Petition: Server Transfers

UlaVii

His point was, obviously, comparing people who STARTED on populated servers (example: TRE) who get both community and shinies, and those who are stuck on the dying servers (example: TOFN) who must choose to have only 1 (at the same price at least). Honestly, I think everyone who takes a swift look at his post could realize that. Your response, however, indicates that you chose to interpret his post as if he blames BioWare for forcing people to think before spending coins, and that is indeed stupid.

You seem quite inclined to think your fellow posters are stupid or else you would realize what he meant and respond accordingly. But oh well, it is natural for argument to become less and less logic and more and more offensive...

Thanks, saved me some typing effort.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+ from me too

My guild too would have moved server if we could have taken our guildship/strongholds also as alot of work and credits went into it so we have had to stay put. One day in the near future I imagine our server in the EU will get so bad that to stay in game and part of the actual mmo scene we'll need to bite the bullet and leave.

Firmly believe all servers have taken a big hit since 4.0 KOTFE due to the lack of mmo content being released and people have either unsubbed or relocated to servers that were once 'HIGH' population but these days only 'standard'.

I feel for the people left on TOFN, seen a few threads of people reporting it's ghost town populations.

Sad Times.

Regarding the cost of 1000 coins that is about $10.00 and from the research I did on the price of transfers of other games this is still a bit cheaper. Of course, I may have missed some so the price is quite reasonable compare to other games since a lot of people still compare this game to others.

I don't play any other MMO so I could be completely wrong, but perhaps these MMOs don't have a bunch of dead servers and so it's less necessary to transfer?

I don't play any other MMO so I could be completely wrong, but perhaps these MMOs don't have a bunch of dead servers and so it's less necessary to transfer?

Happens to pretty much all MMOs over the course of time. When one first launches herds of people show up and lots of servers are needed to avoid queues. After the initial launch frenzy, things settle and pretty often merges will happen. It's very rare for an MMO to retain the numbers they launch with.

Happens to pretty much all MMOs over the course of time. When one first launches herds of people show up and lots of servers are needed to avoid queues. After the initial launch frenzy, things settle and pretty often merges will happen. It's very rare for an MMO to retain the numbers they launch with.

Are you claiming TOFN server is dead and others like it have low population because SWTOR is new?

Or low population servers in SWTOR are linked to the games launch back in 2011?

TOFN is a dead server (one of many) because 4.0 KOTFE has been a rubbish expansion.

Are you claiming TOFN server is dead and others like it have low population because SWTOR is new?

TOFN is a dead server (one of many) because 4.0 KOTFE has been a rubbish expansion.

Not sure how you got that from what I said?

I am claiming neither. Simply pointing out how server merges occur in almost every MMO I can think of over time. It's going to happen, even the vaunted WoW had 'em.

I also partially disagree on KotFE. Parts of it are not to my taste, others are. As for its overall success, no clue. I don't think BW has released any numbers to indicate one way or the other.

I disagree. TOFN is dead because many many people panic transferred to TRE due to the quick time in which BW announced they would upping the price. People have been claiming servers are dying for a while now, and that TRE is the best, so they all moved there to avoid the high price of transfer.

Some guilds, like the OP's guild, has been on that server for a long time, and they decided to stay in order to save their guild and attempt to save the server community. Unfortunately, people kept leaving, and now there is 100% no hope.

I like analogies.

If a car dealership (or Realtor, or Supermarket, or in fact ANY OTHER industry, adapt it for your favourite) came up with a great sale - they have a line of cars, can produce an infinite amount, and they say "Tell you what, this car that is normally worth $18,000, we're going to start selling it for $900. Buy as many as you like. We're even giving you $5000 every month to help you buy them." And you sit there in your car, saying, "No, I'm happy with the car I've got, thanks. I'd rather spend the money on some dashboard toys and new rims."

Then the dealer announces that they want to start making more money, they're going to put the price back up, but still not to the full price, they are going to make it $10,000. They give you six days notice to make sure that you are happy. And you still sit there, saying "No, thanks, I'm happy with this one."

Then the day finally comes. The price goes back up.

