Make Shroud of Memory Available for Everyone

Eriias

I'm a little upset because I have all rewards from subbing this year, but as a new player a don't have a chance to buy - for exemple - Nico Okarr. It would be nice if they have just give us access to all the awards for the cartel coins. I do not mind in-game purchases. It would be profitable for them too...

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And guess who it hurts the most. New players. You know the thing that keeps mmos alive... Gotta love this decision.

Because that BONUS chapter is the only thing that new players will never get to experience?

Let's see:

New players will not get to experience the Chevin Grand Acquisitions event.

New players will not get to experience the recent Dark vs Light event or acquire the companion from that event.

New players will not get to experience the original Rakhghoul event.

The list goes on and on.

There are many things in this game that are locked behind "time travel".

There are many things in almost every MMO that someone who joins the game years after it is released will never get to experience. It's not being "unfair" to new players. That is simply the nature of MMO's.

My best friend unsubbed back in Feb of 2016 and she didn't get the rewards but she understands that was something she chose to do.

There have been a lot of things I didn't get in games before because I started after the game was released but I accepted the fact and move on. There will always be things you don't get in a game because you were not there when it was released.

I don't understand the need to have everything someone that has been playing longer has. I been through that before and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the game. There are still things in this game I don't have because I didn't do something, but that was my decision and I am not asking them to put on the cartel market just so I can have it.

If only there were something like prepaid time cards which a player could purchase to ensure that nothing "beyond their control" could interrupt their subscription ans so that they remained subscribed in order to receive those rewards that required a continuous subscription.

It's not as if the player had no control over their subscription remaining continuous. Whether or not the player made use of the options available to him is entirely up to the player, not BW.

But, you see, you're illustrating my point. You just suggested that a player should change the very way they go about paying for the game to ensure they get a reward. And that doesn't sound completely asinine to you?

Look, it doesn't matter what options the player has available to them to make sure they stay subbed. My point is that the player should never be put into a situation like this. It's just bad business. It's not a fair promotion.

And when I say "beyond their control" there is an entire laundry list of things that can happen to prevent them from reupping. Ranging from completely reasonable reasons such as they lost their job/primary income and can't afford to reup or their credit card company made a mistake and the payment wasn't made properly, to totally ridiculous, such as they were hit by a car while on their way to the store to purchase a time card. The reason doesn't matter.

In fact, the very notion that I'm even bringing this up is proof in and of itself that it's a bad model. Because promotions like these are supposed to be designed to get people to play and continue playing. They are, first an foremost, psychological encouragement. I'm a paying player, and if I see fault in how a promotion is designed, it's a loss of profit for EA. Regardless of if my reasoning is sound or not.

Basically...

Fair promotions:

-Be subscribed by X Date to earn this reward.

-Have an active account by X Date to earn this reward (play within 30 days).

-Be subscribed for X number of months between Y Date and Z Date to earn this reward. (*I'd like to see more promotions like this)

Unfair promotions:

-Keep a continuous subscription from X Date to Y Date.

OP, let the special snowflakes have their participation trophies. It's the only thing in this world that makes them special. Don't take that away from them.

Yes, the people who followed the rules to get the*prize are the special snowflakes, and not the people who didn't follow the rules and now want exceptions made. :rolleyes:

But, you see, you're illustrating my point. You just suggested that a player should change the very way they go about paying for the game to ensure they get a reward. And that doesn't sound completely asinine to you?

Look, it doesn't matter what options the player has available to them to make sure they stay subbed. My point is that the player should never be put into a situation like this. It's just bad business. It's not a fair promotion.

And when I say "beyond their control" there is an entire laundry list of things that can happen to prevent them from reupping. Ranging from completely reasonable reasons such as they lost their job/primary income and can't afford to reup or their credit card company made a mistake and the payment wasn't made properly, to totally ridiculous, such as they were hit by a car while on their way to the store to purchase a time card. The reason doesn't matter.

In fact, the very notion that I'm even bringing this up is proof in and of itself that it's a bad model. Because promotions like these are supposed to be designed to get people to play and continue playing. They are, first an foremost, psychological encouragement. I'm a paying player, and if I see fault in how a promotion is designed, it's a loss of profit for EA. Regardless of if my reasoning is sound or not.

Basically...

Fair promotions:

-Be subscribed by X Date to earn this reward.

-Have an active account by X Date to earn this reward (play within 30 days).

-Be subscribed for X number of months between Y Date and Z Date to earn this reward. (*I'd like to see more promotions like this)

Unfair promotions:

-Keep a continuous subscription from X Date to Y Date.

Johnny loses his job and primary source of income and cannot subscribe by X date to earn the reward and you think that is fair, yet you want to cry foul and unfair if Billy loses his job and primary source of income and cannot maintain the continuous subscription from X date to Y date?

Am I the only who sees an inconsistency with that?

At least you're not crying foul "for the benefit of the new or returning players" who were not playing on X date and therefore could not possibly be held to the same rules since they could not possibly be expected to be aware of those rules.

The same rules apply to every one. If Johnny meets the requirements to receive the reward, then he gets the reward. If Billy does not meet the requirements, no matter the reason, then he does not get the reward.

