Action For The Ravager's Exploit

EricMusco

SNIP...

Have to admit, I am impressed you are acknowledging this. Still one has to wonder if there has been action taken internally for allowing this to remain as long as it did.

Same here. It did take to long to fix.

I'm sure they talked about it extensively but really, if you can't resist the urge to exploit and cheat in the game and then to make yourself feel better about it, blamed BW because you have no self-control. Do you really need that kind of player in the community?

Edited by Quraswren

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<Snipped>

Edit: after hearing what the requirements are this is a joke. 31 times = 1 day ban. lol good one BW. There is no insentive to not exploit anything. Leave it to the professionals to send the wrong msg. Smh but 1 should always expect BW to **** it up if there's an opportunity to.

Edited by Avicii

I agree with Max on this Eric.

This was a minor issue that was no worse than you guys leaving Ultimate comms as rewards for 55 Ops. If you are so eager to ban players over it, you should have had the prudence to remove the loot, rather than letting it fester for 4+ weeks, including a week AFTER you made a post about it.

I'm glad so few people did it, but I think your reactions to this are terribly inappropriate.

In terms of effect on the game, I agree: leaving Ultimate Comms in for the old Ops probably had far, far more effect overall than this Ravager exploit.

Really, this whole thing kind of feels like the SWTOR version of Deflate-gate: technically wrong, but in the end not really that big of a deal and tacitly condoned for so long because nothing was done about it before.

With the exploit fixed, did we finally get a door on Cortanni's room fixed, it's really drafty in there and I'm sure she'd like her door and cutscene back. So far I've only run into the door once, and it popped up after half the group had walked inside the room. Didn't even know there was a cutscene till a week ago.

I'm all about fixing exploits, but it does seem that anytime there's a bug that gives an advantage to the players, that gets fixed quickly, but a bug that hurts the players that takes a lot longer to fix. Say, 8M loots on Cortanni in 16M Group finder. That's just a recent one. It always feels that exploits get priority, and bugs get the backburner till they get around to it eventually.

So 15 days after you closed the exploit? I'm guessing it was a bit more widespread than you wanted to let on.

Have to admit, I am impressed you are acknowledging this. Still one has to wonder if there has been action taken internally for allowing this to remain as long as it did.

its a catch 22, either you don't release content near major Christmas holiday and take advantage of the sales, or you run the risk that bugs/exploits may exist until chance to fix post holiday.

There are many things that can prevent a bug from getting fixed. They acknowledged it and have resolved the issue. The point is, regardless of its existence, using it was a personal choice and anyone who used it has only them selves to blame for their actions.

In terms of effect on the game, I agree: leaving Ultimate Comms in for the old Ops probably had far, far more effect overall than this Ravager exploit.

Ultimate comms don't buy you the lvl 60 mats nor the schematics, and the gear it does buy is worse than what drops in Ravagers SM, let alone HM.

I'm happy with what's announced here. Permabans would have been far too harsh, but not doing anything would really have sent the wrong message.

its a catch 22, either you don't release content near major Christmas holiday and take advantage of the sales, or you run the risk that bugs/exploits may exist until chance to fix post holiday.

There are many things that can prevent a bug from getting fixed. They acknowledged it and have resolved the issue. The point is, regardless of its existence, using it was a personal choice and anyone who used it has only them selves to blame for their actions.

I still believe that their long-standing tradition of ignoring exploiters and simply fixing the exploit is what led to how wide-spread this particular exploit got.

If they'd come down hard on Nefra exploiters, this wouldn't have ever been an issue.

I still believe that their long-standing tradition of ignoring exploiters and simply fixing the exploit is what led to how wide-spread this particular exploit got.
Agreed. I can't wait to see what happens to all the ranked win trading that people partake in...I bet that investigation is HUGE!

