The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Quality of gear in crates are the problem, not quantity.

McHondy

Greatly increase the rate at which you earn Command Crates. Our goal is that you earn one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average).

What's in a Command crate is a bigger problem then just getting more crates.

There are way to much 'junk' in the drop table, like green 228s, 232s, and 238s. Opening a crate and seeing a item like that is more like slap in the face then a reward.

Second part is duplicates, somehow finding a way to make them useful..

Overall the randomness of gear in the crate is a bigger problem then the amount of crates you get.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. All they need to do is fix the RNG so its more forgiving, and a lot of the issues and gripes would go away.

It's great that they reinstituted a vendor system again, but that's still pretty harsh in how it's implemented.

I get that this is top tier equipment and shouldn't be a breeze to get, but it needs to be fair.

There are way to much 'junk' in the drop table, like green 228s, 232s, and 238s. Opening a crate and seeing a item like that is more like slap in the face then a reward.

Overall the randomness of gear in the crate is a bigger problem then the amount of crates you get.

Agree with everything except the "slap in the face" part, it more like a "shot to the crotch"

And notice in all of their listening, of hearing feedback, etc. This is the BIGGEST thing players mention having a problem with an it is the ONE thing BioWare won't address other then Ben being stupid and really running people's anger meters up higher by saying, "RNG is exciting".

And this is why this title will never recover from this mess. Good news is, the decision makers at SWTOR will get to have their names remembered in video game history when this gets written up for years (like NGE did) of things NOT to do in a game.

And this is why this title will never recover from this mess. Good news is, the decision makers at SWTOR will get to have their names remembered in video game history when this gets written up for years (like NGE did) of things NOT to do in a game.

Oh, come on, its not NGE bad. :p It's actually a pretty cool concept, just needs to feel more rewarding to play. So yes, increase the crate rate and yes, increase the quality of items.

And notice in all of their listening, of hearing feedback, etc. This is the BIGGEST thing players mention having a problem with an it is the ONE thing BioWare won't address other then Ben being stupid and really running people's anger meters up higher by saying, "RNG is exciting".

They won't address it because they don't want to fix it. They're still convinced a punishing Asian-style F2P MMO grind is what is going to keep people subbed, despite all evidence to the contrary. So they're saying they'll give us more spins at the roulette wheel with **** odds to feed into the Gambler's Fallacy, where people will think more RNG crates will improve their odds of getting gear.

Newsflash: it won't, not really, not so long as every box has the same **** odds. It doesn't matter how many crates you open, every crate has the same minuscule odds of dropping something useful instead of a bunch of garbage you'll just disintegrate.

This cannot be stressed enough because it is clear from ever post Eric makes to comments on the Live Streams they dont get. They clearly have nothing but non competitive casual players on their staff or they just dont really play the game, otherwise this point wouldnt need to be drilled into their head.

No matter how many crates they give us as long as they almost always return crap it is unrewarding and not fun. With no catch up mechanic and no way to get your entry gear and set bonus without hundreds of hours of grinding, and it is just to get hopefully start to close the gap, players will continue to unsub.

Waiting till next Tuesday to up CXP gain will not do anything to stem the loses, without addressing crap dropping crates.

And if you are a new player or coming back to the game, might as well just hold off till summer, you will always be behind. My friend, just came back, doesnt have a 208 set bonus or 30 million credits, he left when the wealthy title was impressive. He has no options to catch up so he can PvP at close to a competitive level. I was so excited for him to return and then this **** storm has continued and now he's out.

Eric please thank the BW staff for me, nothing better then friends returning and then being driven away by completely unreasonable and undefendable gearing changes.

Edited by Avicii

Oh, come on, its not NGE bad. :p It's actually a pretty cool concept, just needs to feel more rewarding to play. So yes, increase the crate rate and yes, increase the quality of items.

It's a pretty cool concept for the same people who find rows and rows of slot machines exciting. It's an addictive behavior and BW is fostering it with the RNG crates in all the forms they use them. After all, the next one just might be "the big one".

Just to add one more thing to this, I have a Tier 3 Merc, Tier 2 Sniper and a T1 Operative/Scoundrel combo.

Due to doing a few OP's and being able to craft 234s and 240s for left side and weapon the Op/Scoundrel combo now have 6//7 230 set bonus, but are still rank 54 and 19, and NOTHING at all from the tier 1 command crates will be a upgrade... Lots of CXP to grind for nothing at all!

So yeah alts are not welcome at all in 5.x..........

Edited by McHondy

Quality is relative. It's not that the stats of gear below the highest level in game were so horribly bad. A very good way to make sure everyone gets the best gear in game easily is to remove all gear above rating 230 in the game and scale every existing gear of higher than 230 down accordingly. Everyone would be able to obtain the best gear in game easily. Problem solved.

Quality is relative. It's not that the stats of gear below the highest level in game were so horribly bad. A very good way to make sure everyone gets the best gear in game easily is to remove all gear above rating 230 in the game and scale every existing gear of higher than 230 down accordingly. Everyone would be able to obtain the best gear in game easily. Problem solved.

And that would make people who grinded to Tier II and Tier III or crafted/bought 230 + gear quit as there time and matts spent would be wasted. Simple solution for Crate quality is to just remove the blues and greens.

Edited by FerkWork

The idea of the command system is great, it made me willing to run sm with anyone and teach new players all the things I have learned and at the same time feel like everyone from a first op player and those who have done nim many times could play together. The problem lies in the reward for your time.

First the cxp earned was not well balanced for time invested. They tipped the scales in favor of golds then destroyed it, then it was pvp and finally vet uprisings. Now if those rewards were balanced then it wouldn't have been a big issue we wouldn't feel like hamsters on a wheel doing one thing over and over.

