Cmon guys, the old gearing system was too complicated

FourPawnBenoni

Ben even said so himself. So changes had to be made.

This was too hard:

Basic, Elite, Ultimate

So we went with this:

Common, Glowing, Radiant

And since even that was a headscratcher we went to the far less complicated and completely intuitive:

Hey folks,

Since the launch of Knights of the Eternal Throne, we have received a lot of great feedback about the gearing changes we made through Galactic Command. In this post, I want to highlight the changes we are making next week. However, we know this will not address all of your concerns, so let’s also talk about additional changes we plan to make.

Our primary goal for Game Update 5.1: Defend the Throne was to allow players to work towards specific pieces of gear through PvP and Operations. Additionally, we wanted to provide a means to help players gear their other Characters. Here are the changes coming next week:

• New currency: Command Tokens - This currency comes from Command Crates. Each Crate will drop Command Tokens based on the Tier of the Crate (Tier 1 – 5 tokens, Tier 2 – 8 tokens, Tier 3 – 12 tokens). These tokens are a Legacy-wide currency and will be retroactively granted (based on your Command Rank) when 5.1 launches.
  • New currency: Unassembled Components – This currency is a reward for playing Warzones and Galactic Starfighter and can be used to purchase Unassembled Gear Pieces.
  • New currency: Unassembled Gear Piece - These drop from Operation bosses or are purchased with Unassembled Components and can be turned in along with Command Tokens for specific pieces of gear. The last boss of each Operation has a 100% chance to drop Unassembled Gear Pieces (2 pieces for 8-man, 4 pieces for 16-man). Each other boss in an Operation has an increasing chance to drop them (the second boss having a higher chance than the first boss, and so on). Refer to this forum post to see where each item slot will drop.

With these new currencies, players will be able to go to new vendors and purchase specific items. Here are some of the vendor details:

• Unassembled Component Vendor: On this vendor you can turn in Unassembled Components to purchase a specific Unassembled Gear Piece. You can only purchase Tier 1 Unassembled Pieces in this way. However, you can turn in Tier 1 pieces along with Unassembled Components to upgrade them to Tier 2 and 3 respectively. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.
  • Unassembled Gear Piece Vendor: With this vendor you can turn in one Unassembled Gear Piece for a specific slot (ex: Unassembled Helm Tier 1) along with Command Tokens for that respective piece of gear. Refer to this forum post for more details on this vendor.

The changes listed above are really focused on allowing players to work towards a specific piece of gear. However, we also wanted to allow players to level their alts a bit quicker and so here are some of the changes coming for that:

• New Character Legacy Perk: Increase all Command XP Earned by 2/4/6/8/10%.
  • New Command XP Boost: This can be purchased with Command Tokens and provides a 15% boost (this boost stacks with the Legacy perk but not the MTX boost). This boost only works per Tier at the following costs:
    • Tier 1 – 20 Command Tokens
    • Tier 2 – 28 Command Tokens
    • Tier 3 – 44 Command Tokens

The above changes are coming next week with Game Update 5.1! Additional concerns you have raised are listed below:

Operations Lacking for CXP

We have been looking at all of the places that players can earn CXP and although our intent is that Operations (especially Veteran/Master) would be the best source of CXP, that is not true currently. We have been working to rebalance the CXP gains of Operations across the board so that they are at least on-par with the best sources of CXP in the game. We plan to include these changes with Patch 5.1.1, but we will give you more information on scheduling once we lock it down.

Galactic Command Gearing Alt-unfriendly

One of the biggest concerns expressed is Galactic Command forces a player into working only on one character. Although that wasn’t our intention, we agree with you. For starters, in 5.1 we are implementing the Legacy-wide currency of Command Tokens, legacy bound boosts you can purchase with Command Tokens, and the legacy perk to speed up leveling. We know that isn’t enough, so we are exploring additional options so that when you are playing any character, there is a way to potentially provide benefit to all other characters in your legacy as well. I have no specifics to share at this time, but I am working to have more details available for our January 26th Livestream.

Command Rank Leveling Speed

We monitor Command Ranks across the game, along with player feedback on the rate at which players are leveling. The Legacy perk and additional boost will help speed up leveling, but we will continue to review. Let’s see how it feels after 5.1. We’ll discuss with you and make further adjustments, if needed.

New Endgame Content

We know addressing the gearing concerns is only half of the equation. Whether it came from the forums, social media, or even focus groups, the feedback is that you want more large group and MMO content such as daily areas and Operations. We will be discussing these very topics in our Livestream next Thursday, January 26, 2017, so come join us!

We want to thank all of your for your continued feedback about Galactic Command. Please keep it coming!

-eric

Now if you can't grasp the beauty and simplicity of this gearing grind then I just don't know what to tell you

Edited by FourPawnBenoni

To be fair, we had 11 types of endgame level gear in 4.0

3x crystal gear

3x loot drop gear with better stat distribution

3x High rating set bonus gear

2x Low rating set bonus gear with Expertise

For this we had 24 gear vendors (3x crystals, 1x Ops, 2x PVP per class) and 7 currencies

(green,blue and purple crystals, wz comms, 3 tiers of op tokens)

In 5.1 we have 11 types as well:

5x purple or golden set bonus gear

3x blue gear with worse stat distribution

3x green gear with lower rating and worse stat distribution

And there are 21 gear vendors (5 per class plus the tier 1 pvp vendor) using 5 currencies.

