long as Guild Ships are transferred.

2. If people lose their outfits in Outfit Designer, then merging servers shouldn't happen.

SOLUTION(S)?

A. All outfit slots must be left intact because not everyone has enough space to save every single piece of gear.

B. All outfit slots must be left intact because some of the gear is no longer obtainable.

The Outfit Designer slots are a very personal thing to players. Losing an outfit that is no longer available would not be fair to the player. However, is it even possible for the Dev Team to be able to do this? If not, then what would be considered a fair compromise?

As far as I am concerned, the two above items are deal-breakers.

If the Dev Team cannot come up with any viable solutions for these issues, then the proposed server merger(s) should be postponed until they are addressed and a fair compromise is reached. I encourage everyone to discuss and make suggestions on how a possible compromise can be reached. We all need to focus on the solution, not the problem. Everyone is aware of the problems involved, so let's switch tactics and focus on finding solutions. :)

KC

1. If guilds cannot keep their Guild Ship, then merging servers shouldn't happen.

SOLUTION(S)?

A. Transfer Guild Ship but warn that all decorations need to be taken down or they will be lost.

Having to reform the guild on the destination server will be a lot of work, but with the amount of information involved I believe that it is a fair compromise as long as Guild Ships are transferred.

2. If people lose their outfits in Outfit Designer, then merging servers shouldn't happen.

SOLUTION(S)?

A. All outfit slots must be left intact because not everyone has enough space to save every single piece of gear.

B. All outfit slots must be left intact because some of the gear is no longer obtainable.

The Outfit Designer slots are a very personal thing to players. Losing an outfit that is no longer available would not be fair to the player. However, is it even possible for the Dev Team to be able to do this? If not, then what would be considered a fair compromise?

As far as I am concerned, the two above items are deal-breakers.

If the Dev Team cannot come up with any viable solutions for these issues, then the proposed server merger(s) should be postponed until they are addressed and a fair compromise is reached. I encourage everyone to discuss and make suggestions on how a possible compromise can be reached. We all need to focus on the solution, not the problem. Everyone is aware of the problems involved, so let's switch tactics and focus on finding solutions. :)

KC

I don't see why the devs couldn't easily come up with solutions. It seems the bulk of the people being resistant are the ones worried about guild transfers, Outfit designer and various unlocks, naming issues, and rp'ers. After those types of mad people then there literally just a few who are advocating for keeping servers unmerged, but they don't seem to understand the health of the game, or the perception it creates. So if the devs can come up with viable solutions to the above, I think mergers would go off without a hitch. This thread has many good ideas, so hopefully they will implement some of them and move forward with megaservers.

I realize this.

Yes... and I said it is a crappy way of doing it as explained in the examples I gave that you seem to ignore.

SOLUTION(S)?

This is in fact a deal breaker the way you have presented it. Having to disassemble the guild move everything out of guild banks and move it to the new server on characters is not acceptable (that's no better really than it is right now). Do you have any idea how much stuff is in some guild banks that would need to be pulled out and where would you put it. People in old guilds have their legacy and cargo bays nearly full as well. Then there is how many decorations you are talking about having to take down and re-install. Transferring the guild ship itself is the smallest part of the problem

This is getting frustrating. You think that there is an agreement about what needs to be done and then someone comes along and implies they have read the posts in the thread by saying "A lot of good discussions going on here" and then posts something that goes completely against what has been discussed and how its not that big a deal to destroy guilds and make them reform on another server. To which someone responds by calling the people resistant to mergers for a lot of reasons "mad people". You know what, I am getting mad about this.

1) Guild assets must transfer intact (no emptying guild banks, taking down decorations, reforming guilds on the destination server)

2) Personal assets must be protected (pretty much the same ones as guild assets) including overlapping legacies

3) Chat monitoring to weed out the toxic elements

4) RPers get their own server

Right so issues identified next logical step in a constructive discussion is discussing possible solutions. More instances would be a start, also addressing the 1-50 content because what BWA said in the past doesn't neccessarily need to ring true now especially now it's not under Ben Irving's watch.

Latency not really an issue from my opinion because I'm not talking about merging different geographic locations.

Right on... solutions to the issues. Not just a constant bombardment with the same issues being mentioned again and again... usually by the same people.

EXAMPLE:

*If* They can correct the issues mentioned like flagship, decos, names, guild rosters, strongholds, banks and available toon limit - what else is there and what are options of helping with it?

Also for people that keep bringing up cross server.

CROSS SERVER QUEUE is not happening. It has been said over and over. But guess what has happened? Server merges (2 of them). ESPECIALLY when we already know how they have handled population issues in the past by merging not cross server. They have said several times that it would not be done because of "a *significant* challenge" - Emphasis on significant.

Evidence for my statement you say?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6398419&postcount=6

*Snip*

We've taken a hard look at Cross Server Queuing in the past and accomplishing it is a *significant* challenge that would take a lot of time away from other things we are working on. Emphasis on significant.

