Theran Shan?

GorkieX

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this is speculation taken entirely out of context. We don't know the whole story. Wait another 24hrs and find out for sure tomorrow. No point worrying about it now.

I have a feeling you're all going to be pleasantly surprised. But there's too much behind his character to just throw him in the trash bin. Also keep in mind that they wouldn't have opened up his character customization like a month ago to just take him away forever. That and with this game they aren't in the habit of taking away love interests unless its completely deserved (such as Koth or Dorne with meanie weanies). Theron is the character they've dumped extra media into (the only character)...why would they just take him away or relegate him to a pretty and voiceless paperweight? They've made it seem like this story is just as much about Theron as it is about the Outlander/Emperor/Empress/Commander.

And the simple fact that this thread has become more active over the past couple weeks, with talk of all the "ooooo ahhhhh" stuff is enough to spoiler anybody without having to go anywhere near "stuff that shall not be named." I've warned followers of my fanfic to say far far away from the forums and Reddit (and anything having to do with SWTOR pretty much) until the Flashpoint comes out because they're bound to get hit, just like I did.

Edited by Dracofish

All of this is speculation taken entirely out of context. We don't know the whole story. Wait another 24hrs and find out for sure tomorrow. No point worrying about it now.

I have a feeling you're all going to be pleasantly surprised. But there's too much behind his character to just throw him in the trash bin. Also keep in mind that they wouldn't have opened up his character customization like a month ago to just take him away forever. That and with this game they aren't in the habit of taking away love interests unless its completely deserved (such as Koth or Dorne with meanie weanies). Theron is the character they've dumped extra media into (the only character)...why would they just take him away or relegate him to a pretty and voiceless paperweight? They've made it seem like this story is just as much about Theron as it is about the Outlander/Emperor/Empress/Commander.

And the simple fact that this thread has become more active over the past couple weeks, with talk of all the "ooooo ahhhhh" stuff is enough to spoiler anybody without having to go anywhere near "stuff that shall not be named." I've warned followers of my fanfic to say far far away from the forums and Reddit (and anything having to do with SWTOR pretty much) until the Flashpoint comes out because they're bound to get hit, just like I did.

Some people have romanced Koth or Dorne so them taking them away is wrong, and especially since you can now customize Koth as well. So just because Theron customization is open now doesn't mean much. What they have done to the romance companions lately is exactly why people are concerned. As far as being pleasantly surprised, the history of BW and their writing and their history with romance companions (unless it is their pet) has proven that they do exactly as most as worried about.

Some people have romanced Koth or Dorne so them taking them away is wrong, and especially since you can now customize Koth as well. So just because Theron customization is open now doesn't mean much. What they have done to the romance companions lately is exactly why people are concerned. As far as being pleasantly surprised, the history of BW and their writing and their history with romance companions (unless it is their pet) has proven that they do exactly as most as worried about.

I honestly see differently, unless you're talking about just this game and not BioWare writing as a whole. I'm a big fan of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect franchises and I think they've done quite a few good things in the romance department. Characters that come to mind are Cullen, Dorian, Jaal, Garrus, etc. I've really only ever romanced male characters, but I know plenty of people love Cassandra, Leliana, Morrigan, and Liara as well.

I also have to say that someone who romanced Koth or Dorne and did the things it took to drive them away kind.of.deserve.it? I mean, it's pretty apparent who those characters are...and it's kinda realistic in the sense that love interests won't stick around if certain lines are crossed. I mean, I couldn't just cheat on my boyfriend and feed him a whole crapton of cake til he miraculously forgets. :p

And again, I'll make mention that no other character has a novel and comic books completely devoted to them. Theron is not a throwaway character.

Edited by Dracofish

I honestly see differently, unless you're talking about just this game and not BioWare writing as a whole. I'm a big fan of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect franchises and I think they've done quite a few good things in the romance department. Characters that come to mind are Cullen, Dorian, Jaal, Garrus, etc. I've really only ever romanced male characters, but I know plenty of people love Cassandra, Leliana, Morrigan, and Liara as well.

I also have to say that someone who romanced Koth or Dorne and did the things it took to drive them away kind.of.deserve.it? I mean, it's pretty apparent who those characters are...and it's kinda realistic in the sense that love interests won't stick around if certain lines are crossed. I mean, I couldn't just cheat on my boyfriend and feed him a whole crapton of cake til he miraculously forgets. :p

And again, I'll make mention that no other character has a novel and comic books completely devoted to them. Theron is not a throwaway character.