As I have said, I would like to see BW implement a veteran reward system with different rewards in addition the time specific subscriber (including those requiring maintaining continuous subscriptions) rewards, in the future.

Disagree. Part of the perk of being a subscriber during the time is getting the reward. I would feel "betrayed" if suddenly my loyalty meant nothing because the bonus I subscribed to get was suddenly available to people who did not do what I did to earn it.

That said, I could see it being made available to all subscribers after it had been out for say, a year.

It's just bad precedent to put dev time into story content that is only seen by an ever shrinking pool of players.

That is your opinion. It is not shared by everyone, obviously. There are many posters in the "Give me what I KNOW I am not entitled to have" threads are against making the BONUS chapter, or any of the subscriber rewards, available again.

IMO, it was a great incentive for players to maintain that continuous subscription, especially in light of the number of people openly bragging on these forums about cancelling their subs and then subscribing again for a single month after chapter 16 to get access to chapters 10-16.

It seems that most of these threads are either started by, or full of posts from, players who CHOSE not to maintain that continuous subscription (many of whom openly bragged on these forums that they were going to unsubscribe and then resubscribe for one month after all the chapters had been released to get access to chapter 10-16) and are now crying foul because the BONUS chapter is better than they expected it to be.

I would like to see more bonus chapters tied to continuous subscriptions, while also having some bonus chapters tied to a veteran reward system, in the future. The same goes for additional companions. Have some tied to being subscribed on specific dates, while others are tied to a veteran reward system.

Am I the only who sees an inconsistency with that?

How is it inconsistent? In one case the player is given needless tax for some small bonus that's meant as a "thank you." In the other case, a player is rewarded for their patronage. In the former case, it's very likely to cause players to feel a certain degree of being threatened. They obviously aren't, but that's not really important when it comes to marketing. What's important is how the marketing makes the customer feel.

Let me put it like this: Which store are you more likely to shop at:

1. The one that's advertised as having a sale on X Date.

2. The one that asks you to show up continuously for 3 days so you could get a sale on the 4th.

Even if in the second case the sale is of greater value, people will judge it based on convenience. If you put the consumer at any sort of potential fault, it's a FAILURE AS A PROMOTION. It doesn't matter how fair it actually is, logically, or how specific and visible the rules are. If a customer doesn't like it (EVEN FOR REASONS THAT MAKE NO LOGICAL SENSE!), then the promotion is a failure. Period.

A good promotion is one that is so incredibly simple, even an absolute moron couldn't misconstrue it. So, if the player sees this "continuous sub between 2 dates" and thinks "well... what if X happens?" then the promotion just backfired.

The same rules apply to every one. If Johnny meets the requirements to receive the reward, then he gets the reward. If Billy does not meet the requirements, no matter the reason, then he does not get the reward.

*** does this have to do with anything?

You just cant get over the fact you have something others don't to apply common sense to the development and betterment of the game.

Your argument is for yourself, mine is for everybody. As such my argument will not sway you nor yours mine.

On opinions, I don't care about opinions that don't reflect the greater good of the game (based on my opinions.)

Edited by Monumenta

How is it inconsistent? In one case the player is given needless tax for some small bonus that's meant as a "thank you." In the other case, a player is rewarded for their patronage. In the former case, it's very likely to cause players to feel a certain degree of being threatened. They obviously aren't, but that's not really important when it comes to marketing. What's important is how the marketing makes the customer feel.

Let me put it like this: Which store are you more likely to shop at:

1. The one that's advertised as having a sale on X Date.

2. The one that asks you to show up continuously for 3 days so you could get a sale on the 4th.

Even if in the second case the sale is of greater value, people will judge it based on convenience. If you put the consumer at any sort of potential fault, it's a FAILURE AS A PROMOTION. It doesn't matter how fair it actually is, logically, or how specific and visible the rules are. If a customer doesn't like it (EVEN FOR REASONS THAT MAKE NO LOGICAL SENSE!), then the promotion is a failure. Period.

A good promotion is one that is so incredibly simple, even an absolute moron couldn't misconstrue it. So, if the player sees this "continuous sub between 2 dates" and thinks "well... what if X happens?" then the promotion just backfired.

It is just as likely that SOMEONE will find the "sub by X date" promotion to be just as threatening as the "sub from this date to this date" promotion. Not everyone is going to like every promotion. No one can make everyone happy. Even if BW simply gave everything away for FREE, there would still be someone who complains that the shiny wasn't good enough.

It doesn't matter if a few people feel "threatened" by the sub from X date to Y date promotion and therefore choose not to subscribe if there are enough people who DO subscribe from X date to Y date.

Did enough people subscribe from X date to Y date in this case? Only BW has the numbers to make that evaluation.

*** does this have to do with anything?

Since the same rules apply to everyone, there is no "unfairness" to anyone.

You just cant get over the fact you have something others don't to apply common sense to the development and betterment of the game.

Your argument is for yourself, mine is for everybody. As such my argument will not sway you nor yours mine.

On opinions, I don't care about opinions that don't reflect the greater good of the game (based on my opinions.)

Again, your opinion differs from mine.

