Left Right

BowtieJones

snip

Wait are you seriously getting all elitist over what terminology people use to call incs? Really?

Yes compass rose direction are universal, but in some maps other terminology is more effective. Voidstar in particular given the fact that the last room switches from east/west to north/east.

Saying people are bad players for not using compass rose directions is ludicrous. Particularly when most maps have far better distinguishing characteristics.

Edited by Zoom_VI

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling an inc is not for myself, it's for others. So I need to make sure that THEY know what I mean.

Communications 101.

So, if people are better at relating left and right than they are at relating east and west.. I will use left and right.

Because unless people memorize exactly where east and west is.. they have to open their map and look where it's placed on the map. Then figure what is what. While everyone knows left from right (I hope..)

It's faster, more effective overall and simplified.

My point is just that I don't need an airstrike at 38°53'51.7"N; 77°02'11.6"W.

I need someone to come and help me as soon as possible and I want them to do

that without having to stand still and think about where I actually need that help.

(^ is just an example btw, don't go about thinking weird things)

Edited by Evolixe

I actually expected the responses that said "If you looked at your minimap you'd know."

Basic math with a dash of common sense will tell you everything you need to about know where to be. Honestly you shouldn't even need a call, you should be half way there by the time the call get posted in chat.

Hell, every time someone with a chat fail (1111222222223411) I instantly look at the defender's health on "the other door/node" to make sure it wasn't him/her.

Don't be that guy in the WZ, you know the one who asks "where is left?". That guy will always be worse that the defender that simply posted "help".

Edited by Ridickilis

My point is just that I don't need an airstrike at 38°53'51.7"N; 77°02'11.6"W.

But what if I need a airstrike at 38°53'51.7"N; 77°02'11.6"W?

Just make sure its a airstrike and not a Orbital Strike, the latter doesn't do anything.

Yes compass rose direction are universal, but in some maps other terminology is more effective. Voidstar in particular given the fact that the last room switches from east/west to north/east..

uh...voidstar is by far the worst map to rely on left/right as opposed to east/west. it's the only map where spawn orientation changes over the course of the game. every other map has visual distinctions or clear "natural" nodes. "north" is still west of "east" on those final doors. there's no possibility of confusing the two whether you say north or west.

not that L/R is something to rage or even be confused about (if you have half a brain), but that is the map in which the terms are least reliable.

Edited by foxmob

uh...voidstar is by far the worst map to rely on left/right as opposed to east/west. it's the only map where spawn orientation changes over the course of the game. every other map has visual distinctions or clear "natural" nodes. "north" is still west of "east" on those final doors. there's no possibility of confusing the two whether you say north or west.

not that L/R is something to rage or even be confused about (if you have half a brain), but that is the map in which the terms are least reliable.

No left/right is best for voidstar as the defender's spawn is always located between the two nodes, thus there is always a node to the left and the other to the right.

I actually called east and then called sand (no pylon had been capped yet) and some r'tard went off on me for not saying pylon. and get this, his rationale was that ppl won't know what you mean and it will pull ppl out of mid. pulling ppl out of mid is kinda the point, isn't it? lol

Every now and then, I miss playing, and then I see a reminder of how some things frustrate the **** out of me. One of them being, trying to own mid when you do not hold either side in hypergate.

There have been times where out the gate, I see no one is going and I often node guard regardless of what class I am playing and I run into 2 or 3 enemies. As soon as I see that, I'm humping LOS and just getting hits in or using stealth, spending my stuns while typing "NODE!" and no one checks, so I start hitting enter then up then enter to where I spam it; maybe someone does come, but then they take my place as I die. The excuse usually is that they don't want to just give the enemy mid. Mid doesn't do a damned bit of good if you don't at least capture the node first!

H Christ! I so want to play my slinger right now when I get back from this trip I'm on, but now I'm not sure. Got myself worked up just thinking about the frustration.

I always use east and west for void star, simply because it makes more sense. I tend to call the doors what they are actually called yet it still confuses some people. I mean when the bomb is planted it tells you what is east or west whatever so I could never fathom why people would find this was difficult to work out. East and west are the same on the map, and the doors correspond to the map. /shrug

This exactly. What I don't understand is how people are confused by calling the sides by the name the game calls them.

I mean when you see "the west door" or the Denova commander says, "the Empire has the Eastern emplacement," doesn't that sink in after awhile?

Edited by Master-Nala

In my rant I forgot to address the actual thread.

Bottom line is, I don't care what you call them, as long as you call. If anyone has a brain to listen, they should figure out if its not the one they are at already or not even if they call the wrong name in Voidstar since it has 2 nodes. The others generally have a mid location to be at, but even then, if you control one side and are at mid, you should know where to go,.

snip

Because it is better to speak the language of a dunce so that your team knows what you're saying, if you are as smart as you say then you can understand simple terms as well as big terms. People who only understand the simple terms seeing something complicated have to guess and **** something up in the process. You don't need to explain to a smart player how to do something so you cater your explanation to who need it, because that's the smart thing to do.

So what you're trying to say is that East/West always have fixed positions but Left/Right don't?

Hmm...

So... West is always <------ and East is always ----> on the map. But Left <---- and Right ---> can also be Left ---> and Right <----? Yeah, it's totally obvious now, people should use East/West, there won't be so much confusion.

