Class Forum Changes

EricMusco

I just cant tell if he's trolling or if he legitimately does not understand what is going on....I've always felt that splitting the forums the way there were was kind of silly considering the classes are mirrored....So I'm just extremely confused on what he actually has a problem with especially since he mentions pvp and pve class forums....that never existed..... so I want to assume he's just trolling.

Actually he posted in the CS forums asking where the Class Forums went, because he didn't check the Dev Tracker, so I'm pretty sure he's serious.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think this is a good idea, a lot of time when checking up on a specific AC you often find all the "experts" are in the mirror class forum or people are more focused on PvP chat in one forum than the other or it's just a pain to find the info you want especially if you have to convert terminologies and such.

I don't like this. I forsee more harm done than good. Lots of people come to class forums to discuss things that pertain to specific abilities. What happens when someone who only uses republic toons gets advice from someone who only uses imperial toons?

The confusion that occurs (because not everyone on the forums will realize the other person is talking about the mirrored class) I think will cause a lot of frustration more than anything else.

Even if class forums had a small amount of traffic in each I think it was still a benefit to have

I don't like this. I forsee more harm done than good. Lots of people come to class forums to discuss things that pertain to specific abilities. What happens when someone who only uses republic toons gets advice from someone who only uses imperial toons?

The confusion that occurs (because not everyone on the forums will realize the other person is talking about the mirrored class) I think will cause a lot of frustration more than anything else.

Even if class forums had a small amount of traffic in each I think it was still a benefit to have

Easily fixed by listing both abilities...

Sorry if this was already asked, I did not read every post, but what will happen to the old topics in the class forums? There were a lot of really good discussions that happened about the class stories and characters, will they be moved or lost forever?

Probably archived.

Probably archived.

Doubtful.

(...) Due to the volume of threads we will be moving it will take a bit to get everything moved over. It is my expectation that we will bring the new Class forum and subforums up by Friday of next week. Note that if you have any of those forums bookmarked you will need to update them once we go live. (...)
Edited by Darth_Wicked

Well it just occured to me why this is happening

Patch 3.0 is going to be bringing a lot of changes to each class.

So to avoid having to post the same thing twice in every forum, they're just spending a billion hours combining the mirrors with each other :p

It is most likely an automated process that takes 1 person to monitor... but a small investment now to set up the system as they want it will save a lot of time later in posting/discussing these potential class changes you speak of.

I think having the class forums combined makes sense. For instance, all the relevant class guides will be together now, so I won't have to get annoyed checking both the merc and mando sections just to find what I am looking for ;)

Edited by Oxidsed

• 2 weeks later...

Okey ..... so .... the class forums are merged now.

But what about the role subforum? I haven't seen a yellow post on that one and I am not about to look through every single classsubforum in order to find the posts.

Easiest example is (or was) the tanking subforum which mostly didn't focus on 1 specific class. I fear that removing the tanking subforum in particular will be a loss to the community. There is a lot of theorycrafting going on which now has to be done in the main class section. I fear that including general tanking threads in the main class section will will delude the discussion and attract less (dedicated) attention.

As a side note:

When can we expect the highly informative stickies like http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779 to be moved to an easier to find location?

• Dev Post
Okey ..... so .... the class forums are merged now.

But what about the role subforum? I haven't seen a yellow post on that one and I am not about to look through every single classsubforum in order to find the posts.

Easiest example is (or was) the tanking subforum which mostly didn't focus on 1 specific class. I fear that removing the tanking subforum in particular will be a loss to the community. There is a lot of theorycrafting going on which now has to be done in the main class section. I fear that including general tanking threads in the main class section will will delude the discussion and attract less (dedicated) attention.

As a side note:

When can we expect the highly informative stickies like http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779 to be moved to an easier to find location?

It seems I missed a few of the stickies that were residing in the Roles forum and their subforums. I will get those moved right away, all of those will now reside in the Class forums.

So, right now all of the posts that were sitting in the Roles forums and subforums have been collapsed into the Class forums. In looking at it, the volume in the individual Roles forums was low and so as part of the consolidation I thought it might be best to put it in the Class forum. However, it seems that you would all like to see the Roles forums return?

What I can do at this point is open a single subforum of Classes which is for Roles. Understand that this forum will be empty right now as all of those threads were collapsed into Classes. Let me know what you think, I am more than happy to add that forum if you guys think it is needed! I definitely didn't want to take conversation away from you with the change.

-eric

So, right now all of the posts that were sitting in the Roles forums and subforums have been collapsed into the Class forums. In looking at it, the volume in the individual Roles forums was low and so as part of the consolidation I thought it might be best to put it in the Class forum. However, it seems that you would all like to see the Roles forums return?

I would like to see the Roles forums return. They may not have had high volume but they provided a lot of useful cross class information that I think will be lost in the "noise" of the main class forum.

It seems I missed a few of the stickies that were residing in the Roles forum and their subforums. I will get those moved right away, all of those will now reside in the Class forums.

What I can do at this point is open a single subforum of Classes which is for Roles. Understand that this forum will be empty right now as all of those threads were collapsed into Classes. Let me know what you think, I am more than happy to add that forum if you guys think it is needed! I definitely didn't want to take conversation away from you with the change.

-eric

Make a roles subforum, and make it like the old server forums, with prefixes?

-eric

Count me as well for wanting the roles subforum to come back.

Also, not to be that guy, but the new icons for each class's subforum look like they were done in 5 minutes in MS Paint. They really lack the quality and look of the other subforum icons.