Scheduled Maintenance: March 12th, 2015

TaitWatson

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for Bioware. If they release on time, everyone complains and blames QA when they release buggy content. If they find issues and delay the Update until those issues are addressed, QA is blamed for "not doing their" job. Nothing Bioware does is every going to satisfy you. Do you have any idea what a bunch of ridiculous petty whiners you are? Sure, I get annoyed by some of the bugs and broken Achievements. The engine the game is built on has a number of issues and yes, Bioware probably chose poorly on that account. Which is neither the fault of the Bioware Developers or QA. As both a Software Developer (not a Bioware employee) and a player, I would much prefer a release be delayed a couple days to give the Developers time to get it right.

Over all, it is a good game and I enjoy it. If you are not enjoying the game, please do us all a favor; uninstall and stop whining.

You know i sometimes watch those comedy shows where the idiot looks at a problem and gives it a poetic name to justify it and the straight man has to fix it for the idiot. That comment of yours is beyond fixing.

I think you should be the one who should uninstall the game and stop playing since you can't even recall what happened with 3.1...

I feel sorry for Bioware. If they release on time, everyone complains and blames QA when they release buggy content. If they find issues and delay the Update until those issues are addressed, QA is blamed for "not doing their" job. Nothing Bioware does is every going to satisfy you. Do you have any idea what a bunch of ridiculous petty whiners you are? Sure, I get annoyed by some of the bugs and broken Achievements. The engine the game is built on has a number of issues and yes, Bioware probably chose poorly on that account. Which is neither the fault of the Bioware Developers or QA. As both a Software Developer (not a Bioware employee) and a player, I would much prefer a release be delayed a couple days to give the Developers time to get it right.

Over all, it is a good game and I enjoy it. If you are not enjoying the game, please do us all a favor; uninstall and stop whining.

Personally, this delay doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I would rather they delay a patch a couple days to get it right if that's what it takes.

But that being said, with respect to people who are upset about the delay or dismayed at what it may indicate about BW, I don't think expecting patches to generally be bug free and on time are particularly unreasonable demands (especially when the time between patches has been increasing each year).

There's a lot of daylight between being unpleasable and wanting a company to follow through on the schedule they set for themselves.

If it's TBD, it's not scheduled. ;)

if you saw at Taits first post it clearly stated the patch/maintenance was on the 10th of march before they changed it .It was scheduled and some people saw that.:eek:

The patch cadence used to be 6 weeks, then they gradually pushed it out to 9 weeks. Now we can reasonably assume that was due to losing team members to Shadowrealms.

Seems like they're unofficially making it 10 weeks now.

Personally, this delay doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I would rather they delay a patch a couple days to get it right if that's what it takes.

But that being said, with respect to people who are upset about the delay or dismayed at what it may indicate about BW, I don't think expecting patches to generally be bug free and on time are particularly unreasonable demands (especially when the time between patches has been increasing each year).

There's a lot of daylight between being unpleasable and wanting a company to follow through on the schedule they set for themselves.

Doesn't bother me one bit personally either But, as always, the sky is falling and the world is ending on these forums.

And another cancellation... You know, some people plan their week around maintenance and their plans are thrown off by news like this. This is the second patch in a row that got delayed. :mad:

Really? You really plan your week around the maintenance of a game?

Most people plan their life around, well, important stuff that matters.

Really? You really plan your week around the maintenance of a game?

Most people plan their life around, well, important stuff that matters.

When I have a week with a flexible schedule, I always try to play on a patch day to try out the new features. Now that the patch was moved, I am free to do something else on Tuesday. Fortunately, I did see the delay in time and was still able to move the appointments.

I can totally understand that other players don't care about the game that much, don't worry. :)

What worries me more than a one or two day delay of a patch is the message that the devs are sending. A one-time delay of a patch is okay, but we just had too many of those delays and bugs as of late. Yes, delaying a patch to get a bug fix in is a good decision, the question is why do they set a deadline that they cannot keep? :jawa_confused:

Obviously, there is some mismanagement going on or for some reason the work takes longer than expected. We've already moved from a 3-week to a 4-week cycle with no explanation and are just expected to adjust to a slower patch cycle. I'd wish for more openness but they'd never admit that EA cut their budget or that they had to reduce the staff.

Edited by Jerba

The patch cadence used to be 6 weeks, then they gradually pushed it out to 9 weeks. Now we can reasonably assume that was due to losing team members to Shadowrealms.

Seems like they're unofficially making it 10 weeks now.

Looks like you didn't read the memo Shadow Realms got canceled a month or so ago.

When I have a week with a flexible schedule, I always try to play on a patch day to try out the new features. Now that the patch was moved, I am free to do something else on Tuesday. Fortunately, I did see the delay in time and was still able to move the appointments.

I can totally understand that other players don't care about the game that much, don't worry. :)

What worries me more than a one or two day delay of a patch is the message that the devs are sending. A one-time delay of a patch is okay, but we just had too many of those delays and bugs as of late. Yes, delaying a patch to get a bug fix in is a good decision, the question is why do they set a deadline that they cannot keep? :jawa_confused:

Obviously, there is some mismanagement going on or for some reason the work takes longer than expected. We've already moved from a 3-week to a 4-week cycle with no explanation and are just expected to adjust to a slower patch cycle. I'd wish for more openness but they'd never admit that EA cut their budget or that they had to reduce the staff.

The software programming I have to deal with on a daily basis is very, very different from the stuff these guys do but there are enough similarities that I easily understand that when it comes to bug fixes there are many occasions when a conflict is discovered last minute as they do all of their checks to ensure that the bug fix doesn't break more stuff or add in a worse issue.

