Windows 10 stories, issues, and reviews

SalmonID

I am thinking about using my free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10. However I am old and really get attached to things and resist change, so I am asking the SWTOR community to give me their opinion on this. So to the brave souls who have upgraded, let us slower, more conservative people know about how it went, and what you think of it. Thanks

Riry

60 Sent

There is a thread in the customer service forum that provides some more feedback regarding this.

I will not update at this point until I hear that it actually works. Some say that the graphic driver must be updated to a windows 10 standard for the game to even work.

It is good to wait a bit until the first days of feedback arrive.

I am thinking about using my free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10. However I am old and really get attached to things and resist change, so I am asking the SWTOR community to give me their opinion on this. So to the brave souls who have upgraded, let us slower, more conservative people know about how it went, and what you think of it. Thanks

Riry

60 Sent

I tried to upgrade, it told me:

"Something happend"

It never told me what.

I jumped right on the windows 8 upgrade...I'm letting at LEAST a couple weeks past before I change to Windows 10. Besides I want to save up a little more and buy some SSDs before I upgrade...so in reality probably end of August I'll try it out.

I'll keep an eye on posts like this thread to see if it screws with people's game though. :)

Well, I believe the free upgrade has a life of one year... so no need to hurry into the upgrade IMO.

I've never loaded up a new Windows OS release until they release their first major service pack. It's proven a sound strategy for years now.

Then again... I replace my computer every three years and so in recent years I generally just leave it as is and wait until I buy a new computer with the latest OS on it.

Either way... I don't expect to be a Windows 10 early adopter since my current PC is running 8.1 just fine and is only a year old.

Well, I believe the free upgrade has a life of one year... so no need to hurry into the upgrade IMO.

I've never loaded up a new Windows OS release until they release their first major service pack. It's proven a sound strategy for years now.

Then again... I replace my computer every three years and so in recent years I generally just leave it as is and wait until I buy a new computer with the latest OS on it.

Either way... I don't expect to be a Windows 10 early adopter since my current PC is running 8.1 just fine and is only a year old.

I did not know that it had a life of a year. Yup that made my decision for me. I will wait awhile and let the dust settle. Thanks all.

I cloned my Win 7 drive and have done a Win 10 upgrade on it...

After the install I went to play swtor by clicking the launch.exe file which is on another drive and hitting play after entering the password and it did nothing... I then realised after a few try's that Dx9 was probably missing... I installed it and the game loaded up... You can get it here if you need it - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

I've noticed that the game runs smoother, less lag spikes, more stable FPS... I played about 15 WZs last night and only had 1 issue when my sound went a bit funny in match when I was in a fight with a certain player... It cleared up when they weren't around and when the match ended it never came back... Absolutely Bizarre...

I started my IT career supporting Win 95 at launch and did support for Microsoft up to Win 2000... After that I've done support for every launch of Windows in the corporate sector... I can say this is the absolute smoothest and easiest implementation of any Windows version... Some people have had some small issues, usually due to something not even related to Windows... For once Microsoft have launched a full working, out of the box version of Windows at launch... Woot... It's only taken 20years to get it right...

The only concerns I have are security ones... It is well worth reading about these and how to turn off or minimise some of the issues... Ie, if you are on a wifi network, Win10 by default shares a version of your encrypted wifi password with all people in your contacts... Allowing any of your contacts to connect to your network if they are in wifi distance... This obviously isn't ideal and a bit of a nightmare for corporate setups... There are a few other tweaks you should look at as well... Microsoft has enabled a lot of features automatically that you may want to opt out of instead of asking if you want to opt in... Seems a very backwards way of doing it...

Anyway, as far as gaming goes on swtor... I can highly recommend Win 10 for performance and smoothness

Edited by Icykill_

Upgraded yesterday from w8.1.

No problems but i have a fairly new system with a gtx 980 so its drivers were already available and added somehow in the upgrade itself.

Notice no differences, runs smooth as ever.

W10 itself does seem to be an improvement, smooth and slick with it resembling w7 alot.

Like the poster above me I upgraded asap from Windows 7 and had virtually no issues.

The biggest issue I had is that some of my settings in other games were lost. No such problem here, though.

Even with a fairly new rig (less than 1 year old) I had no driver issues, and all my games run fine, some even better than they had in Windows 7.

Upgraded yesterday from w8.1.

No problems but i have a fairly new system with a gtx 980 so its drivers were already available and added somehow in the upgrade itself.

Notice no differences, runs smooth as ever.

W10 itself does seem to be an improvement, smooth and slick with it resembling w7 alot.

