The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Parsec question...

Bachannal

I've seen a lot of people mention using programs like Parsec to see what kind of DPS/Heals, etc. you're putting out, so you can use that info to figure out where you're lacking, and adjust accordingly. I downloaded it this afternoon, and I've begun using it, but kind of lost as to how to best utilize the info.

I raid...not hardcore raiding, but not really casual either. I have a rough idea of what kind of DPS I can put out on a single target/single rotation....is that all I'm really looking to determine? I would assume that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What else should I be paying attention to, and more importantly, how do I use the info to my advantage after the fact?

Looking for any advice/tips/pointers - etc.

(thanks in advance)

It becomes more useful when the people you raid with join the same parsec channel. You can then see everyone's dps, threat meter, healing, damage taken, and all that wonderful stuff. Personally I just have the DPS popout option on. Its not that you don't know your rotation, but it kind of makes you aware of your contribution. But from my experience dps is really all thats interesting to look at. I also like seeing how much damage I take during fights so when I fight again I know preemptively when to pop a defensive cooldown to help out the healers.

First of all, programs like Starparse are a good way to measure your performance. When a boss goes enrage, you don't know what went wrong, which player was lacking DPS or if everyone was low. If you see the DPS values in a parser, you know who's doing well and who needs to improve. This can quickly lead to harassment and exclusion of certain players but if used responsibly, it is the best way for the group to know how to improve.

But more than just a DPS value, it tells you which abilities you used how often. In the midst of combat, you may not realize that you forgot to hit a proc or could use a certain ability more often.

It will also tell you your APM, your Actions per Minute, which is one of the most important values. Not only does it matter that you hit the right abilities in the correct order, you also have to hit them fast enough. SWTOR has a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds, and if it takes you 1.7 seconds to hit new abilties, you'll be like 15% below top performance.

And finally, ít tells you what damage you took. This is the best way to see if you always moved out of red circles fast enough. In the middle of the fight, you don't watch your HP bar so you don't notice it when you are too slow, but a parser will tell you exactly how often you stood in a circle.

Of course, it takes a lot of time to get used to a parsing program and you need to know the boss fights and how the important abilities are called, otherwise a parsing program won't help you. For my activity as a raidleader, Starparse gives me the tools to analyze our performance and figure out how to change the strategy. Without it, I'd be blind and not even know where to start.

Edited by Jerba

And finally, ít tells you what damage you took. This is the best way to see if you always moved out of red circles fast enough. In the middle of the fight, you don't watch your HP bar so you don't notice it when you are too slow, but a parser will tell you exactly how often you stood in a circle.

Then you should start..... how can you use cooldowns (defensive..) when you don't know what your HP is.. I have always assumed that people who stand in stupid (the kind that ticks until your dead..) just don't care but.. if a DPS/Tank doesn't ever look at their health bar, I see now why they die...

But yea, what he said about the parsing programs is perfect.. They can be a very useful tool to help improve a group that wants to improve.. shows you where your shortfalls are.

Edited by GopherLuV

Then you should start..... how can you use cooldowns (defensive..) when you don't know what your HP is.. I have always assumed that people who stand in stupid (the kind that ticks until your dead..) just don't care but.. if a DPS/Tank doesn't ever look at their health bar, I see now why they die...

But yea, what he said about the parsing programs is perfect.. They can be a very useful tool to help improve a group that wants to improve.. shows you where your shortfalls are.

The only players who watch HP bars are healers and, to some degree, tanks. DPS only look at the larger damage numbers they are dealing. :p

I use parsers 90% for damage taken, even as dps. I can usually figure out where I made mistakes in dps just by the flow of the fight. Vanquish not procing for a while? Whoops I forgot to reapply DoTs so my dps went down and stuff wouldn't proc. Or oops I kept damaging Sword Squadron Walker 1 when his shield came up. The rest comes down to crits and such other than comparing APM from pull to pull.

But with the way progression should go your goal should start with surviving the fight, then maximizing dps and that comes from analyzing damage taken and knowing when to proactively use DCDs or what you need to do better to avoid.

Edited by bdatt

I am going to ask the most n00b question ever here...but...what the heck does "proc" mean?

I have heard that term for ages, and I still don't quite understand it's actual use.

As per Parsec - I've been checking my DPS, but I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what all the meter is checking. For example, last night I tried using it during Ravagers. I was watching my DPS numbers do all kinds of weird stuff - sometimes the number would spike pretty high, and then it'd reduce, then come back up. Sometimes it'd hit one single high-ish number, and then just stop. I did open up the options to see which actions(skills) I was using, and how often, but I guess I'm not understanding what my actual DPS output is, and how the parser determines it.

So...if I'm trying to make sure that I'm hitting the DPS check for Underlurker, what should I be looking for in terms of numbers? Should I be looking for one solid rotation to put me in the DPS check range? Or, could it be multiple rotations on a single target?

This is the part I'm not understanding. Also - on a related note, I see that there's a "raid healing" tab that I could set up as a raid leader, but if I'm just a healer trying to see what my numbers are like, how can I measure that? I haven't noticed a straight "heal meter" similar to the "dps meter".

Again - thank you all for feedback, anecdotes, tips, etc. - I'm trying to be a better player, so it's appreciated.

I am going to ask the most n00b question ever here...but...what the heck does "proc" mean?

A "proc" is an effect that you get automatically during the fight.

For example, there are relic with a 30% proc chance everytime you do an attack. If they proc, you receive an effect for a few seconds that increases your damage.

Or for example, some abilities can only be used when you have a certain effect, like a Scoundrel's Upper Hand or Op's Tactical Advantage. Those are procs that prop up throughout the fight and you'll have to adjust and change your rotation whenever they do occur.

Recently, a lot of the skill trees were reworked and now have a 100% proc chance, so it is no longer completely random what happens, but there are still cases where procs come unexpected.

In my post, I maybe used the word proc long. I was referring to "vanity" abilities that don't do damage/healing directly but are still useful. E.g. abilities that give you a shield, abilities that let you drop aggro, abilities that convert your stacks into a buff like Bloodthirst, gap-closing abilities (leaping to a target). Basically abilities with a long cooldown that you don't need to use to kill a boss but that all good players will use. Most of those abilities can be used on cooldown, i.e. as soon as they become available, you need to activate them immediately so that nothing is wasted.

As per Parsec - I've been checking my DPS, but I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding what all the meter is checking. For example, last night I tried using it during Ravagers. I was watching my DPS numbers do all kinds of weird stuff - sometimes the number would spike pretty high, and then it'd reduce, then come back up. Sometimes it'd hit one single high-ish number, and then just stop. I did open up the options to see which actions(skills) I was using, and how often, but I guess I'm not understanding what my actual DPS output is, and how the parser determines it.

So...if I'm trying to make sure that I'm hitting the DPS check for Underlurker, what should I be looking for in terms of numbers? Should I be looking for one solid rotation to put me in the DPS check range? Or, could it be multiple rotations on a single target?

This is the part I'm not understanding. Also - on a related note, I see that there's a "raid healing" tab that I could set up as a raid leader, but if I'm just a healer trying to see what my numbers are like, how can I measure that? I haven't noticed a straight "heal meter" similar to the "dps meter".

You always see your DPS numbers for the current combat. Never look at the numbers when doing the trash groups between bosses, only look at the DPS during boss fights.

For story mode, anything between 1.5k and 3k DPS is okay, for HM you currently need around 3.5k DPS. However, this depends greatly on the class you play and which gear you have, so don't be disappointed when you are only around 1.5k DPS, it will get better with practice.

Underlurker specifically requires around 2.5k to 3k DPS, depending on the group and the strategy. It is a little too high of a DPS check for SM, which is why most groups fail this boss.

The Raid Healing tab only works when you join a parsing group and every player is connected to Starparse, otherwise it stays empty.

Edited by Jerba

A "proc" is an effect that you get automatically during the fight.

For example, there are relic with a 30% proc chance everytime you do an attack. If they proc, you receive an effect for a few seconds that increases your damage.

Or for example, some abilities can only be used when you have a certain effect, like a Scoundrel's Upper Hand or Op's Tactical Advantage. Those are procs that prop up throughout the fight and you'll have to adjust and change your rotation whenever they do occur.

Recently, a lot of the skill trees were reworked and now have a 100% proc chance, so it is no longer completely random what happens, but there are still cases where procs come unexpected.

I *thought* that's what it meant...but wasn't 100% sure. Thank you very much for clarifying. Well - the good news is, I think I do well with triggering my actions and such when appropriate. I'm familiar enough with my classes to be at least average, in some cases with /FP'sOPs that I know very well, I do better than average. But I am trying to be better than average more often, so all of this info is crucial to that. Thanks for clarifying!

