Dark vs. Light Event

EricMusco

I have tried to look through all 160 pages (last refreshed) but my eyes might have glossed over the answer I am looking for....

My question is about the two new companions you get (the sent and the assassin), are they legacy bound.... like once you unlock them on the new toons you make do you get something similar to what we got for nico to "recruit" him early? Or are they locked to the specific toons that unlocked them and were S.O.L'ed on the rest of the toons?

Thanks for any info that can shed some light on my question.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried to look through all 160 pages (last refreshed) but my eyes might have glossed over the answer I am looking for....

My question is about the two new companions you get (the sent and the assassin), are they legacy bound.... like once you unlock them on the new toons you make do you get something similar to what we got for nico to "recruit" him early? Or are they locked to the specific toons that unlocked them and were S.O.L'ed on the rest of the toons?

I read somewhere that you will get them in the mail on all your characters but don't remember where and couldn't easily verify that.

Edited by Savej

Way back on the beginning which is easy lost in all these pages.

Good question! The rewards are delivered in three different methods, depending on the reward:

Titles - These are tied to the Achievement and therefore are unlocked for each character in the Legacy.

Dark vs. Light Packs and Pioneer Armor Set - These will be delivered via in-game mail to the character who completes the final objective in that event level.

End of event Cosmetic Rewards - Things like the Companion and the vehicles will come at the end of the event and will be delivered to every character on the account, similar to the monthly sub rewards.

-eric

That same player greed is largely under influence and being cultivated by the decisions and marketing MO that Bioware continues to shove down our throats. If you do not see how the two are intricately related to eachother then perhaps understanding how marketing works might not be your strong point.

I mean no offense by saying that, but all I can ask in that case is that you take my word for it.

Personally, I do not condone or agree with the way things are going on the GTN's (Yes, I've been keeping an eye on several servers' GTN's). I do not agree with alot of the ridiculous limitations Set up by EA/BW on F2P/preffered players.

Not to mention that when with Kotfe there was clearly an inflation going on, that F2P/Preffered credit cap remained unchanged. As though trying to tell those players to sub or *Get The Smurf Off*, so to speak.

You can not blame "All the other players" oposed to yourself, when the Rot is able to spread itself because nothing is being done to counter it. Moreso, the whole gambling packs & ridiculous rarity situation (The latter also known as Unobtainium items) continue to entice the ridiculous pricings even further.

Back to your own statements though,... If you're trying to tell me that you can't buy any mounts or other items on GTN under 350k I'd urge you strongly to look again... That you can not afford all items as easily as someone that subscribes should still be quite logical however.

GTN has 2 extremes when it comes to cartel items. The items everyone already has and/or no one wants. GTN is cluttered to the brim with those at prices that almost give them away. And then the superrare and popular/wanted items. (Usually the same) . Those that get extravagant prices and often land in re-seller hands -> Supply and Demand.

The RNG gap (chance that they spawn from a pack) between those 2 types of items is so ludicrous at the moment that on the one hand you have pile of junk forming in cargo bays and on GTN that no one even really wants anymore,

and on the other hand items so rare that there's always some people willing to drop and ask absurd prices for them.

Now back to the LS/DS Fiasco...

Okay so we are on the same page, I am not a f2p nor Preferred yet I have been in the past. And those were examples not something stated in fact or concrete. As for my stuff I give it away if I don't want it mainly to guild memebers who just joined or people I run with within my guild. And furthermore I do less shopping at the GTN, if I want creds I run alot of Heroic 2 to get them. The problem is that most players became lazy and wanted a quick way of getting creds. Before this I was soloing on my Sith Tank through a bunch of FP to make creds... I could care less about what items are on the GTN. And please you can not say anything about supply and demand because if that was the case EA/Bioware would not be looking at this so crosseyed and come with an event like this just giving away items. So now like I stated before those items you thought would be worth something is plain uselss in a few days.

Edited by yingzi

One last point I'd throw out- making this event push players to quickly (relatively speaking) consume all content could really, really backfire on them if they continue with just a short chapter each month as content. Now, they really will have pushed players to play through almost everything (and quickly as well rather than enjoying the ride) and will have an even less tolerant (if that is possible) player base when content shortages come in to play. Edited by Jamtas

Same. :D Btw, what server you on? I'm on JC

Hey, another JC resident!

