(Spoilers) 1st part of DK is overtuned in vet mode

keitzy

I'm a Sentinel with mostly 230 gear, and my Acina's rank is 32. I don't think I'm a particularly terrible player, but I'm finding it completely impossible to get past the GenoHaradan at the shuttle. I'm able to barely survive the initial set of adds by expending all of my defensive cooldowns, but when the second wave of adds appear, I have no more defenses, and die within seconds.

Edit: 500K credits later... I've finally managed to defeat the first GenoHaradan group, and here was my strategy:

(before starting, make sure ALL your defensive CDs are ready, including Resolute, since you'll definitely need it.)

Start by aggroing the GenoHaradan so that he stays on you instead of Acina, then immediately proceed to kill the probe droid which is pretty weak. While killing the probe droid, activate Guarded by the Force so that you can survive the ranged Terminate hits from the other two droids. Then kill the other droids, and then start DPSing the GenoHaradan (interrupt Extreme Prejudice as quickly as you can).

Soon he'll summon another group of adds which can consist of probe droids or assassin droids. Pray that it's only probe droids. After you kill these adds, you can take down the GenoHaradan the rest of the way.

Killing the three bosses at the end is another matter. Acina gets annihilated within 10 seconds, and almost deliberately steps into every AOE attack from the bosses. After ~40 attempts, I'm giving up and not coming back to this.

Edited by dbrant

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not always clear if people are serious or this is a mock angry thread.

Veteran mode was balanced for a level 20 companion and I think tier 2 gear with master mode going to be for level 50 companion and tier 3 gear. To say I can't compete with a level 1 companion and under geared shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

People wanted more of a challenge and they got it, now personally I believe the team put Vet mode in to mock people in bad gear with low influence companions claiming they wanted it harder. They are now no doubt laughing at all these people that thought they were so good wiping on trash.

But get 234 gear, get your companion to rank 30+ and then say its not balanced and you have an argument, but if you find it too hard maybe your not as good as you think and need to practice more on story mode.

wanted to comment on this because of the changes in Gifting they added in. By removing Comms they made the T6 gifts insanely expensive ostensibly to force everyone to rely on the Cxp boxes for them. The problem though comes that if NMode is to be for 50 comps its going to be nearly impossible to accomplish. across all my 4 legacies ive got a grant total of 2 comps to 50 both of them Vette. and 2 40s both Lana. CXP boxes are far too random in their gifts to be a reliable source of companion influence.

They are going to seriously need to rethink how people can level their comps up before they release any master level content if the intent is to run it with a 50 comps.

Edited by catsi

wanted to comment on this because of the changes in Gifting they added in. By removing Comms they made the T6 gifts insanely expensive ostensibly to force everyone to rely on the Cxp boxes for them. The problem though comes that if NMode is to be for 50 comps its going to be nearly impossible to accomplish. across all my 4 legacies ive got a grant total of 2 comps to 50 both of them Vette. and 2 40s both Lana. CXP boxes are far too random in their gifts to be a reliable source of companion influence.

They are going to seriously need to rethink how people can level their comps up before they release any master level content if the intent is to run it with a 50 comps.

Just spend a few million and get the rank 5 purple gifts on fleet. More clicking, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

What the hell, have another AAR:

From the perspective of a defence Guardian at 67, the cats weren't too awful, even with a dreadful hodgepodge of 204/208/216 gear and an ungifted Acina. I had to accept that I'd die while tunnelling the silver mob, but it would be down. Since it isn't strictly linked to the elite, I could rez and kill the elite cat alone, as long as I remembered to let the adds it summons gather up (they trickle in rapidly one by one) before slamming down a buffed Guardian Slash and a Force Sweep.

The middle fight by the shuttle was actually okayish because it was possible to line-of-sight everything into a nice bunch with nearby terrain while keeping Acina passive until she was needed. Died a handful of times, but nothing to moan about.

