(Spoilers) 1st part of DK is overtuned in vet mode

keitzy

My guess is that the purpose of veteran mode is to add replay value. Chapter 1 has been a nice challenge in VM but is too easy to add replay value. So, for my part I enjoy getting owned.. I will return when I am ready., Now, ideally, SM would be just a tad easier than current VM and VM a bit harder (at least the easier chapters) but I don't expect that BW tunes the chapters just for me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I am not the only one unable to beat that encounter on my healing sorc in 216-220 no set gear. There was no way I could keep Acina up, her taking around 25-30k hits. Not speaking about the adds spawning that would instantly grab me so I had to retarget Acina to grab those as well.

I had to go to SH twice to repair before tuning it down.

I'm on a Jugg tank with 220/216 mix of gear, and the last fight of the chapter simply cannot be done. Acina is nuked almost instantly, and for whatever reason she stands right next to the boss- meaning when he uses his flame attack she dies seconds later.

There's hard/a challenge, then there's making things impossible to beat.

I'm on a Jugg tank with 220/216 mix of gear, and the last fight of the chapter simply cannot be done. Acina is nuked almost instantly, and for whatever reason she stands right next to the boss- meaning when he uses his flame attack she dies seconds later.

It might be impossible for a Jugg tank, I can't say.

But it certainly can be done on a L67 Sage with a rank 1 Acina healing.

I took about 40 tries though, give or take. You have to interrupt that wave of bolts move, whatever it is.

I bet this was tested in full legendary gear by Biofail.

The Leader also has a one shot ablity that does 206440 damage. 3 x Acina hp pool.

Jugg dps, made it through the cat fight after about 3 tries, then decided to raise Acina up to lvl 30.

The Geno fight at the end is a killer. Raised Acina up to lvl 40 and it's barely made a difference. The Leader's big hit is doing 251k, and even if I get Acina out of the fire, that just gives them time to line up their assassinate skills. I can kill one hunter no problem and it even seems like the fight is going well, but it all falls apart when Acina takes 90% in 1 shot and dies shortly after.

It reminds me of that arena fight how you have to manage your companion except the action is much faster and the hits far more deadlier. I wish my healer comps would just stick with me and attack what I attack instead of attacking stuff on their own...squirrel!

Edited by montaillou

I agree: certain parts of "Chapter 2: Run for the Shadows" are way too difficult in Veteran mode when compared to the other chapters.

There is definitely something wrong with the way this chapter is balanced: its Story mode feels like the other Chapter's Veteran mode and its Veteran mode feels like you accidentally walked into a raid instance by yourself.

It is one thing to have to use your abilities (stuns, interrupts, defensive cooldowns), your environment (LoS, etc) and having to heal after every fight to get through a chapter.

It is quite another to run into a brick wall because the enemies are putting out way too much damage (especially when compared to what they do in *all* the other chapters on Veteran mode).

The fact that Acina seems more interested in dealing damage than healing you is also a factor.

Specific things that need looking into to:

- Acina's behaviour (as mentioned, when she is set as a Healer she appears to be more interested in combat than healing)

- Primal Vine Cat damage (it is way too high (30K hits) especially when you factor in the little ones he spawns which also hit like trucks)

- GenoHaradan at the shuttle (the "HK droid's" Assassinate ability hits way too hard for the way the encounter is set up (the enemies are spread out and with those probe droids slowing you down, it is impossible to get to all of the "HKs" before they kill your companion))

- GenoHaradan Leader and Hunters in the temple (again, their damage is just too much when you factor in that you are being constantly slowed, stunned, pulled and pushed around the room and have no way to control the fight (not to mention the Leader's fire attack and insta kill ability :p))

Please do look into this Bioware.

(P.S: I have not completed Chapter 2 on Veteran mode. I tried. I really really tried. But it wasn't fun: it was frustrating and annoying. I had to raise Acina's affection level to 20 (a companion I won't even get to keep!). I spent about 2 million credits on repairs. I died more times on the 3 enemies listed above than in all of the other chapters put together. The last fight was impossible to do. Attempting this was not nice or fun. Chapter 2 needs fixing in Veteran mode.)