Like the poster above me I upgraded asap from Windows 7 and had virtually no issues.

The biggest issue I had is that some of my settings in other games were lost. No such problem here, though.

Even with a fairly new rig (less than 1 year old) I had no driver issues, and all my games run fine, some even better than they had in Windows 7.

I am still going to wait a few months before I upgrade just to be sure. :)

It is easier to hold back and then upgrade at my own pace rather than jumping in to be the first and then having problems and cannot go back.

I am still going to wait a few months before I upgrade just to be sure. :)

It is easier to hold back and then upgrade at my own pace rather than jumping in to be the first and then having problems and cannot go back.

That's absolutely a good idea. There's certain to be some growing pains, and this will also help give time for people to find the various annoyances and how to disable them. A lot of that is out there already of course, but people have been holding back on too many details and specifics since they had to wait for the final version.

I also very strongly advise not to just do an in place upgrade. Go ahead and either do a clean install, or get a new HD and install there. ( I've always done the second option. This allows you to boot into your old install if needed or desired. )

That's absolutely a good idea. There's certain to be some growing pains, and this will also help give time for people to find the various annoyances and how to disable them. A lot of that is out there already of course, but people have been holding back on too many details and specifics since they had to wait for the final version.

I also very strongly advise not to just do an in place upgrade. Go ahead and either do a clean install, or get a new HD and install there. ( I've always done the second option. This allows you to boot into your old install if needed or desired. )

You can't just do a clean install if you want to get it free... You have to upgrade first on a activated Win7/8 system... Then you can activate it next time if you have to do a clean install...

To get around that so I could have a clean install, I cloned my drive and then used it to do the upgrade to Win10... Then I formatted it and did a clean install... This allowed me to also keep my Win7 original drive

I've also done it on another system, but this time I installed a clean version of Win7 sp1 and then did a win10 upgrade...

Both versions are exactly the same after the upgrade or clean install

Edit: to make it easier... Don't use the actual Windows upgrade option in the software... Go to the Windows website and download either the USB or ISO full version and you can use it to upgrade or do the clean install...

The USB way is the easiest... All you need is a 4GB USB stick... The website takes care of setup and copies the files onto it so it boots properly

Edited by Icykill_

I only have the option to upgrade to Windows 10, is there a option to download it for a fresh install?

My only problems with Windows 10 came from the update itself. I created a USB boot disk for it, but when I went to upgrade it gave me an error that it couldn't read a system partition. Apparently there was the same issue with Windows 8 and I came across a reddit thread which helped me out. I had to do some command line magic to truncate down my 100MB boot partition to 50MB to fix the error. Then after that I got an error that "Something Happened" a few times. This was happening at the "Your PC will restart in a few moments" part of the initial install prompt. After restarting manually and ensuring that all running applications were turned off, I was able to get the install to run properly.

After the actual install headaches it's been running perfectly. I haven't checked framerate performance in ops or anything but it seems to run fine. So thumbs up in that regard at least.

I switched from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro. The "upgrade" was simple and painless enough, however I do have one big problem with how it worked with SWTOR.

Under Windows 7 Pro I ran SWTOR at 5760x1080. After switching, the maximum resolution I can select is 1920x1080. Is anyone else having this issue, or am I just special? (again) :o

I switched from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro. The "upgrade" was simple and painless enough, however I do have one big problem with how it worked with SWTOR.

Under Windows 7 Pro I ran SWTOR at 5760x1080. After switching, the maximum resolution I can select is 1920x1080. Is anyone else having this issue, or am I just special? (again) :o

Did you run windows update? It didn't detect my second monitor until I did so. I think the update includes your latest graphics drivers. I found that after I upgraded and ran windows update I didn't need to update my NVIDIA drivers separately.

If you're running windows 7 you should wait and see what the reviews say.

However if you are not you should upgrade because Windows 10 fixes the really terrible bug known as Windows 8

Ha! I laughed. :)

Did you run windows update? It didn't detect my second monitor until I did so. I think the update includes your latest graphics drivers. I found that after I upgraded and ran windows update I didn't need to update my NVIDIA drivers separately.

The drivers that are included are most likely ok to use without issues. However, nVidia released a new driver yesterday evening that I would recommend using instead.

The drivers that are included are most likely ok to use without issues. However, nVidia released a new driver yesterday evening that I would recommend using instead.

After the update I told Geforce Experience to check for driver updates and it said I already had the latest. This was about 8PM EST. Not sure if they released one later than that.

353.62 is the one you get from windows update as well