Flashpoints are Insanely Hard!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ran Athiss last night, and it was the most fun I've had in TOR so far...and I've been loving TOR!

Our PUG was lots of fun...2 tanks, 1 DPS, 1 healer. All 3 of those guys are now on my friends list. We all knew how to play our roles and work together, we all had a positive attitude, and we had a great time; next time I'm LFGing, I'll be looking for them first. We wiped once on the first big boss, and then once again on the final boss, but other than that, it was a smooth run.

I liked it that there was some challenge to the main bosses and the mini-bosses, but I did think that many of the basic mobs were a little too easy, since our group just steamrolled through many of them...but maybe that's how it goes when you have 2 over-levelled tanks and a good healer. :)

Also, I thought it was cool that our crew skills (Archaeology and Slicing) made a difference in our group's path (shortcut) during the flashpoint. That was a nice touch.

...and I WOULD NOT have it any other way!

I came over from WoW, where dungeons, heroics, and basically anything that wasn't a top-tier raid was just a steamroll. The content got old EXTREMELY quickly, because you could hardly call running a dungeon in taht game "playing". You ran forward, spammed whatever abilities you had, and got your couple tokens. Then you did it again.

So, imagine my surprise when we walk into Athiss. I did the Esseles once with my friend, and it wasn't too much of a challenge. But Athiss today was my first Flashpoint with a full group (I was healing as a level 21 Smuggler Sawbones).

We got to the second boss with minor issues (one wipe due to a patrol that managed to pull from literally across the Flashpoint), and then WIPEFEST. I think we wiped on the second boss 3 or 4 times, then another 3 or 4 on the last boss.

Oh no, say the extreme casuals! Effort! Wipes! I can't play this game!

Well, I am FAR from a hardcore player (I had the entire week of early access and I have a 21 Smuggler and a 14 Trooper) and I can't remember the last time I had as much fun in a flashpoint as in Athiss today. Those of you who argue for LFD saying it doesn't harm communities, sure, it doesn't. But how often do you walk out of a random dungeon finder run and add everyone in the group to your friend's list? I can't remember the last time I friended ANYONE in a dungeon in WoW, but all 3 of my party members definitely made my list after that run.

Long story short, I absolutely love basically all of Bioware's choices as far as Flashpoints are concerned. I love the difficulty, I love the lack of a dungeon finder (for now... we'll see how long that lasts), and I love the whole feel of the run.

TL;DR: If you've ever whined about Flashpoint difficulty, slap yourself, then L2P.

I agree with you sir. I'd also like to point out that wiping is less time consuming in this game, due to a number of small perks that Bioware implemented. I like to being challenged, otherwise why play the game?

However, Bioware may need to implement a "more casual" dungeon difficulty. They could get the same gear, just give the hard mode players more gold/titles/achieves/mounts/ect. tp compensate. Eh, but even then, it didn't work in WoW with gear teirs (they had to bring the difficulty down), so I don't know where the devs/EA will draw the line.

This is a big issue in mass appealing MMOs and I hope Bioware caters to everyone a little bit.

I find Flashpoint avarge, how it should be at our level.

i dont mind wiping once because we did not focus hard enough on the adds, it's called ''progress'' and you learn from it and than deal with it.

is in a end result a dead boss :)

and if people complain already now on the diffeculty play somthing els please...

the diffeculty of world of warcraft dungeons on low level is a huge laugh... compleetly no challence at all..

i love how it is now

I'd have to agree. My first time running Mando Raiders, we were all 23/24/25. I was the powertech tank, and we got wiped after taking down 1 or 2 guys. Eventually we got to the point where we could take them all 4, once we had the right plan. I didn't expect it to be near that rough

(that's what she said?)

MMO should have some challenge. If players expect to walk a flashpoint when they are under the group size, in a pug and under levelled then forget it, they will wipe. Get some levels, some gear and some tactics.

If you expect to do mando raiders with 23/24/25 and a companion then we do not want the same game. Please do not dumb down this excellent game.

Edited by Aljabik

MMO should have some challenge. If players expect to walk a flashpoint when they are under the group size, in a pug and under levelled then forget it, they will wipe. Get some levels, some gear and some tactics.

If you expect to do mando raiders with 23/24/25 and a companion then we do not want the same game. Please do not dumb down this excellent game.

...I think I'm going to go back through this thread and start up a tally of people who should have their posting privileges revoked because apparently they're incapable of reading the OP.