SO, Took me many hours on alts but I am almost BIS level 68 with a mix of grade 10/9 augments on my BH.

i craftted every thing. 7 level 68 artfiact armorings, 9 x level 68 power heavy mods etc... Relics, implants, ear peice, barrels. This fight should be like any normal hard mode type fight but it feels more like overtuned nightmare mode.

I last about 10 more seconds than previously.

There is something definately wrong with this fight.

I am one shotting weak trash so my gear is overtuned for this level for sure.

Edited by keitzy

I'll just add my frustration - the end of DK overtuned far worse than the 1st part.

The fight after encountering Lorman in the temple seems unwinnable. I am a Shadow tank, with Acina spec'ed healing.

It might be doable if Acina could stay alive, but I can't keep her from getting destroyed by AOEs. I have tried moving the mobs away from her, but because the constantly jump around/pull/stun/knockback it is impossible to keep her alive.

I know the fight is still damn hard and many people will have bad luck due to lags, unfortunate positioning of the elites, Acina doing stupid things etc... But ever since I have beaten it the first time with my sentinel I always wanted to share my strategy for melee not only with words but also via video to others who can watch it and prepare appropiately. Hopefully it will help some getting through that monster fight too. And if the people who have done it have some other or even better strategies they are welcome to share of course.

I was mostly old PvP gear (208 - except for weapons) with my marauder. Most recommend Acina to be at least rank 20 influence but for me, a minimum of rank 12 worked both times.

206440 damage from the Leader on Acina. 3 x her HP pool.

I keep geting two shotted. I cc the other elite and try to fight the leader but his damage is over the top.

being grappled, laggy servers and overtuned damage is not fun. I am all for hard content but this is absolute trash.

Where is the middle ground. Story mode is joke but veteran chapter 2 is way too overtuned.

i should have read the forums before wasting so many credits. i thought i was doing something wrong....

Seriosly bioware... i love what you do to the story, but you have to fix this broken game for the love of gaming and all things star wars. This deserves a much better experience than the one you are putting out. I've asked this once and i'm stupid enough to keep giving you my money hoping you guys make it better but the core problems are here since day 1 ffs. You don't put out polished produts, or even bother fixing the known problems. This engine needs a fix. I think it's the main base for ALL the problems

Finished veteran chapter 2 of KOTET on my sorc at 66 with the lvl one companion provided. Clever use of CC's and DOT kiting is key for some of the fights but it's doable if you know your toon and in some cases manually control the companion. Also finished the rest of the veteran levels of KOTET as I leveled that same toon, so none of the are impossible.

All three fights are ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with a fight being hard - and bosses being more difficult than KotFE - but this is just ludicrous. I can do everything else on vet mode bar this Chapter, because frankly I'm not in this game to spend 40+ tries on a single boss.

Seems to be not tested at all. Level 1 or 15 Acina doesn't make any difference. The first pack of cats is very doable but the assassins... I don't have cc on gunslinger and i can't interrupt everything that hits hard.

Funny when I switched to story the game bugged after I killed the assassins and I have endless combat...

Edited by Belleme

Finished veteran chapter 2 of KOTET on my sorc at 66 with the lvl one companion provided. Clever use of CC's and DOT kiting is key for some of the fights but it's doable if you know your toon and in some cases manually control the companion. Also finished the rest of the veteran levels of KOTET as I leveled that same toon, so none of the are impossible.

I would imagine being able to bubble and heal, and keep one mob locked down with CC continuously, probably helps a lot.

Some specs can't do even one of those things though...