Second the contents of the crates were completely random. One person I knew had a complete set of bis 230 in 60 crates and others got 2 pieces or less in 60 crates. That's way to wide a margin. Second was the mind numbing duplicates that dropped. I speak from experience almost 600 crates opened for my jugs and guardians. I have yet to receives a single set of set piece legs any level 230 234 236 240 or 242. I have opened around 300 tier three crates and for 242 I have 3 implants 3 wrists 1 glove 7 relics not one is a relic used by anyone and schematics for the main 4 relics (2 each) and the 4 implants (crit alac shield abs). I think the quality is acceptable but the duplicates are a serious issue. Getting 7 relics wouldn't be such an issue if I got 1 of each type but 3 of one type and 3 of another and 0 of the 4 main ones is just badly written code. Would it be so hard to make the rng set to pass out a variety of everything possible before it gives a duplicate?

Sure then it is simply do the work get the rewards and less issues of will I ever get a set of legs and more of its just a matter of time. Fix that and a lot of issues would be eliminated.

And that would make people who grinded to Tier II and Tier III or crafted/bought 230 + gear quit as there time and matts spent would be wasted. Simple solution for Crate quality is to just remove the blues and greens.

Yeah, well, I don't suppose they actually do it. My point is that the only thing that makes perfectly viable gear worthless is that there is better gear. The gear which is easily obtainable, per se, is good enough.

Amid all the well-documented issues with 5.0 and 5.1, one constant is definitely the absolute crap that constitutes 95% percent of what you find in crates. The only thing worse than the grind to get a crate is the knowledge that the odds of a good drop are beyond extremely remote. It's almost insulting to open one of these crap crates. The chance for quality gear needs to be ramped up a ton. Also, the amount we get for trashing the crap in the crates should give much more CXP.

Remember, everything you get in the crates is useful to your alts, outside of duplicate set armorings and left-side gear.

Quality of the gear is fine, the problem is that most of it is only high quality if you care about alts. And alts aren't very attractive right now.

The problems with GC are way more than drop rate of quality gear and are well documented in the forum so I'm not going back over it here.

I will say this, the GC system works just like sot machines. It preys on the exact same personality type that slot machines prey on. The worst part is, the people designing it, know it. They bet that most of the players were that type of adictive personality. That next pull of the handle might be the "big one" so you keep pulling. GC is the same thing. That next crate might be the "big one" so you keep grinding, hours on end, in the hope that next crate might be "the big one." Most of the time it's not. Most of the time you've wasted your time. Personality types that aren't easily hooked by slot machines, that aren't that addictive type are the ones walking away in disgust.

Edited by DanNV

Remember, everything you get in the crates is useful to your alts, outside of duplicate set armorings and left-side gear.

Quality of the gear is fine, the problem is that most of it is only high quality if you care about alts. And alts aren't very attractive right now.

1 Set of Legacy gear with blue 240 filled up, and that will cover any dps/heal alts...

My main dps set gear cover every need for the dps and healers and my guardian tank gear for the tanks. I've used my old tank off hand armoring in a focus so I cover everything that I need for all the force classes.

So all those blue and green drop and all the duplicates are worthless and just good for a tiny amount of CXP. That amount is so low that it's insulting to get so little from the work to get another worthless crate filled with junk.

1 Set of Legacy gear with blue 240 filled up, and that will cover any dps/heal alts...

My main dps set gear cover every need for the dps and healers and my guardian tank gear for the tanks. I've used my old tank off hand armoring in a focus so I cover everything that I need for all the force classes.

So all those blue and green drop and all the duplicates are worthless and just good for a tiny amount of CXP. That amount is so low that it's insulting to get so little from the work to get another worthless crate filled with junk.

You still need to change set armorings if you wanna use the one legacy shell for all alts method. Not very convenient.

Also that just covers right-side gear, not main/off-hand and left-side (which you get schematics for).

They seem to be listening to the same people who didn't complain about this system when it was on the test server...:rolleyes:

For GC/CXP ranks 1-90, every box should contain a purple set piece with bonus. It's STARTER gear, not end game gear. 91-180 should be 50% chance for Legendary gear, 181-300 should be 25% chance for Legendary gear.

I like your idea it won't make this game a hell for new players. When new player comes to this game now he has some green useless gear without a set bonus... being stomped on warzones by 240-242 geared players and bolster isn't helping much. Anyway i think 91-180 must 28-30 % only because with 50% is way too much and we don't want people get bored quit fast like it happened pre 4.0 when people got the best gear for days and than were crying on forum that there are nothing to do in swtor...

I like your idea it won't make this game a hell for new players. When new player comes to this game now he has some green useless gear without a set bonus... being stomped on warzones by 240-242 geared players and bolster isn't helping much. Anyway i think 91-180 must 28-30 % only because with 50% is way too much and we don't want people get bored quit fast like it happened pre 4.0 when people got the best gear for days and than were crying on forum that there are nothing to do in swtor...

4.0, despite the lack of anything new besides story, was one of the better times I've had in this game. I leveled and played so many alts it's not even funny. I learned classes I swore I'd never ever play (Curse you Sorc :mad:) and I think i did more content in 4.0 than I'd ever dreamed I'd do after 4 years. Know why? Because gearing alts was easy. Getting toons to where they could compete wasn't a chore. Duplicating mirror classes or additional main toons was quick and fun. Level sync meant I could help, or get helped, no matter what level the other player was.

4.0 lacked new end game content, I 100% agree...but I don't know anyone who left because gearing was too easy.

• Dev Post

The content of the Crates is something we are looking into as well. Keep the feedback coming.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco