Of all the BAD decisions in 4.0, the new alliance "conversations" has to be the worst

TheSeventhJedi

Is it? The 16 main voice actors includes some of the busiest and most sought after voice actors in the business. Maybe they simply don't have the space in their schedules to do all the extra voice acting that is required for all these conversations?

What extra voice acting? Did they add it in the last moment or what? These things are usualy planned in advance and conversation should be written quite early(my opinion) If developers knew the voice actors are busy they shouldn't rush it then...Better less content than unfinished content(unfinished and presented as something great)

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter. They shouldn't have released an incomplete product. You'd think with the issues this game has had on that front they'd have learned a lesson.

No the "you don't know" argument doesn't work because regardless of "if the time was there or not", they should have gotten the VO done. If it meant waiting, they'd have been better off. Seriously, I don't see why people defend them. I mean, if you legitimately liked the new system then you're entitled to the opinion, but if a business wants my money I fail to see why there should be excuses when the product they deliver is sub-standard.

Especially when they spend months hyping up cinematics and the focus on companions. If Bioware was actually proud of this feature, don't people think they'd have mentioned it before the expansion released?

the reason for the alliance conversations is a homage to KOTOR. it also allows them a slight bit more flexability with convos too. you'll notice we often have more then 3 dialogue options?

Sorry, man. It's not. That's marketing trying to disguise an incomplete product.

Edited by Millardkillmoore

No. My character has shut up, but I won't. Not everyone buys the marketing BS about this being a nostalgic throwback to KOTOR. Some of us realize what a lazy, half-assed "feature" this is and aren't happy about it being forced on us.

Then cancel sub, deinstall the game and play something other if you dont like it. It exist and i really hope Bioware will use this conversation style further to non related story based conversations into the upcoming patches.

This nostalgic conversation allows the player more options, its a good idea and a good choice to add it. To hate and blame Bioware cause "MY CHARACTER CANNOT SPEAK *** I HATE YOU ALL" is much childish. Mostly 90% or more are completely voiced and now with the Alliance System your Character wont be voiced and all is now "BS"? Its only the beginning and its possible that Bioware will improve this. Would wish this also for my Companions, so Bioware will be able to put more "secrets" or lore to the Characters that are not possible with the current 3-Choices Circle.

the reason for the alliance conversations is a homage to KOTOR. it also allows them a slight bit more flexability with convos too. you'll notice we often have more then 3 dialogue options?

Kotor is 15 years old and this feature even older. For back then this conversation type was unmatched, now this is really outdated and breaks the immersion and cinematic storytelling is really gone...

More than 3 dialogues options....3 options was enough for like five years, if it isn't enough anymore, they can just add more buttons to the ring with normal voice-overs. This kind of interface change would took them less time than making retro fit.

Edited by coremar

It doesn't bother me at all and I think it's a neat little thing as a tribute to one of their most famous and successful games in which this game is a sequel too.

As long as it stays with the Alliance System and not the Main Story (Which has been shown since you do both for Star Fortresses) then it's not really that big a deal.

That's what I think too.

I'm not exactly giddy about the "Classic Conversations" but as long as it's limited to the Alliance system (And that it allows them to add more Star Fortresses, more groundside resistance factions and other Alliance material) and doesn't impact on the main story and how it's presented, I'm fine with it.

I disagree completely OP.

I view this as a compromise. This content (alliance building) likely wouldn't even exist if it had to be fully voice acted. It allows BioWare to crank out new side content without having to bring in all 16 main voice actors.

KOTFE cutscenes + Alliance classic conversations = perfect marriage of quality and then quantity.

Quote, I think that's the best solution.

Quote, I think that's the best solution.

No it is terrible. I'd much prefer those scenes taking longer to be released than have them shoved out the door in this shoddy, half-baked plan to cheat the customer in the name of "nostalgia" for a backwards system from a game released in 2003 that I'd bet the majority of the playerbase has never even touched.

I'm cool with this change.

VA's cost, VA takes time, if this change means they will change more content faster than they used to, then i'm all for it.

If anything, i'm surprised it took them this long to start doing something like this.

These are npcs you have to interact with THOUSANDS of times over the next few months. Do you really want that to launch a cutscene every single time? Do even realize the ramifications of this?

People say this is a downgrade but if anything this is an upgrade over the way they handled Daily quest givers on Yavin. Where you just heard their voice and got to read a wall of text. At least this is somewhat interactive.

I'm cool with this change.

VA's cost, VA takes time, if this change means they will change more content faster than they used to, then i'm all for it.

If anything, i'm surprised it took them this long to start doing something like this.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of this style. However, if the stories stay the way they are and this is only for the alliance stuff and it does indeed help with releasing more content I can live with it.

At some point it makes sense that some contacts are visited very regularly as the game continues and you may visit them for various purposes/quests etc. So also from that perspective I do understand why they did this. However, it would really suck if they changed the story lines as well, but I'm thinking that they won't go that far.

Do you really want that to launch a cutscene every single time? .

Is that a serious question? Better launch the normal conversations we are used to, than something this immersion breaking and completely out of place..

