Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Just want to say that I agree with OP; We want SW:TOR to be great!

Character responsiveness is vital for the game.

I really enjoy SW:TOR so far, it has a lot of good features, and if you guys adress this issue aswell ...well then I guess me and my friends will stay for a while :)

I actually was on a lan with my friends this week and character responsiveness was an issue we discussed(and I saw this post just now btw.) Apart from that we all agreed that the game is pretty good.

I amongst many others in here will contunie with SW:TOR because we are so damn fed up with the WoW content that we could puke, and we got no other games. I played WoW since beta until now, don't get me wrong; WoW is a great game.

Also, I want to say that I thought Warhammer, Aion and Rift was **** :p I could not understand how they were able to make so crappy games so long after WoW came out. Sure there were some cool features in the games...but that does not help when the rest is ****...haha. Sorry guys, just had to get that off my shoulders.

I feel SW:TOR is the best MMO by far after WoW! And I think that we should give BioWare some time...it just came out. I can't imagine how much work and effort they put into it. Aswell as all the other bugs and minor issues that comes around they have to fix.

It will help if they show the will to discuss and fix this. People have no problem to wait it out if they know that the issue beeing adressed.

yeye!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue is under active investigation.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'.

ALSO...Did any of you even care to notice a Dev posted in this thread about this issue????

I believe it was on page 123 or somewhere in the 120's...But yet I still still see "Dev respond"!!!!

Edited by fallenvirtues

Let me ask you guys this...Can there be any compromise with you all? If BW was able to fix the buggyness of the UI but still had damage corresponding with the animation and it worked perfectly with no problems with the execution i.e firing off as soon as you hit the button...Would that make you happy???

Visuals will get old, gameplay will remain. The compromise is ajusting animation speed/taking effect sequence to match, difference will be hardly noticeble with naked eye.

Perhaps it's because I played Marauder

Mate I play a Marauder and the issue is so god damn obvious - specially while PVPing - its not even funny. Im still a noob, but i've lost - and probably won - tons of fights due to this issue.

Winning or loosing, its just the fact that - and I am a fanboy can't help it :( - this is by far the most gamebreaking situation in the game right now, and WILL make me drop SWTOR if it persists in the next couple of months.

I don't want to feel like quitting in a couple of months Bioware :(

PS Ill probably take a time off for Mass Effect 3 though :D

Let me ask you guys this...Can there be any compromise with you all? If BW was able to fix the buggyness of the UI but still had damage corresponding with the animation and it worked perfectly with no problems with the execution i.e firing off as soon as you hit the button...Would that make you happy???

I personally like the animations in there...I realize that makes some instant casts not so instant...But I like the fact that you have to wait for the grenade to land on the mob before it explodes...The saber actually has to make contact before it inflicts damage instead of damage numbers poppin out before any type of lame animation follows...

I am not saying its definitely gonna be fixed/changed/stay the same nor am i offering a solution to fixing it...Non of that...Im simply asking if the animations stayed the same and how the influence on how damage was distributed but there was no delay from when you hit the button and when the attack/ability started, would you be able to live with that and enjoy it???

I just want to say to this that instant casts HAVE TO be instant, no if, but, when, how about it. The effect of anything "instant" has to absolutely instant. The best example is and has been discussed: Getting stunned or CCd in PvP and using your Trinket (Not on GCD) immediately followed by the consular knockback. This should happen (both actions) within about .2 to .4 seconds. This is reportedly impossible, which is gamebreaking.

I played ancient EQ over a decade ago, and when i pressed a button, my character did that i pressed, when i pressed.

Forget about WoW, every good video game has responsive controls, not just WoW.

Apparently mentioning WoW removes all reasoning from some people.

It should, considering the amount of success it has had over the years. That's my point. Issues will/can be fixed.

Visuals will get old, gameplay will remain. The compromise is ajusting animation speed/taking effect sequence to match, difference will be hardly noticeble with naked eye.

You obviously dont get the question...Thanx for not even trying though

When I said "If everything worked properly"..Meaning if the animations ended on time with the GCD and etc

Visuals might get old to you, but they dnt for me...I'm a graphic artist and I'm all about visuals...So speak for yourself

If it worked perfect, gameplay and visuals would be working hand and hand

I just want to say to this that instant casts HAVE TO be instant, no if, but, when, how about it. The effect of anything "instant" has to absolutely instant. The best example is and has been discussed: Getting stunned or CCd in PvP and using your Trinket (Not on GCD) immediately followed by the consular knockback. This should happen (both actions) within about .2 to .4 seconds. This is reportedly impossible, which is gamebreaking.