Anyway, back on topic. At least this event has you out and playing the game, instead of sitting in front of a slot machine, only with none of the actual excitement of a slot machine, no booze, and no convenient floor shows. And the prizes are mostly not RNG based. It ain't great, but compared to the last 2 summers? Where you were literally clicking a button on cooldown until you ran out of tokens, buying more, and doing it again? Ay yai yai.

My initial childish anger at this event has passed. That said I still think there are things on this event that are flawed. I myself am a long time veteran of the game so these points don't apply to me but I can still recognize how newer players are getting the shaft.

-Earn 1 mil credits on a toon

Ok *sends over 1 mil credits.

Now I realize 1 mil credits isn't that hard to make for some but for people just starting the game from this event? They might have a more difficult time vs veterans who have resources new players don't. Point is probably weakest since the event will last 3-4 months so plenty of time.

-Kill 50 NPCs with HK-51 the companion active.

One thing I remember about getting hk is that the mission was a pain in the butt. Veterans who already have him can simply copy him over with cartel coins and a click of a button. Perhaps another one of those missions where it is just time consuming but still an advantage veterans have over new players. (actually i'm not sure if you can simply buy hk vs doing the mission can someone clarify?)

-Complete all hard mode flashpoints

Now someone already pointed out that a veteran can simply create a new character then send gear over via legacy. In game it is hard enough getting people to do hm fps because almost no one wants to do them even with this event coming out. New players, with new characters who don't have any gear or experience with them are going to be thrown under a rug when trying to pug this because a few mindsets will think "Oh you don't have enough decent gear." Or "I don't want to take the time to teach you the fights." Or maybe" We're looking for an experienced ranged." Some of the hm fps are no joke especially for new players. Veterans most likely have a guild or a group of dedicated friends that will carry each other through whereas new players are just learning how to play the game. A possible solution imo would be to at least reduce the number of hm fps for the requirement.

I'm not sure what would be replaced to make tier 6 still 'legendary' but I feel the above still could have been handled better. Some might point out that this could be a reward for veterans who supported the game from an early vantage and put the time in, but I saw a few posts about the event being 'equally fair' and wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Edited by Darth_Xyphos

First off coming from a idiot who has read all 160+ pages...yes the answer is there, but I will answer again for you to find the info you seek in easier way. :D Yes, the companion (If you reach Eternal tier of the rewards) is account wide, just like Nico, so once you unlock it, you will get them on every character on any server. Now, the companion will be given out AFTER the event ends. (No end date as of yet, but it looks like the end of Oct.) Also there other thing you must remember is you will not be getting both. Only one, and that one is determined by the overall total score of lightside or darkside points accumulated by characters made on or after June 28th. Which means even if you full lightside on every character and darkside wins overall, you can ONLY get the darkside companion. (There are thoughts as to the "losing" companion will be added down the road as a CM, cartel pack or some other reward.) Basically, yeah half of the community misses out on what they want. Also there is will a scale either here on the website or someplace else that will count the totals and the devs will update us as it goes on. (Hopefully) Hope that helps. :)

One last point I'd throw out- making this event push players to quickly (relatively speaking) consume all content could really, really backfire on them if they continue with just a short chapter each month as content. Now, they really will have pushed players to play through almost everything (and quickly as well rather than enjoying the ride) and will have an even less tolerant (if that is possible) player base when content shortages come in to play.

Yep. :(

Hey, another JC resident!

Anyway, back on topic. At least this event has you out and playing the game, instead of sitting in front of a slot machine, only with none of the actual excitement of a slot machine, no booze, and no convenient floor shows. And the prizes are mostly not RNG based. It ain't great, but compared to the last 2 summers? Where you were literally clicking a button on cooldown until you ran out of tokens, buying more, and doing it again? Ay yai yai.

I pvped while waiting, helped break up the stupidity.

My initial childish anger at this event has passed. That said I still think there are things on this event that are flawed. I myself am a long time veteran of the game so these points don't apply to me but I can still recognize how newer players are getting the shaft.

-Earn 1 mil credits on a toon

Ok *sends over 1 mil credits.

Now I realize 1 mil credits isn't that hard to make for some but for people just starting the game from this event? They might have a more difficult time vs veterans who have resources new players don't. Point is probably weakest since the event will last 3-4 months so plenty of time.

