Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Loading screens - really??

LoverNoFighter

I don't mind the loading screens, just not the 45-55 seconds it takes to load them. Coming from a land line 125mbs, i73930 oc to 4.0 with 12gb 2133 ram and a ssd. Corelia, bel, hoth, take it he longest to load. I damn near miss wz pops in between zoning it takes so long.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the loading screens, just not the 45-55 seconds it takes to load them. Coming from a land line 125mbs, i73930 oc to 4.0 with 12gb 2133 ram and a ssd. Corelia, bel, hoth, take it he longest to load. I damn near miss wz pops in between zoning it takes so long.

Huh. Bel is the only one that takes forever for me. On my old laptop, Tat was unbearable after GSH came out for some reason, but now only Bels is long.

What server are you on?

Yet they took the time to redo some of the planetary approach videos...let that guy do this job too. Not everything needs to be ignored because it takes someone some effort to do it...that's just silly to think that way.

Completely different issue. During the approach videos nothing is getting loaded for the planet itself, thats going to require a lot of technical work.

Yet they took the time to redo some of the planetary approach videos...let that guy do this job too. Not everything needs to be ignored because it takes someone some effort to do it...that's just silly to think that way.

i wasn't talking development resources. Was talking computer resources.

when you have a static image, the graphics card simply puts it up and ignores it. doesn't need to refresh or change anything other than the status bar. It leaves the CPU and GPU free to actually do the work necessary for loading the data, and rendering the scene.

Make that dynamic which requires further updates/more processing the load times will increase. I personally would rather have a faster load with a static image, than a longer load with a animated scene.

i wasn't talking development resources. Was talking computer resources.

when you have a static image, the graphics card simply puts it up and ignores it. doesn't need to refresh or change anything other than the status bar. It leaves the CPU and GPU free to actually do the work necessary for loading the data, and rendering the scene.

Make that dynamic which requires further updates/more processing the load times will increase. I personally would rather have a faster load with a static image, than a longer load with a animated scene.

That and it would take longer to load...the loading screen. Hopefully you would just cache that, but that means it's taking up X more memory at all times.

Well, they could "hide" the loading screens behind something like an elevator ride or a nice animated video or something, but they can't get rid of them completely.

And for those of you who say WoW doesn't have loading screens, I suggest you go into WoW right now and use a hearthstone.

Or go into a dungeon.

The only differance between WoW and SWTOR when it comes to loading screens is that WoW loads its areas while you are moving, but since SWTOR have the areas separated into different planets, they can't do that.

Actually, using Rivatuner, I was able to see the loading screen generally hangs around for a good bit longer than the area -actually- takes to load.

So there's that.

Yeah, I've had loading screens pop up AFTER I've loaded the new area on occasion :rolleyes:

I'd prefer having an animation or something, but it's hardly a long loading time in general most of the time, so I'm fine with it.

Actually, using Rivatuner, I was able to see the loading screen generally hangs around for a good bit longer than the area -actually- takes to load.

So there's that.

They've had this problem since beta. The loading hangs on loading certain objects in the environment. For instance there is a light pole on Coruscant(think near the taxi) that hangs loading until it loads and it is one of the last things that loads. Some times the load screen will drop early, but you can't move. There you can watch it finally load that post then you can move. There are other spots, but that is the one that sticks in my mind.

This happens quite a bit actually...you see the flash of your character on Fleet, hear the sounds, then POP...loading screen...

Yeah me as well. If I remember correctly the transition screen (when taking an elevator or such, as opposed to a hard loading screen with a progress bar) was only put in after launch as a way of hiding the pop-in as assets are loaded in. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but you can definitely tell that the game is still running behind it.

Yeah me as well. If I remember correctly the transition screen (when taking an elevator or such, as opposed to a hard loading screen with a progress bar) was only put in after launch as a way of hiding the pop-in as assets are loaded in. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly, but you can definitely tell that the game is still running behind it.

Yeah, I have a vague memory of that as well...

