defeat Vaylin's spirit.

kenbe

sorry i was thinking the sniper mirror moves, the sniper has a shield that they can deploy and crouch or something, its the same as the snipers shield probe and entrech, entrench/(GS name) prevents u from controling effects for 15 seconds so no pushbacks, shield absorbs damage, and dodge lets u avoid a force attack.

Ok, thanks. I thought that's what you meant but wanted to be sure. And they say communication is a dying art. :)

K

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the worst-designed boss fight in a game famous for its wonky fights. Seems to have been designed solely to extract money from players for repairs. And seeing how Crew Skills are now extinct, this should have a depressing effect on the in-game economy.

Crew skills are not extinct. I was having a problem using the icon to bring up the crafters/gathers, but using B works. Looks like tomorrow's patch might fix this issue.

K

You're kidding me. So DS characters get a companion and those of us who didn't... I know my rotation fairly well and I'm a bit tired but I'm dealing with so much lag in Harbinger right now. So I'll try again tomorrow morning- but I think you're right. The fight definitely feels like you accidentally stepped into a boss encounter with your companion dismissed.

It's not a matter of DS vs LS. If you let Darth wosname go from the holocron he's gone. If you keep him, he becomes your healer companion in this fight.

K

Once you know/understand the mechanics of this fight it's fairly easy even playing LS. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it but it wasn't too bad in the end. And I suck at this game at times. :D

First you have to get in Vaylin's face and STAY THERE or at least within the violet circle she has around her as she is vulnerable to all damage dealt WITHIN the circle. Also keep an eye out for green glowing circles that you'll eventually see making their way around the battle area, as this is how you get healed if you don't have the force ghost from the holocron. They're called a memory of healing or something like that.

See the green glowing circles? Run over to them ideally with Vaylin nipping at your heels as she won't always follow. Get the healing circle to pop so it heals you and it also seemed to deal damage to Vaylin if she's close enough when it goes off.

Avoiding Vaylin's annoying AoE attack that can knock you off the platform if you're unlucky is a bit of a pain but what I found worked for me was to stay near the base of the staircase with my back to them and slightly to the side so when Vaylin popped her AoE I was knock into the staircase and not blown off the platform.

Hope it helps :D

I struggled with this several times as a sniper before I gave up trying to damage her conventionally and relied totally on the healing circles to bring her down. Just keep kiting her round, run round the outside of the healing circles as they appear and as her violet circle crosses into it, run towards her and trigger the healing which will also do her some serious damage. You'll probably need to do this 4-5 times to wear her down. Since you're not damaging her you'll never hit 30 stacks and won't have to worry about avoiding her force overload.

I find this fight to be very unbalanced. There is a difference between making something a challenge, and making something hair pulling hard. I'm a freaking Sage, which means that I have to keep moving, and I can't take hits very well. I don't know what they were thinking when they made this boss, but it really isn't fair. I get her down to almost half health, then die because of the stupid stunning skill.

I find this fight to be very unbalanced. There is a difference between making something a challenge, and making something hair pulling hard. I'm a freaking Sage, which means that I have to keep moving, and I can't take hits very well. I don't know what they were thinking when they made this boss, but it really isn't fair. I get her down to almost half health, then die because of the stupid stunning skill.

I'm a sage too. I cannot kill her. I've tried EVERY piece of advice that I read in these forums and nothing works. Even when I manage to get her health half -way down, I'll die. What's more, my saber slash was replaced by some bewilderingly stupid "impending slash" (wth??) that allows me to slash with my saber only once and then a long countdown. I usually prefer to use "kinetic throw" during fights, but I also supplemented with my saber and now with "impending slash" my saber is basically useless in any fight. I have to give up this fight for now until something changes. My keyboard has taken a huge pounding trying to beat this stupid Vaylin thing. I mentioned on another post that Lightsiders are being punished for choosing the right thing and not hold the dark lord as a slave. I don't WANT a slave. A friend/companion yes; a slave, no. So for setting him free, I'm left with the inability to complete a story because I don't have a companion. It's not good enough to "run to the healing memory circles whenever they appear" . I always get caught or slammed or my running becomes lethargic. I NEED a companion!! Another gripe I have is that the cutscene doesn't allow the player to chose to NOT sit on the throne. I DON'T WANT to sit on the blasted throne!! I would not have chosen it! I'm like George Washington; he was offered the kingship of America but he refused because people have fought and died to separate themselves from a tyrannical king. George Washington didn't want yet another regime that can sire future tyrants.

It's not a matter of DS vs LS. If you let Darth wosname go from the holocron he's gone. If you keep him, he becomes your healer companion in this fight.

