Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

I'm putting my vote in Bioware to do the right choice what ever that choice is i'll be happy with as in with servers.

Thus far, their decision has been not to merge servers but that decision is not accepted by many (Eric in the opening to this thread even said they had nothing to discuss on this topic at this time). Like you, if Bioware chose to merge servers I would accept it. I would like to see the issues that have been brought up dealt with first (Guilds are very important as they are the biggest social structure in this game) and how the merger went would probably determine if I stayed in the game but I would not blame my leaving on Bioware for their decision. It would be that the game became something I did not want to play anymore.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compromise cannot be thrown out the window. We all have to be realistic about what the Dev Team can and cannot do and I think we all could use some feedback from Keith regarding what can and cannot be done. Until that happens we all need to keep posting and exploring options, ideas, and solutions.

No one's ideas are good or bad. All of us have opinions and have a right to post them. Being critical of someone's opinion is fine if done properly, but saying someone is wrong and/or flaming them is completely irrelevant to this discussion. I am also realistic that some people could care less and are going to post whatever they want because, by God, they are right and everyone else is wrong. :rolleyes:

Hey Keith! We could really use some feedback and/or information about some of our ideas. Thank you!

KC

Let's look at those previous server merges. They did NOT transfer guilds and guild assets. They did not even ATTEMPT to do so. They blew up guilds and expected those guilds to reform on new servers, possibly losing their guild name in the process. Then, they took months to restore some, if not many, guild's banks, and that did not include any items in those guild banks.

How did I know you would chime in and regurgitate stuff you have already posted 120398120938012983 times in this thread?

My point is if they fix those issues, what would be other issues... did you even read it?

I know what happened in those mergers. I, like many had to live it and deal with the loss.

Those were years ago. Do you think they have gained resources and would be able to accomplish this now, especially with all the additional guild assets and personal assets in play now?

I would say they are closer to mergers and the ability to do that. I would say that because they have done it 2 times in the past, it is much farther along (in code) then cross server queues and if we would like a cleaner merger, we should let them know what needs to be fixed (if at all possible) before doing another.

Constantly crying about what the issue(s) were in a previous merger when someone has already stated that *if* said item is fixed is redundant and ridicules.

As in if those complaints of yours are resolved, you have no reason to constantly complain about them.

I think the general consensus is that what happened to guilds in the last merger cannot happen again. I'm not sure what we can add to this because it will largely be a coding issue. The only suggestion I would have is to create a system that effectively makes the Guild a character for the purpose of the transfer. All characters have strongholds, cargo holds, and decorations. Can the Guild assets be fit into that model or is it far to vast.

I think the general consensus is that what happened to guilds in the last merger cannot happen again. I'm not sure what we can add to this because it will largely be a coding issue. The only suggestion I would have is to create a system that effectively makes the Guild a character for the purpose of the transfer. All characters have strongholds, cargo holds, and decorations. Can the Guild assets be fit into that model or is it far to vast.

I cannot answer that.

What I can say is that, at this time, even a character transfer will not transfer all of a character's assets intact.

I can only speak for myself, but have no reason to believe "making a guild a character" for transfer purposes will allow a guild to transfer intact along with all of their assets also intact.

I think the general consensus is that what happened to guilds in the last merger cannot happen again.

Bingo.

For obvious reasons, nobody wants to part with the stuff they and their guilds have earned.

The game is too fragile for another "lose your name and all your stuff" merger.

You missed the back half of that quote. Carry on.

Sorry, I was just quoting that bit that has been said more than once - that they aren't planning anything. They can't actually come out and say they aren't going to do it, the same way they can say they definitely are, until they DEFINITELY are. This thread is merely a distraction, to keep you all occupied for a couple of months, while Bioware continue to do nothing.

If you think otherwise, then that's on you.

Edited by CrazyCT

How did I know you would chime in and regurgitate stuff you have already posted 120398120938012983 times in this thread?

My point is if they fix those issues, what would be other issues... did you even read it?

I know what happened in those mergers. I, like many had to live it and deal with the loss.

The point is that while BW made a statement years ago that cross server had "significant" issues to overcome, their ACTIONS at the time of the previous server merges, as well as their "silence" on the subject of server merges and the indefinite extension of the 90 CC transfer sale, would seem to indicate that there are also "significant" issues with smooth and seamless merges.

Anyone who was here at the time knows how those previous server merges went down, and how much of a nightmare they were, and that was without all the additional personal and guild assets now in play. We have seen no indication that BW is any more capable of merging servers without the loss of personal or guilds assets now than they were at the time of the previous server merges. In fact, as I pointed out, all signs from BW would seem to indicate the opposite.

I'm not saying that the BW statement regarding cross server queuing is invalid, but to hold that statement up as "gospel" that cross server will never happen, yet in the same breath ignore all the signs and indications that server merges will not be any less of a nightmare now, citing a mystical "what if" as your reasoning is illogical, to say the least.