AS I found out hardmode flashpoints are insanely hard with bad players - noobs. But when your group know what to do - tank is properly tanking, holding aggro, damage dealers can do some cc (knockbacks, stuns,interrupts, 1minute cc etc.) and healer is not sleeping then hardmode flashpoints are easy if you dont count some bugs... only whats annoying is Taral V and last boss with lvl 33 loot drop...

And here we go... need logs, allow us use addon like recount, damage meter etc. so people will have easier time fix group and kick out noobs.

Edited by Liquidator

I think people need to manage expectations for the game in general seeing as its still in its infancy. Everyone is going to have their own opinions of how they perceive the content to be and should be respected.

So far, I think the game is great and will continue to get better as more content is introduced.

I'm really happy to hear that you are enjoying a bit of difficulty with the FP's.

I've found that typically when new content is released there's an outcry of "IT'S TOO HARD!!! Make it easier!", only to see the devs cave in and tone things down. Unfortunately, in a month you see the same people crying for more content because they've burned through everything.

Personally, I prefer to have things a little more difficult and have to learn it and/or gear up for it.

Edited by Wonca

Its kinda fashionable to bash wow, and as a former player myself its tempting to do so sometimes. However, some of the cataclysm heroics at release were pretty interesting (they were eventually nerfed to suit the majority of players.) Stonecore in particular was very challenging, far more challenging than athiss anyway

Cataclysm's problem was that you could face-roll every single instance on your way to 80 and never have to pay attention to boss mob mechanics or CC anything at all. All the bosses in dungeons prior to 80 would die within 10-20 seconds. They were basically speed bumps between you and the end of the instance. Then you stepped foot into Stonecore and got whacked with a very big hammer. At a minimum, they should have gone back and re-tuned all of the Wrath/BC dungeons.

Early instances need to be easy and difficulty needs to gradually increase as you level up.

People like the owner of this thread will ruin this game. The flashpoints are supposed to be hard, tough and require a good group of friend working on the same objetive: overcome a challenging task together, even after a wipe.

Now BioWare has just changed the difficult on MR and some other flashpoints...

Now even an a group consisting of an EWOK tanking - with nothing but a chest armor made of bones and wood -, C3PO with Maurauder DPS spec, an Assassin Hutt, and Jar Jar Binks healing can win this flashpoint now.

People like the owner of this thread will ruin this game. The flashpoints are supposed to be hard, tough and require a good group of friend working on the same objetive.

And you have every right to play the way you like to. Unfortunatly some of us dont have that kind time on our hands, so the obvious solution is some sort of team size leveling system for the flashpoints.

This is not WoW...the days of easy mode and free epics are over...work for your rewards...quit expecting them to be handed to you for logging in...if it is a 4 man Heroic that does mean you, your buddy and 2 companions....it means 4 people.

i've easily downed heroic 4 withs a friend and his companion + mine

After reading about 1/2 of the posts in the Thread, I'm not sure what the hell people are even referring to anymore. lol Started off with Flashpoints, went to Heroic quests, then onto Heroic 2m's... As far as the Flashpoints go, they are great. Good build, un-ignorable mechanics, as it should be, and grp comp matters. I, and most, like that they arent faceroll. Makes things too boring too fast otherwise. And hell, I've been playin mmo's for years and im finding it just about right when it is coming into the transition of regular flashpoints into Hard Modes, ie. You get you butt handed to you if you do it wrong and gear, that you are forced to work for, finally matters again. Good Job bioware imo!

After doing hard modes last night, there are going to be soooo many tears from the bads once they start trying them.

I raided 25 man "heroics" in wow and say hard mode 4 mans in TOR are harder than most of wow's current raid bosses :D

Edited by NasherUK

After doing hard modes last night, there are going to be soooo many tears from the bads once they start trying them.

I raided 25 man "heroics" in wow and say hard mode 4 mans in TOR are harder than most of wow's current raid bosses :D

Kinda gives ya a warm and fuzzy huh? lol

OP.

I tell ya.

I am very slow player, I do things slowly, I need time to understand tacts/mechanics but so far the only place where I wiped was colicoid shooting arcade just because...

Otherwise, I can't remember anything worth mentioning.

Athiss last boss requires 2 things:

1. healer needs to watch debuffs on players and heal such players thru debuff

2. avoid fires and heal players they are targeting.

The next big thing was mandalorian raiders - the famous four - but now they are nerfed.

Maelstrom Prison had healing intensive last boss and more tacts for Red Reaper bosses.

Nothing else.

The only flashpoint I've done so far was Esseles and we had no trouble at all with it, I swear there was only one time ever where someone's health dropped really low, and we didn't even have a healer (although we did have someone who was level 15.)

Can't wait for the other flashpoints.