Purple Color Crystals!

Merciin

After a quick Search on Wookieepedia I could find nothing there to corroborate this statement, in fact on their page about lightsaber crystals they have listed pretty much every color under the sun(or two suns if you're on Tatooine ;P) listed with references to the various books, comic books, games, and any other form of media they appeared in within the Universe. And in fact upon reading the article it states that most crystals were created by the Jedi or Sith for their lightsabers, I'm assuming that because of this the crystals were at least in some way a choice of the creator. I know with in the KotoR lore crystals developed in caves and were given to padawan's or apprentices by their masters and that in some of the movies this is the case as well. But still, I think there is enough lore evidence to support the ability of each person to choose their own lightsaber color crystal as more of a cosmetic thing, though however they could put in "special" crystals that appear in the world or drop from bosses or mobs that have special attributes, I mean this is all speculation and wishing since we don't really have a choice in the matter, but still, food for thought :D

think the reference was to actual cannon, not expanded universe

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's good that some things are rare, even super-rare. It makes you look forward to achieving/reaching certain points in the game. I was psyched when I looted a blaster pistol from a boss, and it had an orange crystal in it, with stats better than the one I had in my saber. Now I can have a blue, green, yellow, or orange saber. Hopefully, sometime in the future I'll get my hands on a purple one. But I'm in no hurry, in another year or two there will probably be some rare item that is even more sought-after. Purple sabers are all the rage now, but after a while they'll be old news.

yea cause everyone and brother wants to spend days and hours and years grinding stuff for one simple drop...and restricting item is for most part or should have been asthetics purely is dumb. I'm all for rare drops and gear but not for something that is so core to alot of people's weapons.

I hate grinding and i won't do it sorry so i'm against this kind of thing pretty much also fact that pvpers aren't going to do pve or grind pve world bosses so we get shafted in this respect? yea makes so much sense!

Note: They are in the IMPERIAL columi vendors. While I don't remember right off the top of my head i believe republic columi vendors have green crystals or cyan ones. If this is the case, then I don't believe Republic players can get a purple crystal as of right now.

Yes, Republic gets Cyan crystals. Cyan or Purple... both actually look pretty damn good in combat.

I have officially canceled my account due to the FACTION CRYSTAL FIASCO.

Why would such a ignorant decision be made to assign PURPLE to Empire, the faction was already slated to be over populated the way it was. (Cyan to Republic to a lesser extent).

I'm actually quite sick of listing the full page reasons of actual "logical" reasons why purple should not be considered rare, and is in fact NOT a rare color at all in game, cyan on the other hand is RARE amongst mobs in game, but has equal availability as purple, aside from faction restriction. (a week or so of PVP dailys on either side and I'd be amazed if you didn't have 1 if not 2 of the weapons).

I've been 50 for over a week now, and have not seen any sign of a REASONABLY accessible purple crystal, and RAID is not reasonably accessible when the opposing faction can do FRIGGIN DAILYS to get them.

Oh and yes max Artificer/Archeology/Treasure Hunting here too. RE'd almost everyone of the purchaseable crystals to epic quality, nothing special comes of that, just slightly higher stats.

Aesthetics is a PERSONAL choice, and no one who loves blue/green/yelllow/orange/red, is being affected by this design restriction, it targets ONLY the customers/fans who wants purple/cyan and is on the raw of end of the FACTION CRYSTAL FIASCO.

So I can be a Jedi with a red lightsaber, but am restricted against purple? That is one of the most questionable marketing decisions I've heard to date. After all I've NEVER seen a Jedi with a purple lightsaber... red though, all the time!

Actually canonically speaking, the crystals shouldn't even be DS/LS restricted, it's nothing more than a personal choice. Hell Exar Kun himself used his blue saber until his death. I could see restricting purple crystals until the late teens early 20's, but that's the latest.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal#Known_color_crystals

And they can't really argue about the gems being rare, as Ruusan and quite a few other crystal bearing planets are still intact.

quote from http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1052403-Purple-color-clystals-color-crystals-list :

"You can't remove the purple crystal from PVP sabers. In fact, you don't even have access to the crystal as those items aren't moddable.