I have heard that term for ages, and I still don't quite understand it's actual use.

Its short for Programmed Random OCcurrence. :)

It basically means a randomly triggered ability has activated. In a game like this it usually indicates you have a gained a buff of some sort. That buff may increase your performance over a short period of time while it remains active, or it may allow the activation of another ability for reduced cost or increased effect and consume the buff in the process.

You always see your DPS numbers for the current combat. Never look at the numbers when doing the trash groups between bosses, only look at the DPS during boss fights.

For story mode, anything between 1.5k and 3k DPS is okay, for HM you currently need around 3.5k DPS. However, this depends greatly on the class you play and which gear you have, so don't be disappointed when you are only around 1.5k DPS, it will get better with practice.

Underlurker specifically requires around 2.5k to 3k DPS, depending on the group and the strategy. It is a little too high of a DPS check for SM, which is why most groups fail this boss.

The Raid Healing tab only works when you join a parsing group and every player is connected to Starparse, otherwise it stays empty.

This is where I still have some confusion...I was using Sparky as my 1st test for looking at my DPS. I first ran it on my Vanguard (Plasmatech), and then again on my Gunslinger (Sharpshooter).

On both toons, I would note that sometimes I'd run a rotation and see nice high numbers in the 3K + range. Then sometimes using the exact same rotation, it'd be more like 1500 - 1800. What I'm not understanding is why those numbers change so much when essentially using the same technique. Did it have something to do with how quickly I triggered actions (as someone noted before) which then negatively (or positively) affected my total output?

On a positive note...adding this tool to my normal SWTOR routine is making me want to play more. I had about a two week period of time where I barely logged in, and when I did I would just stare blankly at the screen and then log back out, lol.

Again - thank you all for feedback, anecdotes, tips, etc. - I'm trying to be a better player, so it's appreciated.

a proc' is any RNG determined event that has a successful outcome (you try to RE an item and get a schecmatic that is a proc), similar to a crit. In terms of DPS abilities and items that have a "chance to occur every XXX" any time that occurs it is a "proc". This is different than say a crit or a tick.

Tick being a periodic defined value (x damage over y seconds) every y seconds it will tick for x/y damage.

a crit is an RNG based attack where it has a chance to do additional damage (roll a 20 on a 20sided dice)

DPS is just as you would expect Damage per second. the reason it jumps around is you may get a tick on an AOE on a large number of enemies causing a sudden spike in damage. Another example of this is a hard hitting skill that say does 5000damage per hit. so in one hit you do 5000 damage (the global cool down then hits for 1.5seconds) so you end up doing 5000 damage when it first hits, but in the other half second you get no damage. then at 1.5 seconds you hit it again. so over those 3 seconds your dps is (5000 + 5000)/3 even though you hit it for 5k on first hit, then 0 damage, then 5k then 0. Another example might be hit it for a 10k crit, then do a 2k per second channel over 5 seconds you will see it spike at 10k then drop to 6k a second later, then drop down to 4.6k then 4k then 3.6k then 3.333k then 6.5k (with another 10k hit) then drop off again. DPS is a running average over time. Each second no damage is done decreases the total "DPS" but doesn't effect the total damage delt.

DPS = total damage/length of fight. as that damage number goes up/down the dps meter can spike rather large if you do lots of damage over a short time. You may have a few seconds where you yo may not be doing any damage. since you can only do one skill every 1.5 seconds you will see spikes ever GCD with small lulls in between.

How do you know if you have enough DPS to clear an operation...you clear it without hitting any enrage timers...

This is where I still have some confusion...I was using Sparky as my 1st test for looking at my DPS. I first ran it on my Vanguard (Plasmatech), and then again on my Gunslinger (Sharpshooter).

On both toons, I would note that sometimes I'd run a rotation and see nice high numbers in the 3K + range. Then sometimes using the exact same rotation, it'd be more like 1500 - 1800. What I'm not understanding is why those numbers change so much when essentially using the same technique. Did it have something to do with how quickly I triggered actions (as someone noted before) which then negatively (or positively) affected my total output?

On a positive note...adding this tool to my normal SWTOR routine is making me want to play more. I had about a two week period of time where I barely logged in, and when I did I would just stare blankly at the screen and then log back out, lol.

yes, any time spent not doing damage will drop your DPS. so delays in between hits (having to move to the boss for instance) will effect your dps.