(command tokens, unassembled components, 3 tiers of unassembled gear pieces)

The gear itself is better organised. It's just getting the gear that is a lot more grindy, and the vendors no longer stand neatly in their own niches with a class-sign, how is a new player supposed to find them? :p

Edited by Mubrak

To be fair, we had 11 types of endgame level gear in 4.0

3x crystal gear

3x loot drop gear with better stat distribution

3x High rating set bonus gear

2x Low rating set bonus gear with Expertise

For this we had 24 gear vendors (3x crystals, 1x Ops, 2x PVP per class) and 7 currencies

(green,blue and purple crystals, wz comms, 3 tiers of op tokens)

In 5.1 we have 11 types as well:

5x purple or golden set bonus gear

3x blue gear with worse stat distribution

3x green gear with lower rating and worse stat distribution

And there are 21 gear vendors (5 per class plus the tier 1 pvp vendor) using 5 currencies.

(command tokens, unassembled components, 3 tiers of unassembled gear pieces)

The gear itself is better organised. It's just getting the gear that is a lot more grindy, and the vendors no longer stand neatly in their own niches with a class-sign, how is a new player supposed to find them? :p

and yet...there was never posts on the forum complaining about it was there? BW has a nasty habit of "fixing" things that aren't broke and making them worse.

This is gold. The text comparison alone speaks for itself.

Exactly. They lied about why they changed the gearing system ("It's too complicated!") just like they lied about why they went pure RNG ("It's EXCITING!!"), both per Ben. They made the changes because they wanted to copy the RNG loot boxes from Overwatch and replicate the fee-to-pay grind of mobile games. It's just about milking the game for more cash. They don't care about players. They don't care about content.

Exactly. They lied about why they changed the gearing system ("It's too complicated!") just like they lied about why they went pure RNG ("It's EXCITING!!"), both per Ben. They made the changes because they wanted to copy the RNG loot boxes from Overwatch and replicate the fee-to-pay grind of mobile games. It's just about milking the game for more cash. They don't care about players. They don't care about content.

except this is not just a free to play game. the GC only affects the subscribers......which is why it doesn't work

except this is not just a free to play game. the GC only affects the subscribers......which is why it doesn't work

Right... not only are they copying models from completely different styles of games, they're not even copying the models correctly! How incompetent can you get?

and yet...there was never posts on the forum complaining about it was there? BW has a nasty habit of "fixing" things that aren't broke and making them worse.

Why people keep saying Bioware wanted to fix something in first place?

This is wrong. This change was INTENTED to have longer lifespan for game recycling old content. This was never ment to be making "simple" or easy way to gear. Unless you look big picture of all the changes past few years then you might actually understand why all these changes are done and why they dont explain in detail all this. Because thats how they can maximize income with very little money needed to invest into game.

Edited by Divona

This is wrong. This change was INTENTED to have longer lifespan for game recycling old content. This was never ment to be making "simple" or easy way to gear. Unless you look big picture of all the changes past few years then you might actually understand why all these changes are done and why they dont explain in detail all this. Because thats how they can maximize income with very little money needed to invest into game.

Oh, we're not saying they implemented GC to 'fix' anything. That's EAWare's justification for completely changing the gearing system. Apparently 3 colors of crystals was "too complicated" for players to understand (Ben Irving's words, not mine) and that's why they decided to go to RNG loot crates. Allegedly.

The lies are rather transparent, I know, but those are the lies they're telling.

Oh, we're not saying they implemented GC to 'fix' anything. That's EAWare's

The lies are rather transparent, I know, but those are the lies they're telling.

Yup you got that right but not many see that or want to accept it :)

They think all the changes are done to make things "simple and easier" for the player :D

Edited by Divona

And there are 21 gear vendors (5 per class plus the tier 1 pvp vendor)

The thing is. Why do we even need so many of them now, when PvP gear had been technically 'cancelled'? Why even bother with the *********** load of extra vendors and currency when their initial intention was (or rather seemed to be) to give people more options of the gameplay?

Did someone really use full 220 vendor gear set? Why?

Implants and earpieces were worse than in 216 mk-1.

Mods and enhancements were worse than in 216 mk-1.

Only thing I can think of is using 220 armorings in non-set gear pieces (including offhand hilt/barrel).

Edited by Halinalle

Engineers.... Always a solution looking for a problem...

It's not engineers, it's the bosses of engineers, either businessmen or politicians that got a great idea that make no sense, but still want to go with it. When it fail, it become the fault of the engineers since it's never their fault, always blame someone/something else.

In simpler terms, those still paying are being played for suckers. The EA MO in a nutshell.

Edited by Wayshuba

It's not engineers, it's the bosses of engineers, either businessmen or politicians that got a great idea that make no sense, but still want to go with it. When it fail, it become the fault of the engineers since it's never their fault, always blame someone/something else.

You really think some politician engineered the system we have right now and wanted to install it into a game they never played? We all know politicians are stupid but this level is even beyond them. Hopefully.

This was too hard:

So we went with this:

And since even that was a headscratcher we went to the far less complicated and completely intuitive:

Now if you can't grasp the beauty and simplicity of this gearing grind then I just don't know what to tell you

LOL you've summed up my thoughts on the 5.x gearing system. I wish I could give your post XP!

This was too hard:

So we went with this:

Brilliant :D

This new system is a complete MESS!!! Whatever they sought to do, they failed. This system confuses the hell outta me, and I feel like I'm fairly well informed. I also love how none of the pieces show their stats so players can make sure they get the right pieces...

5.1 is a COMPLETE failure!!!

I too think it was silly to change end game gearing in the way that they did, and I am not sure that this change is intuitive. I do find quite a bit of merit in the GC system for casual players, but not hardcores IMO.

Though the system has improved, I still feel it is a bit overcomplicated.

Edited by LordArtemis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.