-Kill 50 NPCs with HK-51 the companion active.

One thing I remember about getting hk is that the mission was a pain in the butt. Veterans who already have him can simply copy him over with cartel coins and a click of a button. Perhaps another one of those missions where it is just time consuming but still an advantage veterans have over new players. (actually i'm not sure if you can simply buy hk vs doing the mission can someone clarify?)

-Complete all hard mode flashpoints

Now someone already pointed out that a veteran can simply create a new character then send gear over via legacy. In game it is hard enough getting people to do hm fps because almost no one wants to do them even with this event coming out. New players, with new characters who don't have any gear or experience with them are going to be thrown under a rug when trying to pug this because a few mindsets will think "Oh you don't have enough decent gear." Or "I don't want to take the time to teach you the fights." Or maybe" We're looking for an experienced ranged." Some of the hm fps are no joke especially for new players. Veterans most likely have a guild or a group of dedicated friends that will carry each other through whereas new players are just learning how to play the game. A possible solution imo would be to at least reduce the number of hm fps for the requirement.

I'm not sure what would be replaced to make tier 6 still 'legendary' but I feel the above still could have been handled better. Some might point out that this could be a reward for veterans who supported the game from an early vantage and put the time in, but I saw a few posts about the event being 'equally fair' and wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

1. It says earn, so...im thinking that you must earn 1 mil on that character and not just send it over. (Could be wrong as the current 3 credit achievements are just send 10 mil over and BOOM done) Also with skills not costing anything anymore, you will make 1 mil just by doing the storyline or other content and continuing along. Its very easy now.

2. The requirement is not to get 50 kills with HK-51, just unlock him on a event character. You can only flat out buy him, if you have completed the mission at least once on any character in your legacy.

3. That is completely accurate. Yeah new people got kinda got screwed on that one, unless they find a guild willing to teach and take them through. I am willing sometimes to teach new people, but it has to be planed. (At least for me) As when ever I do fps now its mainly to just farm them for achievements and i want people who are geared and know what the blasted blooming galaxy they are doing.

Don't know, but wish some were removed or replaced with something else.:D Lookin at you 8 classes to 50 and crafting to 550 all over again :mad::D

Edited by Lakemine

1. It says earn, so...im thinking that you must earn 1 mil on that character and not just send it over. (Could be wrong as the current 3 credit achievements are just send 10 mil over and BOOM done) Also with skills not costing anything anymore, you will make 1 mil just by doing the storyline and continuing along. Its very easy now.

2. The requirement is not to get 50 kills with HK-51, just unlock him on a event character. You can only flat out buy him, if you have completed the mission at least once on any character in your legacy.

3. That is completely accurate. Yeah new people got kinda got screwed on that one, unless they find a guild willing to teach and take them through. I am willing sometimes to teach new people, but it has to be planed. (At least for me) As when ever I do fps now its mainly to just farm them for achievements and i want people who are geared and know what the blasted blooming galaxy they are doing.

Don't know, but wish some were removed or replaced with something else.:D Lookin at you 8 classes to 50 and crafting to 550 all over again :mad::D

My knowledge regarding the event was received from http://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-dark-vs-light-event-list/ in which it lists the 50 kills for hk which is why I listed it that way, should have used the actual site as a reference so that's my bad. Fair point on the earning credits but if someone was going to do the crafting portion one can argue that would consume a fair amount of credits as well, granted i'm not sure how much so someone could still make over 1 mil credits if they level all 8 toons to 50.

I'm not too keen on the crafting either but that's something you can do while leveling. Some veterans might have old matts that would make it easier for them as well.

Edited by Darth_Xyphos

And please you can not say anything about supply and demand because if that was the case EA/Bioware would not be looking at this so crosseyed and come with an event like this just giving away items

You assume that is why they are doing it though... I however do not. You also have to be a sub for a number of the objectives. "Giving away" is not how I would express this Yingzi. Time often proves to be an even more valuable commodity than money does and I bet you this event is going to demand alot of it.

Also, no one is upset about older 'expensive/rare' cartel stuff being handed out as rewards. But rather the whole structure of this so called event.

Even the "Keyword NEW" companions aren't as new as they claim. And by the looks of it will be even more bland than Nico Okarr whom doesn't even look like Nico Okarr.

