The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

One free advanced class change as mitigation for revamping classes

Deewe

• Hybrids won't be possible anymore.
  • Advanced classes are changed.

In short the character template you created might very well end in the alternative AC, having you stuck with a character you might not have that fun playing anymore.

As such it seems a good gesture from BioWare would be to give players a free Advanced Class change per character.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In short the character template you created might very well end in the alternative AC

This is patently false.

The roles available for each AC are not changing. The only "character templates" you could have created up to this point are DPS, Heal, Tank, Hybrid DPS/Heal, and Hybrid DPS/Tank. If Disciplines eliminate Hybrids, then they'll be eliminated for everyone, so you may lose a Hybrid DPS/Heal template, but you will still have access to a DPS template and a Heal template. The available basic (non-Hybrid) templates are not changing. And your hybrid template is not being moved to another class, it's being taken out of the game.

In this game, AC = Class, and choosing a class typically is a decision you make once and can never change, in any class-based MMO, of which this is one. Class changes also are almost never allowed just because classes get rebalanced, or even because the entire class system gets revamped.

You're asking to change your class because under the new system you think that being forced to choose one thing or the other instead of two things at once is going to make the game suck for you. Maybe so, but it's going to suck the same for everyone. The fact that some classes will be brought back into line with the overall power level of the rest by eliminating hybrids is not a reason to let you trade in a character of one class for one of a completely different class.

There may be some good arguments for allowing class changes, but this isn't one of them.

Edited by Heezdedjim

you do know that what you are asking might not even be possible right? And they said multiple times no to that, once you choose your advanced class its completely set and it affects stuff. plus while its being revamped they are still the same classes that they were before with the same roles, its not like you will see scoundrels begin to tank or Juggernauts to start to heal other players, so no it is not necessary at all.

In short the character template you created might very well end in the alternative AC, having you stuck with a character you might not have that fun playing anymore.

As such it seems a good gesture from BioWare would be to give players a free Advanced Class change per character.

What the hell are you talking about? How does the new system in ANY way change your advanced class? I mean if you actually paid any attention you would see that yes hybrids are being killed off, but the our classes remain the same we just get some more versatility in our skills.

Really? So that is what this thread is really about an attempt to bring up the changing of advanced classes debate again. Look it is not going to happen. Deal with it and let us see the changes before we scream blue bloody murder.

No.

You built your Flavor of the Month character knowing it was Flavor of the Month. You don't get to change just because someone took away your completely-unoriginal build when you knew that the main reason for the change was to combat the increasingly imbalanced FotM builds.

(I only mildly apologize if you were trying something genuninely original and not one of the overused, pre-baked FotM builds. Seriously: I had to take a break from Warzones because I was tired of going up against teams that had five or even six Juggernaut/Guardians.)

No.

You built your Flavor of the Month character knowing it was Flavor of the Month. You don't get to change just because someone took away your completely-unoriginal build when you knew that the main reason for the change was to combat the increasingly imbalanced FotM builds.

How will this help if its a one time change like OP wants.

If its for cartel coins like some of us want will people switch AC for every update paying nearly 2000cc?

How will this help if its a one time change like OP wants.

Why support it even once? The game is quite clear: Your AC is permanent. OP (and others) want to change their AC, usually not because its different from what they selected, but because the balancing on them changed (ie: they were higher-than-average before and now they're not). I have no sympathy for people who only play a class because it is the highest performing class. It's fine if that's what made you pick it in the first place, but I'm not going to support any effort to make it easier for them to hop from one FotM to another.

Perhaps that's a little fascist of me, but I honestly feel that the min-maxing, FotM-chasing behavior of "elite" gamers is destructive to gaming communities. I'm fine with it existing, but I don't support making it any easier.

...will people switch AC for every update paying nearly 2000cc?

No, they'll whine that "EAware is gouging us for wanting to be effective".

Edited by Malastare

Is there any actual preview of a discipline path/tree/whatever yet? Because just from reading about it, it seems to me that hybrid builds will be easier to.... erm, "build"..., not harder.

Also, is there reason to assume implementing an Advanced Class change is easy?

Wells seems I'm getting some lovin!

Fair enough :)

So let me specify a bit you know... things.

1) You can reroll especially with the XP boost.

• Yes but no as you won't have your gear, nor unlocked crafting schematics, nor your mounts, nor even your pets.

2) Classes don't change

• They do. Ex: no more assassin madness. So if you where more into madness than assassin you then have to roll a new character.

3) The game is quite clear: Your AC is permanent.

• Fine as long as they don't change them, which they are.

Edited by Deewe

Is there any actual preview of a discipline path/tree/whatever yet? Because just from reading about it, it seems to me that hybrid builds will be easier to.... erm, "build"..., not harder.

Dulfy has the livestream examples of three disciplines for Sorc up on her website today.

No, they'll whine that "EAware is gouging us for wanting to be effective".

People will always whine no changing that, does not mean the restrictions places from beginning should not be removed. If Bioware listened to the whiners the game would be dead(switching to F2P and cartel market saved it IMO), we would not have adaptive gear, nor character customize. If the AC change comes people will complain for a while then it will become a natural part of the game like all the other features.

Besides now people cannot complain about inexperienced players KDY and the 12XP boost have seen to it. :cool:

• Yes but no as you won't have your gear, nor unlocked crafting schematics, nor your mounts, nor even your pets.

2) Classes don't change

• They do. Ex: no more assassin madness. So if you where more into madness than assassin you then have to roll a new character.

1) Well that's the price you pay if you want to switch your class.

2) You didn't pay attention to the stream did you? They're renaming the spec, not removing it. If the most important part about the Assassin's Madness spec was the name then I can't really say I sympathize.

3) They aren't.

2) Classes don't change

None of what you said is correct.

- Legacy gear since ACs share key stats

- Madness has a new name, same mechanics

-They didn't change them

@ Malastare wont Disciple system reduce the FotM chances since developer can balance the class more easily/predictably and not have to worry about over powered hybrid builds?

I mainly ask for AC for head cannon reasons wont make more than 1 of each class on single server :o

I think the new system and the XP boost are the best time to introduce AC class switch.

2) Classes don't change

Hatred is just a new name and probably new animations for few abilities, but it remains the same in its effects. If you are really stuck on a name nobody but you sees, well, that is your problem...

Hatred is just a new name and probably new animations for few abilities, but it remains the same in its effects. If you are really stuck on a name nobody but you sees, well, that is your problem...

This exactly

AC is your class. Period. I in no way support being able to change advanced classes, It would lead to infinitely more problems than it would "fix" (fix is in quotations because there is no issue to fix with AC).

-Varaldus

How about no?

Also I keep seeing the hybrid crying....You all realize this new system is a glorified hybrid system now right? Specs are getting utilities they were never meant to have access to. Games going to be incredibly broken.