And a few days later, people come into the showroom and ask the dealer, "Can you put that car back on sale, just for me? I didn't want it in all those ten months, but now that the price has went back up, and all my friends bought one, and now I want one too. Actually, can I get it for free?"

And the dealer looks at you in amazement, asking "WT actual F?"

I like analogies.

If a car dealership (or Realtor, or Supermarket, or in fact ANY OTHER industry, adapt it for your favourite) came up with a great sale - they have a line of cars, can produce an infinite amount, and they say "Tell you what, this car that is normally worth $18,000, we're going to start selling it for $900. Buy as many as you like. We're even giving you $5000 every month to help you buy them." And you sit there in your car, saying, "No, I'm happy with the car I've got, thanks. I'd rather spend the money on some dashboard toys and new rims."

Then the dealer announces that they want to start making more money, they're going to put the price back up, but still not to the full price, they are going to make it $10,000. They give you six days notice to make sure that you are happy. And you still sit there, saying "No, thanks, I'm happy with this one."

Then the day finally comes. The price goes back up.

And a few days later, people come into the showroom and ask the dealer, "Can you put that car back on sale, just for me? I didn't want it in all those ten months, but now that the price has went back up, and all my friends bought one, and now I want one too. Actually, can I get it for free?"

And the dealer looks at you in amazement, asking "WT actual F?"

Not really the best analogy. There really is no reason for you to consider pushing your position when you don't even understand or attempt to listen to why anyone is asking for what they are asking for. On top of all that, I don't even know why you would care. You aren't moving, you didn't move, so what is the harm in helping these people move? Honestly, do you just hate people or what?

1) Transferring has many logistical issues (that you have acknowledged you would never accept yourself), especially with guilds involved. Even cost reduction doesn't alleviate those problems, so it is easy to understand why many were hesitant to leave the server.

2) The race to officially move off the server was a 6 day period. Some people moved earlier or transferred 1-2 toons elsewhere, but it was a free for all during the last 6 days, especially the last 2-3. Hardly time to prepare and make a smart decision or know for sure how the population would shake out.

3) Everyone gets cartel coin grants. Forcing some players to spend theirs to be on a populated server, while others get to spend them on whatever they want is hardly fair. If they gave everyone on certain servers a set of Thexan's armor, would you be ok if your server didn't get it and people told you that you could just get it with your free cartel coins, so there's no reason to complain? Not to mention the F2P and preferred players on those servers that don't have the grant.

Not really the best analogy. There really is no reason for you to consider pushing your position when you don't even understand or attempt to listen to why anyone is asking for what they are asking for...../snip.

I can sympathise with people who want to move. I actually can. But the fact remains - they are still in the same boat they were when the transfers were cheap, they will still have to lose their guildships if they want to move. But if they had moved when they had the discount, the members of the guild could have used the coins they saved to help buy a new ship and kit it out with all new shiny stuff.

If I was in the same boat as them, I would be kicking myself for not taking the move while I could, but I wouldn't still just sit there, "in my little hole", and cry because no-one is helping me out. I'd take it on the chin like a grown up and pay the money.

As I've said before, instead of sitting, STILL hoping for Bioware to cater to you, and doing nothing to help yourself, use the chance with the double xp to level up some new characters, and transfer 1 character across with as much vault stuff and all the money (and the Legendary, Legacy, and decorations that come with it.)

Start helping yourself, and stop relying on other people to change the system just for you.

I can sympathise with people who want to move. I actually can. But the fact remains - they are still in the same boat they were when the transfers were cheap, they will still have to lose their guildships if they want to move. But if they had moved when they had the discount, the members of the guild could have used the coins they saved to help buy a new ship and kit it out with all new shiny stuff.

If I was in the same boat as them, I would be kicking myself for not taking the move while I could, but I wouldn't still just sit there, "in my little hole", and cry because no-one is helping me out. I'd take it on the chin like a grown up and pay the money.

As I've said before, instead of sitting, STILL hoping for Bioware to cater to you, and doing nothing to help yourself, use the chance with the double xp to level up some new characters, and transfer 1 character across with as much vault stuff and all the money (and the Legendary, Legacy, and decorations that come with it.)

