Theran Shan?

GorkieX

Hmmm you know -- if you're feeling negatively about the outcome of this traitor storyline, that's all well and good -- but just b/c someone sees it more optimistically doesn't mean they're wearing "rose colored glasses", it's just a difference of opinion. Sure Bioware has messed up in some places... but they've also done some things right, too -- so whose to say this storyline won't be one of those things? I never understand the mentality of negative people trying to convince others to feel negative with them. Plus, we haven't even SEEN the content yet. This is all super premature.

If this story is to be taken at face value and again, the traitor is who he/she is and there's no twist or underlying honorable motivations, I will be one of the first people standing up to complain and cry foul. And I will absolutely cancel my sub after being with this game since launch -- b/c I play games to have fun, not have my heart stomped on.

But I'm optimistic there's more to the story than what meets the eye...because there's WAY too many red flags and hints that there is more to it -- and that's not "rose colored glasses" or sticking my head in the sand and being naive about it, it's not grasping at straws -- there are actually a ton of really good reasons why I think this and I can't wait until tomorrow so I can actually talk in detail about them, LOL.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm you know -- if you're feeling negatively about the outcome of this traitor storyline, that's all well and good -- but just b/c someone sees it more optimistically doesn't mean they're wearing "rose colored glasses", it's just a difference of opinion. Sure Bioware has messed up in some places... but they've also done some things right, too -- so whose to say this storyline won't be one of those things? I never understand the mentality of negative people trying to convince others to feel negative with them. Plus, we haven't even SEEN the content yet. This is all super premature.

If this story is to be taken at face value and again, the traitor is who he/she is and there's no twist or underlying honorable motivations, I will be one of the first people standing up to complain and cry foul. And I will absolutely cancel my sub after being with this game since launch -- b/c I play games to have fun, not have my heart stomped on.

But I'm optimistic there's more to the story than what meets the eye...because there's WAY too many red flags and hints that there is more to it -- and that's not "rose colored glasses" or sticking my head in the sand and being naive about it, it's not grasping at straws -- there are actually a ton of really good reasons why I think this and I can't wait until tomorrow so I can actually talk in detail about them, LOL.

I heart you. :p

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I'll be standing right there with you if things go south, but I just don't want to weigh in on it til we actually see what happens.

Edited by Dracofish

Reasonable post! I do understand why people are upset and they have every right to be. But I do think there's more to the story than we know so far.:)

Just a little bit longer, hang on guys and gals!:D

Same, there is definitely more to the story. We still don't know whose under the hood ....I know it isn't the traitor and from what possible spoilers I have read it seems the traitor is reluctantly joining some group.....so we'll have to see. But I saw it coming when I played iokath...Think about this before we lose a beloved char in kotet whom do we play the most when first coming to iokath.... the trend just repeated it self.

I definitely don't see people who are optimistic about this (and BioWare's current trajectory in general) as lesser or deluded or anything like that, I personally am just pessimistic about this whole thing. The optimistic idea that there is obviously something more going on (triple agent, infiltration, impersonation, or something similar) is clearly the better idea and makes for a MUCH better story. For a different company with a different history (or the BioWare from a few years ago) I'd definitely be on the optimistic team but BioWare has disappointed me time and time again, even completely failing at simple and obvious things. If I were taking SWtOR alone as a whole and separate from BioWare's other games I would be optimistic since I've at least liked and often loved every single player story that has come out for it.

Right now I'm bitter and pessimistic and just like DA:I was a make or break moment for me with BW single player games (though Trespasser almost restored my faith until devs confirmed afterwards that they wouldn't be building on it) and ended up with me cutting ties with their single player games-this will be my make or break moment with SWtOR. If there IS more to the story as logic and good writing would suggest then I'll stay and be the first to apologize but if it IS to be taken at face value with nothing more to it and it's just horrible writing then I'm out of here and I'm not coming back. If that happens and any of you guys are on Begeren colony, you can have my stuff :p

I definitely don't see people who are optimistic about this (and BioWare's current trajectory in general) as lesser or deluded or anything like that, I personally am just pessimistic about this whole thing. The optimistic idea that there is obviously something more going on (triple agent, infiltration, impersonation, or something similar) is clearly the better idea and makes for a MUCH better story. For a different company with a different history (or the BioWare from a few years ago) I'd definitely be on the optimistic team but BioWare has disappointed me time and time again, even completely failing at simple and obvious things. If I were taking SWtOR alone as a whole and separate from BioWare's other games I would be optimistic since I've at least liked and often loved every single player story that has come out for it.

Right now I'm bitter and pessimistic and just like DA:I was a make or break moment for me with BW single player games (though Trespasser almost restored my faith until devs confirmed afterwards that they wouldn't be building on it) and ended up with me cutting ties with their single player games-this will be my make or break moment with SWtOR. If there IS more to the story as logic and good writing would suggest then I'll stay and be the first to apologize but if it IS to be taken at face value with nothing more to it and it's just horrible writing then I'm out of here and I'm not coming back. If that happens and any of you guys are on Begeren colony, you can have my stuff :p

See, that's where we're different. I loved DA:I, and they are developing DA:4...so theoretically they are building on Trespasser. We know Solas is...Solas. He has a part to play for sure. They've just confirmed that the IQ's story is over, just like they have with every other Dragon Age protag. It's a shame because I loved my IQ most out of all my DA protags, but it is what it is. Just not sure how they're going to spin Cullen having a supposed large part to play if he's married to the IQ (without the IQ being there). I still love love love the franchise, and DA:I was my favorite. Thank you, BioWare for giving me Cullen. I've been waiting since 2009. :p

And Mass Effect? Yup, love that too. Loved ME:3, despite all the crap they got over the ending. Not all heroes need to ride off into the sunset on their unicorn. Refreshing. Andromeda? Yup, loved that too, despite the herp-a-derp animations. Such a shame that because of all the crap they got over it, we'll never get single-player DLC for it. I couldn't give two **** sticks about multiplayer. Give me single-player stuff.

Want to bash on a developer, bash on Bethesda, lol. Brand new $4,000 gaming build and Fallout 4 texture streaming is STILL broken. :p

Edited by Dracofish

See, that's where we're different. I loved DA:I, and they are developing DA:4...so theoretically they are building on Trespasser. We know Solas is...Solas. He has a part to play for sure. They've just confirmed that the IQ's story is over, just like they have with every other Dragon Age protag. It's a shame because I loved my IQ most out of all my DA protags, but it is what it is. Just not sure how they're going to spin Cullen having a supposed large part to play if he's married to the IQ (without the IQ being there). I still love love love the franchise, and DA:I was my favorite. Thank you, BioWare for giving me Cullen. I've been waiting since 2009. :p

And Mass Effect? Yup, love that too. Loved ME:3, despite all the crap they got over the ending. Not all heroes need to ride off into the sunset on their unicorn. Refreshing. Andromeda? Yup, loved that too, despite the herp-a-derp animations. Such a shame that because of all the crap they got over it, we'll never get single-player DLC for it. I couldn't give two **** sticks about multiplayer. Give me single-player stuff.

Want to bash on a developer, bash on Bethesda, lol. Brand new $4,000 gaming build and Fallout 4 texture streaming is STILL broken. :p

We all like different things and that's fine. I don't begrudge anyone for liking the things I dislike or disliking the things I like. What I meant about not building on Trespasser was that during the vanilla game the inquisitor was very bland and boring to me and lacked variety aside from variety in race/looks(DA:I's CC is the best one they've ever made aside from the hair) and lacked a variety of ways to roleplay. The story was not compelling, the villain was generic and boring, and the main character had no organic or personal connection to the main conflict and was just given a tacked on "your special hand is the only thing that can save the world!"motivation. Anyway I could (and did) rant about DA:I for a long time but this isn't the place for that. My point is that in Trespasser a lot of my story concerns were addressed and a strong motivation and personal connection (whether through love, friendship, redemption, or revenge) was set up with the Inquisitor and the new villain which was his former companion. For the first time I was excited to play as the inquisitor and see this new story through and how the character could learn to cope physically and emotionally with the loss of a limb only to find out that BioWare had no plans for you to play the inquisitor again and the person who would fight Solas would be some new random nobody. They could have left the vanilla ending of DA:I as it was with the inquisitor clueless as to what Solas was doing and therefore uninvolved but they chose to open things back up, give him a strong new motivation, make him start plotting against Solas no matter what and vow to stop him. BioWare actually thought this clear and strong call to action was a conclusion and was surprised when people saw it as anything but. They've become clueless about good storytelling and sacrifice a better narrative for the sake of their "new protagonist every game" rule. If they'd focus on making better games they wouldn't have to worry about backlash and poor sales.