I would say they are closer to mergers and the ability to do that. I would say that because they have done it 2 times in the past, it is much farther along (in code) then cross server queues and if we would like a cleaner merger, we should let them know what needs to be fixed (if at all possible) before doing another.

Constantly crying about what the issue(s) were in a previous merger when someone has already stated that *if* said item is fixed is redundant and ridicules.

As in if those complaints of yours are resolved, you have no reason to constantly complain about them.

Having done two mergers in the past does not necessarily mean that they are closer to a "smooth and seamless" server merge in which no one loses anything and no one is negatively impacted than they are to cross server queuing.

Saying "IF" the issues of the previous merge were solved does not magically make those problems go away and does not magically make them solved. They still exist and cannot just be ignored in the "hopes" that they might be solved.

Sorry, I was just quoting that bit that has been said more than once

Just wanna pop in and say, keep the feedback coming! The team has been actively discussing the thread and we appreciate everyone's viewpoints.

-eric

Here is the second time they said it in case you missed it. Carry on.

You missed the back half of that quote. Carry on.

Your quote does not contradict CrazyCT's in any way. Neither of Eric's posts in this thread have indicated that BW has anything to say on the subject of server merges.

In fact, the second quote says that they are "discussing" this thread and appreciate everyone's viewpoints, not that they are working on resolving the issues surrounding server merges, or that they are even planning to work on resolving those issues.

I highly doubt this is the case, but their "discussions" could simply be "Well, we got them distracted again. How do we keep them distracted?" or "How do we let them know that we still cannot transfer guilds with guild assets intact or transfer personal assets, and that if we merge servers, all those personal and guild assets will be lost without inciting a riot?"

We only know from Eric's statement that they are "discussing" the thread, not the contents of those discussions. To make any assumptions about the content of those discussions is a mistake, IMO.

Edited by Ratajack

Merge all EU Servers, all US East Coast Servers and all EU West Coast servers to have three megaservers.

For the EU Megaserver, add one PVE and one PVP instance for each language (in the same way you have PVP and PVE instances on each server now). That would be best for the whole game.

On a side note, perhaps you could also add a Roleplay instance on each server where the roleplayers can converge and roleplay without all the lollers and trollers to disturb their immersion.

Agree with that. I think it's not that hard to let people create a channel to talk and invite only people they want to. Like that, everyone will be happy, especially the RPs.

So again, a big +1 for Gizmo's proposition.

Sorry for my english, not my native language.

Agree with that. I think it's not that hard to let people create a channel to talk and invite only people they want to. Like that, everyone will be happy, especially the RPs.

So again, a big +1 for Gizmo's proposition.

Sorry for my english, not my native language.

Once again, a separate RP instance will not work, due to the trolls looking to grief the RP'ers, and the ease with which they can do exactly that with only a separate instance on the same server.

I disagree that RP servers should be separated. Merge ALL them by region.

If we are going with MEGA-Merged servers then we should do that across the board. (Region based).

I do 100% agree that the Harbinger is a toxic cesspool that needs some severe parental intervention in the form of some warning shots and scaling of BAN's. It's above and beyond any reasonable MMO to have to deal with that crap in general chat. Even the guild spam is pretty stupid at this point in time.

Some RP love is still needed: (AFTER we clean up General Chat). I totally think they (RPr's) should have an instance they can load into by default with some sort of setting (avoiding PVE/PVP instances at least on fleet). Avoid the moron's dancing on bar's, etc.

This will go a long way for increasing content utilization on a larger scale.

Compensation? No, the problems should be sorted so people aren't put out via losses. Compensation just because "I didn't want to merge" though is just silly.

I don't think bringing BWA's ability to be able to fix issues or not should really come into this as we have no idea what they can or can't do. Once you go down that alley you might as well say they should never do anything ever because it might break something else.

So you are saying those of us who would be forced to merge are SOL? I don't quite think that's fair and I do believe that would hurt subscriptions even more. I honestly wouldn't want to deal with having to buy all those legacy cargo slots again, not to mention dropping 10+ mil on another yavin 4 stronghold, (and now there's talk of yet another stronghold in the works -_-) buy all the expansions for it, then do all the decorating again. I honestly cannot fathom people doing this. Hell if they want to thats fine but I'm sure there are PLENTY of people that don't want to have this. And thats just THAT 1 issue what about the bigger issue: character names. I know for sure I'd be pretty pissed if I was forced to change some of my characters that for me I spent alot of time building up and naming them. I'm by no means an RPer but I do take pride in my putting effort into good names and such. No I think it's very much an issue that needs to be addressed and it's not a simple bandaid solution. Either they revamp the system so they transfer the legacy stuff over or don't merge because that's plain stupid. If it's not hurting YOU why should those of us who don't want merges anyway be forced I'm going to fight this tooth and nail and drill it that there are OTHER MEANS to deal with this problem than to force merges.

And btw they are ALWAYS going to break something. That's kinda silly and naive to think otherwise so no need to say anything :p.