Start helping yourself, and stop relying on other people to change the system just for you.

Here is a quote from you on why you are against server mergers.

Why should I be forced to move servers, lose my guild, guildship, have to reactivate and redecorate my strongholds, put up with any bugs that happen from it, lose my names

Sounds like the situation you are telling these people is ok to me. And your situation is a free server merger, these people are PAYING BW to move their toons and still losing names, guilds, ships, SH setups, etc. It isn't like they wanted to leave the server, the OP even went to great lengths to encourage people to stay. But again, it doesn't affect you and so the effects on the player base aren't your concern apparently.

But as their ability to find a way to a populated server without losing everything they have and paying BW along the way has no impact on your gameplay or your life, I question why you are so dedicated to telling them they are screwed. These servers should have been closed with free transfers given to every character, guildships restored by CS, etc. months ago. Instead BW "allowed" players to transfer for a cheap price out of the goodness of their heart.

Which is one of the major reasons BW will just keep ignoring all 50 of you. Good luck anyway ^^

THIS!! Right here is why nothing will happen. The voice of this "movement" is insignificant and SHOULD BE IGNORED.

You REALLY need to take a step back from the conversation and reassess your position. Most of your comments towards players in a difficult position are becoming far more rude than constructive. Put yourself in their shoes..

I would have MOVED!!! Therefore I would never be in their position. I would have...seen the writing on the wall, swallowed my pride, gotten as much stuff as I could out of guild space, and moved.

In my mind, the ONLY group of players who have ANY sort of legitimate gripe are those who for whatever reason could not possibly have gotten the one week notice. I agree that BW should given at least a month, but also agree with those who have said that most of the "help me move" posters here would have complained anyway after said month.

If it were feasible (BIG IF) I would have implemented a system whereby:

#1 (the easy part) every character gets an in game mail message regarding the increase in cost

#2 within that message, every character gets a BOP token to be used any time within the week of being logged into (in other words as soon as a player logs into the game and uses a character the clock starts ticking for that character (It's the player's own stupidity for not checking in game mail))

#3 that token could be used to transfer at the 90CC rate for that character.

1) Transferring has many logistical issues (that you have acknowledged you would never accept yourself), especially with guilds involved. Even cost reduction doesn't alleviate those problems, so it is easy to understand why many were hesitant to leave the server.

What logistics? It is 100% virtual stuff that can be reacquired on any server. Is it annoying that guilds spent hundred of millions of credits and hundreds of hours playing for that virtual stuff to be lost? ABSOLUTELY!!! Is it world ending that a guild cannot move that stuff? Absolutely NOT!!!

Let me ask you this: if tomorrow BW came out and said, "Upon further consideration, we have decided to merge servers together. Server B will be merging into Server A (several times over). However due to technical issues all guild resources on Server B will be lost. We apologize for the inconvenience, those who are in guilds who have guild resources on server Bs will receive 10,00,000 credits in compensation. The mergers are happening next week." What would you do? You would get your server mergers but you would lose your guild stuff anyway. As it stands, this is the ONLY option for BW to merge servers. What's the difference between that and having dished out the 90CC per character to transfer when you had the chance?

something needs to be done, or more people will just stop playing.

How many players are we really talking about? No one here knows but chances are it is a minuscule minority.

Let me ask you this: if tomorrow BW came out and said, "Upon further consideration, we have decided to merge servers together. Server B will be merging into Server A (several times over). However due to technical issues all guild resources on Server B will be lost. We apologize for the inconvenience, those who are in guilds who have guild resources on server Bs will receive 10,00,000 credits in compensation. The mergers are happening next week." What would you do? You would get your server mergers but you would lose your guild stuff anyway. As it stands, this is the ONLY option for BW to merge servers. What's the difference between that and having dished out the 90CC per character to transfer when you had the chance?

I don't think anyone would have waited to transfer if it was free and BW gave them compensation to rebuild what couldn't be merged. How is that at all the same as PAYING BW and losing guild bank tabs, guild ships, guild strongholds, having to re-invite all members, redecorate, repopulate guild bank, etc. Your scenario, while inconvenient, could be acceptable. The current scenario is terrible even with 90 cc transfers.