If 7 people are fighting 4 people at the left door (SORRY, WEST DOOR! Confusion averted!) and someone yells "ZOMG, 4 INC, LEFT SIDE!!! HALP!!!!!!!!!!!!111" the average braindead person will get completely confused because "hey, we're at the left door and we're completely ok here, I'm just gonna continue killing until there's nothing red left".

:D i lol'd

No left/right is best for voidstar as the defender's spawn is always located between the two nodes, thus there is always a node to the left and the other to the right.

guess you've never had the idiot arguing with you that left is always left from the attacker's perspective. anyway, I don't think either method is difficult to figure out. that said...VS is the only map where saying L/R can be confused but E/W is absolute.

guess you've never had the idiot arguing with you that left is always left from the attacker's perspective. anyway, I don't think either method is difficult to figure out. that said...VS is the only map where saying L/R can be confused but E/W is absolute.

No I have never had an idiot argue that left is from the other side's perspective, and if someone did its probably them just making excuses to cover there tunnel visioning.

Edited by Zoom_VI

oh. no. he was screaming left on the first doors. I dropped down east. it's empty except for 1 guard. I start over to the other door and see "West plant" scroll in red. it was bad. not as bad as "why didn't you call?" "I was stunned," but it was bad. lol

The exception, which i have seen a total of 3 times. And they all know what you mean they just refuse to adapt themselves to it. Stupid stubborn people will stay stupid. Whatever, doesn't affect me.

People are quicker orientating on left and right than they are on east and west.....

Also if there are specific landmarks like "snow/grass" on alderaan civil war or "sand/solid" on hypergates people can relate to those even faster.

Yes on the L/R... Yes on the snow/grass...

Is sand/solid server specific?... because I have never seen anyone use that on our server... Might give it a try and see what people say

Yes on the L/R... Yes on the snow/grass...

Is sand/solid server specific?... because I have never seen anyone use that on our server... Might give it a try and see what people say

Or Sand/Tiles.. whatever. It's much easier and faster for anyone to relate to than east/west or left/right in that map.

No I have never had an idiot argue that left is from the other side's perspective, and if someone did its probably them just making excuses to cover there tunnel visioning.

I have to agree with Zoom... People know their left from their right... It is the easiest thing to remember in Void Star... If someone was to make the argument you have seen Fox... I think people would put them right pretty quick

Yes, east/west is absolute... So is left/right of the spawn point... If more people prefer or use L/R... Isn't it simpler to go with what the majority uses so they don't get confused??

I think you maybe in the minority that use East/West... Maybe it is a server thing... But it doesn't work on ours and people will tell you to use L/R

I have to agree with Zoom... People know their left from their right... .

LoL. I don't. Honestly, I don't know why, but left/right I've always had to "stop and think about it" for L/R. I even sometimes have to pantomime dribbling a basketball (because I suck at BB and can really only dribble with one hand :) ) or eating or something to convince myself that I've got it right. OTH, east/west "clicks" and I never have to second guess that on a map. But yes, I realize that's very odd, so I don't try to stop people using L/R. And since L/R are mostly used in VS, and in VS it's pretty easy to keep track of where both your team and the enemy is, it's usually not an issue to know where you are needed. :D

I think the best way to avoid confusion is to use the correct terms. Voidstar is a ship so it should be starboard/port or is bow/stern? The speeder ride disorients me so I'm not sure so I use what everyone else uses and call left right unless solo guarding then I tend to use "other door".

I think the best way to avoid confusion is to use the correct terms. Voidstar is a ship so it should be starboard/port or is bow/stern? The speeder ride disorients me so I'm not sure so I use what everyone else uses and call left right unless solo guarding then I tend to use "other door".

First post here that made me smile :p

Everyone is way too serious in here :rolleyes:

Or Sand/Tiles.. whatever. It's much easier and faster for anyone to relate to than east/west or left/right in that map.

Tried this last night... No one understood or even new what I meant... When I explained... They told me to use use our pylon or theirs as a reference... Ie pylon ours.. Pylon theirs... Or P ours... P theirs

West/East in Voidstar always.

Last night one person kept saying this... Every time the team told him to use Left/right... Ever time he called east west we lost the door if he was guarding

I knew what he meant... But I was the only one and I couldn't always get to him in time...

So to make it as simple as possible people should just stick to left right... Or even easier L / R and then how many

I guess this is server specific... If the majority of your server uses left right... Then adapt and use left right... If they use east west... Then use east west... No point in trying to convert the server because you wont adapt... If can't adapt, go to a server that uses your terminology

More annoying is when someone just calls out west or east or left etc... And no numbers... If half the team is in the respawn they may jump the wrong way when it is only one and they cap the other side... If there are 2 of you there and you call 1... Then we know there's one and you should be ok... If there are 2 of you there and you call 4... Then the right amount of people should come... Even worse is when you see your team pounding on 1 or 2 guys to kill them... Where is the rest of their team??... Smashing your other door or node... If you see there are hardly any of their team there and a heap of you... Leave combat and head to you other point... Making sure you leave just enough people to finish them off... Also read the map and the battle... Look around... I am usually one of the first to head to where they are going even before a call... Or even call for the person guarding because they can't see or are too slow