The colors I know exist in game are as followed: © for craftable

© Red

© Yellow

© Green

© Blue

© Orange

© Magenta

Black-Yellow

Black-Red

Purple

Light Blue

The last few I've either seen, or seen the recipe to make them. My source is personal experience."

By Phrixor

I have officially canceled my account due to the FACTION CRYSTAL FIASCO.

If that's why you're cancelling your account then good riddance, if you're so fascinated about the color of your lightsaber and why it's not the color you want because of your faction then you're clearly imprudent and I'm glad to see you gone. I wish you luck with whatever MMO you're playing next.

Edited by Sajuto

Someone claimed that Purple schematics drop from the same boss as Magenta, but we haven't seen it drop. I've also been soloing the boss for the White and haven't seen it drop either, just a bunch of twink gear for the alts and slow levelers.

Someone claimed that Purple schematics drop from the same boss as Magenta, but we haven't seen it drop. I've also been soloing the boss for the White and haven't seen it drop either, just a bunch of twink gear for the alts and slow levelers.

Given there is no schematics listed for Purple, White, Cyan, Black-Red, or Black-Blue, in the torhead.com database (and hell, they got info on items that aren't even obtainable in-game, like the Matrix Amplifier, Emitter, and Prism, which will be used to make your Matrix Cubes stronger/different, if ever implemented), only the crystals, leads me to believe there is no way to make them.

The fact that Purple is currently ONLY accessible to Imperial is gonna make my sister quite angry. She wants purple crystals for her Gunslinger's pistols. Me, I am more interested in White, myself as Grey Knight Jedi Shadow.

come on guys, if it was easily accesable then every one would have it. so to think that it would help differenciate you from everyone else, youre wrong. in the movies mostly just saw blue green and red, and purple in 2 of the last episodes released and thats why everyone would want one. just like how in the movies, they focused mainly on the light side and the sith empire was a mystery and thatsy why there are way more sith than jedi

come on guys, if it was easily accesable then every one would have it. so to think that it would help differenciate you from everyone else, youre wrong. in the movies mostly just saw blue green and red, and purple in 2 of the last episodes released and thats why everyone would want one. just like how in the movies, they focused mainly on the light side and the sith empire was a mystery and thatsy why there are way more sith than jedi

That's exactly my problem though. A color that WAS IN THE MOVIE should not be 100x more rare than colors that WEREN'T! I could find an orange or a yellow right now if I wanted one. I'd have to level to 50, but I know where to get Cyan and blue with a black core. A bazillion people have a yellow with a black core. So why oh why oh why can't I have a color prominently featured in a third of the Star Wars movies?

Given there is no schematics listed for Purple, White, Cyan, Black-Red, or Black-Blue, in the torhead.com database (and hell, they got info on items that aren't even obtainable in-game, like the Matrix Amplifier, Emitter, and Prism, which will be used to make your Matrix Cubes stronger/different, if ever implemented), only the crystals, leads me to believe there is no way to make them.

Torhead's database is waaayyyy outdated, darthhater is for most things too. Do not rely on these for crafting information or the full list of schematics.

It definitely does not include changes in the last couple of beta weekends, let alone differences on live servers.

IT IS EASILY ACCESSIBLE!

This is the PROBLEM!

Empire, DOES DAILY PVP quest = Purple Light sabers

Republic, shafted.

Stop trying to use the movies to bring anything to the conversation, these games have nothing to do with the movies.

If that's why you're cancelling your account then good riddance, if you're so fascinated about the color of your lightsaber and why it's not the color you want because of your faction then you're clearly imprudent and I'm glad to see you gone. I wish you luck with whatever MMO you're playing next.

If you agree its trivial you validate my entire arguement, and validate my rage at the ignorance of it all as well.

In the end there is no justification for the lack of purple on Republic, *** loads of imps have purple now days from their level 50 champion weapons, but republic gets the lousy cyan colored weapons which are hardly distinguishable from the normal blue at distance.

Seriously, SWTOR has precious little customization options as it is, give us the ability to get purple on republic side.... This imp side only crap so far is a lousy punch in the balls after i had purple for months on beta.