Edited by LagunaD

I have only attempted veteran on sub-70 characters, all in 208 PvP gear with the lvl 1 companion provided. My experience:

1st try - Lightning Sorc: Got past the kittens, but the 2nd boss got me. Its channeled attack ticks for 16662 dmg when you don't have 70k HP. Nevertheless, the boss alone is survivable with use of LoS, selfheals and interrupts, but the slow on the 2nd group of adds just murdered me, as it reduced mobility, which was the key to any kind of survival.

2nd try - Concealment Operative: Kittens done, 2nd boss done. I'm on the leaders in the temple atm. Preventing the 1-shot isn't a problem, survivability is manageable, but Lady Acina just gets herself murdered every time. I haven't yet figured out a way to do this fight.

3rd try - Corruption Sorc: Eh.... not managed past the kittens. Either too much incoming damage (if the comp is not a tank) or no outgoing damage.

With that said, please DON'T nerf this. As I mentioned this was in 208 gear, with lvl 1 comp, sub lvl 70 character. I fully expect this to be doable with proper gear and companion. And for once, solo play is challenging. If anything, buff other content to this level. If you don't want it to be hard, go story mode.

And stop with the "I don't mind it being hard but only hard enough so that I can still 1-shot it" bull.... please. If you can 1-shot it, it's not hard.

Just to note: veteran mode was stated as tuned to a companion level of 20 minimum.

Are you being forced to use a level 1 companion by the encounter?

If it is the encounter I am thinking of , then you have to use Acina and she not really your companion but it can still be done if you use interrupts.

I have only attempted veteran on sub-70 characters, all in 208 PvP gear with the lvl 1 companion provided. My experience:

1st try - Lightning Sorc: Got past the kittens, but the 2nd boss got me. Its channeled attack ticks for 16662 dmg when you don't have 70k HP. Nevertheless, the boss alone is survivable with use of LoS, selfheals and interrupts, but the slow on the 2nd group of adds just murdered me, as it reduced mobility, which was the key to any kind of survival.

2nd try - Concealment Operative: Kittens done, 2nd boss done. I'm on the leaders in the temple atm. Preventing the 1-shot isn't a problem, survivability is manageable, but Lady Acina just gets herself murdered every time. I haven't yet figured out a way to do this fight.

3rd try - Corruption Sorc: Eh.... not managed past the kittens. Either too much incoming damage (if the comp is not a tank) or no outgoing damage.

With that said, please DON'T nerf this. As I mentioned this was in 208 gear, with lvl 1 comp, sub lvl 70 character. I fully expect this to be doable with proper gear and companion. And for once, solo play is challenging. If anything, buff other content to this level. If you don't want it to be hard, go story mode.

And stop with the "I don't mind it being hard but only hard enough so that I can still 1-shot it" bull.... please. If you can 1-shot it, it's not hard.

My problem is that the fight is too hard given the constraints they put on you (Acina lvl 1 for example). A slight nerf would be all that is required to make it hard but not verging on the impossible, particularly for certain specs. A similar case is the Purification droids on Chaoter 4 - my Shadow cannot get past them on vet because he doesn't have any real AoE abilities so I get roasted.

My problem is that the fight is too hard given the constraints they put on you (Acina lvl 1 for example). A slight nerf would be all that is required to make it hard but not verging on the impossible, particularly for certain specs. A similar case is the Purification droids on Chaoter 4 - my Shadow cannot get past them on vet because he doesn't have any real AoE abilities so I get roasted.

You can actually have Acina at any level. Just exit the instance and pump her full of gifts.

I'm not always clear if people are serious or this is a mock angry thread.

Veteran mode was balanced for a level 20 companion and I think tier 2 gear with master mode going to be for level 50 companion and tier 3 gear. To say I can't compete with a level 1 companion and under geared shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

People wanted more of a challenge and they got it, now personally I believe the team put Vet mode in to mock people in bad gear with low influence companions claiming they wanted it harder. They are now no doubt laughing at all these people that thought they were so good wiping on trash.

But get 234 gear, get your companion to rank 30+ and then say its not balanced and you have an argument, but if you find it too hard maybe your not as good as you think and need to practice more on story mode.