This is also the same Bioware that gave us love interests Anders (who betrays you and blows up the Chantry), Jacob (who cheats on you and gets someone else pregnant) and then there's the ultimate heartbreaker who is bent on destroying the world, Solas. Bioware has no problem investing time hyping up characters, setting you up as a love interest, then throwing your heart in the trash. I'm STILL bitter with Bioware over Solas.

This is also the same Bioware that gave us love interests Anders (who betrays you and blows up the Chantry), Jacob (who cheats on you and gets someone else pregnant) and then there's the ultimate heartbreaker who is bent on destroying the world, Solas. Bioware has no problem investing time hyping up characters, setting you up as a love interest, then throwing your heart in the trash. I'm STILL bitter with Bioware over Solas.

They also killed off my favorite Mass Effect dude, Thane.

And it's always the female PC-romancing male NPCs that this happens with. Theron was the one stable love interest for me in this game and now they've thrown him the idiot ball while of course not touching his female counterpart because precious Lana has to be unsullied!

Back to Japanese otome games for me, I guess.

The big difference there is those are games we can reload saves with. Yeah, from ME2 to ME3 Jacob turned into a playah, which was awful, and I also fell victim to a wasted playthrough on him. I also fell victim to crying my eyeballs out for a Thane romance. And then there's Iron Bull. I didn't even romance him on my "canon" run, but when he turned on my Inquisitor, my heart almost jumped out of my mouth. Solas...meh, lol. I kinda saw that one coming. I know there are a lot of hardcore egg-heads out there...I just sit firmly in the Cullen camp. :p

But, the point I'm trying to make is that all of those romances (except Jacob) were very well written, even if they didn't end in fluffy bunny farts or unicorn rainbow ***** for the protag. Life is messy...and I love seeing a good gut-wrenching romance. If happy endings were always a guarantee, things get so very boring. Even having my heart ripped out over Thane...amazing writing. Garrus will always be my Mass Effect bae though. And you want to see an angst-fest? Try romancing Cullen with a Templar Inquisitor...and tell him to get back on the lyrium until they can find a cure together. Just...wow. Bravah to BioWare on that one.

Even so, I don't see that happening in this situation. I'm 100% on the triple agent train.

Edited by Dracofish

Are you forgetting that since the betrayal of Koth, those who romanced him get nothing except the cookie-cutter cut and paste kiss scene and a couple of emails, just like with Aric, just like with Kaliyo. All the LI's that can die are effectively written off only to show up again in cut-and-paste scenes everyone gets for a few seconds if you chose to let them live.

This is precisely what a lot of us despise about these situations.

And it's always the female PC-romancing male NPCs that this happens with. Theron was the one stable love interest for me in this game and now they've thrown him the idiot ball while of course not touching his female counterpart because precious Lana has to be unsullied!

I honestly don't see how Lana is some "pet" that people keep making mention of. Up til now, Theron was an untouchable too...and we still don't know the whole story. For all we know, Lana could be involved in this whole thing too. That's why I said that it's useless to speculate and take things completely out of context. We'll all find out tomorrow.

Edited by Dracofish

Are you forgetting that since the betrayal of Koth, those who romanced him get nothing except the cookie-cutter cut and paste kiss scene and a couple of emails, just like with Aric, just like with Kaliyo. All the LI's that can die are effectively written off only to show up again in cut-and-paste scenes everyone gets for a few seconds if you chose to let them live.

This is precisely what a lot of us despise about these situations.

Meh, that's what fanfic is for. They don't have the budget to make twenty different versions of a scene that is all dependent on the numerous choices each player could take.

But again, I don't see that happening with this character in particular, because of reasons I've already stated. And we're still making assumptions that he can die when we don't know the whole story yet because the Flashpoint hasn't been released.

Edited by Dracofish

You assume that everyone did things to drive him away. My smuggler character never did that choices. He never left even once but since others did, it messed up people like me that romanced him since he was able to be killed. So again BW has a history of this so.

So much this.

Why they gotta poop on the female to male LI's? And I get suckered with picking the traitor every time. At least this time only my jedi will cry. My Light Side sith (woohoo hit 5th light side this weekend!) is in love with Arcann.

Meh, that's what fanfic is for. They don't have the budge to make twenty different versions of a scene that is all dependent on the numerous choices each player could take.

But again, I don't see that happening with this character in particular, because of reasons I've already stated. And we're still making assumptions that he can die when we don't know the whole story yet because the Flashpoint hasn't been released.

No. never leave something to "fanfic", they write a character out, it's gone whether we like it or not, and we have every right to voice either opinion. From past LI's that can be killed or exiled we know what to expect this time as well, same same. Does not mean we have to like it, and we definitely can voice displeasure over it.