Its one thing to have never had it, try having it for a while and then loosing it.......

/sigh

Also the excuse that everybody would use it because its differentis just not true, they were very VERY easy to get on beta, and maybe 5% of total Jedi players used them. I hardly ever saw anybody who had one, more often then not i simply encountered people who didn't know how easy it was to get and would ask me where i got it, and even THEN half of those people still didn't use it.

Purple is a matter of taste for some of us, like myself who just happen to feel that it makes for a sick *** lightsaber that looks sleek and intimidating moreso then the classic colors.

GIVE US PURPLE BIOWARE PLEASE..... i will likely drop sub if i go more then 60 days of being level 50 or so and still haven't gotten one until which point i hear its become possible. Thats just me tho, hard to get is one thing, impossible is another.

You could at least tell us Republics if its even possible, we can only speculate still......

Edited by Arvalo

My .02, BioWare:

Ever since the original KotOR (and even Jedi Knight/Academy before that) I've been very much a fan of lightsaber color customization, and I know I'm not the only one. Being able to pick the color of your lightsaber is a choice we've been given in virtually every Star Wars game worth mentioning (KotOR II and the Force Unleashed come to mind--aside from what I've mentioned already of course). It's become one of those heavily ingrained character customization options that we've come to expect from our Star Wars games.

Now, and for the first time, the color-changing aspect of the lightsaber is no longer completely arbitrary. Different colors have different stats (ie. orange and yellow colored crystals with stats better than their blue/green/red counterparts). While I don't necessarily mind the color crystals being stat items, it is unfathomable to me that the stats aren't equal. In effect you're taking away the one basic aspect of customization that we've expected from our games as Star Wars fans. If purple colored crystals are superior items then everyone will have them for the stats boost. If purple colored crystals are achievement-based rewards then everyone will have them as status symbols. Do you see where I'm going?

I think not being able to pick the color of your crystal more or less arbitrarily is a major detraction from the role-playing element of this game--something you've excelled at in so many other categories that this particular drawback is mind-boggling. Maybe if it is arbitrary then everyone will be running around with purple-colored crystals... I don't know. But won't everyone be doing that anyway if you're holding it up as this rare reward for 'being awesome'? Either that, or you'll just have a whole lot of players who are upset that they're not 'awesome' enough.

BioWare, I hope it's just very early still and that I've greatly misjudged the situation. If that is the case, then please disregard this. If not, then I hope you can sympathize with my point of view and find some way to meet me halfway down the road. I must say that in every other roll-playing aspect in this game I've had my socks knocked off. I'm very happy with my Consular--I just wish she was happy with her lightsaber color.

Signed,

Your loyal fan since... longer than I can remember :)

I got an Orange one from I beleive inside a lightsaber during an Essles run at lvl 13.

You can make them and yellow crystals much later. And that is what I would like to add to this topic. I have only just at level 16 decided to see what schematics are available later to an artificer. And I find blue, red and green are NOT high end at all. The high end ones are orange and yellow (though you can get both at earlier lvls., as drops).

So what is with that. Strange to make purples elusive, stanger to make the three classics be outdated, when they are the favourites of many.

hehe, well that os up fpr debate elsewhere, though a bit latr seeing as how you could easily get purples in KOTOR and KOTOR 2. I know the latter is Obsidian not Bioware. But one thing I noticed, was that in KOTOR 2 we could get all kinds of variation. I had a sliver one, and we had odd light green available too.

Still though, if purple is only avaiable in PvP seems a but of a jip. I know people who hate PvP, who would like purples. Mind if they republic they can raid if what I am seeing here os right, which would be ok by some, in republic. But the idea a purple, cyan or ornage or yellow is better than a high end red, blue or green still seems odd. Guess what I am saying is I would rather a choice in what colour crystal my high end saber has, if I have gone to the trouble of getting there, or raiding.

Odd light green = Viridian

Also the excuse that everybody would use it because its differentis just not true

I agree, and I definitely agree that color should not be about rarity or stats but rather the personal preference of the user. And I most definitely agree that it's utter BS that Republic players thus far do not have access to Purple sabers.