Thank you Eric for the candid and very informative and open post. As an aside, I think the playerbase of SWTOR would benefit and appreciate more open and honest communication of this scale more often. Most of the rage that happens on these forums comes about as a result of the lack of communication from the Dev and CM team. More communication like this would go a long way to fostering a better relationship between the team and the community.

That being said, I fully support the team's final decision on this matter. Unlike other gamers, I do not condone cheating of any magnitude, nor length of time, regardless of where the "fault" of the exploit lies. It is an unfortunate fact, it seems, that in the gaming community, a sense of honor and fair play is no longer appreciated. I am glad of the fact that most of the playerbase did not partake of the exploit, regardless of how it was introduced and how long it was "active." And it shames me as a gamer that others would try to find some excuse to justify using that exploit.

While I may not agree with every decision that the dev team makes in regards to elements of SWTOR, this is one I understand and fully support.

Excellent, this is exactly the response I felt was appropriate. Well done, Bioware.

We need more posts like this about important issues instead of useless garbage like community streams. There should be a post of this substance and importance at least once a week.

Edited by Icebergy

Excellent, this is exactly the response I felt was appropriate. Well done, Bioware.

We need more posts like this about important issues instead of useless garbage like community streams. There should be a post of this substance and importance at least once a week.

There's nothing important going on weekly, and that's the real problem with this game.

There's nothing important going on weekly, and that's the real problem with this game.

If they were to limit the posts to once per week as I said the minimum should be, I could think of about 3 months worth of topics just off the top of my head.

I smell BS there, I have no intention of drinking the Kool-Aid.

The problem was made apparent very early on, but no one wanted to go back into the office.

This stuff happening isn't a once off occurrence, it happens EVERY patch/new content; but hey have to remember a slot machines drop rate can be fixed and do a complete 180 in beliefs within 24 hours after everyone has brought the damn thing with real world currency?

Kudo's for being open BW, but atleast don't expect everyone to think this is a clear cut issue between cheaters and non cheaters as the "Fruit from the Poisonous Tree" has been delicious for the high and mighty "oh we never did that" crowd.

No one can be silly enough to think the mats they brought on the GTN were the 'good' ones?.. or that shiny new barrel or hilt .... Too Late, Too Slow, somedays the piss poor foresight goes Bioware's way, others go the players; so get off your soap boxes and lets get back to business

did we finally get a door on Cortanni's room fixed, it's really drafty in there and I'm sure she'd like her door and cutscene back. So far I've only run into the door once, and it popped up after half the group had walked inside the room. Didn't even know there was a cutscene till a week ago.

we run this on Fridays and if the door is open for everyone in the OP we just pop out of the OP before going into her room. Pop back into the Op and the door is shut.

Edited by Dainter

I think it had to be handled but I do fear that not only will this game lose the exploiters but other people as well.

I am in this game for a the long term and population falling even more worries me bout how long this game will last.

That being said I also believe perma bans for some is called for.

However the amount of people who have the 198 chest is way way up there. If you ban some of these people for any amount of time they may very well call it quits since MOST are sick of the bugs in this game since 3.0

Great expansion but taking so long to fix underlurker was just plain sad. The fact that cortanni still isnt fixed.

The server lag thats been going on and even more so the harbinger server crashing. Its all getting old and this doesnt help.

BW knew about this exploit from the day after 3.0 released and never issued a warning which would have reduced this whole mess and allowed them to focus on the real issues with the game.

Do we know when we can expect the suspensions to start? It will be pretty disruptive for a lot of guilds I would suspect, and so an approx timeframe (this weekend? next week? TODAY?) would be good to know so they can plan accordingly.

Don't quote me on this, but I would say that if eric is posting the specifics then the bans have already starting going out.

Do we know when we can expect the suspensions to start? It will be pretty disruptive for a lot of guilds I would suspect, and so an approx timeframe (this weekend? next week? TODAY?) would be good to know so they can plan accordingly.

From Eric's OP:

As of this post, our actions against players has begun.