Also I get that this engine is a code nightmare, but WoW had the ability for cross server queueing and it is an older game. I'm willing to bet they can at least attempt to make a system that's capable of doing it. They've added quite alot as it is so I don't see how this would be an impossible system.

If we are going with MEGA-Merged servers then we should do that across the board. (Region based).

I do 100% agree that the Harbinger is a toxic cesspool that needs some severe parental intervention in the form of some warning shots and scaling of BAN's. It's above and beyond any reasonable MMO to have to deal with that crap in general chat. Even the guild spam is pretty stupid at this point in time.

Some RP love is still needed: (AFTER we clean up General Chat). I totally think they (RPr's) should have an instance they can load into by default with some sort of setting (avoiding PVE/PVP instances at least on fleet). Avoid the moron's dancing on bar's, etc.

It has been explained at least a dozen times already how RP instances will not work. All those 'morons dancing on bars' you talk about can just go to an RP instance too, as can all the people who harass, troll, and grief RPers. I am so tired of me and other people having to go over this again and again, when it's always non-RPers saying "RPers don't need their own server, surely not!" You don't get it, we do.

So I been hearing that Ebon Hawk has a low population and should be merged........ :mon_trap:

Casi with how often you've been saying the opposite I'm surprised it isn't in your sig by now hehe.

What I'm not really understanding is the opposition to merge all 3 RP servers into one RP server (if there is any). There is of course Begeren Colony being the only one that is West Coast, but even if that was merged to an East Coast it should hardly affect play-ability. Seems the RP community would only benefit from it.

And speaking of the RP community, something I've always wondered is on these RP servers how much role-playing actually goes on when looking at the entire servers population (GARPing, game action role-playing, yes I just made it up). My experience on Jung Ma back in the early days of the game was after playing on the server for one year the amount of RP'ing that I saw in the world was minimal at best.

It has been explained at least a dozen times already how RP instances will not work. All those 'morons dancing on bars' you talk about can just go to an RP instance too, as can all the people who harass, troll, and grief RPers. I am so tired of me and other people having to go over this again and again, when it's always non-RPers saying "RPers don't need their own server, surely not!" You don't get it, we do.

I sometimes think harassment is crossing the line of griefing and trolling. So sometimes I think you have to accept a certain degree of griefing and trolling because it's part of the MMO experience, like a flock of birds crapping on your car and somehow missing every other car around you is a part of life; **** just happens, and sometimes it actually does fall from the sky. Sometimes the Jawa jokes just happen in General Chat.

Edited by Fireswraith

I sometimes think harassment is crossing the line of griefing and trolling. So sometimes I think you have to accept a certain degree of griefing and trolling because it's part of the MMO experience, like a flock of birds crapping on your car and somehow missing every other car around you is a part of life; **** just happens, and sometimes it actually does fall from the sky. Sometimes the Jawa jokes just happen in General Chat.

{Yup, we should just accept racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, bigotry, and all other types of intolerance. The world would be a better place if we just accepted it as a part of everyday life, instead of pandering to these people to try and help them avoid it.}

Edited by CrazyCT

So sometimes I think you have to accept a certain degree of griefing and trolling because it's part of the MMO experience
This sounds a lot like something that was said after the recent attacks in the UK.

The ONLY solution is to keep seperate RP servers, period. RP instances are non-solutions. The 'solutions' for RP'ers suggested by those in favor of mega servers are extremely disingeneous, because it's glaringly obvious they only have the interest of the PvP/OPs crowd (themselves) at heart.

Live and let live is absolutely not their thing.

Edited by Tisaren

{Yup, we should just accept racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, bigotry, and all other types of intolerance. The world would be a better place if we just accepted it as a part of everyday life, instead of pandering to these people to try and help them avoid it.}

Agree with this. No amount of this is acceptable. There should be a zero tolerance policy with this. At this point I am thinking there are one or two reasons people don't want to leave the RP servers separate

1) They feel that somehow this would reduce the pool of players that queue through Groupfinder or use LFG in chat thus reducing the rate of "pops" for those systems.

2) They are afraid that the people who don't want to move to megaservers would move to the RP servers with the same effect.

There is absolutely no reason why the RP servers cannot stay separate. As has been stated many times What is the reason these servers can't remain separate? We see a lot of posts that say I don't understand why they should be separate but nobody ever states a reason why they should be merged other than effectively "just because"

Edited by DWho

Again with this. NO RP instances will not work. While Pvp instances work a RP instance will not work. Griefers/trolls/etc can still go to a RP instance and interfere with a RP instance. They can and most likely will go to a RP instance just to aggravate RP. There is no way to keep them from doing that. You go to a Pvp instance and grief a pvp player, boom they kill you. You go to a RP instance and grief a RP instance nothing can be done. The person dancing on a bar is the least of the problem.

Furthermore, I am going to say this again NOT all servers need to be merged. Some servers have a good population and Ebon Hawk is one. Some servers yea, need merged but not all of them.