I would rather read the text once in a window and next time just hit ok than mashing a spacebar milion times to get one daily quest anyway.

I think the yavin dailies were made the best way they could made them, there was some voiceover and I didn't need to spacebar anything, but than again, I would rather return to wow then play swtor with kotor styled conversations...

Edited by coremar

I also really do like this :) Don`t mind the lack of voices, brings back memories and it`s nice to have more answer options :) Really do hope that they will stick with it for the alliance conversations all the way :)

Its just funny to me how much drama some people put into this :p But I suppose it`s normal that some people will like it and some wont :)

Peace ;) <.... is a lie>

It doesn't bother me at all and I think it's a neat little thing as a tribute to one of their most famous and successful games in which this game is a sequel too.

As long as it stays with the Alliance System and not the Main Story (Which has been shown since you do both for Star Fortresses) then it's not really that big a deal.

Pretty much this - I feel similarly.

I expect full VA in something like DA:I or the future ME:A, but in this case, A) the main story is still fully voiced and B) I don't mind this nod to the past in the Alliance-related missions. As long as the main story remains fully voiced as chapters come out, then I'm okay with this situation.

If we went full-on expressionless mannequin a la the Warden in DA:O throughout the whole game, then I wouldn't particularly like it. However, that clearly isn't the case (again, all the main story-related stuff is fully voiced as I pointed out).

I mean, honestly, seeing some people say that devs should be fired because one relatively small portion of the game doesn't have you speaking? That seems like a bit of an overreaction to me (it even mentions the "classic" part in the window that popped up when I started doing my Alliance missions, so it's clearly a reference to KotOR).

Edited by Atreiya

I haaaaaate it to butts!

Like seriously, if I wanted to play a game from 10 years ago, guess what I would be playing that game, not this one. The thing I love the most about SWTOR and which makes it unique among all other MMOs is the fact that player character is voiced and each class has a personality and attitude of its own.

This... "nostalgia conversation" system feels like a 12 parsec step backwards. I rarely hate things but in this case I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it.

The conversations themselves don't really bother me as much as the gall to pass the whole thing off as an improvement. Instead of just coming clean and saying it like it is - 'we had to prioritize and ended up cutting this content because of the cost, we know the game is worse off for it and we're sorry' (something I would respect) - we get the typical corporate doublespeak where you never admit a weakness until it's time for the next expansion.

It's like your employer cutting your salary and presenting it like you should be thankful they give you the opportunity to learn to plan your economy responsibly and manage with limited resources.

And yet The Secret World tells an amazing story that is far more mature than SWTOR's with a mute main character :rolleyes: Having a mute character AT SOME SMALL PART OF THE GAME is NOT THAT BAD. It's not the end of the world. It's the STORY that matters.

If I had to choose between the actual Jedi Consular story that is fully voiced and a new Jedi Consular story with a mute main character but which is far better than the current one, I would choose the latter.

Of course voicing is a big part of the game and it should be done as many as possible but if there are some parts that make your character mute but you still have different choices to take like in Kotor, then it's not something to gripe about.

The conversations themselves don't really bother me as much as the gall to pass the whole thing off as an improvement. Instead of just coming clean and saying it like it is - 'we had to prioritize and ended up cutting this content because of the cost, we know the game is worse off for it and we're sorry' (something I would respect) - we get the typical corporate doublespeak where you never admit a weakness until it's time for the next expansion.

It's like your employer cutting your salary and presenting it like you should be thankful they give you the opportunity to learn to plan your economy responsibly and manage with limited resources.

I get where you're coming from, and kinda even agree with it.

They should have sold this as a cost cutting measure, and an attempt to reduce development time for new content first, a "classic" conversation system second.

And yet The Secret World tells an amazing story that is far more mature than SWTOR's with a mute main character :rolleyes: Having a mute character AT SOME SMALL PART OF THE GAME is NOT THAT BAD. It's not the end of the world. It's the STORY that matters.

If I had to choose between the actual Jedi Consular story that is fully voiced and a new Jedi Consular story with a mute main character but which is far better than the current one, I would choose the latter.

Of course voicing is a big part of the game and it should be done as many as possible but if there are some parts that make your character mute but you still have different choices to take like in Kotor, then it's not something to gripe about.

The mute main character is actually one of the weakest points of TSW storytelling.

Not because he is "mute", but because how it is handled.

The character is voiceless, choiceless, and near emmotionless puppet of whatever npc you are interacting with.

But then TSW gives you no real choices in the game (well, there are 3, though we're not sure on how "meaningful" they end up being), you're a spectator, nothing more.

I honestly didn't even notice that my character wasn't speaking until someone pointed it out. Now I do notice, but I really don't have a problem with it. It is after all, ONLY for the ALLIANCE SYSTEM. The alliance system requires returning to contacts numerous times and it just wouldn't have been feasible to have your character's VA do all the lines for that.

As for the people calling for the dev's heads and for them to be fired...well you guys/gals need to get a grip. This is such an overblown controversy. I have a feeling that if it had to be fully voiced, then the alliance system would never have happened. I personally am glad it did.

Edited by pegasussgc