Make Shroud of Memory Available for Everyone

Eriias

I don't think anyone *deserves* it. And actually, before this news came out, I was thinking that there would eventually be another HK model written into the story as opposed to resurrecting the ability to revive HK.-55.

But I don't get how it's cheating if people - namely current subscribers - are paying for it. What I'm hearing is, "BW gave me a toy years ago. I am the only one who ever, in the history of the universe, should have that toy, because I won't feel special otherwise." I don't know if it's reasonable to expect to be able to exclusively hold game quests forever.

Not to mention that if the quest is 2K or 3K, in CC, which people will have to buy, well, that's extra money for BW.

Subscribers during that period a) got that content a long time before anyone else, which is a perk in itself. b) Got that content for free, whereas everyone else will have to pay at least $20+ in Cartel Coins for it.

No actually it has nothing to do with I won't feel special any more, nothing of the sort what it is about is the whole lying of bioware to their subscribers and that is "if you stay subscribed to us for 3 to 4 months before the xpac comes out and stay subbed during the xpac's monthly releases you will get the shroud of memory as exclusive content for you." That was a hook to get people to stay subbed to the game and a reward for it. All I see now are a bunch of lying money grubbing individuals. You can see it as me wanting to feel special all you want but I don't for the reasons mentioned here and in my previous posts. You miss something tough luck I missed plenty before and that is that.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, admittedly i allowed myself to get upset enough to post an ugly thread in another similar post. But one thing that can be counted on is your persistent condesending and outright rude post. You and several other loud persona's that post over and over and over in the same thread. Obviously your intentions are to scream so loud and attempt to make bioware scared of potential fallout should they "cave to the whiners." I hope bioware isnt at all intimidated by youd "claims" and continued persistence to keep your status as "special." Question is, how much true fallout would bioware see if they followed through and.made.available these rewards again? How many lost subscriptions would actually occur. Who would pick up their marbles and move to another sandbox....

Ashur

So, your claiming that your "true" motivation is to protect Biowares integritity/credibility? Sorry, not buying it.

Ashur

My "motivation" is the expectation that BW hold true to the clear and explicit terms and conditions that THEY set forth, as well as the implicit agreement they made with those who met the criteria set forth in those terms and conditions.

The loss of BW credibility and integrity would be by-products of breaking that trust, as would the negative impact upon future subscriber promotions.

Take from that what you will.

You know, admittedly i allowed myself to get upset enough to post an ugly thread in another similar post. But one thing that can be counted on is your persistent condesending and outright rude post. You and several other loud persona's that post over and over and over in the same thread. Obviously your intentions are to scream so loud and attempt to make bioware scared of potential fallout should they "cave to the whiners." I hope bioware isnt at all intimidated by youd "claims" and continued persistence to keep your status as "special." Question is, how much true fallout would bioware see if they followed through and.made.available these rewards again? How many lost subscriptions would actually occur. Who would pick up their marbles and move to another sandbox....

Ashur

I would guess that BW already knows that there will likely be fallout should they break their trust with the player base and that fallout will likely have a long lifespan.

Is it better to get a few "one time hits of revenue" now, at the potential cost of future subscriptions due to the subscriber reward promotions being "compromised" or is it better to keep their implicit "word" and hold to the clear and explicit terms and conditions which THEY set forth, and maintain the integrity and effectiveness of future subscribe reward promotions?

Only BW can make that decision. We know what their decision has been to this point, though, don't we?

You know Ratajack, most of your post in these topics include a lot of hyperbole and unsubstatiated claims. Usually indicating or implying some sort of catastrophic level of response my "hordes" of players that would "destroy" the game should bioware choose to make subscriber rewards obtainable again. It seems to be your way of pushing your agenda which anyone with a brain would see is to keep your precious shinies to yourself, health of the game and enjoyment of current players be damned.

Thats fine. I *dont* know what, if any, fallout would occur. I *speculate* that it would be minimal at worst case scenario. And yes, only bioware knows the metrics and their intintions. And yes, we know their *pattern* to this point. However, money talks, and either bioware or EA has listened and according to several locations, they are *at the least* considering the idea. Whether it comes to fruition or not remains to be seen.

If it does, there will be some tears, *maybe* some will take their marbles to another sandbox, but rest assured, there will also be much rejoicing and continued support by those that find SWTOR an enjoyable escape into the star wars fantasy...

Ashur out..