K

yeah .... so if I give a light side answer (cause I am a good guy) I get ****ed in thi end fight cause i have no healer... Thanks EA

I'm a sage too. I cannot kill her. I've tried EVERY piece of advice that I read in these forums and nothing works. Even when I manage to get her health half -way down, I'll die. What's more, my saber slash was replaced by some bewilderingly stupid "impending slash" (wth??) that allows me to slash with my saber only once and then a long countdown. I usually prefer to use "kinetic throw" during fights, but I also supplemented with my saber and now with "impending slash" my saber is basically useless in any fight. I have to give up this fight for now until something changes. My keyboard has taken a huge pounding trying to beat this stupid Vaylin thing. I mentioned on another post that Lightsiders are being punished for choosing the right thing and not hold the dark lord as a slave. I don't WANT a slave. A friend/companion yes; a slave, no. So for setting him free, I'm left with the inability to complete a story because I don't have a companion. It's not good enough to "run to the healing memory circles whenever they appear" . I always get caught or slammed or my running becomes lethargic. I NEED a companion!! Another gripe I have is that the cutscene doesn't allow the player to chose to NOT sit on the throne. I DON'T WANT to sit on the blasted throne!! I would not have chosen it! I'm like George Washington; he was offered the kingship of America but he refused because people have fought and died to separate themselves from a tyrannical king. George Washington didn't want yet another regime that can sire future tyrants.

Change into a healing spec, even in rather poor armour you can heal yourself faster than she can damage you.

Worked like a charm on my sorc. Prior to that, i wasn't getting anwhere at all.

I found this walkthrough video for light side players without a companion that shows you how to beat her, on YouTube starting at 35.40 in the video by Vulkk.

Thanks for the advice. I watched it, but I still get grabbed, pushed and bounced by Vaylin that that toon in the video isn't receiving. According to what I'm reading from other Sage posts, they are prevented from much movement as is the situation that my Sage avatar is in. I believe the programmers gave the Sage the short end of the stick, as well as taking away the Sage ability to wield the lightsaber properly, which is so noncannon, it's both puzzling and aggravating. And my Shadow avatar no longer has her Kinetic Throw. This is NOT an improvement.

Ok, I officially suck - after using AoE 99% of the time through these last 2 expansions I no longer have the skills to beat this :)

She does too much damage to me too fast. I can get her affected by the first healing circle, but then I am too hurt and have to use the subsequent circles for myself.

70 Gunslinger. Time to go read a class guide and see how to optimize. Maybe that will help.

As a LS Shadow/Infiltration I did not have the Sith Lord as a healing companion. It took me about 6 times to do this fight. Early on I was learning the Boss' abilities, usually by flying off the platform. I learned to keep either stairs to my back or a wall if Vaylin was about to pop a red circle, but she kept stunning me and I could not get to the green circles in time.

So, I took advice off this thread and this is what worked for this class:

• Stay at the base of the stairs with the throne behind you when fighting inside the purple circle, if not then get the wall of the stairs behind you if you are off the the side or behind them. Twice she caught me with her AoE but this placement either kept me in place or I didn't fly far enough to fall off the platform.
  • Watch her stack, when it is at 25 or more go look for a green circle and save your stun break for this run. Sometimes I would find two green circles behind the stairs and I could either use both or save one for later. My interrupts were not doing anything to her, so I had to use this "Runaway!" tactic.
  • Use Force Speed if she follows you because you can LOS her and take minimal damage as you jump into green circles. Also, Force Speed worked wonders if you got caught just inside the red AoE circle and this got me out in time to grab a green circle behind the stairs.
  • Do not attack from outside the purple circle except with something like throwing your lightsaber to get her to follow you up the stairs a few steps.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Zooball
clarity

This is the worst and silliest idea of a fight ever and all this advice about standing in front of her is no use to any ranged attacker type as we do not even really hurt her and just get killed far to quick and cannot move very fast at all, When we fought Arcaan we had the faster movement and returning damage things here you have nothing and she kicks your *** in so fast it crazy. They need to fix it so ranged player can fight her as well.

Ok, I officially suck - after using AoE 99% of the time through these last 2 expansions I no longer have the skills to beat this :)

She does too much damage to me too fast. I can get her affected by the first healing circle, but then I am too hurt and have to use the subsequent circles for myself.

70 Gunslinger. Time to go read a class guide and see how to optimize. Maybe that will help.

Ok, I guess I didn't suck as bad as I thought. I took a look at my combat extras (the total of 8 points you get as you level) and spec'd everything into mobility, defense, and healing. As a Gunslinger/Sharpshooter there was a decent amount of damage mitigation and low percentage heals while in cover - and a 10% heal when using Hightail during Hunker Down. I was spec'd as total damage as the only 2 fights that you had to think about in these last 2 expansions was in the last chapter. Every other fight I just AoE'd everything and tried to stay awake (note that this excluded the group content I did for DvL - I played nice :) ).