Kotfe turned companions Quantity over Quality, and even there the line keeps being pushed.

I can remake both LS/DS Companions in the character editor and dress them up all the same out of collections and legacy gear. Their excistence feels as if it was inspired by "OK LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH" rather than. Let's create something cool! And that pretty much sums up how this event is structured and organised too.

I don't even dare to hold my breath for their background/story involvement...

"SWToR is 5 years old, now let's show those who've been around that long a tutorial on how you're suposed to play the entire game."

It's rather hard not to feel insulted.

Also just to give out more information. The boxes we are going to get and the rewards that drop, even though they are account bound, and the armors are account bound you can still get the full armor set. First off, I just remembered that they changed the cartel collections a couple of months ago. Ok remember how before in order to get a full set unlocked in collections you had to have EVERY piece on that character or else it would not unlock? Well they changed it to all you have to do is bind what ever pieces you need on any character on any server, just has to be on your account. So for example, I have Satele Shan's chest piece bound on my JK, and then the rest of her armor set bound on my SW. Before I would have had to buy a another chest piece and bind it to my SW to get the set, now since the change because I have all the pieces bound, BOOM I can now unlock it unlock it in collections. And the items that can drop from the boxes are the same way. (At least going off of what was said and typed in the blog post) Meaning if you get Satele's upper armor on your JK, and the rest of the armor on your SW, just bind them all and BOOM you get the entire set. Now the major issue I see, is if we get doubles of the armors (which have happened in the past) then they are wasted, as they are character bound and cant do anything besides bind them or throw them out, which is just wrong. Or anything people already have. (Like I already have Satele's, Tulak Hord's and Revan Reborn's sets, but not any of the new lightsabers) Oh well, hope they listen and change it to a token and vendor system. Hope this helps clear up some confusion. :)(As even I was mad about this, till i did some thinking and remembered they changed it.):)

My knowledge regarding the event was received from http://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-dark-vs-light-event-list/ in which it lists the 50 kills for hk which is why I listed it that way, should have used the actual site as a reference so that's my bad. Fair point on the earning credits but if someone was going to do the crafting portion one can argue that would consume a fair amount of credits as well, granted i'm not sure how much so someone could still make over 1 mil credits if they level all 8 toons to 50.

I'm not too keen on the crafting either but that's something you can do while leveling. Some veterans might have old matts that would make it easier for them as well.

Hmm...someone needs to get in contact with that websites moderator, as that piece of info is wrong. I get my info from here and dulfy.net. Well at least with me when I do the farming of 6-8 classes to 50 I'm just farming heroics (which are good creds) get to 50, sell everything, send the creds over to my main, delete, rinse repeat.

Yeah, I have stacks and stacks of 2000+ mats in my legacy bank.....still don't want to do the crafting lol, but yeah, there are only 6 that are needed, and 2 classes (one imp one pub) so 3 each while leveling....eh.....still detest it :p

Edited by Lakemine

I am curious about these event packs will they be locked to that char you create? or will they be legacy bound ?

will we be able to trade the contents of the packs ?

Look at my forum post right under yours, it has the info you seek. Also...anyway you can change your name? :)

Really? Here are some synonyms for the word "monotonous":

tedious, boring, dull, uninteresting, unexciting, wearisome, tiresome, uninvolving, repetitive, repetitious, unvarying, unchanging, unvaried, humdrum, ho-hum, routine, mechanical, mind-numbing, soul-destroying; colorless, featureless, dreary; dullsville

I don't see the word "enjoyable" in that list.

Right so then when you repeat the content you do every day currently you aren't enjoying it? You're playing a game you don't enjoy? Or is that you can indeed find enjoyment from monotony?

Look at some of the words you posted right there, they seem to sum exactly what people currently PAY to play in this game. Namely repetitive or repetitious - are you not repeating the same thing every day you play this game?

If you're not and finding unique things to do in the game I would wager a lot of this event is not repetitive at all then as for it to be repetitive would mean you would have had to do it all numerous times ( ideally once if you want to get technical ) which would mean what you do normally you have also done numerous times making the game every day ... montonous. Is there enjoyment in monotony in this game or not?

Was doing all star fortresses enjoyable as that's monotony?