There's no death, the big issue is if can be brought back after leaving the Alliance which makes the traitor different to the other LI choices so far, still alive but not with the Alliance anymore, and has left for everyone.

Edited by Asmodesu

You assume that everyone did things to drive him away. My smuggler character never did that choices. He never left even once but since others did, it messed up people like me that romanced him since he was able to be killed. So again BW has a history of this so.

But you don't lose him. He's still there, he's still your boo. Just like all of the other old romances...he was relegated to paperweight status because BioWare can't afford to make twenty different versions of every scene. It makes sense to me. I typically read between the lines anyways, so as long as I know he's still there, that's good enough for me. Maybe it's because I've spent an entire playthrough on my Jedi Knight head-canoning a Scourge romance that was never actually implemented (shakes fist in air) so that sort of thing comes easily for me.

Edited by Dracofish

No. never leave something to "fanfic", they write a character out, it's gone whether we like it or not, and we have every right to voice either opinion. From past LI's that can be killed or exiled we know what to expect this time as well, same same. Does not mean we have to like it, and we definitely can voice displeasure over it.

There's no death, the big issue is if can be brought back after leaving the Alliance.

But you don't know that. You're assuming he's going to be treated the same way. But BioWare has already shown that Theron's character has been treated differently from the start. Why would we automatically jump to the conclusion that he would be lumped in with the rest when he never has been?

I would save the complaining til it actually happens, if it does.

And I meant that fanfic is great for filling in the gaps that you don't get to see in-game. It helps people read between the lines.

Edited by Dracofish

But you don't lose him. He's still there, he's still your boo. Just like all of the other old romances...he was relegated to paperweight status because BioWare can't afford to make twenty different versions of every scene. It makes sense to me. I typically read between the lines anyways, so as long as I know he's still there, that's good enough for me. Maybe it's because I've spent an entirely playthrough on my Jedi Knight head-canoning a Scourge romance that was never actually implemented (shakes fist in air) so that sort of thing comes easily for me.

No Bioware has a favorite companion and that is the only one going forward that will have any dealing in the story and I am sorry that is wrong on the part of the writers. It makes sense for a dark side character but it makes absolutely no sense for a light side character no matter how you want to excuse their actions. The way they are handling this makes me have serious reservations about doing any more story if I have to be subjected to their pet.

But you don't lose him. He's still there, he's still your boo. Just like all of the other old romances...he was relegated to paperweight status because BioWare can't afford to make twenty different versions of every scene. It makes sense to me. I typically read between the lines anyways, so as long as I know he's still there, that's good enough for me. Maybe it's because I've spent an entirely playthrough on my Jedi Knight head-canoning a Scourge romance that was never actually implemented (shakes fist in air) so that sort of thing comes easily for me.

I was in that camp too, wanting Scourge as an LI choice.

As for the topic at hand, my vote is on triple agent and he can't tell the commander because the real problem is someone too close to our PC, so the Commander has to be very much out of the loop on this, even to the point of breaking hearts.

No Bioware has a favorite companion and that is the only one going forward that will have any dealing in the story and I am sorry that is wrong on the part of the writers. It makes sense for a dark side character but it makes absolutely no sense for a light side character no matter how you want to excuse their actions. The way they are handling this makes me have serious reservations about doing any more story if I have to be subjected to their pet.

That's taking stuff completely out of context that we aren't even supposed to know about yet. We don't know anything...until we see it tomorrow.

Have you read 'The Lost Suns' and 'Annihilation?' Theron is the pet. Not Lana. He's always been the one who has had more story put into him.

That's taking stuff completely out of context that we aren't even supposed to know about yet. We don't know anything...until we see it tomorrow.

Have you read 'The Lost Suns' and 'Annihilation?' Theron is the pet. Not Lana. He's always been the one who has had more story put into him.

We going to have to agree to disagree. You seem to have rose colored glasses where BW is concerned. I used to believe them, not anymore. So have a good day and enjoy the eclipse.

But you don't lose him. He's still there, he's still your boo. Just like all of the other old romances...he was relegated to paperweight status because BioWare can't afford to make twenty different versions of every scene. It makes sense to me. I typically read between the lines anyways, so as long as I know he's still there, that's good enough for me. Maybe it's because I've spent an entire playthrough on my Jedi Knight head-canoning a Scourge romance that was never actually implemented (shakes fist in air) so that sort of thing comes easily for me.

