Commendations in 3.0

Brewski

I actually do alright in groups like that, so long as people are willing to tell me what I need to watch out for. I've found if you wait too long to try your hand at a large group-scale mission, they tend to ride you for the slightest foul-up because they assume everyone there has done it so much it should be fairly mechanical and thus "just know how to do it without us holding your hand."

I mean, when did asking if there's a mechanic to be aware of turn into "I don't know how to do anything on my own?"

Hear, hear! I love when I say "I've never tanked this ops before" and people start explaining to me how threat works.

No, please check my achievements. I KNOW HOW TO TANK. But then they get nervous and make me an off tank and.... I still have no idea how to tank the ops when we're done. Great.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

While you're all looking at conversion rates etc etc.... do you think you can increase the absolutely abysmal weekly caps on commendations for subscribers, like the atrocious 200 limit on Elites Commendations and the really pathetic 150 limit on Ultimate Commendations?

I know it's there to prevent burning through content, but this is a complete and utter fallacy when most of us will flip to an alt. and shove stuff into legacy gear to send to a main character. Just up the weekly limits for subscribers, we pay for the game because a few of us play it a lot.

Thanks.

They like their credit sinks. It will stay.

ok great, so basically no point in touching this game until 3.0

:rolleyes:

From strictly a stand point of gear or the drive to raid and gain such gear .. perhaps ... But some of us still have a couple of alts that need to be brought up to 55 ... Sooo yeah . a good chance to get some stuff caught up!

(just for fun)

:D

Hear, hear! I love when I say "I've never tanked this ops before" and people start explaining to me how threat works.

No, please check my achievements. I KNOW HOW TO TANK. But then they get nervous and make me an off tank and.... I still have no idea how to tank the ops when we're done. Great.

One of the best things about my guild is we have at least 2 Operations Leaders who explain all the encounters with such depth and detail that even the dps know how to tank it after running with the guild a time or two.

Edited by Orizuru

[*]All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

What idiots idea was this?Utterly and completely ridiculous. :mad: I have 8 toons with 300 Ultimate comms each on them in preparation for 3.0, so essentially all my hard work is flushed down the toilet because one guy wants to be a JERK and not let you have them for some outlandish reason. Talk about a pile of bull****.

Good post Brewski!

I wanted to explain exactly how the Commendation stuff will work in 3.0 as I know I still had some questions I was unsure of on the stream. Here is the basic layout of what will happen in 3.0.

• Planetary and Classic Commendations no longer exist. All current Planetary and Classic Commendations will become Basic.
  • All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

-eric

Why screw everyone over turning all their coms into basics and by the same rational I suspect turning 180 gear into basic.

At most people would be transferring 300 ultimate coms over which is hardly going to break the bank or mean everyone will be in uber gear seconds into hitting 60th level and for what pay off? It seems a really dumb move to stop people bringing over 300 coms and for nothing.

I can't say I see the rational and it would be good to hear why this decision was made and how you think this supports long term supports of the game and doesn't make it very clear to everyone that the gear grind (which is all DP and DF are after the first play through) is such an act of futility in SWTOR that smart gamers should only play the expansions when they come out then box the game stop subscribing until the next expansion. As each expansion makes all previous gear worthless or in this case running a few heroics on the starting worlds to cap the basic coms.

What idiots idea was this?Utterly and completely ridiculous. :mad: I have 8 toons with 300 Ultimate comms each on them in preparation for 3.0, so essentially all my hard work is flushed down the toilet because one guy wants to be a JERK and not let you have them for some outlandish reason. Talk about a pile of bull****.

They want people to gear more slowly, since new content doesn't come out very often. I'm not necessarily happy either (I've been stacking comms as well) but I understand why they did it and I'm not overly upset about it.

Well you know what they say about when you assume...

Am I reading the Dev Post wrong?

Won't the Basics be usable to buy gear up to the level that the Ultimates are used for now?