The final fight was a nightmare. Took about forty tries over a few days, during which I had to upgrade most of my gear to level 66 220s and Acina to 22, until RNGesus finally gave me a pass. Heroic Moment was obviously helpful, as was Unity in the second quarter of the fight. Getting initial aggro, interrupting the Leader, and Acina-herding are the main challenges.

I know there are a few video guides to this thing, but I'll mention a few of the things I found most important:

The Leader's Hail of Bolts has to be interrupted, always, on the first tick. It cannot be interrupted sooner because the Leader can cast other abilities, like Missile Salvo and Aimed Shot, and burning the interrupt on those will leave you vulnerable to Hail of Bolts.

The Leader telegraphs his next move with a flame sweep, always. If he grapples you before the flame sweep, stay by him, have him targeted (I found hitting 'target nearest enemy' useful here) and watch the cast. It's likely that he'll cast a Hail of Bolts either immediately or following some relatively harmless move.

One of the Leader's moves is the 15s long (or so) Ultimate Shot channel, which serves as a dps window for the adds. If he does this, it is safe to disengage and dps one of the adds until his channelling is nearly over (about 2s to go, for safety) and needs to be interrupted. As a tank Guardian, my burst kind of sucks, so I needed a couple of those windows per add to get the adds down, especially given all the cc and jumping around they do. Unlike the Leader's other abilities, Ultimate Shot can be interrupted with any damage dealing ability, not an actual interrupt ability, which means that one can saber throw it and keep damaging the add. If he does not grapple, it means he'll just try to Ultimate Shot again, which is excellent. If he does grapple, expect a Hail of Bolts, as above.

Upon engagement, it's best to sic Acina manually on the add that is to die first, using the first button of her pet control bar. Failing to do so may mean that she'll decide to hang around in the Leader's melee range, which he may take as license to loose an uncontrolled Hail of Bolts, which likely means it's curtains. She will also beeline for the Leader if you apply any cc that can be broken by damage (like Awe) to her add.

Do not accidentally damage the Leader too much or he may enter his second phase, which is likely going to end in defeat if the adds are still up.

Sometimes Acina will simply stand on a red circle and die. She just will. It is not your fault. It does not make you less of a human being.

In the second phase, during which the Leader will occasionally rise into the air and throw around fire mines, Acina of course has to be flicked between passive and active so that she follows you and avoids standing in the fire, and that's where most of the RNG comes in; sometimes she'll find a way into the fire while following you around anyway. Occasionally, the Leader will grapple you during this move, at which point have a method of leaving the area immediately to avoid his one-shot descent (Blade Blitz works well) Since my burst sucks, I found it very useful to take advantage of his Ultimate Shot channels in this phase also, simply staying idle for most of the cast while Acina slowly healed us back up to deal with another round of his ********.

Honestly, this encounter would not be overtuned if we were given a way to command Acina to move to a particular spot during a fight and stay there while healing. If Bioware is going to design raid-flavour solo encounters that depend on companion AI, they really ought to put something like that in, or it will just end up an exercise in player frustration.

Is there maybe any kind of way to keep dumbmaster Acina from willingly entering melee range, when she is supposed to be a healer? I have spent a fortune on the Chapter 2 final fight by now, just because this freaking idiot of a sith will always deliberately walk into the flamethrower range of the boss. If she would have as much brain as a wump rat, she would stay at the range of 20m and the fight would be easy.

Absolutely idiotic to make the "tough" fight, by making the only companion I am allowed to use for it act like a moron.

This is by far the most stupid fight in the whole game, by forcing the player to depend on badly programmed AI.

Edited by JPryde

Ill add to the voices calling for a nerf on this chapter. egads its insane

the first fight was a pain but I figured it out quickly enough kill the silver fast and the gold usually follows before too many adds appear.

the second fight is and forgive my language bullpuckey. the amount of adds, adds summoned, and mechanics of control and damage are raid level in intensity and number. This fight needs massive retuning to lower the adds, reduce controls, and or damage and allow the companion to survive as even having boosted her to 20 she still gets murdered. leaving me facing all that by myself which includes a chain stun and chain slows along with 2 droids with massive dps channeled shots.

