defeat Vaylin's spirit.

kenbe

My main is an all 228 and level 10 augmented gunslinger, and I don't last a minute. I'm not crap, I would say I play a B+ gunslinger. the only story fight I have ever previously struggled with was the Ilum boss sith form way back when.

I'm not going to complain that the spirit is overpowered. Clearly others get through it.

My beef is the way I am struggling to play as a gunsliger, in a tradional gunslinger way, and get wiped within a minute every time.

I have followed the Dulfy method, and all that is repeated above, but I get wiped. I'm not crying about it, I'll beat it in some way eventually.

I just think it's slightly outragious to have a fight mechanic that makes a player play in a way they have not learned during conventional story play.

Story mode is supposed to be, to my understanding, a way to learn the ropes in your particular field, in the example of a gunslinger, take cover, immobilise, and fill them full of holes.

This fight doesn't reflect my understanding.

You can't group, to at least invite a guildmate for heals/support.

Please rethink and modify this fight's mechanics, not for me, I'll find a way, I always do, but for those that don't have the support of countless toons crafting mods and meds etc.

Ta.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

I just think it's slightly outragious to have a fight mechanic that makes a player play in a way they have not learned during conventional story play.

<snip>

But the way they teach you to play during conventional story play is to sweeping gunfire every group - at least that is what it taught me. In some of the old H4 content I would have to CC and single target, but 99% of the content (including KoTFE and KoTET is do an area of effect and watch everything die.

What do you have your leveling ability choice points in? I was getting destroyed by her (had to repair my gear twice) - once I reset the abilities and chose defense and healing (hunker down helpers, healing when rolling to cover while hunker down is active, etc.) I was able to defeat her the first try.

It could well be difficult, but it is plain impossible for some classes. And requires dropping the chapter, going to the Fleet, resetting Kombat Profs (maybe that would help me, at least, but not likely; Sith Sorc is not fit for that fight in any of his ways as he is ranged-only by default), buying new gear and then just trying to survive until she comes to healing memory.

So fight of mastery is turned into fight of gear and sheer luck (as I said, the circles spawned very slowly in my case, which was the keystone for my demise). That is not right, and the justification 'if anyone could do it, nothing is bad with the fight' does not work as it is about luck, not mastery.

And well, you can still have that unbalanced fight as it is, just make it veteran level, not story level one. Story level was meant as EASY, wasn't it? I enjoyed hard solo fight with Arcann, because I had to think and to use my class strong points (primarily ranged-ness and stunning Overload) and my attacks really harmed him. I enjoyed first fight with Vaylin, because it placed me in unusual (for a DPS) role of a group healer - I let my companions fight and supported them from the distance, sometimes having to run circles to restore my Force as healing is quite costy.

This fight's bad is not that it is hard; it is not for certain classes. The problem is, only for certain ones.

For others it is 'ábandon all you learned and just be lucky' fight. Not good at all. Especially for not very lucky players.

(Still didn't cope with it. Tried 10 times. Now I'm quite tired of that **** and wanna just drop the DLC. But they don't let me do it, and I'm bound to stay an Outlander even at the Fleet, and I cannot do story arcs and faction flashpoints and all. That's extremely unfair and ugly.)

Edited by LorcaGneditch

This is seriously freaking ridiculous. I have tried every little thing you could think of with my marauder and it's not working. They seriously screwed up on this fight. As someone said above me, it is basically impossible for some classes. I shouldn't be blowing through my credits fixing my gear because bio decided to throw a baffling veteran-level fight into story mode. If we wanted this level of difficulty, we'd set our story progression to veteran. This needs to be fixed. At least give us a freaking companion of some sort for heals. AT LEAST.

It IS veteran level. BY DEFAULT. You launch the game - it is pre-set at Vet level.

As I recall they had to patch the same glitch in KotFE - the 'Fight for Odessen' chapter was simple unlaunchable in Story mode. Seems old habits prevail.

(As for me, I'd prefer a tank companion, but that is just the question of personal choice and comp settings))

Edited by LorcaGneditch

It IS veteran level. BY DEFAULT. You launch the game - it is pre-set at Vet level.

As I recall they had to patch the same glitch in KotFE - the 'Fight for Odessen' chapter was simple unlaunchable in Story mode. Seems old habits prevail.