If the answer is "no it wasn't enjoyable" then you should question why you bother paying to play this game rather than this event ... the event is the least of your issues.

My only point is that this particular "event" is structured more like a job than a game. We will give you stuff if you run low level content you don't really want to do to help our metrics. I have no intention of participating and just wondering out loud why anyone would really find this fun. Or why you would defend it is as fun since even you admit it is monotonous.

I would just like to know what you do currently in the game? They structured all of KoTFE and the best way to generate credits int he game around running heroics which is really old content for the most part and expects you to do it day in and day out. What about the old dailies - you skipped all those then since that's more like a gob than a game right?

Why do you play this game if monotony is too much like work since games like this almost throw monotony at you as an expectation to progress?

Also just to give out more information. The boxes we are going to get and the rewards that drop, even though they are account bound, and the armors are account bound you can still get the full armor set. First off, I just remembered that they changed the cartel collections a couple of months ago. Ok remember how before in order to get a full set unlocked in collections you had to have EVERY piece on that character or else it would not unlock? Well they changed it to all you have to do is bind what ever pieces you need on any character on any server, just has to be on your account. So for example, I have Satele Shan's chest piece bound on my JK, and then the rest of her armor set bound on my SW. Before I would have had to buy a another chest piece and bind it to my SW to get the set, now since the change because I have all the pieces bound, BOOM I can now unlock it unlock it in collections. And the items that can drop from the boxes are the same way. (At least going off of what was said and typed in the blog post) Meaning if you get Satele's upper armor on your JK, and the rest of the armor on your SW, just bind them all and BOOM you get the entire set. Now the major issue I see, is if we get doubles of the armors (which have happened in the past) then they are wasted, as they are character bound and cant do anything besides bind them or throw them out, which is just wrong. Or anything people already have. (Like I already have Satele's, Tulak Hord's and Revan Reborn's sets, but not any of the new lightsabers) Oh well, hope they listen and change it to a token and vendor system. Hope this helps clear up some confusion. :)(As even I was mad about this, till i did some thinking and remembered they changed it.):)

Source on that? I really doubt that will be the case since I see a good chance for them to profit on it if they didnt change it .

This.

The game is supposed to be fun. They're leeching all fun out of it by making this demanding list of "achievements" and throwing a few bones to us in the form of bind on pickup "rewards."

Still questioning whether I really want to even give it the time of day. It's not going to be fun in the least.

I don't at all disagree with here I just wonder ...

Where were all these anti monotony people when 4.0 dropped? I would have loved for an outcry there when they thought that repeating heroics just to even progress to star fortresses ( which you then had to repeat ) or to build your alliance was a great game play decision.

I would have loved to see an outcry back then and maybe we'd actually be getting more "new" content now but since people kept quiet and kept paying they assumed this was what people wanted.

I honestly believe that this is more a wake up call for most people that this game is actually lacking on any new content and doesn't seem to be getting anything anytime soon which is really depressing than it is an actual problem with the event.

The event isn't the problem, the game in it's current state is the problem and the event just highlights this.

Unfortunately all they need do now is say "ok here have the achievements retroactively" and everyone will suddenly be happy and not realize the core issue is still not resolved with the game itself.

Has anyone else noticed that Makeb is NOT part of this event? Kind of odd don't you think, they got everything else.

In fact, seeing as all the levels of the event have you doing pretty much all parts of the game it almost seems as if BioWare wants players to experience it all before the game goes "bye-bye"......course that's what I would think if I was a negative person, good thing I'm not! :)

One last point I'd throw out- making this event push players to quickly (relatively speaking) consume all content could really, really backfire on them if they continue with just a short chapter each month as content. Now, they really will have pushed players to play through almost everything (and quickly as well rather than enjoying the ride) and will have an even less tolerant (if that is possible) player base when content shortages come in to play.

Hopefully with more reading now I can point out you can then that if they keep the same model they have now you can just skip the game for 6-9 months or however long it is until the last chapter and pay $15 to get it all in one hit.

This way during that time you can play other games with fresh new content and just wait for one big story in one hit as we no doubt all do whilst we await our favourite next big single player game that we are looking forward to to come out after announcement.

It's not that I want to drive people away, its' that I want to make Bioware realise this current model is crap and they need to make content to cater to everyone, not just a specific portion of the player base.