If that's the case, what's the harm in having current Ultimates turned into the new Basics?

Nothing, these people want to buy new Ultimates with existing Ultimate currency.

They want people to gear more slowly, since new content doesn't come out very often. I'm not necessarily happy either (I've been stacking comms as well) but I understand why they did it and I'm not overly upset about it.

"They want" being the problem. Subscribers should be able to keep their comms and not have them forceably downgraded to garbage comms. It's like working heard to earn 300 bucks only to have some idiot setting in an office, because that's my opinion of whoever did this, decided one day out of nowhere that it's only worth 10 bucks now and you have to start all over again to get 300 again. JUST to make people play a bit more, when people already play enough as it is.

This decision already makes me not like 3.0 and makes me feel bored already, because I'll get bored to tears having to do ALL the ops ALL over again and earn my comms ALL over again on 8 55's. :mad:

Edited by DarthVengeant

"They want" being the problem. Subscribers should be able to keep their comms and not have them forceably downgraded to garbage comms. It's like working heard to earn 300 bucks only to have some idiot setting in an office, because that's my opinion of whoever did this, decided one day out of nowhere that it's only worth 10 bucks now and you have to start all over again to get 300 again. JUST to make people play a bit more, when people already play enough as it is.

They should be worth exactly what they're worth now - i.e. let you buy exactly what you can buy right now.

I honestly don't understand why people are unhappy about existing ultimate and elite comms being transferred into basic comms. Currently, elite and ultimate comms will get you 168 and 180 gear, respectively. Once 3.0 hits, the comms will be converted into a currency that will get you...wait for it...180 gear or better! Where exactly is the downgrade in that?!?

Some people seemed to have assumed that playing story mode 55 content would get them comms that could be used to acquire close to best gear at level 60, but I frankly don't know why they were assuming that.

Why screw everyone over turning all their coms into basics and by the same rational I suspect turning 180 gear into basic.

At most people would be transferring 300 ultimate coms over which is hardly going to break the bank or mean everyone will be in uber gear seconds into hitting 60th level and for what pay off? It seems a really dumb move to stop people bringing over 300 coms and for nothing.

I can't say I see the rational and it would be good to hear why this decision was made and how you think this supports long term supports of the game and doesn't make it very clear to everyone that the gear grind (which is all DP and DF are after the first play through) is such an act of futility in SWTOR that smart gamers should only play the expansions when they come out then box the game stop subscribing until the next expansion. As each expansion makes all previous gear worthless or in this case running a few heroics on the starting worlds to cap the basic coms.

Down-grading the tokens like this is pretty much par for the course in games like this. After the stream on Friday I was surprised that they had given the impression a down-grade wasn't going to happen. However, Musco's post to clarify that this morning was not a surprise at all.

I see more rationality in the down-grade than not doing it. I'd wait until we know more about the conversion rates before throwing a fit.

Edited by Orizuru

I have no real problem with the change in value for the Commendations, since they're essentially getting a boost , although it means for the next month or so, it's way more worth it to do easy stuff to earn Basics, rather than break ones back earning Ultimates, and save for the new gear that will be better than anything even Ultimates can even buy right now.

I am curious what's going to happen to the actual gear, though. A lot of those shells are pretty good looking, and it'll suck if we have to wait nearly two years for them to start showing up in gamble packs ilke what happened with the previous "endgame" gear...doubly so since Tionese/Rakata/Columi was still only one model, and right now we have four.

"They want" being the problem. Subscribers should be able to keep their comms and not have them forceably downgraded to garbage comms.

How is it a downgrade when the 300 comm type A you have in your "wallet" will buy you X today, and the 300 comms you have in your "wallet" will buy you exactly the same X in 3.0? Plus, the 257 type B and the 136 comm type C will all become comm type A, allowing you to actually buy more X in 3.0, right?

All they're doing is changing the names.

Bioware makes hair-brained decisions from time to time, but I'm not seeing how this is one of them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.