Schedules also change and while I'd much rather see small but more frequent fixes (less stuff to mess up) there are also the personnel issues that every business has to run into. So where you assume mismanagement, everyone else with real world experience with complex systems see normal.

And just because there were back to back delays this time doesn't make it an "every time" sort of thing. The sample size of 2 is entirely too small to call it "too many delays".

Basically, I'd opine that most players would rather see a delay than to see bug fixes that don't work or do more damage than they fix. Or, if we're really lucky, they had some extra stuff get done that they decided to add in to the update and needed a few more days to squeeze them in.

So, instead of throwing around "angry faces" when things don't go perfect every time just be glad that they made the decision to delay. No one, not even EA/BW, likes delays but when they happen for a good reason it's best to simply relax and go with the flow.

push maint back a week and show some love for not bringing down servers during aussie prime time for the 100th time.

too many raids in APAC are scheduled for Wednesdays and Thursdays if you delay it by 24 or 48 hours.

You mean there's place outside of Murica.

Stop with this nonsense :p

The reason they are delaying has nothing to do with mismanagement or anything like that, it has to do with the fact that people asked for more forewarning on patch notes. So they try to get the patch notes out a week early, which is awesome, but then they find something else that needs fixing and we get delays like this. In other words, don't blame the devs, blame the community. They are the ones that asked for more forewarning on patch notes. Get patch notes early, or get patches without delays (at least that we hear about), pick one. Can't really have both. The reason we are now seeing the delays is the fact they are trying to get patch notes to us early, and now the delays are more open. In other words, your complaint that EA/Bio should be more open is completely invalid, the reason for these delays is exactly the kind of openness you are asking for. Really, we should be thankful that Bio is listening to the community and getting more communication/warning on patches. I don't think delays are the end of the world compared to getting patch notes early.

And one last point to make, Bioware said right out that the date is subject to change, and that the "plan" was to get the patch out by 3/10. Not that the patch was going to 100% for sure be out on 3/10. They warned us this might change. Therefore, we have no reason to complain. Honestly, I'm glad they are communicating more, and giving us warnings. Complaints like the ones in this thread are just going to take that away from us.

Yes, delaying a patch should be a last resort, but it's still hugely better than applying a patch that does something major and known that is undesirable. Patches are rolling out on an on-going basis - personally, I say "thank you" to the devs who keep back a patch until it's as good as they can get it with their no doubt high-pressure release schedule.

A bad patch is infinitely worse than no patch.

Those of us who live in the real world understand Bioware, do what you gotta do.

I don't know what kind of "real world" you live in but the one i live in, failure like this again and again would have dire consequences. The only thing EAWare Austin did in last couple of months were delaying patches and releasing more bugs with every supposed bug fix. But since nothing happened to these lot i assume the reality you live in and EAWare Austin lives in is the same and in that reality constantly screwing up is considered accepted practice.

I totally feel the same. This community is awful and I sincerely hope the devs don't come here often else they should be on suicide watch.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

I don't know what kind of "real world" you live in but the one i live in, failure like this again and again would have dire consequences.

Wow, you live in a very tough environment then. Dire consequences for a delay in a patch? And calling it a "failure" per se is questionable. You must have a lot of stress in your life. Now I understand the negativity in most of your posts. I would hate my life if it would be as tough as yours. But let me tell you one thing: If your life is seriously so rough, I assure you that there are other ways to live your life more happily and peacefully. There are other employers, other jobs, other places. Maybe a change would do you good. Less hate, more relaxed manner.

Ontopic: No big deal at all in my opinion. The game is up and running. You can still play as always. The patch not being applied today does not damage anyone's gameplay.

@Jerba: Why are you so upset? You are one of the most reasonable people on this board. It's quite strange to see you outrage that much.

I totally feel the same. This community is awful and I sincerely hope the devs don't come here often else they should be on suicide watch.

Dude...really? If you seriously feel that way, step away from the computer and get help. If they're so incapable of taking feedback from their customers, perhaps they should avoid this industry.

Wow, you live in a very tough environment then. Dire consequences for a delay in a patch? And calling it a "failure" per se is questionable. You must have a lot of stress in your life. Now I understand the negativity in most of your posts. I would hate my life if it would be as tough as yours. But let me tell you one thing: If your life is seriously so rough, I assure you that there are other ways to live your life more happily and peacefully. There are other employers, other jobs, other places. Maybe a change would do you good. Less hate, more relaxed manner.

Ontopic: No big deal at all in my opinion. The game is up and running. You can still play as always. The patch not being applied today does not damage anyone's gameplay.

@Jerba: Why are you so upset? You are one of the most reasonable people on this board. It's quite strange to see you outrage that much.

Questionable? Ever since 3.0 exactly what did they do right? You can actually count how many right thing they did with 2 fingers. It doesn't take a smart person to see all the mess they created since 3.0. let's not go back to december let's go back 2 weeks ago when they were going to release 3.1, did they not delay just like this time saying otherwise there would be some quick hotfixes had to be employed? then what did they do? they failed to fix what they said would fix in patch note and not only that they broke even more stuff. And now again they are delaying patch. One only needs to play swtor with open eyes to be sceptical about EAWare Austin's work but of course someone who pretends not to see or think "everything is rainbows and sunshine".

All I'm gonna ask is this- when are the Marauders finally gonna get some loving? We keep getting teased with updates that keep getting delayed. I realize we're not the largest group of players in the game, but seeing as how we're a paying group of players in the game, we deserve a little less teasing and a little more results.

Otherwise, updates as they come, bugs are bad, yadda yadda yadda.