DPS is simply total damage/ total time. even if your total damage never changes, any variable change in fight time will have a negative effect on DPS.

This may very well explain why my 1st interactions with the Underlurker (as an example) were so poor. I know I can put out the numbers on a dummy...but with moving, stopping, adjusting position, etc. (especially if not familiar with a fight, which will likely mean a bit more scrambling and lack of coordination) would also mean that my DPS output will suffer for it.

So...does anyone know of any programs similar to this that let you see your healing the same way you can see the DPS?

I'm happy to try another program if there's a better one that allows for that.

EDIT: I DL'd Starparse for comparison, and because someone told me I could see an HPS meter...I guess there's the overview window, but I'm not seeing a straight HPS overlay. Anyone know where it's located in the UI?

Edited by Bachannal

:eek: Whoa...that may be the best post I've ever read on these forums. Thank you for that...I had no idea it was even an acronym.

This is the kind of thing you learn in a Programming Theory class at University. And if you have a few old-school gamers in your class, you can listen to them argue with the professor over the origin of the term "proc".

Apparently there was someone who was quite popular in the MUD community who shortened the phrase "special process" by calling it "proc". And there were two older guys in my class that semester who thought it was worth arguing about.

They made it quite difficult for me to sleep through that boring class. lol

Edited by Orizuru

Gonna bump again to see if anyone can help...I DL'd StarParse as a comparison tool due to the fact that someone noted that it had a HPS meter like the DPS meter...the only thing I see that is similar is the stat overview popout. I could just be missing something obvious...or maybe I was misinformed.

Anyone know of how to pop out an HPS meter in StarParse?

I've seen a lot of people mention using programs like Parsec to see what kind of DPS/Heals, etc. you're putting out, so you can use that info to figure out where you're lacking, and adjust accordingly. I downloaded it this afternoon, and I've begun using it, but kind of lost as to how to best utilize the info.

I raid...not hardcore raiding, but not really casual either. I have a rough idea of what kind of DPS I can put out on a single target/single rotation....is that all I'm really looking to determine? I would assume that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What else should I be paying attention to, and more importantly, how do I use the info to my advantage after the fact?

Looking for any advice/tips/pointers - etc.

(thanks in advance)

I use Parsec and the SWTOR Combat Logger on my SWTOR Keyboard and Razer Dethstalker Ultimate - depending on which machine I'm on. the laptop or one of the ITX rigs.

total stats, dps, damage, heals, and threat for Operations. Usually in RAID01 on Shadowlands (the one I created last year) but currently on RAID007 p/w jacked

I like to see where the raid is, how the DPS is doing and keeping track on my threat vs the tanks. I'm usually heals.

keeping an eye on these, i feel, has increased my awareness during the operations. I was in an HMFP 2 days ago and the group had issues with the damage coming our way. I didn't have parsec running, but when I loaded it up, I found it was me. I have been away for a bit a my rotation was off and caused me to pull agro a lot. plus my HPS was lower than usual. there were other factors involved but im putting the blame on myself and lack of gameplay last few months. after seeing the numbers, I made the adjustments (cut my threat and adjusted rotation) and we had no more issues.

I haven't used the other one yet. must have released after I deployed. but having parsec or the combat logger running can assist. its not a requirement but feeds info to you where you can use this to improve your gameplay

First of all, programs like Starparse are a good way to measure your performance. When a boss goes enrage, you don't know what went wrong, which player was lacking DPS or if everyone was low. If you see the DPS values in a parser, you know who's doing well and who needs to improve. This can quickly lead to harassment and exclusion of certain players but if used responsibly, it is the best way for the group to know how to improve.

But more than just a DPS value, it tells you which abilities you used how often. In the midst of combat, you may not realize that you forgot to hit a proc or could use a certain ability more often.

It will also tell you your APM, your Actions per Minute, which is one of the most important values. Not only does it matter that you hit the right abilities in the correct order, you also have to hit them fast enough. SWTOR has a global cooldown of 1.5 seconds, and if it takes you 1.7 seconds to hit new abilties, you'll be like 15% below top performance.

Of course, it takes a lot of time to get used to a parsing program and you need to know the boss fights and how the important abilities are called, otherwise a parsing program won't help you. For my activity as a raidleader, Starparse gives me the tools to analyze our performance and figure out how to change the strategy. Without it, I'd be blind and not even know where to start.

Starparse also has timers that tell you how long until the next mechanic, which is priceless for fights like Sword Squadron's gravity pull