Why skate around my question and focus on one negative you dont like?

Obviously the system is working properly for you right now...You are obviously having a problem with abilities firing off correctly...Hence why i said if it was working prefectly....

Why the hell is it so hard for you guys to answer a simple question...And what you state as "Has to be" is how it has to be for you...But thats irrelivent and I am not trying to bring my convo there...so please answer the question

This issue is extremely important and must be addressed. It's my number one issue with the game. The OP is right on the money on WoW getting this right. SWTOR doesn't. I don't care about animations or anything like that. I want total control of my character.

Here's the Wiki page for the Hero Engine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroEngine

No where on the page does it show that Warhammer Online was made with said engine.

The Gamebryo engine was used to make Warhammer Online.

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Thanks, good to know that other guy was making up a false rumor, cause i was about to lose my mind.

If you played warhammer at launch, you'd know how insane something like this could make you,if it was true.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'.

So many pages past this post and no real comments on it. No one care? Feels like a small win atm, though we'll see.

Edited by samdbtto

Ultimately whats gonna happen is people who like the WoW way of doing things, even if BW gets their system to work perfectly, are gonna complain until BW changes it

It wont matter that a lot of us out there like the combat system in place...They will win and we will have to deal with it.

Wait a minute, how did this escape me and seemingly everyone else?? I am satisfied with this response, apologies for missing this somehow...

Page 123 - I will add to OP once I get home...

Also adding a Pro Gamers Opinion, very nice insight...

Vielen Dank Georg

Edited by Xcore

I agree. I'm a sorc healer and when I shield someone there is no time for delay. They can be dead in .5 seconds unless the shield is up on them. This is getting ridiculous. Khem has died a lot of times because I couldn't get my shield up on him fast enough. This is a huge issue.

So many pages past this post and no real comments on it. No one care? Feels like a small win atm, though we'll see.

Exactly...Lets start talking about how we can help the Devs with fixing this...Lets start breaking up the problems in to some kind of more organized fashion so they can start finding out what is causing what and for who...

Though most of the problems are the same, there may be different reasons for it happening per individual

The ability delay im having seems to have nothing to do with animations.

Its purely a "I click the ability to use it" and nothing happens for 0.5 to 2.0 seconds.

This doesnt happen except in warzones.

No ability delay for me outside of warzones.

Wait a minute, how did this escape me an seemingly everyone else?? I am satisfied with this response, apologies for missing this somehow...

Lol, I missed it too - and it happened right before I quoted your "." plea. That's hilarious.

Nice find, fallenvirtues. And, now, hopefully for Xcore, some resolution :)

ALSO...Did any of you even care to notice a Dev posted in this thread about this issue????

I believe it was on page 123 or somewhere in the 120's...But yet I still still see "Dev respond"!!!!

I am going to be honest here...

Totally *%!@'ing missed that. This thread has been moving fairly quickly. Can't believe I missed that.

All that being said, I am comfortable with Georg Zoeller, a Lead Technical / Systems Designer at BioWare Corp, saying...

"This issue is under active investigation.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness."

Hopefully they fix this soon. I am loving the game and I want everyone to stick around and Star Wars: The Old Republic to extremely successful.

Thank you.

The ability delay im having seems to have nothing to do with animations.

Its purely a "I click the ability to use it" and nothing happens for 0.5 to 2.0 seconds.

This doesnt happen except in warzones.

No ability delay for me outside of warzones.

What I been trying to say for awhile now is if the ability instantly started as soon as you hit the button, then every ones animations would end on time with the GCD..

People have stated abilities arent starting until .5 or so after pressing the ability and that the animation is carrying about .5 past the GCD...WELL THERE YA GO!!!!

I am going to be honest here...

Hopefully they fix this soon. I am loving the game and I want everyone to stick around and Star Wars: The Old Republic to extremely successful.

Thank you.

My thoughts also -- now I can get back to actually playing the game instead of refreshing this thread constantly for two days, lol.

Awesome post. This summarizes the main issues with the ability delays in an excellent way... Hopefully Bioware can fix it - my cast bar when I heal disappears, abilities are delayed.. I cant even start running after my .5 second cast to summon my speeder because of this design.

Great post!

Lol, I missed it too - and it happened right before I quoted your "." plea. That's hilarious.

Nice find, fallenvirtues. And, now, hopefully for Xcore, some resolution :)

No worries :)

Even though I am not effected by the delay..meaning my animations end as my GCD does, I still fully believe this is a real problem for all of you and I am effected when I hit the button and NOTHING happens...It needs to be fixed and I do support the OP fully even if we dont see eye to eye on everything