You know Ratajack, most of your post in these topics include a lot of hyperbole and unsubstatiated claims. Usually indicating or implying some sort of catastrophic level of response my "hordes" of players that would "destroy" the game should bioware choose to make subscriber rewards obtainable again. It seems to be your way of pushing your agenda which anyone with a brain would see is to keep your precious shinies to yourself, health of the game and enjoyment of current players be damned.

Ah, yes, the "victim" card.

[/sarcasm on]

Obviously, those that believe that BW should hold to the clear and explicit criteria that they set forth and the implicit agreement into which they entered with those who met the aforementioned criteria are only concerned with making the lives of those who did NOT meet the aforementioned criteria miserable.

[/sarcasm off]

Thats fine. I *dont* know what, if any, fallout would occur. I *speculate* that it would be minimal at worst case scenario. And yes, only bioware knows the metrics and their intintions. And yes, we know their *pattern* to this point. However, money talks, and either bioware or EA has listened and according to several locations, they are *at the least* considering the idea. Whether it comes to fruition or not remains to be seen.

If it does, there will be some tears, *maybe* some will take their marbles to another sandbox, but rest assured, there will also be much rejoicing and continued support by those that find SWTOR an enjoyable escape into the star wars fantasy...

Ashur out..

Are there a few Johnnies who might take their marbles to another sandbox if BW doesn't cave to their whining and give them that shiny that they KNOW they are not entitled to have? Maybe, but there will be much rejoicing and continued support by those that believe that BW should hold to their cleat and explicit criteria and their implicit agreement with those who met the aforementioned criteria.

Edited by Ratajack

Ashur out..

Coming from someone who is full of speculation and pro galactic soup kitchen optimism, I'm not placing stock in what you're saying. All I see is trying to coerce BioWare into dishonest and unethical business practices by crying and implying it's for the "health of the game" - in a "For The Watch" statement.

"unsubstatiated claims"

"It seems to be your way of pushing your agenda which anyone with a brain would see [otherwise]" - It seems someone is projecting.

Edited by Willjb

I would love it if I could play the chapter, and I'm kicking myself for not having stayed subbed to have played it originally. Maybe that's the point of it being a subscriber reward?

I would love it if I could play the chapter, and I'm kicking myself for not having stayed subbed to have played it originally. Maybe that's the point of it being a subscriber reward?

Exactly.

Those who did not earn those subscriber rewards have extra incentive to continue to subscribe so as not to miss out on any future subscriber rewards.

Now, how effective would any future subscriber reward promotion be if BW caved to the "whiners" and let it be known that if people cry enough they can get those subscriber rewards at a later date?

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this. I know anyone here will be more than happy to correct me if I"m wrong, but out of all the subscriber rewards that have been offered in the game's lifetime so far, SoM's the only thing that's been story content and everything else has been cosmetic tchotchkes?

If so, for as much as the usual crowd's touting the expected 'FYGM' attitude we're so familiar with on the forums with the usual fiat statement that Bioware will never change their minds at all about subscriber rewards, I wonder if that will pan out to be the case in this specific circumstance. Yeah, the Celebration Jawa is not the completely exact thing as the Party Jawa, but for the in game achievements, it's close enough to qualify and for those who manage not to get the Celebration Jawa this time and who don't have the Party Jawa, I'd say precedent enough's been set for them to crack out a similar in function Festival Jawa or some other celebratory named Jawa to accommodate newcomers to the game.

SoM's different because it is story content. Simply by the nature of MMO membership of the usual revolving door of players coming and going and/or playing alts, the amount of people who are going to see/replay that content is going to dwindle, meaning dev resources were spent on something that's going to have a limited play/replay return on effort spent. I know the same can be said towards content like Ops with not many getting to see that content, but it's not impossible for enough like minded people to do a little reading up on a particular Ops to prepare and run a 'let's see the content' session. For as much as one of the often stated complaints about this game is lack of new story content, it's an odd choice to take a one shot bit of story content and make it so limited access.

More I think on it, I'm really not seeing the point of getting so upset at the idea of opening SoM up to others. I mean it's not like asking for allowing the cartel coin stipend open to everyone of which, yeah, I'd be getting my e-pitchfork out to join the mob saying no on that. I see no problem with them offering up a chance to qualify for the chapter on something like the anniversary of KotFE by being a subscriber on that date. That way new people who haven't even heard of the game have a chance, and it's still semi-gated by having a requirement.

Toward the end of 15/16, I was extremely upset because of the combination of the "content drought" and no plan to fill it. Literally the extreme terms of SoM were the only reason I stayed on (I unsubbed around Christmas until the infamous "Ops on layaway" announcement). It was a gutterball tactic because they knew that there was no op upon completion of KotFE and they figured they needed to give away a big shiny to get people to sub continuously. I would not like for the only reason I stayed on to be a disingenuous statement of terms. I would really want a $30 refund if they ever granted SoM to non-eligible accounts.