Oh trust me, I have had PLENTY to say about Fallout 4 (though not here, obviously) they stripped down or took out nearly everything I loved about the older games(unique locations, interesting lore and characters, fun and interesting side quests, tons of dialogue options, roleplaying options, non combat skills, etc...) and replaced it with either nothing or stuff I didn't care about (graphics, combat, voiced protagonist, settlements).

I'll tell ya, the only thing that twerks me about this story line, whether it's doom, or temporary betrayal, is that so many of us put a lot of time into building up the character for crafting and such. LOTS of money and companion gifts, money in customization. Money. And then they take a character away for however amount of time (if not entirely) after we've spent so much in credits and for some people, real cash at the cartel market.

We all like different things and that's fine. I don't begrudge anyone for liking the things I dislike or disliking the things I like. What I meant about not building on Trespasser was that during the vanilla game the inquisitor was very bland and boring to me and lacked variety aside from variety in race/looks(DA:I's CC is the best one they've ever made aside from the hair) and lacked a variety of ways to roleplay. The story was not compelling, the villain was generic and boring, and the main character had no organic or personal connection to the main conflict and was just given a tacked on "your special hand is the only thing that can save the world!"motivation. Anyway I could (and did) rant about DA:I for a long time but this isn't the place for that. My point is that in Trespasser a lot of my story concerns were addressed and a strong motivation and personal connection (whether through love, friendship, redemption, or revenge) was set up with the Inquisitor and the new villain which was his former companion. For the first time I was excited to play as the inquisitor and see this new story through and how the character could learn to cope physically and emotionally with the loss of a limb only to find out that BioWare had no plans for you to play the inquisitor again and the person who would fight Solas would be some new random nobody. They could have left the vanilla ending of DA:I as it was with the inquisitor clueless as to what Solas was doing and therefore uninvolved but they chose to open things back up, give him a strong new motivation, make him start plotting against Solas no matter what and vow to stop him. BioWare actually thought this clear and strong call to action was a conclusion and was surprised when people saw it as anything but. They've become clueless about good storytelling and sacrifice a better narrative for the sake of their "new protagonist every game" rule. If they'd focus on making better games they wouldn't have to worry about backlash and poor sales.

Oh trust me, I have had PLENTY to say about Fallout 4 (though not here, obviously) they stripped down or took out nearly everything I loved about the older games(unique locations, interesting lore and characters, fun and interesting side quests, tons of dialogue options, roleplaying options, non combat skills, etc...) and replaced it with either nothing or stuff I didn't care about (graphics, combat, voiced protagonist, settlements).

I'm pretty big on head canon stuff, so I guess that's why I'm ok with not having a protag actually act out everything for me on the screen. Now that I've started to write fanfic (and found that I enjoy it) I might actually write on other games besides SWTOR. But I see what you're saying about not being able to play a villain or an anti-hero, etc.

I did enjoy FO4 (other than being shoe-horned into mommy-hood which was a huge mistake in my opinion, but whatev that's just me). It's just that the game is quite literally broken. Textures don't load in fully after cell changes/fast travel, and it's a well-known issue that they refuse to address. Brand new 8-core system that can play the game at 4k and still be bored and STILL I have to deal with muddy textures. Nope nope nope. But, like you said, that's neither here nor now.

Edited by Dracofish

I'm pretty big on head canon stuff, so I guess that's why I'm ok with not having a protag actually act out everything for me on the screen. Now that I've started to write fanfic (and found that I enjoy it) I might actually write on other games besides SWTOR. But I see what you're saying about not being able to play a villain or an anti-hero, etc.