(As for me, I'd prefer a tank companion, but that is just the question of personal choice and comp settings))

Holy heck, you're totally right. That explains so much! I feel so dumb for not seeing it before. The story 'launch' option states that it is story mode, but when I open my mission log, it is permanently stuck on Veteran. Booooooooo. Thank you for pointing that out because I was seriously baffled at what was going on.

It could well be difficult, but it is plain impossible for some classes. And requires dropping the chapter, going to the Fleet, resetting Kombat Profs (maybe that would help me, at least, but not likely; Sith Sorc is not fit for that fight in any of his ways as he is ranged-only by default), buying new gear and then just trying to survive until she comes to healing memory.

<snip>

I bolded a bit from your post. As a sub you can change the combat proficiencies in the field I believe - at least it allowed me to and I never bought any type of field respec. Also you can leave the chapter at that fight to go fix gear or do other stuff without resetting the chapter. When you go back it puts you at the start of the fight.

I have no idea about it being in veteran mode, though. I haven't taken a sorc through here yet (I am working on it). My sub will run out before I reach KotET so I don't know if I will still be able to do it (I think I will be able to, but I won't be earning GC points, but we will see).

I re-subbed a couple of weeks ago to play thru KotET with the 3 toons that I had completed KotFE with. I discovered this thread, and it scared the crap outta me, so I took each of the 3 toons to the AH and purchased a full set of blue 220 level 66 armor (7 pcs) as soon as each one hit 66 early in KotET. I also bought purple 228 weapons for each (my Marauder only got a 228 main hand, and had to settle for a blue 220 offhand). Relics, ear piece, and implants were a mixture of 208-228 pieces. I also had a purple 228 chest on my Sniper from a Command Chest.

First I did the fight with my LS Sage. He never makes a DS decision, so he let Lord Dramath go earlier. He also forgave Senya, so he had her and her scar-faced son on hand . I didn't die once, and thought the fight was long and tedious but not hard.

Next was my big red DS Sith Marauder. He held onto Lord Dramath, but killed Senya. He died once to Vaylin's spirit because he got out of position and she blew him into space.

Before I ran my last toon, my LS Sniper (who let Lord Dramath go but forgave Senya), thru the battles, I came back to this thread to check for updates. That's when I noticed some new comments added in the last 24 hrs that said the fight now defaulted to Veteran Mode and that you couldn't change it. I checked my game, and sure enough, that was the case (I don't know about the other two toons...Chapter IX was set to Story when I started with them, and I didn't check it later before the big fight as I did with my Sniper).

I *feel* like the fight with the Sniper was considerably harder, but it *could* have just been the knowledge that I was now in Veteran Mode psyching me out...no way to know for sure. Anyway, I died twice in the Spirit of Vaylin fight, both times when I let my health get too low and I couldn't get to a green healing circle in times. After that, I started saving my Covered Escape skill until I needed it to boogie out for a healing circle. This helped a lot. The Vaylin fight would have been pretty frustrating w/o some ability to get loose from her and jump in the healing circles....

TL;DR - tough fight, but by no means impossible, at least for the 3 classes I tried.

I thought about using boosts to run my toons from the other 5 classes thru just to compare them, but the thought of doing those nine chapters again made blood come out my ears *and* my eyes. I'm outta here....

P.S. I just discovered that I have one unspent skill point left on my Sniper....doh

He had Senya and Arcann?! D'oh, how? I forgave them, too, but I was alone in that memory fight!

I think what he was saying was that he had Senya and Arcann applies to the fight against Valkoran, not Vaylin. The Valkoran fight was easy compared to the Vaylin fight. They (Arcann and Senya) joined me for Valk's fight as I had spared/forgiven them with my smuggler.

Who the hell designed this fight? Seriously. This is beyond tedious.

I tried to play through it with my sniper. I mean after they hamstrung me already with taking away any sort of melee ability.. and all of the ****** new content is just full of boss fights you can't be a sniper on... because F-U Sniper and your non existant mobility... Forcing me to play the most mobile of the power suits.. and even then you come up with this gods be damned fight? Where the boss takes off 75% of my health in a single second.. so i have to run around the middle and try to catch these way to infrequent freaking healing globes?!