Okay, you want the chapter, then you need to pay for it (more than one month) and you will not get HK nor will you get the other companion.

Nonsense. They complete the chapter. They get the blue droid. Same as everyone else who completes the chapter. You're just in the bargaining stage right now...

Frankly, I'd be more than happy for them to make the chapter available for some CC on the CM. And not some ridiculous price like 7,000 CC. People will just pick this up across news sites as Bioware charging nearly 50$ for a one hour chapter experience. That'd be bad PR. Even more bad PR than the "Bioware is making subscriber rewards available!" nonsense.

No, 1,500-2,000 CC are more than fine. Gating that story chapter behind a continuous 150$ subscription was one of the big KotFE mistakes. Gating story in a story MMORPG behind being subscribed during a specific time period and for nearly a year is complete nonsense. It wouldn't even be that bad if it was "subscribe at any point for six to twelve months" (i.e the FFXIV approach to rewards), but a specific timeframe was just ridiculous.

I'm glad if they finally open it up to the public.

Edited by Alssaran

I would love to be able to do the quest also but, my acct accidentally lasped be caused of some deal with my bank that was no fault of my own. I realize that my acct lapsed even though it wasn't my fault so I know I can't do the quest and to ask for it to ba made available would be unfair to those who stayed the required time.

I would love to be able to do the quest also but, my acct accidentally lasped be caused of some deal with my bank that was no fault of my own. I realize that my acct lapsed even though it wasn't my fault so I know I can't do the quest and to ask for it to ba made available would be unfair to those who stayed the required time.

^This person gets it.

Nonsense. They complete the chapter. They get the blue droid. Same as everyone else who completes the chapter. You're just in the bargaining stage right now...

Frankly, I'd be more than happy for them to make the chapter available for some CC on the CM. And not some ridiculous price like 7,000 CC. People will just pick this up across news sites as Bioware charging nearly 50$ for a one hour chapter experience. That'd be bad PR. Even more bad PR than the "Bioware is making subscriber rewards available!" nonsense.

No, 1,500-2,000 CC are more than fine. Gating that story chapter behind a continuous 150$ subscription was one of the big KotFE mistakes. Gating story in a story MMORPG behind being subscribed during a specific time period and for nearly a year is complete nonsense. It wouldn't even be that bad if it was "subscribe at any point for six to twelve months" (i.e the FFXIV approach to rewards), but a specific timeframe was just ridiculous.

I'm glad if they finally open it up to the public.

Speculative threads are a dime a dozen. Speculate all you want, but seeing how BioWare has stayed true to their word thus far, it's highly unlikely they will go back on it or display unethical or dishonest business practices to cater to Johnny-come-lately with their hand out who didn't invest in this company through thick and thin.

If they were to grant it, a lot of people who subbed during that drought and got the Shroud of Memory would [rightfully] expect a refund.

Edited by Willjb

The only people whining here are the ones who truly believe they have the right to dictate that content should be restricted from other people, and that nobody else should get to play with their toys, because they won't feel special anymore.

The rest of us are just asking for the ability to...gasp...purchase additional game content. Quelle horreur.

The only people whining here are the ones who truly believe they have the right to dictate that content should be restricted from other people, and that nobody else should get to play with their toys, because they won't feel special anymore.

The rest of us are just asking for the ability to...gasp...purchase additional game content. Quelle horreur.

The "rest of you" are asking to be able to have something you KNOW that you did NOT meet the criteria to receive.

The "rest of you" can try to justify it any you want to and play the victim all you want, but it boils down to wanting something you did NOT meet the criteria to receive.

It was a reward for the people who continued to sub, helping to keep the lights on as it were, while a bunch of people actually bragged about dropping their sub, knowing they could still get the content later.

And judging by the user numbers from the posters, it's not new people that are coming here asking for this, it's people who have played the game for some time and who knew all about the promotion and chose not to sub to get the present. The same people now want to cheat their way to getting this, asking Bioware to disrespect the loyal players who stuck by them, and lose any credibility for any other rewards, past or future.

It's not a really good business strategy to disrespect your loyal customers to pander to a bunch of fickle, capricious casuals, who'll be gone again as soon as they've got what they wanted, and will only come back when they see something else that weren't entitled to.

Choices Matter.

I just found the thread on Reddit.