I did enjoy FO4 (other than being shoe-horned into mommy-hood which was a huge mistake in my opinion, but whatev that's just me). It's just that the game is quite literally broken. Textures don't load in fully after cell changes/fast travel, and it's a well-known issue that they refuse to address. Brand new 8-core system that can play the game at 4k and still be bored and STILL I have to deal with muddy textures. Nope nope nope. But, like you said, that's neither here nor now.

For me, headcanon is for adding to what's already there, assigning motivations to words and actions I can choose, making up backstories and so on. If I have to make up or change a significant amount in my mind then I might as well be writing my own story from scratch.

Now that I think about it, the optimists who like what BioWare has done in recent years and the pessimists who dislike what they've done in recent years will likely both be right. It will be what they both expect but the optimists will like it and the pessimists will dislike it.

I think if there was going to be a delay we'd have heard about it by now...at least I'd hope so!

Agreed, on facebook they've been doing like countdown ads including one for today so I think they would have told us in advance if it would be delayed

I'm not worried about tomorrow at all, I'm worried about how they handle the arc since it won't wrap up tomorrow, it just starts then so anyone telling me it won't be that bad misses my point entirely. I like the direction they're taking with the story and it -could- be interesting, but I'm afraid they'll mess up or handwave or just anticlimatic the ending of the new story arc which could be in a few months, could be in a year.

edit: started on Iokath, twist/reveal to get the ball rolling is tomorrow, not worried about the next snippet 5 min story, or the one after. Worried about how they handle the finale.

I'll tell ya, the only thing that twerks me about this story line, whether it's doom, or temporary betrayal, is that so many of us put a lot of time into building up the character for crafting and such. LOTS of money and companion gifts, money in customization. Money. And then they take a character away for however amount of time (if not entirely) after we've spent so much in credits and for some people, real cash at the cartel market.

People brought this up every time a character could leave the character. There's a terminal in Odessan just for this. Scorpio was returned through it solely for crew missions, class companions you -can- kill or exile can be retrieved from there after the fact.

Edited by Asmodesu

Is it sad that I wish I took the day off tomorrow? :p

Nah, I prefer having the day off when games, DLCs, and so on that I'm excited about too. As far as my feelings...well I'm glad Telltale is also releasing GotG chapter 3 tomorrow since I am going to need some cheering up T_T

Hey folks,

I apologize for the late notice on this. We are going to delay the launch of Game Update 5.4 by 24 hours. Crisis on Umbara's maintenance will now be on Wednesday, 8/23 at the same time as the originally planned maintenance (5AM - 9AM PDT).

As we do with all updates, we continually test until it goes out the door. From this testing we discovered a critical bug with the Crisis on Umbara Flashpoint. This bug can prevent a substantial amount of gameplay when a player experiences it, from not playing the intro cinematic to not allowing re-entry into the instance. Due to the severity of the bug, we are not comfortable releasing the Game Update in its current state.

I will go ahead and updated the messaging in both this thread and the launcher to reflect the new maintenance window. Again, we do apologize for the late notice and thank you for your patience.

-eric

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9390656#post9390656

Hey folks,

As we do with all updates, we continually test until it goes out the door. From this testing we discovered a critical bug with the Crisis on Umbara Flashpoint. This bug can prevent a substantial amount of gameplay when a player experiences it, from not playing the intro cinematic to not allowing re-entry into the instance. Due to the severity of the bug, we are not comfortable releasing the Game Update in its current state.

-eric

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9390656#post9390656

Wow... Just wow... That's pretty... THey sure they can get it released by Wednesday instead?

Wow... Just wow... That's pretty... THey sure they can get it released by Wednesday instead?

Just because a bug has a big effect doesn't mean it's a big bug. It could be as much as a single typo in a line of code, on which hundreds or thousands of other lines are dependent.

In fact, what eats up probably 95% of the time taken to fix a bug is FINDING it. 1% is the actual fix, and the last four % is testing to make sure the fix didn't screw anything else up.

"So the bug is caused by this. Nothing is wrong with it... ok, what does this need to work? Oh great, have to check another 5000 lines... /wrists"

Edited by Diviciacus