The problem to me isn't with the number of romance scenes or anything but when a character can be dead they pretty much stop being part of the main storyline entirely, except as maybe a background character (the exception here is Arcann and Senya in Ch.8 and 9 of KOTET but I bet we won't see a lot of them anymore). I like having Theron as someone who is very often part of the chapters and dialogue even if it isn't romance related. That's going to end if he's ever killable.

And Lana is the pet because not only is she untouchable (so far) but they shove her in your face as the romance option. She's the one that saves you from carbonite, she's the one in your room when you're sleeping, she's the one hovering over you (twice) when you wake up after being injured. She's basically in love with you even if you never flirt with her. This is exactly like Liara and Leliana.

And Lana is the pet because not only is she untouchable (so far) but they shove her in your face as the romance option. She's the one that saves you from carbonite, she's the one in your room when you're sleeping, she's the one hovering over you (twice) when you wake up after being injured. She's basically in love with you even if you never flirt with her. This is exactly like Liara and Leliana.

It may appear that way to some people, but I don't see it. I never saw it with Leliana or Liara either. In my opinion, Theron is more important to them because he's the one they have invested way more time and resources into. More than any other character by far (including Lana). Which is another reason why I don't see them relegating him to paperweight duty even if he becomes killable at some point (which we don't know anything about yet).

It may appear that way to some people, but I don't see it. I never saw it with Leliana or Liara either. In my opinion, Theron is more important to them because he's the one they have invested way more time and resources into. More than any other character by far (including Lana). Which is another reason why I don't see them relegating him to paperweight duty even if he becomes killable at some point (which we don't know anything about yet).

She's the same as Leliana and Liara but it's up to you how you want to take that. I take all three negatively and want to bundle them up and throw them in a volcano but BioWare would never let us do that. Even if they made a mistake early on and let us make the "wrong" choice of killing Lana, they would just correct their mistake and bring her back to life. As for the EU material Theron is in...it was released shortly after the game came out when there was a different and much larger team involved. In the actual game through Ziost Lana and Theron were equal counterparts and back then Lana was believable and interesting to me. With KotFE and beyond it became Lana variety hour with Theron not even making an appearance in the first 8 chapters. None of the three pets started out that way, in ME1 Liara was a normal and equal squadmate, same with Leliana in DA:O and Lana in SoR. It wasn't until the sequels that they became the super special chosen waifu pets. With KoFE and beyond Lana became this super dedicated BFF regardless of how you treated her previously and whether she hates everything you do. She's the one to rescue you from carbonite even though she's the worst choice (even if they can't reach a spy like Theron, a local and former soldier like Koth would have been the better choice to sneak you in and out). She acts like she's in love with you, watches you sleep multiple times and I really can't see the game killing her or making her betray you.

She's the same as Leliana and Liara but it's up to you how you want to take that. I take all three negatively and want to bundle them up and throw them in a volcano but BioWare would never let us do that. Even if they made a mistake early on and let us make the "wrong" choice of killing Lana, they would just correct their mistake and bring her back to life. As for the EU material Theron is in...it was released shortly after the game came out when there was a different and much larger team involved. In the actual game through Ziost Lana and Theron were equal counterparts and back then Lana was believable and interesting to me. With KotFE and beyond it became Lana variety hour with Theron not even making an appearance in the first 8 chapters. None of the three pets started out that way, in ME1 Liara was a normal and equal squadmate, same with Leliana in DA:O and Lana in SoR. It wasn't until the sequels that they became the super special chosen waifu pets. With KoFE and beyond Lana became this super dedicated BFF regardless of how you treated her previously and whether she hates everything you do. She's the one to rescue you from carbonite even though she's the worst choice (even if they can't reach a spy like Theron, a local and former soldier like Koth would have been the better choice to sneak you in and out). She acts like she's in love with you, watches you sleep multiple times and I really can't see the game killing her or making her betray you.

I never really had a problem with Leliana or Liara. Sure, Liara can ninja-mance you if you aren't careful, but I just tended to avoid them as characters. Maybe that's why I never really minded them, lol. My DA:O squad pretty much consisted of Alistair, Zevran, and Oghren (or Shale). In ME, it was Garrus (forev!), Kaidan (or Tali), or Wrex. In ME2, it was Garrus (again, forev!), Thane, and Mordin (or Grunt). In ME3, it was Garrus (haha), James (luv him), and Zaeed (super smash bro for Garrus). See the theme? Very light on the wuminz, lol. It's that way in real life too...I usually get along better with guys because I can't stand stereotypical wummin crap that typically bleeds over to female NPC's (like Ashley who will forever and always be relegated to nuke-sitting duty). There is a difference with Peebee in ME:A. I do like her. She's hilarious. I tend to travel with her and Jaal.

Edited by Dracofish