Signed.

Would be nice having +30 days 90cc transfers for everyone. :)

IMO if they are going to do a 30 day transfer bomb, it should be free. This game is in horrible shape population wise. Why should people have to pay anything more than $15 a month for a good gaming experience? And if the company could do something free of charge to enhance your gaming experience, then they should.

Why charge people for their failure? That's just not right.

Personally I think anything less than a mega server for EA and NA at this point is just spinning your wheels and going nowhere.

Edited by MadCuzBad

Here is a quote from you on why you are against server mergers.

Quite a difference between being forced to move, and crying because you want to go where your friends went, but you didn't want to pay for it.

But as their ability to find a way to a populated server without losing everything they have.....

They aren't "losing everything they have." The only thing they'd be losing is, at most, a guildship. Everything else, your inventory, money, legacy unlocks, legendary status, achievements, decorations, collections - all of it - comes with you when you move. This moan is ONLY because they didn't want to lose the guildship.

If you even have 50 members in your guild, 1 run each at the Tatooine Heroics and you've just about paid for it (at 500 members, it'd only be 100k each) So, about 15 minutes from each member of the guild - not too much to ask for a game you claim to love.

..... and paying BW along the way has no impact on your gameplay or your life, I question why you are so dedicated to telling them they are screwed. These servers should have been closed with free transfers given to every character, guildships restored by CS, etc. months ago. Instead BW "allowed" players to transfer for a cheap price out of the goodness of their heart.

I have 16 characters on ToFN that I play regularly, so yes, it DOES affect me. I'm not moving them, because I like playing there. I refer you to my comments about closing servers where I have characters (you're obviously keeping track of them.)

Here's a question - what happens if they get a one-time token to move all their stuff to another server, and they don't like the next one either? Are they going to complain again? Ask for YET ANOTHER CHANCE to move, when Bioware have already been very accommodating.

Edited by CrazyCT

Ask for YET ANOTHER CHANCE to move, when Bioware have already been very accommodating.

I think we're done talking if you believe that BW has done "plenty" to accommodate players on dead servers. Plenty was when they merged them into alive servers, TWICE in the past. Giving them the opportunity to pay so they can inconveniently attempt to move to another server is more a slap in the face than anything.

Quite a difference between being forced to move, and crying because you want to go where your friends went, but you didn't want to pay for it.

I would agree with you if the remaining server were all decently healthy. I would tell the player base "if you want to switch servers, you can do that but it will cost you 90CC or 1000CC or 1800CC or whatever they decide to charge. But to have a game that has this many dead servers and very few active servers they absolutely have no justification for charging at this point. It is insulting and rude IMO.

As far as your ranting about please please please please don't force me into a mega server. Well let me tell you something. Your desire to stay on your beloved server doesn't over ride the 1000s of players who want to play an active MMO. And at this point the only real way to make that happen with the small amount of people left playing this game is consolidate into one mega server. Anything less than that is just selfish and self centered hog wash that is not taking in to consideration the 1000s of players besides yourself.

They aren't "losing everything they have." The only thing they'd be losing is, at most, a guildship. Everything else, your inventory, money, legacy unlocks, legendary status, achievements, decorations, collections - all of it - comes with you when you move. This moan is ONLY because they didn't want to lose the guildship.

Just to clarify, when you move you lose:

-SH unlocked with credits. You will have to pay the fee to open them back up, but the exapansions you bought with credits don't have to be paid again.

-Legacy bank tabs. Will have to pay to re-open the tabs. (possibly only if done with credits here as well)

-Any outfits. Teh unlock slots transfer, but they are all empty and you will have to pay the fee again to place gear in the slots. If you stamped a dye on top of a design and not in the armor itself, you will have lost the dye

-Guild, Guild Ship and any unlocks, aong with any guild SH and any unlocks. All guild decos will also be lost.

As you mentioned, everything else from your legacy unlocks, account unlocks will transfer over.