Anyway, I beat the fight the first time after respec - basically just by letting Vaylin beat on me and waiting for the healing circles to hit her. I think I only had to use one or two of the circles myself (generally when the game lag didn't think I was in cover <sigh>). One advantage to this lame tactic is that she never builds to the big knockback so you don't have to worry about it.

So any other Gunslinger Sharpshooters that may be having problems - look at your combat extras and choose accordingly

Edited by AndasKastor

Hi! I also am having trouble with this fight (I am playing with a sniper). I have tried to defeat her too many times; now all of my armor is broken. There are no vendors nearby, so it is now impossible for me to defeat her without getting my armor healed. Is there a way to heal my armor? Because I really do not want to be stuck here!

Thanks for any help.

Sniper had no issues with this fight.

My shadow though. Good grief. I died to her twice and that healing orb pretty much was my salvation. I had to run to it on sight and hope she didn't stunlock me long enough to kill me.

Horrible fight on any class that doesn't have decent uptime on stun immunity.

The key to the fight is using the green circles. They do two things: Heal you or .... do an enormous amount of damage to Vaylin as well as stun her. Whenever they appear just position yourself between the green circle and Vaylin. She will come through it to get to you. Don't waste them on healing yourself unless you really have too, just use them to damage her.

Third attempt all I did was use them to damage her and the fight was surprisingly short. (This was with my Gunslinger).

Also, you can't damage her from range its reflected back to you. Once she's stunned damage her from melee range, but the real damage comes from the green circles.

Edited by seamusmc

I've tried till my armor wore out and I can't defeat Vaylin's spirit. I'm a commando with good gear but that makes no difference what so ever. I can't find any "secret" way of doing it, so why would they make it impossible to win. If something doesn't change I may have to find a new game to play.

In other words it's a 'ranged need not apply' fight? Whee, that'll be fun.

I really appreciate EA taking away my stockstrike even more now!

Oh please.... nearly all mmorpg boss fights are more stressful to melee. How often do you have an instant death attack appear on the ground near you? Melee has to move out of death circles and potentially bad debuff fields on a constant basis.

Hi! I also am having trouble with this fight (I am playing with a sniper). I have tried to defeat her too many times; now all of my armor is broken. There are no vendors nearby, so it is now impossible for me to defeat her without getting my armor healed. Is there a way to heal my armor? Because I really do not want to be stuck here!

Thanks for any help.

You can quick travel to stronghold/fleet and repair there. Just click the play button for the chapter when you want to try again, it should start you where you left off.

Not sure how many are still looking for this, based on how long the update has been out.

My experience was with a DPS melee. I'm running a LS Sentinel, and once I struggled for maybe 10-15 tries, I finally got a strategy down that worked.

Light Side Sentinel, No Companion:

• I drew her off to the side, directly in the path of where the green circles will go, away from the stairs. My strategy involves avoiding the red circle completely.
  • I stood in the purple circle (as others have suggested) to avoid her damaging / hindering attacks and focused on localized damage.
  • I used any damage reduction abilities when the cooldowns refresh. Even with this, I found it very difficult to use any of the green circles on her, since I didn't have much health to spare.
  • Get 30 stacks of the special effect on her up as fast as possible. Blade Barrage and basic attacks are the easiest way to do this. Do not use long charge-up attacks that only count as one strike.
  • Use the Sentinel's interrupt ability to stop her from slamming you into the ground. This one is a hard one to survive through. There's a drain effect later that your interrupt ability should have refreshed for as well.
  • When she hits 30, a couple of seconds will pass (with no more stacks appearing). Just keep damaging her. She will curl up before unleashing her blast. As soon as she curls up, run towards the back of the room (where the green circles have probably started coming around). I found sometimes I would run through the green circles in the larger red attack range, and other times I would run back to where a green circle was just about to enter it. She will not move during this stage, which means you'll be able to get out of the circle easily.
  • As soon as the burst goes off, use your Sentinel's approach ability to jump back in. She won't move, won't pounce on you, and you avoid more damage by rushing in to engage her again.

It took maybe 5 or 6 cycles of this, and my health dropped from 100% down to maybe 30%, then back up to 90-100%, and then back down to maybe 40%, etcetera. Not interrupting her really damaging abilities or straying from the purple circle before she hits that nova attack are a quick way to die.

Hope this helps someone!

Are you standing within 3 meters when you attack her?

It's possible that you're killing yourself, sometimes if you attack when it looks like you're in melee range, the game thinks you're too far away and reflects the damage. I actually stood almost inside her on my Merc and found that helped a lot.