Not only is the Story terrible as non Force User, but no you also decided lets create an even worse boss fight?!

Its more than clear that Bioware doesn't want them around anymore.. So why do you not freaking remove the class from the game already? I mean as opposed to go to any length you can find to make them even less appealing and more tedious, like with a freaking impossible bossfight, which you have to fight with your least damaging abilities, because you can't freaking get into cover to channel them without the boss facehugging you.

What a tedious game.

I hate this. More than 30 deaths. No progress retained. No strategy is sufficient for my Sorc. Any lousy, meager progress depends on luring her into random healing thoughts. And with every senseless new death at the mercy of this poorly designed fight, I can more clearly feel my subscription lapsing.

I hate this. More than 30 deaths. No progress retained. No strategy is sufficient for my Sorc. Any lousy, meager progress depends on luring her into random healing thoughts. And with every senseless new death at the mercy of this poorly designed fight, I can more clearly feel my subscription lapsing.

I understand your frustration, but the healing thoughts are not random. The first one starts immediately where you spawn and heads to the right. If you move to the right and then pull Vaylin with a non-damaging ability she will come over to you and get zapped by it. While she is stunned you can then move over to the left of the stairs where the next thought spawns - it moves toward where you spawned.

The third one spawns behind the stairs. I forget which way it moves out as I usually am waiting on top of it for healing me at that point. After the third one it goes back to the first.

When I beat her on my smuggler I had her eat the first 2, then used one for myself. Then she ate the 4th one and I used the 5th and 6th for myself. She ate the 7th one and I think that killed her.

I don't recall whether I actually tried to damage her when I was in range (I pulled her with a flash grenade). I was mainly worried about using all the tricks I had to resist damage etc.

I understand your frustration, but the healing thoughts are not random. The first one starts immediately where you spawn and heads to the right. If you move to the right and then pull Vaylin with a non-damaging ability she will come over to you and get zapped by it. While she is stunned you can then move over to the left of the stairs where the next thought spawns - it moves toward where you spawned.

The third one spawns behind the stairs. I forget which way it moves out as I usually am waiting on top of it for healing me at that point. After the third one it goes back to the first.

When I beat her on my smuggler I had her eat the first 2, then used one for myself. Then she ate the 4th one and I used the 5th and 6th for myself. She ate the 7th one and I think that killed her.

I don't recall whether I actually tried to damage her when I was in range (I pulled her with a flash grenade). I was mainly worried about using all the tricks I had to resist damage etc.

I tried all this and I have lost 50 times. I am sick of this. I heard you can group up for this fight. I need help.

I also did not use the holligrom ( bad spelling) and I still got no help. anybody want to join up with me. I just am not good enough I guess and much older then when I was young and good at this. I am 70 now. Can we form a group please

I tried all this and I have lost 50 times. I am sick of this. I heard you can group up for this fight. I need help.

I also did not use the holligrom ( bad spelling) and I still got no help. anybody want to join up with me. I just am not good enough I guess and much older then when I was young and good at this. I am 70 now. Can we form a group please

What server are you on? I think I the only character I have that could help is on JC (the smuggler that I described in my previous posts). I am now a preferred status, but it should still work I think. I'll be happy to help if I can.

What server are you on? I think I the only character I have that could help is on JC (the smuggler that I described in my previous posts). I am now a preferred status, but it should still work I think. I'll be happy to help if I can.

I am on the Shadowlands Server. My Char Name is Varrune

I hope you can help.

This is stuck in Veterns mode for sure. It is to hard to be story and I only want story

Doesn't EA ever read this????

Edited by Varune

I too had a ton of trouble with this fight until I figured out a good strategy for non force users. Stand a tiny bit in front of where the first healing thought spawns and survive until it respawns. Once it respawns, you can either go into it to heal or move so Vaylin will get hit and stunned by it. Rinse and repeat for like 10 minutes and eventually she'll be dead and you'll be somewhat proud of yourself.

I am on the Shadowlands Server. My Char Name is Varrune

I hope you can help.

This is stuck in Veterns mode for sure. It is to hard to be story and I only want story

Doesn't EA ever read this????

I am sorry, but I don't have any characters on Shadowlands. I wish I could help