The things I mentioned above can be replaced with time and credits. In some cases, you may even come out ahead. My guild lost our ship, gbank and all that stuff, but we were able to purchase a pretty nice guild ship with lots of decos and unlocked gbank. So it can be a pain to lose and replace things, but I will say, my guild has def had an uptick in morale post change and people are playing the game more and enjoying the higher population.

As far as your ranting about please please please please don't force me into a mega server. Well let me tell you something. Your desire to stay on your beloved server doesn't over ride the 1000s of players who want to play an active MMO. And at this point the only real way to make that happen with the small amount of people left playing this game is consolidate into one mega server. Anything less than that is just selfish and self centered hog wash that is not taking in to consideration the 1000s of players besides yourself.

You're right. I totally agree. And if it is best for the game, then Bioware will merge the servers, and I will have to live with that. And I wouldn't call it a rant - someone creating numerous threads to call for server merges, and calling anyone who disagrees with you names, THAT I would consider a rant.

I'd call mine a request, and it is selfish, but it's exactly as selfish as the one to merge servers. My request has no less value than yours, even if you do shout yours a lot louder, and on every thread you appear on, whatever the original topic.

Just to clarify, when you move you lose:

-SH unlocked with credits. You will have to pay the fee to open them back up, but the exapansions you bought with credits don't have to be paid again.

-Legacy bank tabs. Will have to pay to re-open the tabs. (possibly only if done with credits here as well)

-Any outfits. Teh unlock slots transfer, but they are all empty and you will have to pay the fee again to place gear in the slots. If you stamped a dye on top of a design and not in the armor itself, you will have lost the dye

-Guild, Guild Ship and any unlocks, aong with any guild SH and any unlocks. All guild decos will also be lost.

As you mentioned, everything else from your legacy unlocks, account unlocks will transfer over.

The things I mentioned above can be replaced with time and credits. In some cases, you may even come out ahead. My guild lost our ship, gbank and all that stuff, but we were able to purchase a pretty nice guild ship with lots of decos and unlocked gbank. So it can be a pain to lose and replace things, but I will say, my guild has def had an uptick in morale post change and people are playing the game more and enjoying the higher population.

Happy to be corrected, thanks :D

Happy to be corrected, thanks :D

Actually in support with your position. I wanted BW to move me and my guild for free but as that wasn't going to happen the decsion was left to us on what we wanted to do. We decided we liked the game still and with increased population, the things we enjoyed would be more plentiful. The pain was the paying with CC and then credits to unlock things again.

But I have not heard a negative reaction from any one who made the transfer. Several inactive guidlies actually made the transfer and resubbed. Its been a positive move for us - granted we rushed and did this in the final days of 90 cc and those that didn't used referral links to get at least 1 toon transferred.

So I guess to sum up- if anyone is waiting on BW to do the change for you with no pain, I think you're in for a disappointed future. Had we not switched, I relaly think we would have had several folks just cancel subs and walk away.

Edited by Jamtas

You're right. I totally agree. And if it is best for the game, then Bioware will merge the servers, and I will have to live with that. And I wouldn't call it a rant - someone creating numerous threads to call for server merges, and calling anyone who disagrees with you names, THAT I would consider a rant.

I'd call mine a request, and it is selfish, but it's exactly as selfish as the one to merge servers. My request has no less value than yours, even if you do shout yours a lot louder, and on every thread you appear on, whatever the original topic.

Well the "calling someone who doesn't agree with them" part is a stretch. I will argue my point but name calling? I would like some quotes or examples. And if I did I will apologize in advance. I may have once or twice. I am not positive but while my general demeanor is defensive while attacked, name calling isn't the norm for me.

I don't deny I am aggressive when I have people attacking me. I don't mind a debate, but when someone attacks me I do not curl up and hide. There are a lot of people who try to intimidate people. But I am not easily intimidated and I never back down to a bully. You bully me be prepared. Win or lose I don't back down.

But having said that all I do agree that both server merger supporters and those like yourself who don't want them are both selfish I guess. I when I think of playing a MMO having more people then less is something I want. Just the same that staying on your server your on is something that you want. So I guess selfish works on both.