Given the sudden and often unexpected (by the system) travel these days ... a multitude of planets, hopping to and from our Strongholds, Guild Ships, etc. ... I can get why the mechanism of a loading screen is necessary, and likely to remain so. While I don't mind the aesthetics of the loading screens, I wouldn't mind something new to look at while the little droid interface spins round and round.

Hmmm ... perhaps a female Twilek, doing that dance we all like, and with each spin of the droid interface, she removes more clothing? I.e., the longer the load screen takes, the more we see. That should quiet the complaints.;)

Fun fact: men on the moon predate all video game loading screens.

I think two challenges are present...

1. Bioware has limited development resources, making a game that loads as you go is likely harder than one with loading screens. Harder usually means "costs more".

2. Bioware has to make the game run on all kinds of computers, including those with far more limited resources than what some of us have. Sure, with 16GB of RAM, a fast SSD, and a fast quad core processor, they could easily keep it all in RAM and load as we go... what about 1GB of RAM, a slow laptop hard drive, and a slow dual core processor?

1. Bioware has limited development resources, making a game that loads as you go is likely harder than one with loading screens. Harder usually means "costs more".

It already does this. Once you're on a planet you no longer see loading screens because it loads the new areas on the fly. However, it can't do this when loading into entirely new and disjointed areas like planet transitions.

TEHawk

I've had lag issues there before. I think it was a population thing, though. And RP servers aren't intended to hold as many players, since it is an RP server.

Back at general thread:

I'm on Heat-Wave's points here. Not everyone can have those fancy techbits for their systems, so BW has make sure the game can run on the widest number of platforms it can. Similar to how Blue-Ray players can still play non-Blue-Ray DvDs, Blue-Ray is still relatively new, so backwards capable-ness (forgot the exact word) is still required.

Well, to be fair it can be done, but it is done using "zones", where you zone in to an area as the assets load instead of a loadscreen.

There are more than a few MMOs that have done this, but certainly it is not without it's own issues.

Zoning wouldn't work with how SWTOR is done.

SWTOR is graphics intensive by MMO standards. Objects in SWTOR have higher poly counts than other MMOs. SWTOR's lighting and particle effects are better than most other MMOs. That alone puts more demands on systems.

People who aren't playing on high end machines have already been suffering from mild framerate drops when in certain situations. Such as running content with sorcs for example.

Now just imagine what would happen to those people PC's if their PC had to deal with rendering force storm spam while also trying to load the next zone over. swtor would have to significantly increase the minimum system requirements.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I hate to say this but overall the game performs really bad. I have Charter Spectrum (100mps) and some really decent machines and SWTOR is the ONLY game that runs as bad as it does. The loading screens are embarrassing.

1) OP has a basic ignorance of game design, bordering on the ludicrous.

2) Loading screens simply mask partially loaded items in order to maintain immersion. Behind the loading screen your character is still standing there, items are being unloaded from the old location and loaded from the new location. You'd b*t*h like hell if there were no loading screens.

3) You can customize your loading screen, by doing a non-BitRaider install and then using your own images. Based on the OP's post, way too complex for you to understand, even though it's pig-simple.

Edited by Chazcon

Second monitor and ssd means loading screens are not a problem.

Currently leveling about 8 alts (new server) and frequently cycle through all of them one after another. On rare occasion a load will take a while but I just do something in chrome while I wait, like check out threads like this.

It's 2015. We've managed to put man on the moon. I think we can manage to remove the many loading screens that we have to endure in this game. They are not needed.

If they were not needed, your computer would not display them. I just upgraded to a better computer and see then hardly at all compared to my last computer.

No, it's...pretty much objectively true that The Old Republic is about as well optimized to play as a potato.

Yet that obviously does not dissuade you. Here you are paying for it.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Yet that obviously does not dissuade you. Here you are paying for it.

Yup, the Story has me hooked in pretty much forever. But playing any other decent MMO can show how badly optimized this game engine is--for instance, I've been playing PSO2, which looks a lot better, has faster combat, actual physics on stuff like hair, and literally doesn't lag at all even on my friends' bad computers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.