And I haven't even made it to the freaking third boss fight which everything ive read tells me is near impossible in its own right.

What the hell, have another AAR:

...One of the Leader's moves is the 15s long (or so) Ultimate Shot channel, which serves as a dps window for the adds. If he does this, it is safe to disengage and dps one of the adds until his channelling is nearly over (about 2s to go, for safety) and needs to be interrupted. As a tank Guardian, my burst kind of sucks, so I needed a couple of those windows per add to get the adds down...

Yes, I would sure like to use Ultimate Shot as a "dps window" to kill the adds, but unfortunately the only thing that happens is me being grappled around the room a bunch of times, and the adds jumping randomly wherever they please, which means I'm able to get about 10% of each add's HP in a single "window". Acina still gets killed long before I'm able to kill both adds, despite interrupting Hail of Bolts.

I should add that I've found all the other chapters to be an absolute breeze in Veteran mode. This one is just absurdly, unnecessarily impossible.

Edited by dbrant

• 2 weeks later...

The last fight is broken. I wouldn't mind just controlling my companion, put her on passive when she needs to dodge stuff and whatnot, but when she follows me, and then gets yanked right into the middle of a sodding cannonade with no chance of surviving no matter which stupid spec she's in that's when I call rubbish... I've gotten through everything else on veteran up until this point, but for the first time I find no possible way of beating this other than massive stroke of luck and sodding SCORPIO playing my character.

I enjoy a challenge, I hate when the whole fight which takes around 5-7 minutes to do can end in 2 seconds at any time.

I miss when this game wasn't so bursty but more methodical and smart....

PS. I think veteran mode shouldn't be the mode in which everything must be minmaxed to actually beat, but the "vanilla swtor" experience where you need to know how to play but not in the sense "You must be at least this tall to ride". I don't want to do the story again just for the challenge, not on the same character at least, and not right away for sure. Make that master mode for the super tryhardy, but let people have a middle ground where everything isn't kindergarten but not eyes-bloodshot-frustration station either.

Edited by Haukotus

I have literally tried this hundreds of times as both heals and dps Operative. I have a 36 Acina and have tried every conceivable combination of moves and approaches and die every time. The GenoHaradan utterly destroy me. I am well-geared and well-versed in tactics and this is just unimaginably difficult. If I ever find a trick to it, I will let you know, but as it stands, millions of credits later, I'm just so done with it.

On the plus side, I'm keeping Acina with me for now. :p

Edited by SweetAcacia

I have literally tried this hundreds of times as both heals and dps Operative. I have a 36 Acina and have tried every conceivable combination of moves and approaches and die every time. The GenoHaradan utterly destroy me. I am well-geared and well-versed in tactics and this is just unimaginably difficult. If I ever find a trick to it, I will let you know, but as it stands, millions of credits later, I'm just so done with it.

On the plus side, I'm keeping Acina with me for now. :p

Stealthers actually have the easiest time in the toughest fights of KOTET. :)

Why? You go in, sap one elite, kill the other elite and then immediately vanish. As long as you don´t leave the chamber, the dead elite stays dead. Yes, that is true and will happen, intended or not. ^^ Wait till your vanish is free again and proceed the same way with the other add until there is only the boss. Now, before you engage him I strongly recommend waiting for your vanish to be ready again, because if you messed up during the fight you still can reset it without the elites coming back. Once your dead however, you end up at the medbot farther away and the all the GenoHaradan are back.

I know I have already linked my video for the fight some pages ago here but in case you missed it and want to see all the phases of the bossfight and what to do before giving another try, i´m gonna put it here again.

Good luck.

EDIT:

This one is even better for you since it shows the perspective of a scoundrel healer.

Edited by Quangus