I don't know if someone from BW will read this, but I tell you this: In January 2016, I had my sub canceled (would have ran out in February), because I was very disappointed with the state of the game and the handling of end-of-the-year exploits in 2014 and 2015. I stated my reasons for unsubbing to BW during cancellation.

Then they published their subscription perks and the HK bonus chapter was THE reason for me to cancel my cancellation and continue subbing the whole time. I paid 8 months of subbing, because I decided that this chapter is worth it to me and I was under the impression that subbing for those 8 months would be the only way to ever get this chapter.

From this point of view, I would be very disappointed if they hand out the bonus chapter for people who turned their back on the game and then saw what a fun chapter they missed and now whine about it.

However, I do also believe that it is a pity that so many players will miss out on that fun chapter. It feels like a waste of resources. Z0-0M's voice acting should be enjoyed by everyone. She is brilliant.

Now, I believe that there is no solution that will satisfy everyone and whatever they make, there will remain a bitter taste in many people's mouths, including mine. But there is also the fact that this game needs income to keep going and obviously, they are trying to milk the players as much as possible now. They wouldn't do this, if it wouldn't be necessary. They didn't do it in the past when enough sub income and CM sales happened. Now they do all those special sales and whatnot.

What would be OK for me (and me alone; not speaking for anyone else here):

- buy the bonus chapter for a high amount of CC. It has to be a lot. Not necessarily 150$, but not just 20 or so

- the authorisation item for the chapter is BoP (so that it cannot be sold for credits) and is only for ONE character

- HK-55 companion is included

- Z0-0M companion is NOT included

- Jolo (?, the housekeeper) decoration is NOT included

Like that, everyone can get the chance to play the story and they get one reward for it. And the original subscribers still keep two exclusive rewards. Having Z0-0M as companion gives no benefit whatsoever, there are not even achievements for her. That means that there is no reason someone would need her except for "I wantz it all, because!"

And, what I will also expect from BW is that they do similar things with other exclusive stuff. That special color crystal you only got when you bought a Razor Swtor mouse? I want to buy it for CC. Pre-order items? I want to buy them for CC. Promotional pets that were only handed out for a very limited audience? I want to buy them for CC. If BW sells the exclusive bonus chapter, but not all the other exclusive things, they act unfair. Either punish everyone who once bought something exclusive or punish no one. But don't punish some and don't don't punish some others. Where will you draw the line, BW?

TL;DR: If they offer the bonus chapter for CC, they also have to offer all other non-available, previously exclusive stuff for direct CC-sale, for example pre-order items. Either all for everyone or keep the status quo.

Edited by JattaGin

I'm frankly rather upset that this content is arbitrarily unavailable because I wasn't a subscriber for that entire timeframe. I was a subscriber from March-July this year and recently restarted my subscription to play again. I was also a subscriber before that for many years--I was a founder and in the intervening 5 years have been paying Bioware more months than not. So why on earth is it that, even though I am yet again paying for this game, I am not allowed to play this mission?

This feels like a betrayal after having played this game for so long. I took a break for personal reasons and just for that this whole story mission is completely unavailable? Why? An event is understandable, but this is part of a single-player storyline. It'd be frustrating enough if I had to pay extra like on the Cartel Market to access it after that time, but to make it not available at all? This just seems ridiculous and almost antagonistic. Why am I locked out of this bit of the story because I had a hard semester in college and needed to stop playing for a while? In what other game would that be the case? This makes no sense.

It would be a cheating on those who actually subscribed in that period of time lol. They stated clear rules of what shoud be made in order to get excess to the content, people were subscribing during a long period of time, and now they should give it to everyone? What sense of exclusive content then?

Why do people think they are being "punished" if they don't get something they didn't earn?

Because they're jealous and sad they missed out on something fun. It's hard to stay reasonable and keep thinking rational, when you're in a certain state of mind.:rak_03: I wish bw would just come out and say how it is, so people can stop asking.

TL;DR: If they offer the bonus chapter for CC, they also have to offer all other non-available, previously exclusive stuff for direct CC-sale, for example pre-order items. Either all for everyone or keep the status quo.

I don't see how this is true - the difference is most of the subscriber rewards were cosmectic items, or companions. Not an actual, resource heavy, fully developed STORY line (a short story line, but still a story line).

I think Bioware made a mistake gating story behind subscribtion - it's not the way to draw in new subscribers.

Leave the non-story sub awards alone, but let new subs (or players) have a way to see all the story. They can either charge CC's or have a set number of consecutive months subbed needed before a new player can see the extra content.