My opinion is that if BW were to cave to the entitled whiners who KNOW they do NOT meet the requirements to have access to the BONUS chapter, something NOT integral to the core game, they will undermine the incentive to subscribe that any future subscriber rewards would have.

Loss of subscriber revenue is detrimental to the game as a whole.

If, on the other hand, BW holds to the CLEAR AND EXPLICIT criteria set forth in the terms and conditions regarding the BONUS chapter and any other past subscriber rewards, then going forward all those who did NOT meet those CLEAR AND EXPLICIT criteria (for whatever reason) will have additional incentive to remain subscribed so they do not to miss out on any future subscriber rewards.

Additional continued subscriber revenue is good for the game as a whole.

I'm frankly rather upset that this content is arbitrarily unavailable because I wasn't a subscriber for that entire timeframe. I was a subscriber from March-July this year and recently restarted my subscription to play again. I was also a subscriber before that for many years--I was a founder and in the intervening 5 years have been paying Bioware more months than not. So why on earth is it that, even though I am yet again paying for this game, I am not allowed to play this mission?

This feels like a betrayal after having played this game for so long. I took a break for personal reasons and just for that this whole story mission is completely unavailable? Why? An event is understandable, but this is part of a single-player storyline. It'd be frustrating enough if I had to pay extra like on the Cartel Market to access it after that time, but to make it not available at all? This just seems ridiculous and almost antagonistic. Why am I locked out of this bit of the story because I had a hard semester in college and needed to stop playing for a while? In what other game would that be the case? This makes no sense.

If that made you feel betrayed, imagine how the devs feel betrayed when you unsubbed. :o

You know, if everyone who played TOR since day 1 hadn't unsubbed, maybe we'd still have individual class stories. Them unsubbing and therefore giving BW/EA less money, to continue the individual class stories, meant they betrayed us.

• 6 months later...
Justice!

It's not justice. It's them caving yet again to the entitled crybabies that pollute this game.

If it costs less than my subscription was for me to get it legitimately when it was offered then I'm definitely done after this billing period.

It's not justice. It's them caving yet again to the entitled crybabies that pollute this game.

If it costs less than my subscription was for me to get it legitimately when it was offered then I'm definitely done after this billing period.

1. I've been a huge supporter of this since before it even dropped and (as Ive had to say repeatedly to people like yourself) I was a sub and have the chapter.

2. Content should have never been held hostage from the majority of players, it's was bad business. Content isn't like an old achievement for snowflakes to gloat about.

3. Entitled crybaby describes your post to a tee.

Still sorry to see you go, hopefully you reconsider the upside.

I'm fine with Shroud of Memory being renamed and recolored for everyone that didn't get it the first time, maybe they don't get to keep the companions idk, what I do know is having a whole chapter a growing majority of players cannot access is increasingly bad as that majority grows.

Your notions remain laughably askew, regardless of subject. Good luck out there.

I have to disagree with you and the op, it was stated by bioware that you had to have a sub between x date to x date and then you would qualify for the shroud of memory, It would be like me demanding that I get the lucky swoop speeder the Advanced Black-purple striated crystals and all the other numerous holiday and event items that I have missed out because I happen to have cancelled my Sub at certain times.

I missed it, and because I am a founder and have been subbed for a substantial amount of time that I automatically deserve this?, I don't and nor does the op or anyone else that wasn't subbed at that time it was a reward for people who chose to support bioware at that time. Not to mention that Shroud of Memory is not content that changes one iota of what the actual story is about.

As for the majority as you claim they were not playing at the time and I am betting that they could have been if they so chose too they could have.

Now excuse me while I go and wash out my mouth and clean my hands with antiseptic soap as I never expected to actually jump in on biowares defence with the record of other things that has happened with Bioware recently.

Edited by GolgoXIII

Yes I agree that this is BS if it costs less than what we paid in subs during that time. And if it is less then they should hand out Cartel coins to every Subscriber during that time (the cost of the unlock) because this is a slap in the face of the people that actually supported them during that time.

1. I've been a huge supporter of this since before it even dropped and (as Ive had to say repeatedly to people like yourself) I was a sub and have the chapter.

2. Content should have never been held hostage from the majority of players, it's was bad business. Content isn't like an old achievement for snowflakes to gloat about.

3. Entitled crybaby describes your post to a tee.

Still sorry to see you go, hopefully you reconsider the upside.

This content has no relevance to the story as a whole it makes not one iota of difference. So the people who buy this content which may be less than the price of the subs during that time get not only Z00M they also get HK-55 as they are going to need this companion also so as to complete this content. So we who supported them get two slaps to the face then? Because HK-55 was also a reward for being subbed before the whole expac was launched as well.

You can call me self entitled cry baby if you like but neither the content nor the companions are required to play the game.

So are you going to petition bioware on the behalf of everyone else that missed all the goodies because they weren't subbed a couple of years ago from the holiday events, life day etc.?????

Will you also petition bioware on behalf of the subs that actually supported them during that time (yourself included) if this content that they release costs less than the price of the subscription during the entire time you had to be subbed to get all these rewards?

Edited by GolgoXIII