:jawa_smile:

This is from 4 years ago. Do you think they have gained resources and would be able to accomplish this now? Considering this statement was made about 6 months after the game's release.

EXAMPLE:

*If* They can correct the issues mentioned like flagship, decos, names, guild rosters, strongholds, banks and available toon limit - what else is there and what are options of helping with it?

Its fine to keep saying that but people keep posting in this thread saying they are no big deal. You don't really expect people not to respond to that do you?

This is getting frustrating. You think that there is an agreement about what needs to be done and then someone comes along and implies they have read the posts in the thread by saying "A lot of good discussions going on here" and then posts something that goes completely against what has been discussed and how its not that big a deal to destroy guilds and make them reform on another server. To which someone responds by calling the people resistant to mergers for a lot of reasons "mad people". You know what, I am getting mad about this.

1) Guild assets must transfer intact (no emptying guild banks, taking down decorations, reforming guilds on the destination server)

2) Personal assets must be protected (pretty much the same ones as guild assets) including overlapping legacies

3) Chat monitoring to weed out the toxic elements

4) RPers get their own server

As far as number 4 on your list just leave Ebon Hawk alone and it will be fine. Ebon Hawk is essentially a roleplay server and unlike some of the people screaming to merge all servers, Ebon Hawk has a good population.

Right on... solutions to the issues. Not just a constant bombardment with the same issues being mentioned again and again... usually by the same people.

EXAMPLE:

Also for people that keep bringing up cross server.

CROSS SERVER QUEUE is not happening. It has been said over and over. But guess what has happened? Server merges (2 of them). ESPECIALLY when we already know how they have handled population issues in the past by merging not cross server. They have said several times that it would not be done because of "a *significant* challenge" - Emphasis on significant.

Evidence for my statement you say?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6398419&postcount=6

*Snip*

This is from 4 years ago. Do you think they have gained resources and would be able to accomplish this now? Considering this statement was made about 6 months after the game's release.

Let's look at those previous server merges. They did NOT transfer guilds and guild assets. They did not even ATTEMPT to do so. They blew up guilds and expected those guilds to reform on new servers, possibly losing their guild name in the process. Then, they took months to restore some, if not many, guild's banks, and that did not include any items in those guild banks.

Those were years ago. Do you think they have gained resources and would be able to accomplish this now, especially with all the additional guild assets and personal assets in play now?

I don't see why the devs couldn't easily come up with solutions. It seems the bulk of the people being resistant are the ones worried about guild transfers, Outfit designer and various unlocks, naming issues, and rp'ers. After those types of mad people then there literally just a few who are advocating for keeping servers unmerged, but they don't seem to understand the health of the game, or the perception it creates. So if the devs can come up with viable solutions to the above, I think mergers would go off without a hitch. This thread has many good ideas, so hopefully they will implement some of them and move forward with megaservers.

Actually you seem to be ignoring the fact that not all servers need to be merged. Some yes all no. People have told you over and over that some servers, such as Ebon Hawk, are fine but you are ignoring that and you are still pushing for mega servers. To me it looks like you have some sort of agenda. Some servers yes need merged but NOT all .

As far as number 4 on your list just leave Ebon Hawk alone and it will be fine. Ebon Hawk is essentially a roleplay server and unlike some of the people screaming to merge all servers, Ebon Hawk has a good population.

Sorry. I should have said leave RP servers intact. I forgot about the west coast RP server. RPers get there own server was meant to be Ebon Hawk isn't merged with anything

It's always the same forum crusaders posting in this thread about losing stuff and these people post in multiple threads and like to complain and if they don't get there way they are like a child not getting that toy.

The forums are as toxic as the harbinger with the locals with pitch forks coming at all corners to defend that birds nest from poachers and this is why the forums are not a solid foundation to show the true % of players thoughts on this only an account based survey could show the real truth.

It's always the same forum crusaders posting in this thread about losing stuff and these people post in multiple threads and like to complain and if they don't get there way they are like a child not getting that toy.

The forums are as toxic as the harbinger with the locals with pitch forks coming at all corners to defend that birds nest from poachers and this is why the forums are not a solid foundation to show the true % of players thoughts on this only an account based survey could show the real truth.

Remind us all again.

Which side of this debate is the one crying to BW to change the status quo?

Its fine to keep saying that but people keep posting in this thread saying they are no big deal. You don't really expect people not to respond to that do you?

I did not say they were no big deal. My point is simple.

If they are reading this thread as they claim, they have saw all the pros and cons / nays and yays / what we would like to see / what we want to happen and what we don't.

So saying "that is has not happened before" over and over is not helping... we all know what happened when they did it in the past. This topic is about a FUTURE merger. not how things went in the past.

Like many, I lost names, strongholds, my guilds flagship etc. We know the bad, lets point them out and talk about them so they get resolved for when the next merger happens - and it will.

An accounts based survey where players get one vote for each year they have been subscribed to the game (thus giving people who have been with the game the longest more say in the outcome since they have the most invested) would be a good idea.